Upgrade Fairy – might be a fraud!

Get this - A co-worker bragged to me about his upgrade. He was so proud that they received an upgrade after only sailing twice on RCCL (in standard OV cabins) and I have never received one in 17 sailings.

I asked him how he got it and he said RCCL called his wife and offered it to her. She was in the office a few days later and I asked her how she thought she got the upgrade. She told me to keep it quiet but she did not actually get an upgrade. She wanted a suite rather than the OV cabin – he said no – so she made up the upgrade story. She is paying for the difference in the two cabins. (I guess they keep separate checking accounts.)

Those who report the magnificent upgrade from inside to balcony – check your credit card statement or with your spouse first. :)

Marci

We actually did get a SUPER upgrade on our first cruise. We booked the very bottom (deck 2), three months later, our Travel agent called and advised that we had been moved up to deck 5 or 6 which was an oceanview cabin. We were very happy with that. However, once we arrived at the pier, the lady indicated - "Oh, your cabin changed. We didnt' know what happened but she said - Now you are on deck 7 and have a balcony. WOW - talk about surprised and well, we haven't booked anything else since _ Love those balconies.

Penquin6969's story happened to friends of ours on our last cruise--booked a deck 4 inside--got upgraded to a deck 9 balcony!!! It's true! This was their 1st cruise ever, on any line. We always book a specific cabin, because I want to be sure I'm happy with my accomodations. I think folks who book guarantees are more likely to be moved later. Since I won't sail in less than a JS, I doubt I'd get any benefit from trying to do a guarantee--do they even do suite guarantees? I don't know!

I actually did this once. Not on a cruise, but in Hawaii. We were booked at the Westin Maui in a garden view room. I wanted an ocean front room, and my partner did not want to pay that much money. So I booked us in a ocean front and paid for it myself. Since it was a package, it was all paid for in advance, and he just thought they they upgraded us cause we are gold starwood members. Needless to say that now he is spoiled with the ocean front, so in the long run, I think I screwed myself cause that is all he wants now.

That is a perfect story... I love it. It actually sounds like something I would pull off as well. So, folks, I guess there's no upgrade fairy, Easter rabbit, tooth fairy or Santa... My bubble has popped. :D (Don't tell the kids)...

So, folks, I guess there's no upgrade fairy, Easter rabbit, tooth fairy or Santa... My bubble has popped. :D (Don't tell the kids)...

No upgrade fairy??? I can live without the others, but, no upgrade fairy - what will I do? No wonder I've been waiting in vain all these years :o !

Hey, On my first cruise my friends who were the experts on cruising having been on 1 cruise took care of the reservations. We had an outside cabin reserved and were upgraded to a balcony! Wow, the catch we had all paid the brochure rate..... duh. So my first cruise was my most expensive and my finest accomodations (when I'm in charge of the pennies, it's just get me on the ship!)

I have gotten one other upgrade on Celebrity when I got a good deal on an inside and was upgraded to outside. That's in 12 cruises. So they are rare.

Archived