Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

For San Juan resorts is it zone 8?

Need one night, mid-week, for March 17th......too early to start bidding??

Would March be considered shoulder season? What should I start at?

Thanks,

Marty

I got the same hotel for early march for the same price. I have seen it higher but not lower. I started at 80 and went up 10 a couple times. It told me that they would let me have it for $111 if I said ok, so I did.

I got the same hotel for early march for the same price. I have seen it higher but not lower. I started at 80 and went up 10 a couple times. It told me that they would let me have it for $111 if I said ok, so I did.

Thank you.......Am I correct that Priceline did not divulge the actual name of the hotel until you accepted the $111 bid? Since it appears that the Marriott seems to be going for between $100-$150, why not just start at around

$110? Marty

Just got the Marriott Stellaris (1 night Pre-Cruise)

4/30/11-5/1/11

San Juan (last selection on list of areas)

3.5+* (they upgraded to Resort) $105.00 + fees = 124.93

Bidding history (all bids were for 3.5+* San Juan)

95.00 rejected but they countered with $115.00 and get it then.

98.00 rejected but they countered with $118.00 and get it then.

I was going to try $100 but was fairly sure $105 would work since it was 1/2 way between 1st bid and their offer.

This was my first Priceline experience and it was quite easy.......keyed in San Juan/resorts/zone 8 as previously described.

My initial bid was for $95 and they requested $115.

Rather than play around I agreed to the $115 and was given

a reservation for 3/17/11 at the Marriott Stellaris.

Total was 115 + 21.18 = $136.18

(An AAA reservation would have been $290.28)

Thanks

Marty:)

This was my first Priceline experience and it was quite easy.......keyed in San Juan/resorts/zone 8 as previously described.

My initial bid was for $95 and they requested $115.

Rather than play around I agreed to the $115 and was given

a reservation for 3/17/11 at the Marriott Stellaris.

Total was 115 + 21.18 = $136.18

(An AAA reservation would have been $290.28)

Thanks

Marty:)

Congratulations:)its always great when you are happy with

the hotel and get the room at a great price too:D

Thank you.......Am I correct that Priceline did not divulge the actual name of the hotel until you accepted the $111 bid? Since it appears that the Marriott seems to be going for between $100-$150, why not just start at around

$110? Marty

You are correct. They didn't tell me which hotel until I had accepted the bid.

At the time, I had seen lower prices so I started lower. You should do whatever you are comfortable with.

I was actually hoping for a different hotel. This one is fine since the price is so much cheaper than I paid when I booked directly last year that I can afford to take cabs everywhere if I need to and still save money. We had the best location last year to spend a few days in old san juan and walk or trolley everywhere. This year, we will take a cab to get to old san juan. I can live with that :-)

The Marriott gets good reviews and the location is fine for us. If anyone is interested in renting a car, Charlie's Car rental has an office adjacent to the Marriott and the prices are good.

The Priceline reservation receipt mentioned I could add a day(s) to my winning reservation within 120 days. Has anyone ever done that? Jet blue has not listed March flights to SJU yet but I might want to add to my San Juan pre cruise once I book air.

Thanks again to everyone for their great advice.

Marty

Marty, We added a day to our Priceline win with no problems. We won the Marriott for one night and decided we wanted to stay for two. Just followed their prompts to add a night, you decide if you want it before or after your original reservation.

Hi,

Had never done this, went on Hotwire (because of people getting the Sheraton Old San Juan) and got it! January 20 and 21st, $99.00/night, am thrilled, its the one I wanted!!!!

Thanks for all the tips!

newlu

You probably won't see Jet Blue flights extended past Feb. 28th until mid August or first part of September and they are sometimes not as cheap as the major carriers. I'm booking one way to SJU for mid January but can find a return fare cheaper elsewhere. I might just wait it out and see if they reduce their prices.

The Marriott gets good reviews and the location is fine for us. If anyone is interested in renting a car, Charlie's Car rental has an office adjacent to the Marriott and the prices are good.

The Priceline reservation receipt mentioned I could add a day(s) to my winning reservation within 120 days. Has anyone ever done that? Jet blue has not listed March flights to SJU yet but I might want to add to my San Juan pre cruise once I book air.

Thanks again to everyone for their great advice.

Marty

Jet Blue just released dates through Feb. 28. I have been waiting FOREVER and now it shows no flights available on the day we fly down and $600pp for the flight back! I wish I had booked a few months ago when the other carriers had fares for $458 rt! Now they are all $550-600. All that just to try to save checked bag fees. I will never wait on Jet Blue again. I am going to wait to see if the major carrier fares go down again, hopefully they will 3-4 months before our trip.

We also have a credit on Jet Blue which we are using for our outbound flight but the return fares are at least $100 pp more than on other airlines. If they don't come down soon I'll use another carrier as we're still six months out.

Thanks....I have a nice credit on Jet Blue so I figured I'd use it on SJU but I'll certainly check to see what's available on other carriers.....Marty

President's day in 2011 is February 21st so any flights from around 2/18/11 through 2/28/11 are going to be inflated and costly. If you need flights during that period grab them now.....I doubt those fares will ever come down.......Kids in San Juan schools only have the 21st off. Kids in NY and many other states get the entire week off and it is a popular vacation week.....Marty

Edited by martyap

Priceline, zone 8, 3.5 stars bid of $87 accepted for 11/5 (pre-cruise). Verdanza Hotel looks to be conveniently located-not far from airport or pier and near a beach. :)

Edited by camp15
spelling

Just won a priceline bid for San Juan PR :

bid San Juan and Rio Grande

3 1/2 *'s

Got El Conquistador Resort - Waldorf Astoria in Rio Grande

Now we have to add a rental car since Rio Grande is approx. 30 min. from San Juan.

Have you thought about trying for a 3*? Some nice hotels available, maybe even save a few dollars. I had been trying for resort or 3 1/2* for mid January.. was getting no where. Had bid up to nearly $150 ++ with no results. Finally decided to lower my bid and try for 3*.. Received Marriott Courtyard for 95.. quite pleased, especially since we won't be arriving until later in the day. Reviews all seemed favorable too.

Just a thought.. good luck!

I finally got brave and booked the 3 1/2 star on hotwire with tennis nearby for 119 plus tax for 2/27-2/28/11. It is Sheraton Old San Juan. Which is exactly what we wanted.

Karylrocks,

We were seeing the same thing. We finally booked out of PDX leaving 2/18 and returning on 2/28 for 515 pp in Mid April. I was looking on Travelocity last night and they have some flights for about $450.00 they are not the best connections but you might want to check them out.

Bolt:)

Edited by bolt

Courtyard By Marriott San Juan Miramar

$99.00 - $118.15 with taxes

3 Star

02/05/2011

Finally got something!

Donna,

Congratulations. You have been working on this.

The Miramar is an excellent hotel and you got a great price.

3 Star

02/05/2011

Finally got something!

Congratulations Donna! I've watched you bid persistently. Hopefully that was the last detail you had to handle for the group! Enjoy your vacation :)

Congrats Donna - All of the Marriott properties are great. I'm sure you will love it. Good price too. :)

3 Star

02/05/2011

Finally got something!