Millennium - Live

excitedofharpenden

A quick report from the ship. We are at sea today on our way down to Santorini. Ship’s log at 12 noon, the depth of sea is 8061 feet, the wind 30 knots gusting to 65 and the weather is thundery showers.

We joined Millennium last Saturday in Venice with sunny skies and nice temperatures. Not too hot. Venice really is as wonderful as it looks in pictures, but boy it gets busy! We’d just finished a fantastic 8 day pre-cruise tour of Italy taking in Rome, Siena, Florence and Como and the busy schedule was both enjoyable and enlightening to someone who has never been to Italy. Dubrovnik yesterday was beautiful. If you feel up to it you must walk around the city walls for some spectacular views. I did the whole thing, but you can just do sections if you want.

Embarkation was painless. It is good to be back on a Celebrity ship again! This is my first time on an M-Class ship and so far I am VERY impressed. Once again the reports of a tatty old rust bucket are unfounded (at least to my eyes). The ship looks in fine order. No nasty smells around that I have noticed either. The new mattress and bedding is very nice too and comfortable. I’m in inside cabin 7097. This is my first time in an inside and I would have no hesitation in staying in one again. Plenty of space to hang clothes and a good sized shower. I miss the balcony somewhat, but the location makes it easy to get out on deck and most importantly, I am on the ship! I haven’t decided whether I like the M-Class more than Galaxy or Mercury. I’ll give it a few days. I am finding it more difficult to navigate, but that is probably from not being familiar with the layout yet. One area that I do prefer on Galaxy and Mercury is the T-Pool. Too busy on this ship for my liking. It feels much more like a private spa on the smaller ships. I really hope they don’t dispense with the T-Pool on Galaxy and Mercury if they do make them over a la Century.

The weather is stormy at the moment. Take a look at the Celebrity at Sea webcam. Rain, wind and pretty rough seas. Millie is handling it fine.

Just a word on bringing wine aboard. I bought a couple of bottles whilst in the Chianti wine region and was able to bring/sneak/smuggle (delete as appropriate) it on with no problems. Others in our group similarly had no problems.

That’s it for now. I’ll do a fuller review when I’m home, but to sum up I love this ship and crew and am looking forward to the rest of the ports of call.

Phil

Thanks for the positive comments aboout the Millennium. Happy to hear about the new bedding and the odorless trip. We are making the same voyage next June so I will be looking forward to your review and future posts. Enjoy!

Cheryl

Hi Phil. Great to hear you are having a good time on the Millie. Gwynn & I sailed her 2 years ago and loved her. Seems like we were always popping in to the pizza area of the buffet at night even though we weren't really hungry. Just loved the pizzas.:D

Dianne

It is good hearing from you again, Phil. Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself. Hope the weather conditions improve by the time you arrive at Santorini! We will also be on the same sailing as Cheryl next year (Venice-Barcelona) and are really looking forward to it.

By the way, when was your CC party scheduled on this trip?

If you get a chance, could you please take a picture of the new bedding on the Millennium?

I'm dying to see what the new bed linens look like on the M-class ships, and I understand that Millennium is the first to be updated.

If you have any other pictures of the Millennium that you can post, I'd be very grateful, as we're sailing on her next spring.

Thanks so much.

I'm dying to see what the new bed linens look like on the M-class ships, and I understand that Millennium is the first to be updated.

I believe Century was first and Galaxy was slated for an August upgrade. Perhaps the upgrade is fleet wide as ports permit. There were some pictures of bedding on one of the Century sites right after her refurb.

I am sure like every ship there are some things wrong here and there but on all of the Celebrity ships I have sailed- the ships were clean, in good repair and elegant. I don't want people to come on these boards and think that they are tired old ships- that certainly hasn't been my experience.

In fact, one thing about Celebrity is that I find no offensive odors, stale smoke, exhaust odors by the pool or when walking on the deck, no strange food orders or musty carpet smells. I am very sensitive to smell. I have noticed odors on NCL and Carnival and found that the quality of materials on Celebrity are the best I have seen at sea. Everything from chairs to hand rails to upholstery. I really am picky and Celebrity has never disappointed me.

Or perhaps the correct greeting for this trip:

buon giorno

Glad you seem to be having a great time. Too bad about the rough weather. I think the 'M' ship will grow on you. I know we enjoyed Infinity, and are looking forward to Constellation in Jan. Keep us posted! Would love to do that trip some day.

I believe Century was first and Galaxy was slated for an August upgrade. Perhaps the upgrade is fleet wide as ports permit. There were some pictures of bedding on one of the Century sites right after her refurb.

I have seen the pictures of the upgraded Century bedding, but was wondering if the Millennium-class ships will look the same. Odds are they will, but this was a chance to ask someone who is on an M-class ship.

Thanks for your help, though. Always appreciated. :)

Phil--

It is so generous of you to bring the ship to me next week. We're on the Oct 5 sailing and are packed and ready to go!!

Thank you for the wine update. I want to ---whatever--some Cava on from Barcelona.

When you sail into Barcelona look up at Monjuic, the crazy person jumping up and down and waving like mad will be me!!!

Dear Phil,

Thanks for posting. We were on the Millennium in June of this year on the same itinerary. The itinerary really is unbeatable. We did not have the new bedding but I am sure would have enjoyed it very much. Do you have new duvets/bedspreads as well?

You will love Santorini. It was one of our favorite ports. Make sure you visit Oia it was the highlight of the trip for us.

Have a wonderful wonderful cruise.

Nancy

The weather has calmed somewhat and it has been a beautiful day in Santorini. The place is mobbed. I got on the tender and arrived on the island at about 11am to find a huge queue for the cable car. Got back on the tender and went back to the ship and waited until after lunch by which time the queue had disappeared and I was hearing stories from my cruise pals that there was a two hour wait at the top to get back down and people were melting. I forfeited the 3.50 euros and headed back to the ship again. I don't like shopping for jewellery that much and didn't fancy the walk or the donkey ride!

I have a few comparisons to make now with the smaller ships and I am finding that some things I prefer on Millie and others I prefer on Mercury and Galaxy. There are definitely more options here to dine and the Speciality Restaurant last night was superb as I was expecting. Yes, the goats cheese souffle is not to be missed. I like the Aqua Spa food too. A little bit more healthy than the burgers and pizzas. I'm finding it more difficult to find that little place away from the crowds on deck. Maybe something to do with the aft of the ship being taken up by the balconies.

Time is limited and the connection is a bit slow, but David, I have taken a couple of pictures of the inside cabin to add to your website together with that new bedding. I'll post them when I am back home. The CC party was at 10am on the first sea day. I made it in spite of losing an hour that night!

Arno, the CD is Simon Weir and the captain's name escapes me for the moment. I think it might be something like Tamazakis. I'll confirm it and post.

Meanwhile we have a tour in Athens tomorrow, which I am looking forward to.

Phil

Time is limited and the connection is a bit slow, but David, I have taken a couple of pictures of the inside cabin to add to your website together with that new bedding. I'll post them when I am back home. The CC party was at 10am on the first sea day. I made it in spite of losing an hour that night!

Thanks, Phil! I'll save my other questions for when you come back!

Hi Phil, Glad you are having such a wonderful time:)

Thanks for the updates and I value your opinion very much

so I know I am going to have a wonderful time trying

Millie for the first time too;). I am lucky though,

and can say I have sailed her sister ships so I am aware

of the M-Class----C-Class differences.

Again, thanks for the live updates. It is appreciated.

Phil, I'm so glad you're having such a good cruise. I keep waiting for the "pose!" Enjoy your day in Athens tomorrow. I sure wish I was with you. Hopefully, someday Bob and I will get to visit there.;)

Garry

I KNEW there was a reason I was drawn to this page today.

Hello Phil, always great to hear from someone while they are on AND enjoying their cruise. The T-pool is very nice but does (as you mentioned) get pretty crowded. I believe it was George who told us we should go very early before "the water turns yellow" so that's what we did. If you are an early bird, the first hour or so that it's open you will have it pretty much to yourself.

Hey, by the time you are on board Constellation next year you'll be an M class expert.......................Chuck

Hi Phil~

Sorry Santorrini was such a pain. I can't wait to hear about Athens tomorrow! That is close to the top of the list of places I want to see in the next couple of years.

You made me smile when you mentioned how much you like the specialty restaurant and Aqua Spa cafe ... aren't they marvelous dining alternatives? Sounds you are making the most of this trip!

Nicki

Arno, the CD is Simon Weir and the captain's name escapes me for the moment. I think it might be something like Tamazakis. I'll confirm it and post.

Phil

Hi Phil:

Master: Captain Michael Karatzas? is listed on our who's who

If you could perhaps find out what happened to Dru Pavlov. He was the CD while Simon was the temporary Hotel Director. I'm hoping that Dru is headed back to Mercury.

Archived