Live from the Amsterdam

SharonN

Well have a few moments so thought I'd post from the Amsterdam. We pulled out of New York about 2 hrs ago and had a nice view of the City and the Statue in spite of it being somewhat overcast. So far the ship is much like I remember it from my 2001 Baltic cruise. The big difference is that I'm traveling solo this trip for my first time. It's definitely not the same without my late DH but I'm planning on having a nice cruise anyway. Only problem is I've been assigned to 8:30 dinner but since I booked so late I figured that would happen. Tomorrow we're in Newport and I'll try to check in again from there.

Well have a few moments so thought I'd post from the Amsterdam. We pulled out of New York about 2 hrs ago and had a nice view of the City and the Statue in spite of it being somewhat overcast. So far the ship is much like I remember it from my 2001 Baltic cruise. The big difference is that I'm traveling solo this trip for my first time. It's definitely not the same without my late DH but I'm planning on having a nice cruise anyway. Only problem is I've been assigned to 8:30 dinner but since I booked so late I figured that would happen. Tomorrow we're in Newport and I'll try to check in again from there.

Thanks Sharon; we love Newport. NMNita

Sharon:

I was sorry to read of your husband's passing earlier this year; I see you had to cancel several cruises that you and he were planning together. I hope you have a wonderful time on Amsterdam, and that your husband will be close to you in spirit, may he rest in peace. Thanks for posting live from the ship for us!

Karin

Hi Sharon,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I took my first solo cruise three months after my DH passed away and can imagine how you are feeling right now. As Ruth says it does get easier to handle with each cruise.

Have a wonderful trip and God bless.

Valerie:)

Well she hasn't posted again yet ... so hopefully that's because she's having such a wonderful time aboard that elegant ship. I've sailed lots of times as a solo, and while I am sure she misses her husband dearly, I have no doubt she can still have a wonderful cruise aboard her. Let's hope that is exactly what she is doing ... at least I'll pray for that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Mom and I traveled a lot together. As it happened, she went to glory just after picking up our tickets for the next cruise. The next year, when I started cruising again, the first two days felt like a mistake, but after that, I could sense her with me and I had a fine time "with" her on that, and following, cruises.

Thanks for all the nice messages. So far I'm doing well and have already met quite a few other people traveling solo so that definitely helps. It won't be the same but I'm determined to have a good time anyway! The ship is very familar since we were on it back in 2001 for a Baltic cruise. We had really nice weather in Newport today. We were here in 1990 and had seen the Breakers so I decided to do something different this time. I took the Harbor Cruise and Rose Island Lighthouse tour which was very well done. Very scenic and the stories on how they restored the lighthouse were very interesting. Not sure I'd really want to stay there being the lightkeeper for a week (which you can do for between $800 and $2000 a week depending on time of year). I think I'll stick with the 8:30 at this point. The people at the table are nice and I certainly don't have to worry about getting back on board early. Well I think I'll go see if they're still serving ice cream before getting dressed up for our first formal night. Tomorrow is Gloucester. I'll check in again soon.

Mom and I traveled a lot together. As it happened, she went to glory just after picking up our tickets for the next cruise. The next year, when I started cruising again, the first two days felt like a mistake, but after that, I could sense her with me and I had a fine time "with" her on that, and following, cruises.

Oh, that gives me hope! Thanks. We took Mom on a Costa cruise in March of this year. She died unexpectedly in May. We've got a cruise booked for next March, but I've been having mixed feelings about the trip. I know I'll be thinking of her and feeling like she should be there with us. Maybe, I, too, will feel her with me and it'll be ok.

Oh, that gives me hope! Thanks. We took Mom on a Costa cruise in March of this year. She died unexpectedly in May. We've got a cruise booked for next March, but I've been having mixed feelings about the trip. I know I'll be thinking of her and feeling like she should be there with us. Maybe, I, too, will feel her with me and it'll be ok.
I am sure she would want you to continue enjoying cruising; by enjoying it you can remember her. Sometimes getting over losing someone can be very hard, other times we seem to take it easier. I remember when we lost my mom< I was very close to her, but she had been sick for a long time and I was young with 3 kids to raise. I missed her terribly and still do 40 years later but when my dad died at 93, it was a total shock, age or not. It took me much longer to go on with my life. Everytime we did something that he would enjoy I would think about it and remember the times we shared. At the same time I knew he was enjoying seeing us enjoy our adventures. Go and enjoy. NMNita

I am sure she would want you to continue enjoying cruising; by enjoying it you can remember her. Sometimes getting over losing someone can be very hard, other times we seem to take it easier. I remember when we lost my mom< I was very close to her, but she had been sick for a long time and I was young with 3 kids to raise. I missed her terribly and still do 40 years later but when my dad died at 93, it was a total shock, age or not. It took me much longer to go on with my life. Everytime we did something that he would enjoy I would think about it and remember the times we shared. At the same time I knew he was enjoying seeing us enjoy our adventures. Go and enjoy. NMNita

Thanks, Nita. Lost my dad back in 1998, and like your Mom, he'd been sick a long time. It was still hard, but losing my Mom so suddenly has been devastating. We used to do everything together; she enjoyed life so much, in spite of the many hard times she endured. Everything reminds me of her. It's a mixed blessing, the wonderful memories but knowing she's gone and there won't be anymore. Not in this life, anyway. Thanks for your encouragement.

Hi Sharon,

So glad to hear that you enjoyed Newport. We here in Rhode Island often take it for granted. It is beautiful any time of the year.

I'll be on the Amsterdam on October 17th, and really looking forward to it.

Gloucester is also very nice. If your a seafood lover, be sure to get your fill of scallops, lobster, shrimp, and all the great seafood New England has to offer.

Enjoy your cruise.

Don.

Well almost wasn't going to post today since it really wasn't the best of days but as usual I'm trying to make the best of things. The weather certainly took a change. It was very foggy and raining most of the day. I had a 12:45 Whale Watching tour scheduled but they cancelled it. Understandable but it would have been nice if they'd told us before we got on the tender. So it was off the tender, trying to find someone to verify it was canceled (the last person boarding the tender said she heard it was as she was coming down the stairs) and then back in line for another tender. They didn't have any other options at that point (told me I could walk into town but that didn't seem too appealing by myself in the rain). So it turned into sort of a sea day so did some reading etc. A bit too quiet for me at this point as I kept thinking about what we used to do and one low point this afternoon but got past it. Part of the process I guess. I'm still a bit worried about dinner tonight but we'll see. The other solo women at my table has switched to an earlier time so wasn't there last night. The 2 men who were at our table the first night weren't there last night. Two other chairs have been empty both nights. So that left me with the one couple celebrating their 60th. They mentioned going to the Lido tonight so there's a good chance I'll be dining alone at a table for 8. Oh well. Hopefully the weather will be better in Bar Harbor tomorrow. Thanks for listening!

Well almost wasn't going to post today since it really wasn't the best of days but as usual I'm trying to make the best of things. The weather certainly took a change. It was very foggy and raining most of the day. I had a 12:45 Whale Watching tour scheduled but they cancelled it. Understandable but it would have been nice if they'd told us before we got on the tender. So it was off the tender, trying to find someone to verify it was canceled (the last person boarding the tender said she heard it was as she was coming down the stairs) and then back in line for another tender. They didn't have any other options at that point (told me I could walk into town but that didn't seem too appealing by myself in the rain). So it turned into sort of a sea day so did some reading etc. A bit too quiet for me at this point as I kept thinking about what we used to do and one low point this afternoon but got past it. Part of the process I guess. I'm still a bit worried about dinner tonight but we'll see. The other solo women at my table has switched to an earlier time so wasn't there last night. The 2 men who were at our table the first night weren't there last night. Two other chairs have been empty both nights. So that left me with the one couple celebrating their 60th. They mentioned going to the Lido tonight so there's a good chance I'll be dining alone at a table for 8. Oh well. Hopefully the weather will be better in Bar Harbor tomorrow. Thanks for listening!

I can understand how you are feeling. My best friend had a slow battle with throat cancer which he eventually lost March 15,2005. During his illness when he was stable, I took a solo and did ok, but when I was alone, I would break down because I knew it was hopeless for him. We did a lot of travelling and cruises together, so he is in my mind a lot when I travel.

But I was assigned a great cabin and sat at a large table. I actually had a good time overall and it was good for the stress I was feeling at the time.

You should talk to the Matre d' and ask to be seated at another large table.

I know you will enjoy youself overall.

Sharon, I found that sharing my cruise with friends on Cruise Critic to be a nice sharing.

You're right---what you're going through is part of the process. And it may take several cruises before you settle in. But it will happen. Chin up. :)

Sorry the weather turned as it did. I thought of you when I heard the weather report on the 6:00 PM news last night.

SharonN......you are such a brave lady, I have so much respect for you. What you are doing is living your life, your husband would have wanted you to do just that. I know how hard it must be for you, especially sitting with another couple celebrating their anniversary. If you feel uncomfortable, then go to the buffet...no one says that you have to eat in the dinning room every night, especially if your not up to it. Do what you feel. I truly hope that you enjoy the rest of your cruise....I will be thinking of you....

Well today was definitely better. The weather in Bar Harbor was a bit cool but partly sunny and clear so the views were great. I took the Cadiallac Mountain and lunch at Jordon Pond House tour which was really nice. Lunch was really good with a salad, popovers (which were great!), chowder, and then a big plate of Salmon, Chicken, Crab Cakes, Rice, and Brocolli to share with the table. Dessert was home made icecream with chocolate or blueberry sauce. It was all good but I think we'd have all been happy with just the popovers. The view from the mountain was very nice.

Well I did end up being the only one at my table last night but the table behind me only had one couple so I joined them and it was a very pleasant evening. Not sure what will happen tonight but I'm sure it will work out somehow. A couple of women I met on tour the other day are meeting me for breakfast tomorrow before our tours leave so that will also be nice.

I was going to list who's on the ship etc but left the paper in my cabin so will do that tomorrow after a day in Halifax.

Thanks!

Archived