How Did You Meet Your Significant Other?

Vicar

Okay time for another fun poll *LOL*

We all know how old eachother is *LOL*

and how many cruises we have been on and where everyone is from.

We always mention our DHs and DWs and SOs in our posts, I thought it would be fun to learn how everyone met.

A friend introduced us at a restaurant... initially, I didn't want to date my DH because he was a marine (I thought they were all "bad boys"). He talked me into it - 3 months after dating, we married - we've been married for 17 years!

We worked at the same place. We lived across the street from one another, and he placed a carpool rider ad. I responded. What's really funny is that when I looked up his "records" in my office, I saw his age and thought he was too old for me, LOL.....We've been very happily married 21 years. I am 41, he is 55.

Marie

We were both in the Canadian Forces. He just got posted to the base I was posted.

He was signing in to the Hospital where I worked and asked if he could arrange to see a doctor. I asked if it was for him or his wife or children. He said he was single. I got him a 1:00 pm appointment.

He did not show up. I had looked at his chart and realized he may have a problem, so I took the chart to the doctor on call. The doctor told me to find him ASAP. I went to his barracks and opened the door with the Master key after receiving no answer to my pounding. I found him out cold. Called the ambulance and went back to the hospital with him.

Due to reg, I check him over and took all the cash he had and opened an account on base for him. Bank rules at the time required that it be a joint account. I brought the card back for him to sign.

When he came to, two days later, he wanted to meet me. I dropped in said hi and brought some toiletiries for him. He asked me out for dinner when he was released from hospital.

We got married 6 months later. :rolleyes:

We're both from the same city Kharkov (North East of Ukraine) but we met next to Yalta (one of the popular resorts on Black Sea) in 1990.

I was at the student camp-resort.. and he was just renting an appartment for couple of weeks with his friends. We were very good friends for some time and I had another boyfriend, but I guess my husband won. ;) We got married next April , I was 19 (3rd year of University) and he was 18 (2nd). :)

We are married for 13 years now and have 12 years old son.

We met at a flood.

My hometown is on the St. Croix River which flooded in 1965. We were both among the young people filling sandbags to make a dike to keep the water out of the downtown area & we struck up a conversation. I always said I married him because our meeting made such a good story to tell our grandchildren. We now actually have grandchildren & have been married 36 years.

I was set up on a date with a friend of a friend. We were to meet at a bar after work. When i got there the girl I had the date with was sitting with a few of her friends having a drink while waiting for me .

From the git go me and this girl didn't have a lot in common and it just wasn't clicking.

However one of her friends at the table and I were.

That was 4 years ago and (don't tell her :)) but I got the ring and plan to spring it on her on our upcoming trip to Vegas

I went into a furniture store to buy a desk. I asked out the saleswoman who sold it to me, two weeks later we got engaged and 6 months after that we were married. We've been married 6 years and we love each other as much as when we first met.

It turned out the desk didn't match her furniture, so after we got engaged she made me return the desk and buy a different one. But at least I got the second one at cost.:D

CaptData. That is one heck of story. Doubt anyone else met that way.

We were "setup" at a singles dance at a place called the Old Mill out in the boondocks. I had just had a wedding for my youngest daughter, so now I was alone, as all three daughters were now married. They encouraged me to start going out.

Rita was recently divorced and was to be introduced to me by a mutual friend. As it turned out we started dancing together before the introduction and it was an instance click! We found out we graduated from the same high school--two years apart.

We "dated" for a little over a year and then ran off to Vegas and got married. ;) ;)

What was a boy from the Bronx doing in Maine? I had just been discharged from the Air Force, going to school, and got a summer job in a boys camp taking the little monsters on canoe and camping trips. She was the camp nurse, standing in front of the nature shack when I first saw her, surroundered by many men. My military and camping instincts/training took over and soon we were alone. That as in 1958, married in 1959 and the license is good for another few decades.

Well, my story isn't quite as exciting or romantic as most of the above. I met my DW in a music appreciation class in college. She fell for me instantly! :D (It took me a bit longer ... but it was inevitable!) 35 years on August 9th.

Ekerr19, I was waiting for you to say, "And then I found out that he truly was a bad boy!" ;)

We met on a blind date arranged by a mutual aquaintance (not even a close friend). He was in town on business and I was most reluctant because of the age difference (14 years), and he was divorced with 2 children. (Please, no baggage - I'm a young, single girl ! ! !)

When he came to pick me up that evening I opened the door to this handsome man who said "Hello love, you look charming." I melted. My mother who was sitting in the living room behind me melted also. Two years later(and madly in love), I transferred to the city he lived in and chased him until he caught me. We were married 4 years after we first met and have been married for 27 wonderful years. We have one son, age 22 and his kids, ages 37 and 40. Interestingly enough, I'm only 10 years older than his daughter, but we all get along famously. Age has never played a role in our relationship - except maybe that it's kept him much younger than his peers ... they all look and act m-u-c-h older than he does.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

ger 77

Age is no big thing when you are truly happy and in love

On our first date Gf and I were talking and she told me that she had a two year old son ( I could see her reluctance thinking that would have sent me running.)

I told her that didn't bother me at all seeing I had a 13 year old daughter. We both kind of took a deep breath and enjoyed the rest of the evening, it was in the car when I took her home that it hit us that she is only 11 years older than my daughter. And since that day it has never been an issue.

:) Hi....and yes, there are some of us with no Hubby's, wives, partners, whatever the term is these days;) .

I have been on my own for so long...not sure I would know what to do IF I ever met a guy again:eek: .....I haven't had to share the clicker with anyone in years...LOL

Some of your stories are really nice though...Capt Data...sounds very special......you saved his life.

Some of my friends have told me....you will meet someone...and it will probably be on a cruiseship one day.....

I stopped looking......years ago......pretty happy with my life...but who knows...maybe one day my ship will really sail......with me and someone else on it too LOL

We met in 1973 during my 2nd year of college when he sat next to me in our Computer Science 200 class. He missed a few classes due to some minor surgery so asked me to help him catch up and we started having Homework Dates. Once I almost electrocuted him in our Physics lab. We got engaged 2 years later when he graduated and got married the following year after I graduated. It seems like it was just yesterday but.....

We met at work on his first day of work. It was love at first site for me.

He worked the midnight shift and I worked days. I thought up every reason in the book to work at at night - be a computer techie in the early 80s that was too hard. Finally a year later he got transferred to days and we started talking more and more.

For some odd reason Lord and Taylor was discontinuing selling Cartier watches (why were they selling them to begin with?) and I felt if I was ever going to be able to afford one this was my chance. Brent said he wanted to go with me. He met me at the front door and said, "your charriet or mine". A week later we went out on our first date to see E.T. and on that date we stopped by Lord and Taylor and Brent bought the man's version of my Cartier watch.

We married 2 years later, and just celebrated our 20th anniversary.

These are all terrific! What a fun idea:) . I moved to New York City at 24 to seek my fortune, i.e. husband. By the time I was 36 I decided that I enjoyed my own company and the company of many and gave up the whole idea.

My best friend asked me to come help her during an office "move" to another floor. She mentioned the architect for the project would be there. He was and when I criticized the design of the space he instantly detested me. But he was gentlemanly enough to walk me up Lexington to 57th where I could catch my bus home. Instead, we stopped for coffee and talked until 6 in the morning.

It took me 5 years to talk him into marrying me:D but it was worth the effort. We have an amazing life together. It was one of those split seconds in time that might never have happened. And so to Lois I say, you never know;) .

P.S. Capt. Data you gave me chills and brought a tear. Beautiful story.

I met my DW on a bus in the middle of the night in Austria on a Ski trip.. after many hours and drop off points the Bus finaly stoped at my Hotel and low and behold she and her sisters got off also.. :D As it turned out she lived about 125 miles from me in California .. But we had to go all the way to Europe to meet..

On our return I went to visit almost every weekend, And the rest is, as they say "History" .. We met in January and were married in September ..

25 years and counting.:)

Srpilo

CaptData......I love your story. Great.

Orcrone.....Great.....

Vicar.....Love It!!! :)

Fabulous stories. Love it. YOU HAVE TO LET US KNOW when you "spring the ring on her" in Las Vegas.

DH and I were introduced to eachother by a mutual friend. MY DH had heard about me for about a year from this friend and he tells me he had a whole different image in his mind from what I really am like. He was surprised when we met but we knew right away we were "sympatico". We dated for a year and got "pinned". Do college kids still do that? We dated another year and got engaged and after the third year, we married.

That was 34 years and 11+ months ago. :)

We met when my husband was stationed in England, through,mutual friends. He played on the same base football team as my room mates fiance. She invited me to go to watch a football game and even after I realised they weren`t really playing "football" I still accepted a date with him. BTW he played the real football also!! Married after a year, after they had done an extensive background investigation on me due to his sensitive clearance in the AF, have 4 kids, 11 grandkids and 3 great grandkids, I guess I`ll stay over here now, although we do go back to the UK every year for me to renew my accent!!!....jean

I met my DH when I was 37 and he was 24. I was newly divorced with three kids. He had never been married. We didni't see each other for a couple of days after the plane ride. I was walking through the bar one day and he was sitting there and we started talking about business. We spent the rest of the vacation together. When I got home he called me on New Year's Eve. I had a date that night and we were at my house. When I got off the phone my date said "I wish you would talk to me that way!" I hadn't realized that I was smitten. That was 32 years ago. It took us 10 years to get married.

Roberta

Archived