Booking problem - limited number of age groups

mdgary

We have a problem with a booking and before I call Princess back I wanted to see if anyone else has heard of this happening. We had a booking on the Caribbean Princess for 3 in a cabin. We decided we wanted to invite a friend of our son's to go with us, so we contacted our TA and changed from 1 cabin to 2 cabins (changed decks to have cabins across from each other). I gave our TA our guest info (name/age) and he made the change and everything was good, or so I thought. A few days later I checked on Princess site and they showed that the second cabin was cancelled. I called Princess and they said our TA cancelled it (they said they probably didn't send the deposit info in and the cabin was released). Called the TA but he wasn't available and told his co-worker the problem and she was able to get the second cabin back and I thought all was good again. Went to Princess site to update info on the cruise personalizer for our guest but it is giving a message of "No additional guest age 15 allowed on sailing." I called Princess to ask about this error and was told that there is a limit on the amount of passengers in certain age groups and a limited number of life preservers available so our sons friend could not go on the cruise. I'm going to call Princess back but looking to see if anyone has had a similar problem as this just doesn't sound right to me.

We had a large family group on the CB 7/04, but some of our family were unable to travel with us, because by the time they booked, the age group their children were in was already full (the boys were maybe 6 and 11 at the time). We had 4 16 year old cousins that did go, but the younger ones couldn't. This time we checked about that before booking, and it was okay, but we booked earlier this time. So it does happen.

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I don't think many agents know about it, either (ours didn't at the time). Hope all works out okay for you.

Another thought--if you haven't made final payment, and have flexibility, maybe you can switch your cruise to another sailing where they do have space for the extra 15 year old. Good luck!

This used to happen much more frequently. I think Princess has expanded the amount of kids allowed per sailing.

So yes, I have heard of this. It used to be a frequent topic on this board. I would see if you could be put on a waitlist as someone is bound to cancel the cruise.

This used to happen much more frequently. I think Princess has expanded the amount of kids allowed per sailing.

So yes, I have heard of this. It used to be a frequent topic on this board. I would see if you could be put on a waitlist as someone is bound to cancel the cruise.

Coral is correct. There is a limit to the number of children in each age group on Princess ships and I would guess that the numbers have been expanded since we haven't seen many complaints lately. But it does happen, particularly if you are cruising during school vacation. Book your son as a single in the cabin and put the friend as waitlisted (I think you can do this). You have until final payment to switch your bookings around and cancel the 2nd cabin. If you've booked a single in a cabin, you can add a 2nd person up until final payment.

Sorry, but the practice you speak of is common knowledge to those who lurk is board.

Your everyday cruise was and still is directed towards adults. It is only because people insisted on bring children, who run wild on the ship, that the cruise industry responded with children’s programs. Before you start jumping up and down, why does only one cruise line cater to families with children. Supply and demand would insist that there be a Lego Cruise line as well as a Nickelodeon.

Each ship has a predetermined number set for each age range. The physical area they use is only so large and the number trained staff is set. Would you insist on bringing little Jimmy knowing he will be ignored or nowhere to play?

And on the other hand, On the Dawn this last December, after several days the “teen center” was completely closed. No one was showing up. But then my ticket was being used to pay for an area that not only we would not use, no one used. In addition, staff was being paid just to sit around a vacant room for at least four days.

HELLO PRINCESS, why not make your childcare programs become a paid option?

Think about, you will only get complains from that small percentage who bring young kids.

While this didn't really happen to me, it did happen to one in our group. The age bracket for their kid was full so they were told their child could not participate in the kids club. This didn't really matter to them so they went ahead and booked. Not sure why they were still allowed to book? Maybe because there was still room for kids in general? It ended up that their son was allowed into the kids area because it wasn't used very heavily that week anyway.

Good luck to you!

HELLO PRINCESS, why not make your childcare programs become a paid option?

Think about, you will only get complains from that small percentage who bring young kids.

And from those of us who LIKE the kids on board to be kept well-occupied and entertained in the kids program, and not doing cannon balls into the pools.

And from those of us who LIKE the kids on board to be kept well-occupied and entertained in the kids program, and not doing cannon balls into the pools.

As far as kids doing cannonballs in the pool. On one of our cruises it was a bunch of construction workers(boss bought them all a cruise for a no accident year) that every few minutes one of them would be yelling cannonball and it would start all over again. This went on everyday.

A well-run kids program benefits everyone, parents AND those traveling without kids. And I have no problem with Princess limiting the number of kids so that the kids program isn't overburdened. Just like I wouldn't want my kids in a classroom of 40 kids back home. They'll get more attention and enjoy the experience more if the number of participants is under control.

--Junglejane

I'm detecting some anti-kid vibe here.

My 13-year-old daughter doesn't really care to hang out at the kids' activities and prefers to participate in the regular activities with me. She likes the trivia contests, karaoke, the shows, etc. No running around like a banshee, she loves trying lots of different food and dressing up...

Hell, I'd wager she's probably better dressed and behaved than over half the adults on board for sure (if not a higher percentage). Not every kid on a cruise is a little hellion bent on disturbing all the so-called "grown-ups" on board.

My 10 year old daughter is already losing interest in the kids program. On our last cruise she preferred to tag along with her older cousins. She's also made it known that on our upcoming cruise she wants to go to Sterling Steakhouse with us and not be left in the Fun Zone that night. I'm sure the older the kids get, the lower the percentage of participation in the kids program. But it's great to have the option for those who want or need it.

I also agree there is an anti-kid vibe on these boards. The Princess board isn't really that bad compared to some others! It usually starts with a parent asking some simple question like: can my kids wear shorts in the dining room? [NOTE: I'm not actually asking this question, OK? My kids wear nice dresses in the dining room. It's just an example.] Most posters respond with their opinion, yes or no. But there's always several who use the excuse to vent all their negative feelings about kids on cruises in general. There's no point in arguing with those posters. I just plan on continuing to cruise with my nicely dressed, mostly well behaved but not perfect children.

--Junglejane

Thanks for the responses and I'm hoping things will work out (someone will cancel/waitlist, etc.) I'm getting back with our TA to see what can be done. While I understand limiting the amount of younger kids onboard due to limitations of the kids programs, but when we are talking about 15/16 year olds that would seem a little different. I know that there have been discussions regarding out of control teens onboard but I guess we have been lucky in not having a problem on any of our cruises. Worst case is our son will have a cabin to himself for the trip.

My 13-year-old daughter doesn't really care to hang out at the kids' activities and prefers to participate in the regular activities with me. She likes the trivia contests, karaoke, the shows, etc. No running around like a banshee, she loves trying lots of different food and dressing up...

Hell, I'd wager she's probably better dressed and behaved than over half the adults on board for sure (if not a higher percentage). Not every kid on a cruise is a little hellion bent on disturbing all the so-called "grown-ups" on board.

I have to agree with you!!!! I have taken my three kids on two cruises and they were very well behaved. But the behavior comes from the parents. Kids will be kids and just like myself when I was a kid I liked to have a lot of fun. Parents need to be available and when they see their child doing cannonball's in the pool, they need to pull them out of the pool. When children are running wild they are being kids and it is up the parents to tell them to stop. We sat at a table a few cruises ago and one of the parents said to us, "The great thing about cruising is that we can have a great time and not worry about the kids because they are confined to the ship." My DH said well if they are not being watch they could fall off the ship, or get injured as this is a moving boat. They didn't care. To be honest with you I would much rather sail with a ship full of kids than a half of a ship of loud drunks.

Sorry, but the practice you speak of is common knowledge to those who lurk is board...

And on the other hand, On the Dawn this last December, after several days the “teen center” was completely closed. No one was showing up. But then my ticket was being used to pay for an area that not only we would not use, no one used. In addition, staff was being paid just to sit around a vacant room for at least four days.

I disagree completely with this opinion. There are many activities on the ship that others take advantage of but I don't. I don't go to all the shows, I don't go to the pool so I don't care about the pool activities, etc. Families who cruise pay full price for their children who don't go to the shows, lectures, etc. What you're paying for with your cruise fare is cabin, food, and a wide variety of available activities. Whether you use them or not is your option.

have you tried booking one adult in each cabin?

I have had the proplem with booking minors that were not my children. We were able to allivate theproblem by booking the minor with an adult

Your everyday cruise was and still is directed towards adults. It is only because people insisted on bring children, who run wild on the ship, that the cruise industry responded with children’s programs. Before you start jumping up and down, why does only one cruise line cater to families with children. Supply and demand would insist that there be a Lego Cruise line as well as a Nickelodeon.

Your economic analysis is flawed. If cruise lines were not interested in families with children, there would be many lines that did not allow them - catering to the adults only crowd that doesn't like kids on board. There are such lines, but they tend to be the high-end luxury ones. Perhaps you might enjoy trying one of those.

Business sense would tell you that if only a small percentage bring kids - and they irritate a much larger percentage, that it would make economic sense to have no kids allowed. However, that doesn't appear to be happening.

My own observations on the cruises we have been on is that the kids for the most part are very well behaved. Most of the problem behavior I have seen has come from adults, who have either drank too much or just have an overall angry attitude.

Think about it - how many complaints have you read about kids hogging chairs, smoking where it's not allowed, abusing the staff, etc. Of course, problems do happen, but I don't think they are disproportionate. I have never seen kids running wild on the ship.

I also have to agree that I would rather be on ship with children than a bunch of loud mouthed drunks! Since this is our first cruise, I am hoping that Princess does try to keep the drunks and partiers under control.

In my opinion, you should not lump all children together just like you should not lump all adults together. My 3 children (ages 12-16) are articulate, intelligent and well-behaved. I would bet that their shipboard behavior will be better than many adults on board. :rolleyes:

My twin 12 year olds may use the children's center for certain activities (like dissecting squids :eek: ), but will spend much more of their time with the rest of the family. My daughter, who will be 17 this summer, refuses to sign up for the teen center. That's ok, she is way more mature than the average teen as she juggles high school and college courses while only a junior.

Unfortunately, I am sure that Princess knows that many parents do not supervise their children and let them roam the ship at will. So they end up having to put limits on the number of kids on board at a time. In a way you cannot blame them. It is too bad they do not have all parents sign a contract that says that you are responsible for your children's behavior while on board the ship and that any major (and I do mean MAJOR) infractions could result in the children and parents being removed from the ship. I would be more than willing to sign a form like that as I have every intention of supervising all three of my children and I expect to be responsible for their behavior.

Your economic analysis is flawed. If cruise lines were not interested in families with children, there would be many lines that did not allow them - catering to the adults only crowd that doesn't like kids on board. There are such lines, but they tend to be the high-end luxury ones. Perhaps you might enjoy trying one of those..

By law this cannot be done. Cruises that are adult only are charter bookings. Look at it like the handicapped cabins. To do business in the United States, a minimum number but be handicapped. So if a ship with 20 handicapped rooms gets a request from someone in a wheelchair and there are no rooms available, sorry, you’re not going.

So, now people want to book with kids, fine. But after the magic number is met, sorry no more room.

My “analysis” is not flawed, you are basically wrong in thinking cruise lines WANT children on their ships. 20-30 years ago, a cruise was very expensive and only the well to do were on the waves. Competition forced prices to drop and along come the middle class who can now afforod to cruise, and drag the kids along. The cruise line starts to lose business from those refusing to put up with unsupervised rug rats running the hallways. They answer with youth plans and then limit the number of children allowed on board.

Your statement would be true IF cruise ships were sailing with empty cabins and wanting to attract any and all potential passengers. All the ships I have been on these last years have been full well before the cruise.

Spoke with our TA today and she was able to straighten things out with Princess. Age information was originally passed but somehow got dropped from our reservation but that has been corrected now and we are good to go.

jlp20

I am confused as you seem to be contradicting yourself and some of your statements I believe are false. Maybe you mistyped something. Your first two sentences seem to state that it is illegal for a cruise line to declare themselves adults only. Renaissance Cruise Lines went adult only, they are now out of business. But it is was not because running afoul of the law in regards to the child policy.

In regards to handicap accessibility, that has just worked itself through the courts in regards to the ADA and actually the most recent ruling would be in favor of the 21st passenger who you stated "you're not going"

Spoke with our TA today and she was able to straighten things out with Princess. Age information was originally passed but somehow got dropped from our reservation but that has been corrected now and we are good to go.

Glad to hear it. Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

--Junglejane

jlp20

I am confused as you seem to be contradicting yourself and some of your statements I believe are false. Maybe you mistyped something. Your first two sentences seem to state that it is illegal for a cruise line to declare themselves adults only. Renaissance Cruise Lines went adult only, they are now out of business.

By today’s laws, to do business in the United States, all companies must abide by ALL discrimination laws on federal books. In this thread, age, access for the handicapped and sexual orientation would come into play. Although the ship may fly under the flag of a foreign country, they to tie up at U.S. docks.

Handicapped cabin usually require more square footage for the same grade cabin. Children’s programs also use square footage that adult passengers can’t use and additional ship personnel are required to “watch” the kids after getting additional training. All these things COST the company money that they are forced to spend which cut into the bottom line. No one says they can’t enlarge children’s programs or make every cabin on the ship accessible to the handicapped. By your statements, all cruise line would do this, but for some reason they haven’t.

By today’s laws, to do business in the United States, all companies must abide by ALL discrimination laws on federal books. In this thread, age, access for the handicapped and sexual orientation would come into play. Although the ship may fly under the flag of a foreign country, they to tie up at U.S. docks.

Handicapped cabin usually require more square footage for the same grade cabin. Children’s programs also use square footage that adult passengers can’t use and additional ship personnel are required to “watch” the kids after getting additional training. All these things COST the company money that they are forced to spend which cut into the bottom line. No one says they can’t enlarge children’s programs or make every cabin on the ship accessible to the handicapped. By your statements, all cruise line would do this, but for some reason they haven’t.

Negative ghost rider, US laws don't apply to foreign flagged ships and or lines. :eek:

A US dock has nothing to do with it.

AMEN! I will take 13 children over a drunk anytime!!

Archived