Question about Mariner Society Tags

flatwallet

DW and I have never sailed on a HAL ship. However, in our tix packet were 4 Mariner baggage tags and 2 Mariner lapel pins plus the regular baggage tags. In HAL's website it says you do not become a member of Mariner Society until after one sailing and I even tried looking up my membership number and there was none. Having been on Carnival ships do you think it might have "carried over"?

Any thoughts on this?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like they included the Mariner tags and pins in error. Otherwise, can't imagine why. You'll have an opportunity to become a Mariner during the course of your first HAL cruise. We are Mariners, but I don't know that I've ever realized any particular advantage except for the reception on board. Last time on the Oosterdam almost half the ship was in the Mariner reception. There are lots of Mariners. DFD1

When we sailed on the Statendam in April of 2003, we received Mariner tags in our packet for that sailing. We assumed it was because we have been on several Carnival cruises and Carnival owns HAL. Our TA gave us a discount on the cruise tickets because we were past Carnival passengers, even though the Statendam was the first "Dam" ship we had been on.

We didn't wear them for very long because everyone asked us which other "Dam" ship we had sailed on, and we had to keep answering "none."

'Til we sail on Rotterdam in December!!

Mary Ellen

That's interesting. I had no idea that the holding company for the cruise lines was starting to "cross-market" them by giving discounts for previous cruisers on another cruise line when they make a bookings on HAL. I've cruises on two of the company's other lines, but never realized any discount because of it. Seems there's always a new wrinkle.DFD1

That's true. Whenever you book a cruise on any line in the Carnival "family", mention that you've cruised on HAL. The discount is extended to anyone who's cruised on any of their ships.

Roz

As I recall, our TA knew we had sailed on Carnival but she did not know our CL member ID numbers. She could have mentioned it to HAL when booking our cruise and somehow HAL was able to go to some data base and find us..don't know how though. Perhaps date of birth and address..Oh well.

Thanks for the responses..

The way it works is that if you have sailed before on any of the Carnival Family of Ships .....Princess, Carnival, Seabourn, Cunard, Windstar, HAL, Costa.....you are entitled to any discounts that would accrue to past passengers. You are not, however, a Mariner until the completion of your first HAL cruise. You would not be invited to the Mariner's Party on your first cruise and will not get a tile.

Any days you have accumulated on the other cruiselines will not be credited to your "count" on HAL.

It was an error they included the button and the tags but not a big deal......Some folks wear the buttons but the vast majority never put them on. The Mariner's tags, years ago, used to provide for expedited handling of suitcases that had the tags affixed. Today, it does not. There simply are way too many Mariners to be able to give special handling to their luggage. It is not uncommon for 80% of pax on a given cruise to be Mariners.

Have a great cruise.....enjoy the button if you wish to wear them.

Up until last year, and my Alaska Cruise, I had always been on cruises that were heavily populated by Mariners. For example, on my cruise to Hawaii on the Statendam the Captain told us that more than 80% of the passengers were Mariners. Indeed, that cruise was booked as a "Mariner's Appreciation Cruise." It was very nice.

Last year, on the Volendam to Alaska, the Captain told us only about 15% of the passengers were Mariners. That amazed me. In part, I think it's really great ... HAL is getting new passengers, and that's great! But, there is something about being on a cruise where most of the guests are return-passengers. :)

The way it works is that if you have sailed before on any of the Carnival Family of Ships .....Princess, Carnival, Seabourn, Cunard, Windstar, HAL, Costa.....you are entitled to any discounts that would accrue to past passengers. You are not, however, a Mariner until the completion of your first HAL cruise. You would not be invited to the Mariner's Party on your first cruise and will not get a tile.

Any days you have accumulated on the other cruiselines will not be credited to your "count" on HAL.

Any cruises on any other cruiseline will NOT be credited toward your count on HAL.

This is really an interesting thread. Thanks for all of the good information. I'm finding that the people who hang around here are a fascinating and knowledgable crowd. DFD1

If you have been on any of the US-market "Worlds Leading Cruise Lines" Carnival brands (Carnival, Cunard, Costa, Princess, Seabourn, or Windstar) you can get the past-passenger discounts. However, you are not considered a Mariner unless you have already been on HAL and only HAL cruises count towards your Mariner status.

I'm not sure if past passengers of non-US market Carnival brands (e.g. P&O) can get past passenger discounts on HAL without having been on one of the six US-market brands mentioned above.

I do not believe that Windstar cruises count towards Mariner status but I'm not 100% sure of that, maybe someone else can confirm?

I was told that my trips on Seabourn and Cunard did not count as a Mariner trip.

I have said it now about three times.....Keep track of ALL your cruises as HAL seems to have a habit of getting things lost. They like the photos taken by the ship as proof. Leave NOTHING to chance.

Those Mariner pins have about one penny value...................:confused:

Archived