Breakfast from buffet to room?

cjnky

cryssymph

Tacky is people who are so intolerent of other that they pass judgement on people who would like to enjoy a hot meal in thier cabin.

It is not that I am intolerent of others, I just don't see the need to bring food back from the buffet (of all places) to your cabin, there is such a thing called room service, now u might have to pay for it, and if that is a problem, then maybe the vacation just might be to expensive don't u think. Speaking of tacky... what does it look like when u bring a tray full of food back to your room

It is not that I am intolerent of others, I just don't see the need to bring food back from the buffet (of all places) to your cabin, there is such a thing called room service, now u might have to pay for it, and if that is a problem, then maybe the vacation just might be to expensive don't u think. Speaking of tacky... what does it look like when u bring a tray full of food back to your room

I can't believe the direction this thread has gone. So many judgemental and opinionated people. I can tell you that when I see someone with a tray of food - whatever it is - going back to their room I do not think "gee, how tacky is that". Never. Room service is very limited and if you want something else and want to sit on your balcony at eat it - GO FOR IT. And room service is free and it is not your place to tell anyone "the vacation just might be to expensive". I guess I need to go cool off now - this thread really made me angry.

Canadian crusier51...I guess you don't understand the 'romantic' part of this equation. First of all...room service is limitted for breakfast items. That being said...if my dh thinks enough of me to want to bring me breakfast in bed...I'm thrilled....and on another morning I may just want to do it for him. Another point to ponder...what if someone is not feeling well that morning and a few breakfast items brought back to the room would make that person feel better? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors and it's not up to any of us to judge another for what they do or why they do it.

If YOU don't want to carry anything back...that's your perogative...but don't judge others who do want to do it. And BTW..Canadian...Happy Valentine's Day.

Happy cruising!

I dont find it tacky at all. Some people with balconies like to enjoy breakfast outside, nice and quiet. As a matter of fact riding in the elevator with a plate a food had prompted some fun conversations, something we all have in common and a few laughs. There have been times that I saw a dessert in the buffet that I just knew my husband would love... Rode up to our room in the elevator with it, without another thought.

Although, I dont consider taking a tray from room service....stealing... You are simply using something offered to you for an alternative use. Further, I am sure if you asked for a tray they would be glad to accomodiate you. I thought the original question was a good one.

All right already i surrender, i did not factor in the romantic equation...the cruise I will be on is to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It struck me as strange that a ship full of food.. it just sounded like hoarding to me... I apologize for my myopic thinking

Go Cupid :o

No apology necessary. Live and learn from others. I occasionally brought breakfast back for my daughter because if I waited on her to get ready they would be serving lunch! Seriously, I did it as a nice gesture and sat on the balcony with her while she ate. It was fun. This way you at least get what you know the person likes and not just continental from room service.

I am sure we all have different motives for bringing it back to the room. I almost always bring back some of the cookies if there are plenty out at the time!

hi all;

well, not that most people are going to like what i say,,,,but here it goes.

food should be consumed where it is served....there are so many options for meals on a ship, especially for breakfast without having to bring trays of food back to your cabin. the one thing that thoroughly disgusts me on a cruise is opening up my cabin door and seeing the trays placed in the hallway all lined up with half eaten food. is it really the job of your cabin steward to constantly pick up after ones self?- they work extremely hard as it is without having now to return trays back to their appropriate space.

if princess or other cruise lines wanted you to bring food on a tray back to your room they would supply one along with the other amenities in the room...what is going to be next - going to the dining room to order eggs benedict - (to-go please on a tray), as the buffet normally does not have eggs benedict cooked to perfection and my darling partner would like to consume this in his/her cabin - - -.....

hi all;

food should be consumed where it is served....there are so many options for meals on a ship, especially for breakfast without having to bring trays of food back to your cabin. the one thing that thoroughly disgusts me on a cruise is opening up my cabin door and seeing the trays placed in the hallway all lined up with half eaten food. is it really the job of your cabin steward to constantly pick up after ones self?- they work extremely hard as it is without having now to return trays back to their appropriate space.

if princess or other cruise lines wanted you to bring food on a tray back to your room they would supply one along with the other amenities in the room...what is going to be next - going to the dining room to order eggs benedict - (to-go please on a tray), as the buffet normally does not have eggs benedict cooked to perfection and my darling partner would like to consume this in his/her cabin - - -.....

The only point I agree with you on is the trays in the hallway. I think people need to clean and consolidate them in the room and the steward will take care of it just as the do the room service trays. I NEVER put them in the hallway.

The rest of your post is personal opinion and that has been rehashed enough here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. We can just agree to disagree at times.

While we do not bring a full breakfast to our cabin we do bring in a carafe of coffee on the last day. Usually there is no room service available on the day you finish your cruise. So the day before we stash the coffee carafe in our closet. Then on the last day we fill it up in the buffet and grab a carton of milk and two cups. Then dh and I have our coffee while we get ready to leave. This way we get our in cabin coffee that we so enjoy together, but do not have to bother anyone else while we get it!!

hi all;

Hmmm, interesting point. I was going with it, until the obvious hit me. What about room service? If you order room service, they bring it to you so you can eat in your room. Where would you go to clean up after yourself?

This is true in hotels as well (which is basically what a cruise ship cabin is). If you order room service, you don't take the finished dishes back to the kitchen. You leave them outside your door so house keeping can clear it. I think that's why you see all those trays outside the cabins. People are just following what they would normally do after ordering room service.

I'm glad to see that SOME people here get the concept that bringing a tray up of food that one knows that a family member will want is a nice thing to do. It's not tacky. It's not wasteful. It makes more sense than trying to order an undesirable limited room service meal (remember that not everyone gets a suite) that will probably go to waste.

If you don't want to use a tray, then for pete's sake, don't. It's not going to ruin your vacation if others use them.

Have to say I'm guilty of this but I don't think it's tacky.

If we've been out in port all day, we often take a plate of sandwiches / cakes to eat on the balcony.

I don't want or need the overworked room stewards to be at my beck and call all day.

hi all;

Um so why does Princess and other cruise lines offer room service?

No matter if you bring it to your room yourself or have room service deliver it there will still be trays in the passage ways.

Food is meant to be eaten where it is served? Well if it is served in my room by room service thats where I am going to eat it!

Did you even think before you wrote your reply? :D

Just to give a fair warning to all those booked a the CB 4-29-07, I will be bringing a tray of hot breakfast food for my hubby and myself on at least one occassion during our 7 day cruise to enjoy on our balcony. I get up earlier then he does and I thought it might be a nice gesture for him to sleep in while I select breaksfast. He might even do the same for me one morning. I shall alert the captain on the days we plan on doing it, so if you will be insulted by my tacky gesture, you can be warned not to go in the elevator during the 10 minute trek from the buffet to my cabin :p

Am I the only one who finds the notion of hiding trays, borrowing trays, or bringing trays from home disturbing, all so someone can drag food around the ship rather than eat at the buffet or order room service? Is anything quite as tacky as standing in an elevator holding your breakfast?

You are not the only one! Maybe they should get one of those pizza holders that they deliver pizza in to use and keep their food warm, or maybe they could borrow one of the cleaning carts so they can push the food back to their room.

Just came accross this thread, never thought myself or husband as tacky.

We have been on the Sun Princess and the Dawn both times with a Regular balcony Room. One of the things we really enjoyed was breakfast on the balcony in our robes and an after noon snack after a day of play.

We always had a hot breakfast, I just wrote in what we wanted on the card given the night before, and have always gotten what we ordered, and I have always tipped. In the afternoon my DH would take the stairs and get us some treats for our afternoon time on the balcony. The steward would take the plates in the afternoon and of course the room service personnel would take the breakfast dishes. This is one of the reasons we have taken Princess and have had a balcony. The freedom to relax in privacy and have some treats too. Its alittle bit of heaven.

I am hoping on our future cruise on The Island we will be able to write in our hot breakfast on the card and we will get it. Can only try.

Just to give a fair warning to all those booked a the CB 4-29-07, I will be bringing a tray of hot breakfast food for my hubby and myself on at least one occassion during our 7 day cruise to enjoy on our balcony. I get up earlier then he does and I thought it might be a nice gesture for him to sleep in while I select breaksfast. He might even do the same for me one morning. I shall alert the captain on the days we plan on doing it, so if you will be insulted by my tacky gesture, you can be warned not to go in the elevator during the 10 minute trek from the buffet to my cabin :p

:D I was smiling hysterically when I read that. I have one question for all the OP who don't like people taking food back to their rooms, is princess the only cruise line that doesn't give trays? I think we are all clear that everyone has different opinions.

A cruise to most cruisers is an all-inclusive floating hotel, there isn't any law on the cruise ship that says you can't bring food from the buffet. I think this has to do with the way the cruising demographics is changing. What I mean by this is that 10 years ago to have a balcony or minisuite you had to pay top dollar and the people in there basically had a concierge or butler for their every whim. Now that cruise ships are making balconies more affordable and available cruisers are enjoying it more.

Everyone knows we wouldn't be having this discussion if the cruise line's would just offer hot food on their menu's(even for a nominal fee). If someone wants to stay cooped up in there room for a week bringing food back from the buffet that is their business.

One last question to the "nay sayers", Someone bringing food down to their loved ones, How does that impact your life in anyway? Now the person bring the food down to their loved one has impacted that persons life in a priceless way.

Don't sweat the small stuff enjoy your cruise, you seeing it as tacky isn't going to change any of us breakfast-buffet-tray-holding cruisers. And when other cruisers see me carrying breakfast to my loved one they say what a great idea, I think I will do that tomorrow morning.

It's part of our DD's shipboard duties.

They go to HC to bring back hors d'oeuvres for cocktail hour on the balcony.

We always have late, traditional seating so the snack is much appreciated as we're primping for the evening.

The girls love trying to "out do" each other..seeing who can be most creative with their hors d'oeuvre selections.

We're lucky they like seafood and cheeses...I'd hate to be stuck with a plate full of french fries and potato chips every night :D

Lets see, you are on vacation, with loads of time on your hands,there is always ROOM Service, I must be brain dead.... whats the point! theres food everywhere on board.

If Princess had a better room service menu, it might be a moot point. But since you can only get a continental breakfast - I can certainly see why people would bring food from the buffet to their room. If I wasn't so lazy, I probably would have done it myself.

Princess has the most limited room service of any cruise line I've been on.

Archived