Looking toward Alaska or two negatives = a positive

catmand

Hi everyone,

First, lets try to keep this one positive as there are enough negatives and complaining elsewhere around here.

We are looking forward to our third Alaska cruise, second with Celebrity. Our experience on M class ships, twenty six sailing days, Hawaii and Alaska.

So far the score is problem free days sailing 26 incidents 0.

Yesterday I read an account of how it's already known that our cruise will "miss" one port stop and cut others short. I just got off the phone with our agent (our docs just came in) and she has no knowledge of this.

About an hour or so ago I checked out the Infinity web cam. The ship looked like it was in the middle of the ocean. Infinity is (was) scheduled to port in Huatulco, Mexico at noon today. It's now 10 AM Pacific Daylight Time and Infinity is in port. It sure looks like she is right on time.

Yesterday I read accounts of "super special" prices for verands this cruise. If anyone was lucky enough to book at these special prices, great. You will have a wonderful cruise. Before anyone already booked gets upset or sad they paid much more, the special was for today, all veranda cabins are marked as sold out (from early this morning) and reading the fine print: Government taxes, transfers, service fees, and other ancillary charges are additional so it's pretty easy to start low, get higher and even try to sell a different category.

Now, I know there have been problems. I know there have been canceled cruises. I know Celebrity Customer Service (phone) is pretty dismal. I know there have been many unhappy cruisers this past year or so. What I don't know or understand is why folks complain before the event?

What are we going to do about all of this? Board the ship on sailing date, and get off the ship thirteen days later. I know that we are sailing with a great group of people on a pretty nice ship with a whole bunch of things to look forward to. IF we encounter some problems or issues along the way we'll assess them and deal with them once we return.

Once again, please please don't start with the negative posts. Remember there are a number of people taking their first cruises this summer. Please let them know there really is a possibility that their cruise will be everything they expect of it.

Thank you, Catmand

Chuck,

Our first cruise was an Alaskan out of Vancouver on the Infinity. It hooked us but good. We were back on her in October for a Hawaiian Circle cruise and had no pod or electrical problems. Or any other mechanical problems, for that matter.

She is a beautiful ship and we really loved the way they closed off the floor between the Martini Bar and the Rendezvous Lounge. There is a piano player up there during cocktail hour that makes both the Martini and Champagne Bars much more elegant and relaxing.

Hope you enjoy your Infinity Alaska cruise as much as we did. The inclusion of the Hubbard glacier is one of the reasons that it still ranks as one of our favorite cruises.

Susan

A cruise is not just the ports but the overall experience.

Ports can be cancelled for many reasons, including those which we have no control over. The first is the weather. If it is a tender port and the seas are rough, a passengers safety is above risking a potential incident. and in the case of really rough seas ports can be cancelled because it may cause damage to the ship if it is tied to the dock. I would have to say secondly that it might be a mechanical, and third a dock strike or unsafe tourist conditions at a port.

The good news is that these things RARELY happen.

The other good news is that in most cases you will recieve cabin credits for compensation.

We have found that if you want to see something in particular, the best bet but not a guarantee is a land vacation. On a cruise the best attitude is to go with the flow, and make the most of your cruise vacation.

Happy cruising!!! and wishes of perfect trips!!!

Dave:eek:

I understand your frustration, if indeed things are changed. I still contend that even at the slower speeds we would get into Victoria late. From then on those Alaska ports are close enough that there shouldn't be an issue. It has been "too late" for us to do anything about this anyway. How about we concentrate on all the great things this cruise could be instead of the negatives?

Two years ago we did a 12 day SF-Alaska on Infinity and had a glorious time. I was so tired the day we sailed the inside passage I slept through the whole damn thing. Now, I understand that isn't the same as going through it in the dark, as I had a choice but look, we have three ports in BC. we have to sail SOME of the passage in daylight.

Mask, I know you are upset but truly, even if there is a change how do you know you wouldn't have booked this anyway? A 12 day Alaska cruise ain't too bad. I hope you can put this behind you and "go with the flow" there are a great group of people on the roll call boards. Also, I doubt there are many people at Celebrity (for sure not the ones we would talk with) that are aware of any changes, if there are going to be some.

Chuck-

I am on the Infinity cruise with you and I agree, it will be a lovely cruise, regardless of the port times as we have a really nice group of folks to cruise with. I plan to make the best of the cruise regardless.:D

But it is clear that Celebrity's home office needs to take some classes in customer service from HAL. The Oosterdam is also running at reduced speeds because of electrical problems in one pod. After a couple of weeks HAL publically acknowledged the problem, revised the schedule, gave each person a $50 sbc and everyone was happy. HAL provided our agents with notice of the changes well before the cruise as well as including a letter in our documents. It was old news once we got onboard and we heard no grumbling amid the pax at all. I know all this since I just returned from the Oosterdam. (This seems to be my pod problem cruise year.)

Celebrity just raises the anxiety level for all by keeping us in the dark. :rolleyes: They surely can't believe that something is going to miraculously happen to repair itself, so why not announce the changes ?? IMHO it's a really bad PR move.

oy with pod-issues! if I calculate correctly, our Summit should just about need attention just b4 our 6/15 cruise. I just hope we don't miss Skagway cuz we've got a rental on rez and hope to get out to Emerald Lake. happy holidays Chuck, et al.:)

If I did I would never ever sail on the Mercury again.... what with her numerous Noro outbreaks... and cigarette burned carpets,and poor sightlines in the buffet area.

I don't worry about any of those things.... I only have positive anticipation of what I know will be a wonderful cruise to Alaska on the Mercury. This will be our third cruise on the Mercury and I have to say that I have nothing but wonderful times on the ship.

As with life, not everything goes perfect on a cruise ship, but I think being a positive person helps.

I agree with Suzanne (again)...hi Suzanne:)

I just returned from my 3rd time on Mercury and I know there

are many, many, many people who just don't like this ship.

She is too old, too run down, too tired, too....well you get the idea.

I had one of my best cruises ever:D unbelievable how many

crew and staff I knew. Made the week all the better.

I am sure you and your group are going to have a wonderful

time. Do I hope you get to see all the ports? Of course I do!

But I know you and Wanda will have fun whatever happens!

Suzanne, when are you sailing Mercury to Alaska?

We started with a cancelled Infinity (pod problem), but they put us on RC's Legend of the Seas with full refund, and we were hooked, but hooked, on cruising; we then went to Mexican Riviera on the fabulous Summit (Outstanding service, outstanding everything); we are currently booked for Summit in June, then Liberty of the Seas in September, and plan to book future cruises while on board each of these, becuase we DO believe, as originally stated, a cruise is what you make of it, more or less....the little things : ahhhh, let 'em go! Enjoy that you are CRUISING!!! :)

We got off Infinity March 25th after 28 days sailing from Buenos Aires. We had a wonderful cruise. GPS gizmos confirmed speeds in excess of 22 knots.

Be sure to try casual dining, the setting and meals we experienced had us eating there most of the time.

The concern people have on speed ?? The ship's computer is based on leaving a port, time to travel and time to arrive. If you don't have to go faster why do so? The pods concern many people and they might still have to be "fixed"? The pods certainly did not affect our cruise around the horn.

Good luck with the weather and have a great cruise.

(I like Century class ships, including Mercury, better than M-class.)

News for us....We are also booked on the SF to Vancouver next month and received our documents in the mail yesterday. I upgraded for what I thought was a fabulous price and noticed a savings of an additional $1000 per couple offered today. I was under the assumption that Celebrity did not allow travel brokers to discount their cruises. So....I just got off the phone with the agent at Celebrity checking on their pricing structure...and they told us nothing about the itinerary change. In regards to the pricing change, they also would not budge, but our travel agent is seeing what they can do about this. I would be happy with shipboard credit ... it would ease the pain of someone sitting at the same dinner table that received a better cabin than I for a cheaper price. I hope they are able to do something for us.

In regards to missing a port, they really should let us know as soon as possible...at least all the booked passengers. I am making arrangements to meet people in some of the ports which will take planning and expense on their parts. I understand that the itinerary can change depending on special conditions, however, if they already know, they should definitely let us know so we make our plans accordingly. It is only common decency.

With that being said, yes, we will have a wonderful time. I have always enjoyed Celebrity cruises and am looking forward to two weeks of bliss. Keep your fingers crossed for us for the discount from our travel agent and that the port we miss is not one we have plans for.

Chuck, I was able to find a CC for a great price with gratuities included but then sanity won out. Actually, DH won out. He is absolutely certain 25 days is too long for us to be gone with a new puppy. Rats. Have a fabulous cruise - I wanna go, too!!!:(

Yesterday I read an account of how it's already known that our cruise will "miss" one port stop and cut others short. I just got off the phone with our agent (our docs just came in) and she has no knowledge of this.

Can you post the link to the thread you read about possible missed ports? Thanks!

BEAV.............................nope, sorry, no can do........it's not that I have a problem posting a link to it but IT'S GONE. Good bye, farewell, it's outta here.

It seems the one person who KNEW about this went bye bye last night.

I can't be the only one who wondered why their TA knew nothing about this so called change.

And while I'm here, all this talk of the problems (and they are problems) read C 2 C's post, cruise on Infinity ended 10 days ago, 28 days, no problems!........:D

Hey Ruth, come on!

BEAV.............................nope, sorry, no can do........it's not that I have a problem posting a link to it but IT'S GONE. Good bye, farewell, it's outta here.

Okay.....thanks, anyway!

I booked Infinity to Alaska in July. I see someone received a notice about a missing port. Is this a one time thing? or same change to July cruise??

I noticed price drop and called the celebrity and received discount. Can the missing port be the reason for the price drop? but then why would they tell us? The internet itinerary still indicates the same ports.

Archived