I Got BANNED from RCCL!!!!!!

I've heard of "No Fly Lists" but no cruise lists???? I've never..... Well anything is possible...

Scarry Huh.

A little story...on our last cruise we dropped off a request at the Pursers desk to send our luggage straight through to the airport. He looked at it and said it might be denied and we may have additional checks at the airport. We were denied the option of sending our luggage straight through to the airport. The Pursers desk left me a phone message to come down and pick up any colored tags we wanted. He appologized when we got there.

This was the last time we were ear marked for an intensive check at the airpport...the whole family. Who knows why? Could it be that I am a White , 40 something american born citizen who works as an rn, married to an white american born executive (advertising) with two teenage kids? All with passports for several years. NOT. Who knows....Don't think we are supposes to know.

Sorry - didn't see the update. A coworker has a 17 year old son who goes through h*ll when he flies because his name is on the terrorist watch list under the highest warning there is. He has the same name as a known terrorist who to this day is still on the loose. This is the explanation she was finally given for why a 17 year old is on the watch list (he's been on it for a few years now). Obviously once they look at him and do the searches, he's allowed to fly but it's a nightmare every time. My coworker has been trying to get this cleared but it still is not resolved. He's a minor now but what happens when he starts traveling on his own which he's planning on doing with RCCL in January? If this is what's happening to you, GOOD LUCK!

UGH. This is awful...it also makes me pause before considering a cruise on RCI again--if only for the way they have treated you.

My only thought would be if they have a question about your ability to cruise so frequently (I read your explanation of the frequency--and good for you!!! You deserve any vacation you can get. One of my best friends, a firefighter, lost his life 3 years ago. He and his wife took a cruise to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary just 4 months before his death. I was so encouraged that they got that time to relax and enjoy their time together).

I wonder if RCI thinks perhaps you're "scoping" their ships with a sinister plan...of course that sounds ridiculous. Whatever it is, they should have approached you as a loyal customer, not someone suspicious...even if you were guilty of something.

I've only cruised on RCI so far (not necessarily because I prefer them over other lines, it's just the way it's turned out), but I'm trying Carnival in Sept. & I will use your situation as an excuse to simply try all the other cruise lines before going back to RCI.

My very best wishes to you for a successful resolution. I'm sorry you have to miss the inaugural (?) sailing.

Thanks;) I am a firefighter (as you all could probablly tell by my screen name), therefore I wouldn't risk doing anything illegal or I could easilly lose my job if it was serious enough to get me banned from a cruise line!

The thing is if they DO think you did something illegal or immoral it could come back on you someday or somehow and affect you job wise.

My son is a firefighter too and I know how careful you need to be to be above reproach. I don't care what it takes $$ wise, to clear your good name it would be worth it.

Kim

Someone tell me why this thread would go "poof". How can RCL cause it to disappear when it is a publc board. I'm confused.

The moderators sometimes feel it is prudent to remove controversial subjects.

Just as I have been sitting here thinking about all the other things that I should be accomplishing today!:D

Worse here...I AM at work and can't concentrate enough to get anything done!

This whole thing is just too much...

I've heard of "No Fly Lists" but no cruise lists???? I've never..... Well anything is possible...

Yes! Get your congressman involved, that will move mountains! What a good idea. Call him right now Hoop!:eek:

No, haven't checked with the airline yet, but i will tomorrow.

Right now, like I said earlier, even if this gets cleared up, I think it will be a LONG time before I am on another RCCL ship! No customer deserves to get treated like that, for what? who really knows, I guess??

Whether you sail with them again or not, you have a right to know why you were banned. I would send a letter to the President of RCCL and then also contact an attorney to find out exactly what was going on. I personally hold my vacations as sacred...it would be hell to pay.

I'm so sorry that you going through this.

I wonder if droping those big new desks a short mail to tip them about the kind of commotion this thread has caused would help?? Hey they can make news out of nothing why not try??

Scott

Forgive me if I missed this bit but...are you blackballed with RCCI specifically...or for all cruiselines...just thinking about your other cruises booked.

I am sitting here shaking my head in astonishment at this...I hope you get it all cleared up very very soon.

Best wishes from over the pond

Now that I've picked my chin up off the ground...

Haven't been on RCCL in 2 years as I've been hanging out on Princess, but had just booked the Legend for next year and saw your post which got my attention.

Couple of thoughts..as someone who is young and been cruising for over 25 years (and highest ranking on everyone)

I always get that question where do you get the time and money..no ones business...

but people always seems to be SUSPICIOUS about it...

so this is what I'm thinking ...

you are a young single male, cruising FREQUENTLY compared to your demographic. you cruise the caribbean primarily.

I think they've pegged you as a mule.

Yes, I'm reaching for straws..

but nothing surprises me anymore.

my mom who is 70 4ft 11 and looks like a little babushka has been flagged by home land security.

she is pulled aside EVERY SINGLE TIME in EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY and patted down THOROUGHLY, ide her luggage is emptied and systematically gone through.

My heart goes out to you...I hope you will be able to find the answers you deserve.

I think I will be re thinking whether or not we should keep this booking on the Legend.

A Risk! Their security department identified you as a risk, to what the ship, the crew, homeland security? That's a pretty strong accusation to make and while I'm not a lawyer, I think they have to tell you why they consider you a risk and a risk to what.

If an airline can be sued because they removed some Imans from a plane they considered a risk, I believe you have a basis to at least know why. If it's Homeland Security, you need to know because it's something that will obviously need to be staightened out. I believe, as a firefighter, you've had background checks before. Heck, I needed to be fingerprinted to work in a hospital and on a trading floor. (Thanks BTW for being a firefighter!)

I also wanted to say that you don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you can cruise so often, it's none of anyone's business! For all anyone knows, you invest your money wisely, had a rich relative pass away, won the lottery, it makes no difference.

Scott,

I just don't understand why you won't take the advice of several other poster's on this board and contact the media. If anyone can get an answer it will be them. They have more power than you realize.

Try this link. They have email forms or a 1-800 number where you can contact them.

http://www.local6.com/problemsolvers/index.html

Good luck to you.

Scott

Forgive me if I missed this bit but...are you blackballed with RCCI specifically...or for all cruiselines...just thinking about your other cruises booked.

I am sitting here shaking my head in astonishment at this...I hope you get it all cleared up very very soon.

Best wishes from over the pond

As far as I know, just RCCL and Celebrity.......... But...I guess we will find out on Monday

In this country, your rights entitle you to face your accusor and get a detailed account of whatever it is you are accused of. Your right as a citizen and your right as one of our heros in the firefighter community...

I think people are mistaken in this line of thought. The rights enjoyed by a citizen of the United States do not apply to a business making a business decision in line with its own property rights, provided such decision does not involve such protected classes as race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, handicap status, etc. Businesses may choose not to do business with whomever they like, for whatever reason not otherwise protected by law. That idea is central to our market economy.

While I respect firefighters and emergency responders everywhere (I was a paramedic for many years and most of my friends are still cops, firefighters, or EMS guys), I don't believe that being a firefighter "hero" entitles one to any more rights as the next guy. They deserve our constant respect and admiration, but certainly don't deserve special legal treatment.

Please don't misconstrue what I'm saying...I definitely feel the OP is entitled to an explanation, as a loyal, repeat customer. He just can't expect his demands for one to be enforced by law. I know for certain that I would be royally pi$$ed, if you'll pardon the pun.

Good luck sorting all this out...and plan on taking your good business to another line (hello, Princess!)

For what its worth my friend I sent an email to RCI here in the UK suggesting that someone there have a read through these posts and take another look before the bad publicity starts. I won't hold my breath, but on your side of the pond you seem to be hitting a brick wall.

Good luck!

Wow, I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry that you're going through all this. I hope you eventually get a direct answer as to what they possibly think defined you as a risk. I will keep reading for updates.

This is from Tony:

My understanding – which is minimal – is that cruise ships are private property and the cruise line can deny access to anyone for any reason, other than protected status (i.e., race, religion, sex …).

So, if the appeals to the cruise line have been denied, I don’t know what else you can do.

Sorry.

Tony

Tony Pipitone

WKMG-TV Orlando

407-521-1291

It will be interesting thats for sure.... There is no way to check with homeland security to find out if you are on the "NO FLY" list or not, until you get to the airport:eek: , Same with carnival, but I figure they would call or write or something, as to not just show up to the pier - that way they could cancel the reservation and resell the cabin, instead of holding the cabin.

Scott

Archived