I Got BANNED from RCCL!!!!!!

I agree with you 100%, me being a firefighter doesn't mean that I have more rights to know than you would in the same situation!

Being a firefighter, police, or military person doesn’t give anyone more legal rights. I think it makes for a better human interest news story and these individuals are more likely to get help from the media for a resolution of the problem as a result.

Considering how you and other risk your lives to help others I say use this little perk.

Bad press can do a world of hurt to a cruise line and Royal Caribbean has had its share of bad press lately.

I've heard of "No Fly Lists" but no cruise lists???? I've never..... Well anything is possible...

Man, this is starting to suck really bad!

My only thought is that since cruises are legally "transportation" where you're really booking "passage" instead of a vacation, your booking habits may have set off a trigger at TSA. Do you often book sailings at the last minute, close to the manifest deadline? Any patterns in your other travels, that would attract interest? (Rhetorical questions here...answers=none of my business)

Hang in there.

See everyone is thinking it is Homeland Security issue when in fact it might be a cruise line issue. RCCL does have a security department, I would try calling them. Perhaps someone with a simular name got in trouble on board, and someone messed up and got your name on a manifest confused. Working for the DHS I could not see his habbits as a problem.

Man, this is starting to suck really bad!

My only thought is that since cruises are legally "transportation" where you're really booking "passage" instead of a vacation, your booking habits may have set off a trigger at TSA. Do you often book sailings at the last minute, close to the manifest deadline? Any patterns in your other travels, that would attract interest? (Rhetorical questions here...answers=none of my business)

Hang in there.

No, the odd thing is is that only the Carnival's are booked last minute *Just due to deals, anyway, with RCCL usually they are booked in advance, and sometimes get changed, thats another thing, maybe changing reservations, and booking often??

I have a friend that does work for DHS, bad news is he is on vacation this week - but I will call him Sunday when he gets home. However - again, I am also thinking it is an RCCL trigger, NOT a DHS.

Now, since its wide open since we are NOT talking about a particular sailing anymore, we are talking about...who knows what!:(

Its just that much more confusing!

Hoop, tell the truth...did you or did you not try to smuggle a 4 ounce container of shampoo on your last flight? :).

If it is a Homeland Security issue, I wish you much luck because you are going to need it. I may have missed it but are you good to go with Carnival?

Good luck Hoop, I hope you can get some resolution to this. If this can be done to you, the system is completely broken and all of us are at risk.

Could it be that the background check sent up a red flag to RCI? Maybe they don't know why your background was checked and that as a rule they turn down those whose past has been reviewed?

Does RCI know that you are an active, recently promoted firefighter? Would a notorized/certified letter from your professional association help?

Is there more than one kind of background check, i.e. professional vs. criminal?

I hope you get this cleared up, it is definitely alarming.

Scott, As other posters have said, I believe you have everyones support here. I think we all need to band together because we don't know who may be next!!!! Be strong and keep plugging.

UPDATE****UPDATE*****UPDATE****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****

I JUST got off the phone with the Executive Office Supervisor. He confirmed that I was no longer allowed to sail with RCCL or Celebrity.

I asked him to go into what I had done on the Brilliance, and HE SAID THERE WAS NO INCIDENT on the Brilliance! I advised him that I was told yesterday by the origional agent that I was told that this was over an Incident on the Brilliance of the Seas 1/2007, and he said that was INCORRECT INFORMATION.

He said their security department had identified me as a "risk", and therefore, I was "blackballed" by their company. I asked him if this was over a sailing or if I ended up on a list by the govt. He said he could not comment!

I said if this was brought up before 1/2007, and an alleged incident occured on another ship (That I am still not aware of) why was I allowed on the Brilliance? Why was I allowed to book new reservations? There is something quite fishy going on here, and now that it may not have been something I was aware of at all!!

I can't believe your profession would make you a risk. You have to pursue this to the end. If this thread disappears please email me at apoggi@aol.com with any results you may get.

Thank you for putting your life on the line every day you work.

Ann

Could it be that the background check sent up a red flag to RCI? Maybe they don't know why your background was checked and that as a rule they turn down those whose past has been reviewed?

Does RCI know that you are an active, recently promoted firefighter? Would a notorized/certified letter from your professional association help?

Is there more than one kind of background check, i.e. professional vs. criminal?

I have had very extensive backgrounds done and never, ever has my cruising experiences come up. Backgrounds are done to review your past, as well as your character, cruise lines would not be involved with this process.

Carnival Has not called yet or anything, so I am assuming I am good with them - hopefully (Fingers crossed), if I am not, I guess it answers the question RCCL vs. DHS.

They do a full criminal history check, same as with a criminal, but code the reason as a background check for employment.

RCCL won't listen to anything, so trying to explain to them that I am a firefighter, etc, hasn't even come CLOSE to coming up yet.

Scott - good luck to you. I am shocked at these developments! I hope RC somehow makes this right.

LOL, keep your head down on Carnival - you might want to wear a disguise - and no complaints no matter what!

I would send them a nice letter...

"Dear Sirs,

There has been some sort of misunderstanding.

I am a loyal RCCL customer with over 14 cruises under my belt. Yet somehow, something has transpired to flag me as a 'risk'. This is absurd.

I will make it simple for you: you've lost my business. You're losing tons of goodwill from the cruising community as they follow my story. You've caused me irreperable mental anguish due to the cancellation of my vacation at the last minute, not to mention the damage to my reputation.

You have one chance to make amends. I would like a formal apology, and a free cruise. Otherwise, be prepared to rename one of your ships the "Firefighter Of The Seas", because I'm going to OWN IT AFTER I SUE YOUR $&@*(#@* BUTTS OFF!!

Thank you for your attention to this matter."

:D

Been lurking and trying to pick my chin up off of the floor. I just recently sailed for the first time with RCI and my experience with them along with reading this has definitely made me feel better about not using their NextCruise booking option.

The fact that you are such a loyal customer yet can be treated so rudely lets me know that me and my one cruise will get me nowhere with them, not even a return email or phone call. I guess I will go back to Carnival for now, not sure if I can afford Princess.

Good luck Scott and I hope that you get the answers to your questions. Keep me updated if the thread disappears, ericka1031@yahoo.com

I would send them a nice letter...

"Dear Sirs,

There has been some sort of misunderstanding.

I am a loyal RCCL customer with over 14 cruises under my belt. Yet somehow, something has transpired to flag me as a 'risk'. This is absurd.

I will make it simple for you: you've lost my business. You're losing tons of goodwill from the cruising community as they follow my story. You've caused me irreperable mental anguish due to the cancellation of my vacation at the last minute, not to mention the damage to my reputation.

You have one chance to make amends. I would like a formal apology, and a free cruise. Otherwise, be prepared to rename one of your ships the "Firefighter Of The Seas", because I'm going to OWN IT AFTER I SUE YOUR $&@*(#@* BUTTS OFF!!

Thank you for your attention to this matter."

:D

LOL, I love it!

Scott, I think it is possible that someone is using your idenity, the cruise line does their checks a week or so before sailing...even though your brain is exhaused from thinking...have you been in a news article, name posted somewhere as a FF..anything??????? Someone could have been arrested and used your name so it doesn't have to be home land security..i

Thinking about the DHS thing more though, if it was a homeland security issue, I think that they would be more than willing to tell me that because then it would obviously shift the blame from them to another source.

Insteand of calling, writing, hiring lawyers, etc, it would be easier for them and me to keep them out of it and start inquiring with the DHS.

See everyone is thinking it is Homeland Security issue when in fact it might be a cruise line issue. RCCL does have a security department, I would try calling them. Perhaps someone with a simular name got in trouble on board, and someone messed up and got your name on a manifest confused. Working for the DHS I could not see his habbits as a problem.

Skyking, DHS?

Archived