Beware of PickPockets in Barcelona

Just came back from the VOS Miami to BCN, TA crossing. I'm writing a cruise review shortly, great trip, nice CC people, we missed the Madeira stop because of a coast guard helicopter rescue for a 91 yr old. Alicante was a surprising nice port, great Castillo (Fort) views. Seas were smooth, waves about 4 feet.

Stayed 3 nights in BCN, had a fabulous time with the Gaudi stuff, museums, Sagrada Familia. Used the metro everywhere. and just before transferring to the Splendour, my wife had her wallet lifted by a pro on the Metro, she didn't even notice till we left the train, lost 100 euros, 1gb photo chip and 3 ccards and interac. That's all. We reported the ccards stolen and that was difficult, because our AMEX provider didn't have a toll-free number in Europe, try calling collect. Next time, make sure you have the stolen ccard reporting phone numbers and phone card to call. Also we were very careful, using secret pockets or inner pockets, but the once time Judi didn't guess what.

The police told us there were 150 robberies per day in BCN. Very common. They like to grab the purse over the shoulder or camera bag and run, pass off. The thiefs look just tourists, maps in hand.

Then the Splendour was great to Venice. A different ship, only 1800 passengers compared to 3200 on the VOS, but many positive qualities.

Both ships had the new European menu, it was excellent, and service superb.

First night out from BCN to Cannes we had 15-18 foot waves, freak weather, the ship was rolling. We were OK, but many others had trouble, the bags were out and hung on each stairway, then the weather was fine.

Al

150 robberies a day in Barcelona? Thats not horrible. There are robberies every day in large cities. Its not uncommon. Just be sensible. Imagine how many robberies a day there are in Vegas. A lot more than 150, I bet.

Same warning goes for Rome.

And favorite stunt is to throw or drop some liquid on you. Then "good Samaritan" helps you to wipe the gunk off, while frisking you.

I think that is how I met my better half. :D :D just kidding

We were robbed in Barcelona during a cruise stopover a few years ago. Some guck landed on my husband and a "good samaritan" rushed out to assist him. When the samaritan left, my husband realized his wallet, which had been in his front pants pocket was gone. We rushed back to the ship to get the credit card phone numbers from our cabin and phoned in an immediate cancellation from a phone booth on shore. In the half hour it took us to return to the ship and phone, the thief had already charged airplane tickets. We were not responsible for paying for the tickets but it took almost a year for the credit card company to straighten it out.

At dinner in the ship that night, one of our tablemates said he always pinned his trousers pocket shut with a large safety pin when he was walking on shore and the other gentleman had a string attached to his wallet.

My advice would be use a money belt. No wallet. Only keep a small amount of Euros in your pocket. Wallets are easier to lift than loose bills. Credit cards and larger bills stay in the money belt which is on the inside of your pants out of reach of thieves.

I am "Madame Caution" when traveling. I spend hours instructing my students on how to avoid becoming the victim of pickpockets.

My daughter and I were in Paris in April, and guess what? Just like the OP and his wife Judy, the one time I was a bit lax, BOOM.

Usually I put my stuff in a waist money belt under my clothes. I decided that it might not be comfortable on the plane, that I would put it on once I landed. The belt was in my purse. I didn't put it on before getting off the plane, and in the ride into Paris and to our hotel, the wallet was gone out of my purse.

I never felt a thing. The cards were already used - at machines; these guys are smart; there is no one to verify the card's owner at a machine - within minutes after the theft. I spent a couple of hours cancelling my cards; fortunately the AmEx office in Paris replaced my card within two hours. They didn't get my traveler's checks, just my wallet: some American cash, three credit cards, and my driver's license.

Be careful anywhere. This seems to be more prevalent in Europe - I have never been targeted here at home, nor do I personally know anyone whose pocket/purse was picked in the U.S. I am not saying that it doesn't happen, but it just hasn't happened to anyone I know, and I know many (now including me :( ) who experienced this in Europe. (and yes, Rome is one of the worst)

I am "Madame Caution" when traveling. I spend hours instructing my students on how to avoid becoming the victim of pickpockets.

My daughter and I were in Paris in April, and guess what? Just like the OP and his wife Judy, the one time I was a bit lax, BOOM.

Usually I put my stuff in a waist money belt under my clothes. I decided that it might not be comfortable on the plane, that I would put it on once I landed. The belt was in my purse. I didn't put it on before getting off the plane, and in the ride into Paris and to our hotel, the wallet was gone out of my purse.

I never felt a thing. The cards were already used - at machines; these guys are smart; there is no one to verify the card's owner at a machine - within minutes after the theft. I spent a couple of hours cancelling my cards; fortunately the AmEx office in Paris replaced my card within two hours. They didn't get my traveler's checks, just my wallet: some American cash, three credit cards, and my driver's license.

Be careful anywhere. This seems to be more prevalent in Europe - I have never been targeted here at home, nor do I personally know anyone whose pocket/purse was picked in the U.S. I am not saying that it doesn't happen, but it just hasn't happened to anyone I know, and I know many (now including me :( ) who experienced this in Europe. (and yes, Rome is one of the worst)

Trust me Merion, it happens here much more than you think. Try Vegas, or new york. Happens all over the world a lot.

Barcelona, Rome and Paris would be the main cities to beware of pick pockets. Madrid also. Especially the first two mentioned. European cities have much less violent crime compared to American cities but much more pick pocketing, purse snatching, etc. I was told they even have schools in Europe which teach pick pocketing.

Please also take EXTRA care in Lisbon, Portugal. My mum was on a cruise and only got off the ship to walk to the local shops nearest the docks. She had a zipped up bag over her shoulder and said the shops were quite busy. When she went to pay for her second purchase, she reached into her bag and realised it was open and purse gone.

She honestly didnt feel or notice a thing and would also like to warn others to be extra vidulant. A shopkeeper helped her to get to the Police station and when she got there, she found five or six other families from the same ship that had also been pickpocketed.

I know this can happen anywhere but the Lisbon Police did say that the pickpockets actually watch and target people getting off the ships as they assume they have a lot of money on them to spend.

Please be cautious

Chubbas XX

We got conned a couple of years ago in Barcelona when we went to pay for a taxi and my wife gave the taxi driver a 20 Euro note and then he insisted that it was a 5 Euro. Somehow he had swapped it. After a big argument, as we were in a hurry we gave in. As the fare was about 17 Euros we then had to give him three more 5 Euros.

We had been warned about all the pickpockets and people that distract you with young babies etc so had everything in money belts.

Now we take all our Euros in 5 Euro notes only. Not only does it mean that you can't be conned but it looks more, an added bonus!

I would also add that a popular trick in Barcelona/Spain, is when tourists are standing around fountains etc, groups of "drunks" start playing in the fountains and around the edge to get your attention. While this "staged show" is going on, pickpockets walk around behind people stealing purses and wallets.

Please do not let this put you off travelling in Europe as Im sure things like this happen all over the world. Just be aware of your surroundings and dont carry too much money & valueables when stopping at different ports.

Chubbas XX

yes definitely be wary - dont put bags on tables, by your chair or over your shoulder unless you have a grip on it (they slash the strap and then grab). Mum and I were both mugged in Barca within 3 hours of arriving and lost £500 ($1000), passports and everything. Not a nice experience and the police were atrocious - probably because it happens so much :mad:

Not quite pickpocketing but... a few years back while in Barcelona, we took the bus from the airport to the main square. Just as the bus stopped and the doors opened, a guy jumped on the bus, grabbed two handbags and took off into the crowd. Absolutely brazen and amazing. After that experience, we hung on to everything that could be taken. Great city but who needs to roam around worried that you'll be robbed at every corner.

Yes, small children often do the job. Pick pocking is very common in all European cities. Don't let you fool by older poor women asking for money or buying their flowers. Please...be careful, these are professionals and don't work alone. Watch your back when someone ask you for money or other stuff. They don't want to harm you, but steal your pockets in a second

This type of petty crime seems to be much more prevalent in Europe than here. A few that I remember - gypsies down by the waterfront in Barcelona asking to exchange their coins for US, as they "collect" them - just one of many distractions. Having a pretty girl "accidently" pushed into me in Paris - watch her friends, not her! Bunches of kids trying to distract you in Rome.

The only successful con I fell for was in Rome - in a small grocery, obviously shopping for items to take home, was waiting in line to check out. They guy behind the counter said he would take my basket and do it. I paid and went to the hotel to head for the airport. When packing my items, I found that he had added to my order a very expensive (and probably slow moving) container of dried fruit. Probably figured the worst that could happen is that I would return, and he's claim an error.

Gee!!! This thread really makes me want to take that Mediterranean cruise now. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

warringtonianWe got conned a couple of years ago in Barcelona when we went to pay for a taxi and my wife gave the taxi driver a 20 Euro note and then he insisted that it was a 5 Euro. Somehow he had swapped it. After a big argument, as we were in a hurry we gave in. As the fare was about 17 Euros we then had to give him three more 5 Euros.

We had been warned about all the pickpockets and people that distract you with young babies etc so had everything in money belts.

Now we take all our Euros in 5 Euro notes only. Not only does it mean that you can't be conned but it looks more, an added bonus!

My husband is a banker and he has told me to always mention the cash denomination of the bill that you are about to hand over to someone else.

For example: The taxi driver tells you that the ride is $35 and you plan to tip him a $10 ($45 total.) You hand the driver two twenties and a five and say (before releasing it) "Here you go, two twenty dollar bills and a five - forty five total."

Also, hand the bills over one at a time and deliberately. Unfortunately and to my husbands dismay, I don't always handle money that way. In fact, I am terrible about checking to make sure I get the correct change. :o

We got robbed by a taxi driver in Rome. He took us someplace in Rome and said our hotel is around the corner and kept demanding more money and even tried going into my wallet. Our luggage was in the trunk of the car so I was stuck and had to go along with him. I was also afraid to defend myself in a foreign country that they would believe him and arrest me. I will never go to these countries again. The authorities let these thieves get away with this, and do nothing to try and control it. The authorities could try and bait these thieves and many thieves make a living this way. Just look at the Department of States warnings for these countries and the percentage of tourists that have problems.

I remember an incident occurred in Rome to one of our cruisemates. She and her husband were behind us in the long lineup to visit the Vatican and gypsies (who our tour guide had warned us about) were shoving large religious pictures at us. Suddenly two women shoved a picture against the waist of her elderly husband, and as they did so the lady saw a third gypsy pulling down the zipper on her husband's fly to look for a money belt. She hollered at the husband who quickly realized what was happening and stopped the theft.

All I can say is to be careful, only take what you need on shore and leave the rest in the safe on board. Europe is a fantastic place to visit but care is needed.

One of our experiences in rome was coming out of a church & a woman is standing there with supposedly a child in her arms. The child can be fake or real & while you are looking at the baby her other real hand is pickpocketing you. The worse thing we saw was coming out of a church in rome with a lot of steps they just shoved this woman down the steps grabbed her pocketbook & took off. The woman was all battered & bruised but she was okay. Barcelona one woman had her watch stolen off her wrist while walking down the street. Do not flash your jewelry, money etc. in any country! Always be beware it can happen anywhere here or abroad. I always try to pay attention to my surroundings especially when I see someone tooooo close to me.

The authorities let these thieves get away with this, and do nothing to try and control it. The authorities could try and bait these thieves and many thieves make a living this way.

How do you know they are not making an attempt to control it?

And if it's as prevelant as mentioned on this thread, they are likely catching some. Like anywhere, when you compare the police to criminal ratio, the criminals far outnumber the police and do get away with crimes very often.

150 reports a day would tie up a lot of the officers' time.

Archived