As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

Hello:

My husband and I are sailing on Noordam 9/23 (Alaska); just received my cruise docs and we are waitlisted on both early and late seating. Just talked to my TA and if things don't change, I'm in "as you wish dining"-I think our cruise is SOLD OUT. I booked 5 months ago and thought we were all set for late dining. How disappointing! If I had wanted as you wish dining, I would have booked NCL to Alaska. Any thoughts? I tried to do a search but I keep getting an error message today.

Any experience on HA with this new dining concept?

Sounds more like "as dictated dining".

It would be nice if you could just book a set time in AD, but what if all the AD'ers want the same early time, or the same later time. That's what happened on Princess & they are set up for it. Any way you look at it, someone's gonna be disappointed. In AD, you are not necessarily guaranteed the AD time you want if enough others have booked before you.

It's only single folks who can get royally screwed with this concept ... they are gonna have to arrange their own dining buddies or else they will wind up getting shoved "wherever" ... with other groups who may not be too pleased to have an outsider joining their table. Or, those poor singles will simply be placed at tables for two ... and dine alone every night. But couples and groups or families traveling together will be fine.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm one of those single folks, booked on Zuiderdam's first AYWD voyage, the March '08 FLL-Rome crossing, so yes, let's all keep putting pressure on HAL. So far, nothing I and a lot of others, plus my TA have done has had any evident effect. I have written directly to HAL's Executive VP for Guest Relations, but there hasn't been time for a response yet. Let's face it - with 12 ships in service HAL probably has 14 to 15 thousand people on board at any one time, so those of us protesting AYWD dining are a rather small minority in their eyes!

In my case, I have a simple solution - if I can't be assured traditional dining before final payment is due, I'll simply cancel and book cruises on Crystal and perhaps Fred. Olsen's new ABalmoral (former Norwegian Crown). I wonder if HAL cares.

I realize, however, that this may not work for somebody with a specific destination in mind, such as Alaska.

Good luck pattycat1, and keep us informed on the sticky on this subject.

Bob

In my case, I have a simple solution - if I can't be assured traditional dining before final payment is due, I'll simply cancel and book cruises on Crystal and perhaps Fred. Olsen's new ABalmoral (former Norwegian Crown). I wonder if HAL cares.

Bob--

I hope that if you do cancel and switch to Fred Olsen or Crystal, that you write a letter to Stein Kruse explaining why you did so.

I doubt that they'll enjoy hearing about losing your single supplement due to their AYW foolishness, and your travel dollars to a non CCL company!

Hello:

My husband and I are sailing on Noordam 9/23 (Alaska); just received my cruise docs and we are waitlisted on both early and late seating. Just talked to my TA and if things don't change, I'm in "as you wish dining"-I think our cruise is SOLD OUT. I booked 5 months ago and thought we were all set for late dining. How disappointing! If I had wanted as you wish dining, I would have booked NCL to Alaska. Any thoughts? I tried to do a search but I keep getting an error message today.

Any experience on HA with this new dining concept?

You need to contact the Ship Coordinater. They can e-mail the ship directly and see if they can get you the seating that you want.

I don't like what I'm reading about this As You Wish Dining thingy. I like traditional style, but am willing to try anything new. Still I hope they don't get rid of Traditional. Lots of single people have real problems with the idea of Open Seating, and I am one of them. But I've also never been afraid of dining with strangers.

Bob--

I hope that if you do cancel and switch to Fred Olsen or Crystal, that you write a letter to Stein Kruse explaining why you did so.

I doubt that they'll enjoy hearing about losing your single supplement due to their AYW foolishness, and your travel dollars to a non CCL company!

I certainly will! I copied Mr. Cruise on my previous letter to VP Richard Meadows; toyed with idea of also copying Howard Frank, Carnival Corp. CEO, but thought I'd hold off to see if HAL came through. Copies of any future letters will definitely go to Mr. Frank. Having worked for a couple of large corporations myself, I know how senior management loves receiving complaints from clients!

As you can see from my signature I've cruised with Crystal 5 times so far, with 2 more booked for this winter. They are really special, but quite a bit more expensive than HAL. This is partially mitigated by a lower single supplement in my case and more liberal credits for past pasengers and on-board bookings. They are also a lot more formal than HAL, which I like.

No experience with Fred Olsen, but my British friends say it is great, as do a lot of CC'rs on the Olsen boards. The brochures and website info I've seen so far on Balmoral look very impressive. Not only are they doing a complete refit of the former Norwegian Crown, but also stretching her by about 30 meters, so she'll end up with a capacity of around 1300, roughly the size of HAL's pre-Vista ships and only a little larger than Crystal Serenity. Balmoral will be doing two "Music of Your Life" Caribbean cruises in March with Buddy Morrow and Tommy Dorsey Seven, so I can still have some good music even if I cancel Zuiderdam big band crossing.

Will continue to post any new developments.

The Rev told me about you. Said you were a "class act." His words.

Awww - Thank You.

You were aboard Ryndam this past spring with them?

I met Scotty in passing, but he was busy running after someone else aboard ship and I dont think he had eyes for little 'ol me.

Hmmm - will have to have a word with Scotty...

...he must have had a couple too many Wang Wangs that day.

;)

Perhaps you might consider Traditional Dining and occasionally opt out of it ( and become a part of the problem :) ) and into Anytime Dining on your upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

This is exactly what I see as being a major problem of AYW dining. What's to stop someone from having their TA set them up for traditional dining and then using that slot as a "fallback" position only. Say they sign up for late seating and are assigned a spot at a table for six in traditional. But, maybe half the nights of the cruise they decide they don't want to wait until 8:30 to dine ... or perhaps they want to dine just the two of them that night ... and so they go to the AYW dining instead. Now that couple has tied up a spot in traditional, plus are overflowing into the AYW dining room. What that's gonna mean is a lot of empty seats in traditional on many nights, while the AYW area is filled to overflowing, with lines forming.

This is another reason I think HAL is making a big mistake adding AYW dining to their current ships, which are not really set up for it. NCL can make a success out of their freestyle dining because their ships are designed for it. HAL's are not. If HAL thinks AYW is the way to go ... if they have the customer comment cards to back up the fact that the majority of their guests would prefer this ... then they should just eliminate traditional altogether and go 100% AYW ... on both levels of the dining room. Then HAL cruisers can decide if they want to live with that or move along to another cruise line.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You don't? Then I'll try to explain.

Unfortunately, Ruth, we are in the minority here ... the very, very small minority. In the overall scheme of things, there are a minute amount of people who cruise solo when compared to the groups, families, couples, etc. Therefore, I highly doubt HAL gives a flip how we feel about the issue. We'll either adjust and work within the new program, or we'll find another cruise line. We're too small a group for HAL to worry much about losing us. It's that simple.

Blue skies ...

--rita

As you know, I'm one of those singles too ... and while I wouldn't mind trying AYW dining, I would not want to try it on a cruise where I was sailing solo. It doesn't sound like a great way to meet fellow cruisers at all. The nice thing about traditional dining is that you eat with the same group each night, and you hopefully form relationships over the course of the cruise. You get to know each other and sometimes even do other things besides eat dinner together. But with this AYW dining, I don't see that happening for the single person. It's gonna be just like lunch in the dining room ... everyone eats, throws down their napkins and bolts at the end of the meal. Chances are you'll never see them again.

I guess our only solution to this problem is to be active on the roll calls for our cruises ... and try to set up some dining arrangements through the roll call. Failing success with that, though, I think we're in for a lot of lonely meals on HAL. I might be joining you in exploring some other cruise lines ... and no, I honestly don't think HAL cares if we leave. It's nothing personal ... it's just that we singles are such a small minority that we fall far below their radar.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is exactly what I see as being a major problem of AYW dining. What's to stop someone from having their TA set them up for traditional dining and then using that slot as a "fallback" position only. Say they sign up for late seating and are assigned a spot at a table for six in traditional. But, maybe half the nights of the cruise they decide they don't want to wait until 8:30 to dine ... or perhaps they want to dine just the two of them that night ... and so they go to the AYW dining instead. Now that couple has tied up a spot in traditional, plus are overflowing into the AYW dining room. What that's gonna mean is a lot of empty seats in traditional on many nights, while the AYW area is filled to overflowing, with lines forming.

--rita

When we booked on the Volendam for November 23 for 3 cabins (6 pax) we were confirmed at the 6:15 traditional seating, a little early for our taste, but better than 8:00, which is way to late. When HAL made the change to AYW we were put on the 5:45 seating and that is just too early. I had the TA inquire about being on traditional and opting to do AYW on nights we didn’t want to eat at 5:45. TA said HAL told her that if you are booked for a traditional seating you can not use the AYW dining reservation system and that you could only get a table on a walk up basis, to discourage changing back and forth. So we immediately gave up our 5:45 table for 6 for the AYW dining option so we can eat when we want not when they want us too. Our whole group personally thanks HAL for making the bold move to make this change over to open dining.

Rita,

I agree with everything you said in your last 3 posts. Although there are some loyal singles and solos that sail HAL, we don't add much to the corporate bottom line in the whole scheme of things.

I can get reasonable solo rates on Carnival and don't mind sailing with them from time to time, but prefer the more upscale feel of HAL.

Celebrity and RCI charge solos 200% as a matter of course, unless you stumble across a last minute deal, but I have to plan cruises a minimum of 6 months in advance due to work constraints.

I don't relish the thought of wasting precious cruise time trying to arrange dining times with other passengers.

I'm not booked for 2008 yet, and was fooling around on the HAL website to ascertain cabin prices and availability. I was amazed at the number of cruises I'm interested in for next year that are already waitlisted for traditional dining. It doesn't bode well for us.

Roz

Rita,

Celebrity and RCI charge solos 200% as a matter of course, unless you stumble across a last minute deal, but I have to plan cruises a minimum of 6 months in advance due to work constraints.

I don't relish the thought of wasting precious cruise time trying to arrange dining times with other passengers.

Roz

And both Cunard and Seabourn also charge 200% for single occupancy. Seabourn advertises guaranteed single rates, subject to availability, but I've yet to find it available. Too bad, as I understand that Seabourn, although open seating, accommodates singles very well, often seating them at officers' tables. I have no problem with open seating with a small group, having experienced it with groups of 50 to 150 fellow passengers on Star Clipper, river boats and several land tours in Australia and New Zealand. Not a problem, as you get to know everyody very quickly. However I hate to think of it with 1900 passengers on board.

One of Crystal's strong points is single supplements of 25 to 30 percent except in the high-priced suites. Their biggest disadvantage is that with only two ships, choices of itineraries are quite limited.

Forgot to mention in earlier post is that an attractive feature of the new Balmoral is that Olsen has converted quite a few cabins, both inside and outside, to single occupancy.

We are getting close to having 300 sea days with HAL. To me this is a lot of money spent, and loyalty to HAL. One of the best parts of our cruising experience was the evening dinner table....a chance to meet new people and share experiences. We have met some very nice, interesting, and fun people this way. If I can not continue to have this experience with HAL, I will sadly take my business elsewhere. AYWD reminds me of going to the dinning room for breakfast or lunch, which to me was not enjoyable, as most times we were seated with people who were in the middle of their meal, and the service was spotty.

IMHO there is no reason HAL can't be flexible with this plan, except for one man's ego to maKe changes to "bring HAL up to date". He won't admit he might be wrong, and each ship could adjust the dinning room for each sailing based on requests. Personally, this whole idea might backfire on HAL, and they better be VERY careful with what they are doing. I realize, the few people we are in numbers of HAL passengers, but if you check, I bet we on this board, spend a lot of money and time each year on HAL.

Rita,

I agree with everything you said in your last 3 posts. Although there are some loyal singles and solos that sail HAL, we don't add much to the corporate bottom line in the whole scheme of things.

I can get reasonable solo rates on Carnival and don't mind sailing with them from time to time, but prefer the more upscale feel of HAL.

We're basically zilch for their bottom line, and it really is only us that will be totally screwed by AYW Dining.

I've had so many people tell me ... open seating works very well on some of the luxury lines that have been doing it for years. I don't doubt that at all. Open, flexible dining can easily work well there because there are not as many passengers onboard and there is a far lower guest to staff ratio. The matri 'd doesn't have 1000 or more passengers to worry about. He has the time to get to know those using his dining room. He can get a feel for who would like to dine with others and who insists on their privacy. He can usually fit the single in at a compatible table where everyone will be happy. I just can't see a matri 'd on a ship of over 1000 passengers having the time to do this. And that's why the single is gonna get shoved wherever. If he has a large table filling up, of course he'll put the single there. But if he has no large tables forming when the single walks in, well ... that single is gonna probably wind up eating at a table for two by themselves. If another single walks in while the first is eating, fine ... the two singles will be sitting together.

Right now I guess I shouldn't get too worked up about this. I'm in a situation where I'm gonna be heading back to school for about 15 months for retraining. I won't be able to do much cruising anyway. But once I do get myself back on a boat, guess I'll have to either stay strictly with long itineraries on HAL ... itineraries where there will be lots of singles and solos onboard ... or for shorter cruises, I too may be making the move to Carnival. It's not HAL, but it's one of the few places where I can get a fair single supplement.

Blue skies ...

--rita

And both Cunard and Seabourn also charge 200% for single occupancy.

It's a "dammed" shame that the QE2 is going out of service. That is one ship that has many, many single cabins. I was shocked that they didn't include any on the QM2 and that none are planned for the Queen Victoria. I never understood this. I can't see why EVERY cruise line can't have a small number of single cabins ... cabins that were once larger insides and outsides that were literally cut in half to make two cabins. Of course the cabins would be no more than 100 square feet ... but since only one person would be occupying them, that honestly wouldn't be too bad. The cabin could have a single bed, small dresser and reduced closet space ... and that should work since only one person would be occupying the cabin. I could even deal with it if the single cabins had shared bathrooms (with another single cabin) ... set up some way where when you locked your side of the door, both sides automatically locked.

I can't believe that ships like the QE2 could have loads of single cabins, yet other cruise lines feel they are unprofitable and thus don't have any on their ships. Doesn't make sense. Surely SOME singles sail on just about every cruise line. Why can't at least a few single cabins be offered to them? Surely there must be some extra small cabins that couples scream when they are relegated to? Surely there must be some cabins in locations where some of the floor space is compromised due to ship structure or whatever ... cabins that would be great for a single person who wouldn't have a beef with the reduced floor space.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But if he has no large tables forming when the single walks in, well ... that single is gonna probably wind up eating at a table for two by themselves. If another single walks in while the first is eating, fine ... the two singles will be sitting together.

Tables for two are at a premium...They are much in demand by couples...They are not going to put a single at a table by themselves unless they are not willing to sit with others.

Bob,

Crystal cruises are much more expensive to start with, so even with single supplements of 125% - 130%, they end up being more than HAL.

Roz

Yes but, at least to me, it's worth it!

Bob

It's a "dammed" shame that the QE2 is going out of service. That is one ship that has many, many single cabins. I was shocked that they didn't include any on the QM2 and that none are planned for the Queen Victoria. I never understood this. I can't see why EVERY cruise line can't have a small number of single cabins ... cabins that were once larger insides and outsides that were literally cut in half to make two cabins. Of course the cabins would be no more than 100 square feet ... but since only one person would be occupying them, that honestly wouldn't be too bad. The cabin could have a single bed, small dresser and reduced closet space ... and that should work since only one person would be occupying the cabin. I could even deal with it if the single cabins had shared bathrooms (with another single cabin) ... set up some way where when you locked your side of the door, both sides automatically locked.

I can't believe that ships like the QE2 could have loads of single cabins, yet other cruise lines feel they are unprofitable and thus don't have any on their ships. Doesn't make sense. Surely SOME singles sail on just about every cruise line. Why can't at least a few single cabins be offered to them? Surely there must be some extra small cabins that couples scream when they are relegated to? Surely there must be some cabins in locations where some of the floor space is compromised due to ship structure or whatever ... cabins that would be great for a single person who wouldn't have a beef with the reduced floor space.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Good points Rita, but unfortunately, as unfair as lack of single cabins seems to us solos, it is pretty much a matter of economics, both in construction and operation.

To reduce construction costs Carnival Corporation, and I assume others, use a "cookie cutter approach", with several brands on the same platform, just like GM and others do in the automobile industry. Although the newer Carnival, HAL, Costa, Princess and even Queen Victoria look quite different, they are basically pretty much the same, the differences being superficial. Standardized design facilitates prefabrication of standard cabins on shore, perhaps even in a different shipyard, and then simply lifting them into place and connecting utilities (that's a bit over-simplified, but pretty much the case).

On a ship, just as in your house, bathrooms are one of the most expensive areas, and the bathroom costs about the same for a 100 sq.ft. single as for a large double. This could be mitigated by shared baths for singles, but I doubt that this would be widely accepted.

From an operational standpoint, cost of cabin staff, maintenance, etc. is probably almost as much for a single cabin as for a double, with only one person per cabin instead of two buying everything from drinks to shore excursions.

No matter what some may feel about Carnival Corporation, they are very well managed and no doubt they look very hard at economics and the bottom line when making design decisions for new builds.

None of this makes things better for us singles, and many of us regret the departure of QE2. Early publicity for QM2 mentioned single cabins, but as we know, that never came to pass. I guess we just have to live with it or look for the few ships still offering singles or reasonable single supplements.

The next new-to-me line I'll probably try will be Fred Olsen, as I believe all of their ships have single cabins, and they are now starting to market in North America. And, perhaps one of these days I'll have an opportunity to try the former Vistafjord/Caronia (my Cunard favorite) and Sagafjord, both with Saga now - I believe Saga retained the single cabins when they bought the ships from Cunard and refit them as Saga Rose and Saga Ruby. (A Swedish friend commented that Saga Ruby sounds like the name of somebody you would find in a Swedish brothel).