Live from Millie 6/30-7/12- Damage

berryhappy24

So do you expect the Captain will be dismissed for this debacle!! Ultimately he is responsible. Maybe he already has been dismissed, I have not read every post in this thread.

Seems like this was a totally avoidable situation that was caused by inattention. Am i correct??

Xtopher 66,

I was looking at your pictures of the Infinity from your 5/05 Alaskan cruise, and I have a question. Where are pictures #27, 29, 30 of the ship taken? I am cruising on Infinity in Dec 07 and would like to try to find that place since it looks so beautiful. Thanks.

smooth sailor,

I cannot tell you whether you are making a mistake. But I will say that I don't think that we know what the root cause was for this incident--human error, electrical failure (which would have its own root causes), or what.

Secondly I don't think you can call the Customer Service people liars. The original 2 day repair forecast did not happen because the underwater field repair (and what a nightmare that must have been) did not go as planned/hoped. It sounds like Celebrity took a good chance in trying to avoid a drydock and it simply did not work out. One good thing about the drydock is that Celebrity will have the proper time to make all the correct repairs to the propellers including any balancing as you do not want to put any undue stress on the pod bearings

I would agree that there is room for improvement in better communication by Celebrity.

As some one who has been lurking on this board for awhile, I would like to add my 2 cents, if I may. I am booked on a future sailing of this same cruise, not the cancelled one, thank heavens. I feel so sorry for those who are missing their vacation and those who are booked on the cancelled cruise and feel that they have every right to be upset about how this incident and how it was handled by Celebrity.

Clemm, Your post is an excellent and intelligent comment about what happened. I also feel that those who want to mention that they missed a port once because of whatever or that stuff happens and how terrible this is for Celebrity, has nothing to do with someone who is so incompetent that they manage to run a cruise ship into a rock. The first lies by customer service that the problem would be fixed in a couple of days and then the lie that it had indeed been fixed by customer service is for me, just not right. After reading all of the dis-information passed out by Celebrity, I am now very concerned about my cruise and am starting to think that I have made a huge mistake.

I am not a defender of Celebrity cruises......but as the bumper sticker says....sh*t happens......2 princess cruises had incidents......a fire and a keel over.....i remember when monarch of the seas hit a sandbar and the hull had to be repaired ......etc..it goes on and on.....there is alot of disappointment right now.....i would not use the term disinformation or lyng......i have read this thread since the beginning..and alot of people were speculating..wishing....suggesting...etc...in this computer age world we live in..everything is up to the second..instant this and that...sometimes life doesn't quite work that way......my assumption is...celebrity is in business to make money and keep their customers.......full refund and free cruise is not a bad solution...as far as notifying the next group...they will do the best they can....what makes this difficult is the location of the cruise.....i wish everybody a safe journey home...and those passengers that just lost their cruise....sorry about that.........maybe you can catch another one this summer...check with your travel agent or celebrity ..maybe they can squeeze you in somewhere..........andy

Bella, 8/5 would be 1 or 2 cruises after the 7/12, correct?

Of course nothing is guranteed (as you have sadly seen) but I would

guess the ship will be sailing for the August cruise.

Based on the events of the last week, I wouldn't even try to venture a guess.

Regards

Hey Bella and History and all my July 12th friends...i am here with a glass of wine and my travel partners...we are so disappointed, but I truly believe things happen for a reason...we were just not meant to do this trip at this time...we have decided to reschedule the same trip for next summer as we planned too much too long and too well to throw it all away...i would love to start a new roll call, that won't be lame, for next year, if that is what you guys choose to do...august is too hot and too many places are closed..we will use our free cruise to do it again..i have to set my clock countdown again and wait 365 more days, but what the hell, we will have a great trip next year...who's with me?

Guest psuflita

Can hardly believe I am weighing in here, but I don't think any of us know enough to lay blame - or not. The one thing I do know, this debacle is costing Celebrity dearly, in refunding all those cruises - giving air and train credits - + their labor costs not to mention the cost of shipping in the new equipment and engineers. Short of their poor communication that needs improvement (the email idea is brilliant!) I don't know what else they could have done.

But I have some empathy for the team on the ship, my DH is an engineer, and I believe they were likely honest and felt they had every reason to believe they would have it fixed in short order. As we speak my DH is on call this weekend and on his way to fix someone's server - in ICU at hospital. Everyone gets poopy if it doesn't work like it is supposed to . . . understandably, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way - stuff happens.

If their previous statements are accurate - there was an electrical malfunction that caused the ship to hit the rocks. Engineers were on board looking into that. In the meantime, removal of the damaged equipment ultimately proved impossile (6 divers working around the clock - wow, that is quite an effort and quite dangerous, flown in from all over the world) - and it sounds like it is completely unlike anything they had ever experienced. How could they possibly predict this outcome?

I totally understand the disappointment - we are sailing the end of Aug (I hope) and I too would be crying if my cruise had been cancelled.

But I would hold off on the blame game. If there were staffing issues - they will be addressed swiftly. If my math is right, each cancelled cruise is costing $4,000,000+ just in returned fares. Not to mention other shipboard lost revenue - and still having to pay all the ship staff - possibly house and relocate them. Sounds like a logistical nightmare all the way around.

I hope some of you book on the Aug 29 cruise . . . we will have one hell of a cruise critics party!!

This was a nail biter - my husband was asking me why I kept watching this post - I was feeling your pain. I hope the worst is over and no one will have their vacations interrupted further.

Safe travels - and warm wishes to you all . . . those on your way home, and those making new plans!

When this happened to us I was on the phone as soon as the office opened. Go to the Celebrity site right now and put a cabin on hold.

If you know when or where you are going, call right now.

There are 4,000+ people, 2,000 cabins that have to be booked in the next year in space that is not yet filled.

Good luck.. and you can also pick a RCCL ship.

The question is why do we have to find out about problems through Cruise Critic. 90% of the people don't even know there is a problem yet.

You don't. I've been reading about it in the media this week. Celebrity has been talking to the media today and putting the word out about the cancellation. Travel agents will hear about it tomorrow when they open. If people on the 7/12 cruise haven't heard by tomorrow morning, their travel agents will tell them then.

Jordie...you ok out there?

I've been wondering that very thing myself. Have been following this thread since a few hours after post #1 (mostly from another ship's Internet). I'm really hoping Jordie will add a comment soon.

My neighbor booked the 7/12 sailing as a surprise for his wife, and only told her about it (actual details) last weekend. All she's known since May is that they were going "somewhere" and what dates to take off work. They've cruise quite a bit, but this was to be first on X. Every time I'd see her the first part of this past week she would shriek with glee about the cruise, and how she was getting little done at work because of the excitement.

They were part of tha 90+% who would hear nothing, and are not ones to check things on CruiseCritic. I got to be the bearer of bad news earlier today when it seemed the info was going in a way that wasn't positive. I told him without her around as I didn't think I could stand seeing that. How truly odd (not to mention wrong) that they had to hear the initial news from a neighbor who is a CruiseCritic member, and not from the line they booked this sailing through.

I guess they'll get their call in the morning. He truly was hoping I was playing some sort of sick joke earlier today. I so hate this for them, and all the other upcoming passengers.

The value of CruiseCritic was certainly realized by me these past few days.

**Yea!! Just read Jordie's post after typing for a while**

but I truly believe things happen for a reason...we were just not meant to do this trip at this time...

we will have a great trip next year...who's with me?

You are so disapointed, yet your dog is very excited. Irony sucks.

Your earlier posts during this issue were so interesting to read. The fact that you've found a way to keep a positive attitude is amazing. The is no doubt the replacement voyage will be a special one for you, because it sound like you have the desire to have a great vacation no matter what. Kudos to you!!

Have another glass of wine, and give the pooch a hug. You both are deserving.

Jordie I also find it amazing how positive your attitude is, as a canceled cruise is a real bummer!

I feel sorry for those on board now, but I think it´s worse for those of the canceled cruise. Those on board at least have a floading resort- can relax on board, enjoying a beatyfull ship and make the best out of it- and not to forget that they get a 100% refund!

Jane789 ~ can we ask in what media outlets you've been reading about the cancellations? I haven't seen news of this anywhere....when I check the news wire reports, the first news release I find from Celebrity is dated July 6 and it only talks about refunding the cruise fare of the passengers that embarked on June 30. So I'm curious where you've seen cancellation info all week.

:D I've been away from the computer for a while. I'm really sorry to hear about the cancellation of the 7/12 sailing. I hope you all find vacation plans that will make you equally excited.

Oakman - Thank you for the information. I will let him know about Air One. I just hope he gets in time!

mahdnc - How ironic is it that Google Earth has the Millie in Venice - if only that were true for the 12th!

cars0153 - I don't mind you asking at all. Jerry is a cruising friend of mine who is currently on the Millie - he's also a cruisecritic member. It is normal for him to email me while he is on a trip, just this time he had a bit more to report than normal.

My two cents: Although I know that all situations have details which differentiate them from others, someone previously mentioned Celebrity should have set up an 800 number for this situation - I completely agree! Having experienced a situation where there was damage to the ship just one day prior to sailing, I received a call from the cruise line, my TA, and was provided a telephone number for up-dates.....No harm done in "over" communicating.

Short of their poor communication that needs improvement (the email idea is brilliant!) I don't know what else they could have done.

Hi Psuflita !

Thank you for the compliment about my email idea. I know its far from a perfect solution, but a tremendous amount of passengers could have heard the news from directly from Celebrity, simply by Celebrity doing bulk emails. Heck, if I were running Celebrity.... over the past several days, I would have been sending out constant emails to the July 12th group, the MOMENT there was additional news (and updates) to offer. While the end result would have been the same, at least everyone would be on the same page.

I truly hope that Celebrity learns from this experience, and gets their communictions, website, and technology up to a 2007 level. It desperately needs to be addressed.

Mortagechick ~ to date, I haven't seen anything that definitely states what actually caused Millie to hit the rocks. There's been plenty of discussion but I haven't seen a final cause released.

One thing I've been meaning to mention to the July 12 cruisers planning a future cruise together....let us know....I think you'd be a wonderful group of people to cruise with!!!! :)

Guest psuflita
Hi Psuflita !

Thank you for the compliment about my email idea. I know its far from a perfect solution, but a tremendous amount of passengers could have heard the news from directly from Celebrity, simply by Celebrity doing bulk emails. Heck, if I were running Celebrity.... over the past several days, I would have been sending out constant emails to the July 12th group, the MOMENT there was additional news (and updates) to offer. While the end result would have been the same, at least everyone would be on the same page.

I truly hope that Celebrity learns from this experience, and gets their communictions, website, and technology up to a 2007 level. It desperately needs to be addressed.

No kidding Andy ... for all of us, we registered for the Cruise Critic party. Celebrity sent a happy message about that ... why couldn't they update folks on the situation?

And I suspect many folks do the online check in thingy - what could be easier?

Not that I don't think a special 800# isn't viable - but how the heck would you let folks know about this special number? email or website would be much better and could be up-to-the-minute. That would allow the reservations agents some place to also look for updated info, so they weren't giving out days old misinformation.

Celebrity ... you listening?

• Administrators

The value of CruiseCritic was certainly realized by me these past few days.

Everyone knows how much I personally value first-hand reports from the ships by our members -- and in this case that's what first proved so valuable. The fact that our editorial staff was alerted to this issue early last week -- and like dogs w/ a bone -- they continued to hound (sorry couldn't resist) which resulted in the info our members NEEDED to have.

The combination of continued discussion right here on the Celebrity forum, coupled with up-to-the minute reports by our members directly from the ship AND our ed staff news reports are unbeatable.

It's funny, because I finally got to prove my husband wrong for once...While I was alerting friends and relatives who were going to help us over the vacation, watering flowers, house sitting, etc, that the cruise was canceled, he was telling people my info came from a "blog" and that I didn't have the "confirmation" from celebrity...I think he now realizes why I spend so much time on these boards, they are the BEST and all the info was right on all the time...what would we ever do without? So I think we are going to reschedule for next july 10th...and go to an island next week and party like a rock star!!!!!!!:cool:

I just checked and they still have my reservation and no mention of a problem. When were we supposed to be notified, when we're boarding the plane to Venice?i

I cannot believe that there is absolutely NOTHING on the Celebrity website about this situation!!

Hey Bella and History and all my July 12th friends...i am here with a glass of wine and my travel partners...we are so disappointed, but I truly believe things happen for a reason...we were just not meant to do this trip at this time...we have decided to reschedule the same trip for next summer as we planned too much too long and too well to throw it all away...i would love to start a new roll call, that won't be lame, for next year, if that is what you guys choose to do...august is too hot and too many places are closed..we will use our free cruise to do it again..i have to set my clock countdown again and wait 365 more days, but what the hell, we will have a great trip next year...who's with me?

:( Hi Jordie:

We are booking our new cruise for next July10th in the morning. We are so disappointed as this was planned and booked 1 year ago. It was for my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary and my husband and 3 boys were all coming to celebrate with my parents. I am really disappointed- I have been looking at the 1/2 full suitcases. However, you are right things happen for a reason and we too are waiting another full year to hopefully enjoy this wonderful trip that we had planned. We are now scrambling what to do with our children who very much want to go away so we may head down to he Caribbean for a little relaxation. Hope that the July 12th gang of this year will book on the July 10th 2008 (SUMMIT). Great idea for the new roll call.:)

Archived