Live from Millie 6/30-7/12- Damage

berryhappy24

I absolutely agree, everyone is in the dark! And yes, llbiopoet, that's Mia, our 2 year old german shorthair who will be the ONLY one happy if we don't leave!:o I swear, if you could see my bedroom, suitcases and clothes all over...i pack, i sit, i read (i curse)! This ain't RIGHT!

I hope everyone is able to enjoy their planned trips - it may not be exactly as originally planned but as someone once taught me "nasty surprises and ambiguous situations can be the most enjoyable and rewarding if you forget what might have been and go for what its going to be"

I am sure as there is news to give, everyone will hear it and in the meantime I would do some web research on extra things to do in Venice - and for one thing I would spend a good long time on the Isle of Torcello -more time than quick excursions give you. Its a lovely place for a glass of wine canal side

Then again, if the July 12 sailing departs on schedule, the 95% of passengers who have never read Cruise Critic are the ones better of because they never went through all this (then unnecessary) stress...

Sasset, I agree, and am very thankful to the folks on Millie who have been providing updates on here. We can't count on them to continue to do so, especially if the cruise indeed terminates in Rome and they are all scrambling to arrage transport to Venice, hotels, etc...

Floris

... On the positive side for me, I'd love to spend some extra time in Venice. Perhaps if there are any additional delays they are only a couple of days, you'll get to enjoy some extra time in Venice and then get to enjoy the rest of the cruise....I'm hoping.....

I was thinking the same thing. Venice is our favorite city in Europe and I can think of a whole lot worse than having a few extra days there.

The logistics will be very interesting. I doubt that Venice has enough hotel capacity to hold everyone if Millie doesn't make it by the 12th. If Millie does make it by the 12th, if the ship has to be drydocked, can it accomodate passengers?

In any case, as Lois said, we have no information whatever to provide beyond whatever RCI provides via news releases and what is posted by those folks currently on board.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who is on board Millie right now and keeping us informed from the customer's perspective. Thanks, also, to everyone else for staying calm and positive about this whole mess, especially those who are sailing next week and have all their positive emotions balanced off with a ton of uncertainties.

:cool: Hi Everyone:

I just spoke with Celebrity Customer Service and they said that 2 hours ago they were speaking with ground force operations and they informed them that they will be in Venice for July12th.

They also said that if it has to go into Dry Dock in Venice on July 12 it does not take long to fix a propeller. So perhaps we can all enjoy an extended day or so in Venice and then happy sailing. Hopefully.:)

Hi All, hope current issues get resloved satisfactorily. We have never cruised before and are due to go on a Med cruise on Millenium from Barcelona on 7 October. I have paid a deposit and am due to pay the balance to my TA by the end of July.

I am becoming increasingly concerned by what I have read on various forums on the net, Celebrity was recommended as being "a cut above the rest" by my TA (it's a 25th wedding surprise) but I read of reliability problems with the pods, various reports that the ship and its furnishings are getting "tired" along with falling service standards and now this issue of them apparently running the ship onto rocks which thankfully just caused damage to the props and not to the hull. I am beginning to wonder if I have made a big mistake, are Celebrity all they are supposed to be or should I pull the plug and look elsewhere.

I hope my concerns don't annoy faithfulls, but given all I have read, I fear they are well founded.

We were just informed that our cruise has been cancelled and that Millie will go into Dry dock to repair the port propeller. We will get assiatance in getting to Venice by the 12th. They will not kick us off the ship tomorrow, we have until the 11th or 12th to find hotel/transportation to our final departure city.

We have 2 options, fly home from Rome in a few days, or they will bus/train us to Venice by the 12th. Many people have left today and Damien announced that Venice hotels are sold out. Many found hotels 2-3 hours out of the city.

We have decided to try and visit Santorini before we get to Venice on the 12th. Wish us luck in finding hotels this late.

Unfortunately also some bad news. The July 12 sailing was just closed for new reservations. Celebrity.com still lists prices, but if you click on and actually try to select a cabin, the website now suddenly tells you that there are no more cabins available. An hour ago, there were cabins in almost every categories...

They will not kick us off the ship tomorrow, we have until the 11th or 12th to find hotel/transportation to our final departure city.

Millennium still being in Rome on the 11th or 12th and going into drydock after that is the worst possible news for the July 12th sailing... Or is the ship going into drydock now with all you guys on it??

We were just informed that our cruise has been cancelled and that Millie will go into Dry dock to repair the port propeller. We will get assiatance in getting to Venice by the 12th. They will not kick us off the ship tomorrow, we have until the 11th or 12th to find hotel/transportation to our final departure city.

We have 2 options, fly home from Rome in a few days, or they will bus/train us to Venice by the 12th. Many people have left today and Damien announced that Venice hotels are sold out. Many found hotels 2-3 hours out of the city.

We have decided to try and visit Santorini before we get to Venice on the 12th. Wish us luck in finding hotels this late.

Wow, you are adding more adventure to your trip by going to Santorini. Be safe and.please let us know that you arrived home safely. Remember this is high season in SAntorini, check with travel agents in italy before leaving and the net of course. There are some great B and B's. hope all goes well. When I was last in Santorini the owners at B and B's met you at the ferries to try and sell their rooms.

Is Celebrity assisting the passengers in finding a room? Are they paying for you to get to Venice? What about the change in airport if you wish? I can only imagine the chaios. Since they tell you the cruise is over , what does that mean? Will you still have meals or are they just providing a roof over your head?

Ok get this! My DH just called Celebrity customer service and she read the last report that said the ship was already repaired in Rome! Someone else call and see what they tell you. This isn't matching up at all.:confused:

Millennium still being in Rome on the 11th or 12th and going into drydock after that is the worst possible news for the July 12th sailing... Or is the ship going into drydock now with all you guys on it??

We have a winner!! This is the pregnant question, indeed!!

Perhaps (and this is pure conjecture) the July 12 sailing will now leave from Rome, instead of Venice!

I am confused...how are they going to go into drydock with passengers still on board? When are they doing the drydock? Someone calm me down.

It sounds like since they have until the 11th or 12th to disembark, it means the July 12th cruise will be cancelled. Perhaps someone on the cruise can confirm this. Sadly, they are a better source of information that the CSR's.

I am so sorry.

Marie

We have a winner!! This is the pregnant question, indeed!!

Perhaps (and this is pure conjecture) the July 12 sailing will now leave from Rome, instead of Venice!

Yes, this could be a possible scenario. Disregard my last post, lol. Oh, how the waiting must be so hard. And, then there are those who have know idea what is going on :(.

Marie

Unfortunately also some bad news. The July 12 sailing was just closed for new reservations. Celebrity.com still lists prices, but if you click on and actually try to select a cabin, the website now suddenly tells you that there are no more cabins available. An hour ago, there were cabins in almost every categories...

They are now showing the 7/24 sailing as sold out in all categories....how curious!

I hope all works out for all involved.

So sorry to hear people's plans will not be as expected. I do hope whatever people are able to do on their "new" vacation they will have an enjoyable time and I am sure you will also have a fabulous cruise one day soon fully paid for by Celebrity

I just received an e-mail from Jerry, I'll just cut and paste it:

Pam,They have just cancelled the cruise and the ship will go to dry dock forrepairs.The gave us 2 options: the first is to try and get us out of Rome as soonas possible. The second option is to go to Venice by bus or train andtake our original flight. We have chosen to go to Venice. We feel thiswould be the easiest for us even though it requires hours on the bus ortrain. At least we have confirmed seats on Air France and at this busytime of the year getting seats will be very difficult in both cities.Jerry

Since the great idea of using the other ships in port as a web cam was posted, and the Sea Princess has left port, I went to google earth and am able see the Millie in port....

Pam

Hi All, hope current issues get resloved satisfactorily. We have never cruised before and are due to go on a Med cruise on Millenium from Barcelona on 7 October. I have paid a deposit and am due to pay the balance to my TA by the end of July.

I am becoming increasingly concerned by what I have read on various forums on the net, Celebrity was recommended as being "a cut above the rest" by my TA (it's a 25th wedding surprise) but I read of reliability problems with the pods, various reports that the ship and its furnishings are getting "tired" along with falling service standards and now this issue of them apparently running the ship onto rocks which thankfully just caused damage to the props and not to the hull. I am beginning to wonder if I have made a big mistake, are Celebrity all they are supposed to be or should I pull the plug and look elsewhere.

I hope my concerns don't annoy faithfulls, but given all I have read, I fear they are well founded.

Well, you still have time before final payment to see how this plays out.

I would, however, ask my TA why she/he didn't tell me about the pod issues (assuming you found out on Cruise Critic), so you could make an informed decision.

Many on this board love Celebrity...but even they stay away from the M-class if it's going to ports that are important to them.

Some don't care because they've been to the ports many times and/or intend to go back many times.

I wouldn't take an M-class in the Med or Alaska. Caribbean is a different story. That's just me....you have to make your own decision. Good luck.

I just received an e-mail from Jerry, I'll just cut and paste it:

Pam,They have just cancelled the cruise and the ship will go to dry dock forrepairs.The gave us 2 options: the first is to try and get us out of Rome as soonas possible. The second option is to go to Venice by bus or train andtake our original flight. We have chosen to go to Venice. We feel thiswould be the easiest for us even though it requires hours on the bus ortrain. At least we have confirmed seats on Air France and at this busytime of the year getting seats will be very difficult in both cities.Jerry

Since the great idea of using the other ships in port as a web cam was posted, and the Sea Princess has left port, I went to google earth and am able see the Millie in port....

Pam

Google Earth isn't live, the pics are years old!!

I'm on the phone right now. Captain's club last memo was emailed July 6th. I was Transferred to customer service and talked to someone at RCL who had no info... who transferred me to Celebrity customer service ..who found out from family members that the ship had not left yet..

You would think that Celebrity would have set up a dedicated 800 number for concerned cruisers who want to be assured they are flying to a cruise.. or better yet an email to all future passengers that departure is still scheduled for next weekend. Shame on you Celebrity!!...

And for all those people who did not heed my warning not to smile because things would get worse if they did... I was born a pessimist. That way I will never be disappointed and all good news is a bonus. For all those urging passengers to make lemonade out of lemons.. I like sugar in mine. This whole episode is leaving a very sour/bitter taste in my attitude to (mis)management.

I feel so bad for all those on this cruise and those worrying about the uncertainty of the next one.

Archived