Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On 10/26/2018 at 4:23 PM, Algebralovr said:

I drew in where Celebrity put the box on the Solstice, and where others have said they've had them on other S-Class ships.  

image.png.8a6e70aaa1c61e268628c3971b4afd09.png

The wind tunnel is the little hallway next to the theater.  There is a door to go backstage in the area where the box ends up.  Any time the ship is underway, the wind tunnel has a quite stiff breeze.  The area where they put the box is also used as storage for floor cleaning equipment.  This is on deck 5.  Definitely not an accessible location, either.  There is a good sized lip to step over to get from the deck into the wind tunnel.

2 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

Algebralovr, I can't seem to find the image . . . where did Celebrity put the relief box?

Here you go, Henry.  

Henry, what a great idea.....It seems like such a long time ago when Brenda, Morey and I ventured out onto the Celebrity Summit back in 2005.  They had absolutely no idea what to do with my Service Dog.  They placed the box exactly where Algebralovr documents in the drawing.  It was far away from our cabin, through doors that were impossible to open when the ship was moving, because of the winds.  If the crew were washing down the deck it became slippery to walk on.  We had a huge veranda but did not think of asking them to move the box.  If I had a "do-over", I definitely would go directly to the Hotel Manager and request the box be moved!

Our next cruise was onboard the Diamond Princess;  the box was placed on deck 7 where the smokers would go and throw their butts into the box.......they thought it was a huge ashtray.  This happened on a Carnival cruise too; Brenda burnt her paw, I complained, we got a free cruise and it was NEVER placed on an outside deck again!

NCL:  The box was placed in a crew mop closet, near our cabin, under a laundry sink.  It was the best box I have ever seen, with the most easy to use mulch.

Carnival:  A cardboard box with artificial turf, placed on an outside deck, far from our cabin.....it took a few complaints, big mistakes and on all subsequent Carnival Cruises the box has been placed on our patio.  The boxes are made of some sort of metal, filled with hard pellets but always in the right place [I cover the pellets with the artificial turf that I bring along.]

Princess:  The box was placed far from our cabin, I complained, they moved it to a hallway that only the crew uses and then finally placed it in the stairwell, near our cabin, it's filled with wood shavings from their woodworking dept.

Costa:  The box was placed on our veranda, filled with dirt.  The Steward wanted to walk Brenda for us and was upset that I picked-up the solids.

HAL:  The box was placed on our veranda, filled with mulch.

Silversea:  The box was placed on our veranda filled with kitty litter......ugh!  Brenda tracked it into the cabin every time she used it.  They changed it to mulch at the first port stop.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I’ve sailed three lines with the dog. Holland America has been the best, with definitely the least hassle and tension when something needed changing. Filler has always been grass sod, which my dog likes best.

Celebrity is Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get. Box filler (we sail out of Florida) has never been the grass sod I request because their access information says in print that it can be provided, and the other fillers have often been terrible. Once we had an anti-dog, cold response from the officers, another time a super-friendly reception from the captain on down with helpful staff. But the location has always been bad - either a corner on the open, wet, exposed, forward deck with high winds & heavy doors on a Millennium-Class ship, or via a wet, exposed forward deck to the Solstice-class ships’ “wind tunnel.” 

The last Line was Marina Atlantic, an overnight ferry Nova Scotia to Newfoundland. The big ship had a walk-in stainless steel box with a layer of kitty litter housed in the same room as caged pet dogs who whined and looked pitiful. My dog refused to use it, and she was really glad to see grass 16 hours later.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:15 PM, rpclmc said:

Hopefully, this is my last question before my first cruise with Halo in a week.

The Bahamas does not require the Aphis.  It does not appear Carnival requires it.  Do I get one just in case?  Or just have the vaccination records, the permit to import from the Bahamas and the health certificate (that I am getting Saturday, we leave Sunday)?

Linda and Halo

I sent in my money for the import permit to Bahamas back in February and have not received anything and they are not answering me my emails What did you do to get it?

6 hours ago, lonelysable said:

I sent in my money for the import permit to Bahamas back in February and have not received anything and they are not answering me my emails What did you do to get it?

I didn't send money.  I was told service dogs don't have to pay the fee, I was willing to but didn't need to.  I faxed the import form with a cover letter to the Director of Agriculture to 1-242-325-3960 and emailed it to Deandra Delancey at deanradelancy@bahamas.gove.bs.  Then I followed up with her about a week later at 1-242-397-7450.  She is extremely nice.  She is the top veterinarian there.

Linda and Halo

9 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I didn't send money.  I was told service dogs don't have to pay the fee, I was willing to but didn't need to.  I faxed the import form with a cover letter to the Director of Agriculture to 1-242-325-3960 and emailed it to Deandra Delancey at deanradelancy@bahamas.gove.bs.  Then I followed up with her about a week later at 1-242-397-7450.  She is extremely nice.  She is the top veterinarian there.

Linda and Halo

It would be so nice if Immigration officials recognized our dogs as "durable medical equipment", and stop charging us such ridiculous fees to enter their ports.  Especially, USA Ports in Hawaii.  Last year, not only did I have to pay $250 for the Rabies Titer Serology but I had to pay the Quarantine Inspector [to keep Horton out of quarantine] $244. 

I don't have to pay for the Rabies Titer again because the test is good for 3 years but the Quarantine Station Officer may ask for the fee after I fax all the Notarized documentation that is required, following Horton's Vet Check, where I will have to pay for the Aphis 7001 form to be filled out [my Vet always tells me that he gives me a discount because Horton is a Service Dog.]  

Mexico is part of the Hawaii cruise so I know that all the forms I get for Hawaii will be used in Mexico once we arrive in the Ensenada Port, so I won't have to duplicate any forms or pay any more fees in Mexico.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at the fact that a USA port charges for my "medical equipment" at all.

Princess wants all documentation faxed to their corporate offices within a week before the cruise so they can fax everything to the ship.  Which always makes me laugh, because when I get to the ship to register, they ALWAYS ask for a copy of all the paperwork both at registration and again at the Guest Relations Desk.

Lots of "Hoops and Whistles"  but, again, so worth it to have your fur partner with you onboard your cruise, I promise!!!!!

5 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

It would be so nice if Immigration officials recognized our dogs as "durable medical equipment", and stop charging us such ridiculous fees to enter their ports.  Especially, USA Ports in Hawaii.  Last year, not only did I have to pay $250 for the Rabies Titer Serology but I had to pay the Quarantine Inspector [to keep Horton out of quarantine] $244. 

I don't have to pay for the Rabies Titer again because the test is good for 3 years but the Quarantine Station Officer may ask for the fee after I fax all the Notarized documentation that is required, following Horton's Vet Check, where I will have to pay for the Aphis 7001 form to be filled out [my Vet always tells me that he gives me a discount because Horton is a Service Dog.]  

Mexico is part of the Hawaii cruise so I know that all the forms I get for Hawaii will be used in Mexico once we arrive in the Ensenada Port, so I won't have to duplicate any forms or pay any more fees in Mexico.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed at the fact that a USA port charges for my "medical equipment" at all.

Princess wants all documentation faxed to their corporate offices within a week before the cruise so they can fax everything to the ship.  Which always makes me laugh, because when I get to the ship to register, they ALWAYS ask for a copy of all the paperwork both at registration and again at the Guest Relations Desk.

Lots of "Hoops and Whistles"  but, again, so worth it to have your fur partner with you onboard your cruise, I promise!!!!!

I am stunned that Hawaii can get away with all the requirements and charges being completely under the ADA guidelines.

That has prevented me from being interested in doing a Hawaiian cruise, which I would love to but not without Halo and I am not willing to pay so much for a cruise.

I think I will research this and maybe get my ADA person involved and see if we can get some changes going.  Who knows, but worth a try.

Linda and Halo

I hope everyone had a nice relaxing Thanksgiving.  We had a small turkey breast, dressing, gravy, cranberries and olives.  Easy peasy.  With just the three of us, it is so hard to find a small turkey.  The ones at our store were ginormus.  It was nice and quiet.  We are in a "in-between" rental until we get a new house.  On one hand it is convenient, then on the other hand it is a pain.  It is fully furnished, they use it as a "snowbird" rental.  So I packed almost all of our stuff.  Keep finding things that I didn't bring and not here.  The can opener they had was useless.  I bought on at the dollar store that gets r done.  Didn't help me the night before when I needed it though!  

Hope everyone has a nice and peaceful rest of your holiday.

Nancy

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:20 AM, rpclmc said:

I am stunned that Hawaii can get away with all the requirements and charges being completely under the ADA guidelines.

That has prevented me from being interested in doing a Hawaiian cruise, which I would love to but not without Halo and I am not willing to pay so much for a cruise.

I think I will research this and maybe get my ADA person involved and see if we can get some changes going.  Who knows, but worth a try.

Linda and Halo

I would love your investigation results.......Of course it will be too late for my trip but if it could make it easier for others that would be good too. 

You say you have an ADA "Person", exactly what does that mean?  If this person is an ADA Attorney or someone who can assist with ADA violations I would like to hear more and have some questions that I'd like to ask.....you may contact me at roz morey at yahoo dot com.

Happy Weekend Everyone.  I hope that your Turkey Day was restful and filled with thankful moments.

I'm planning some future cruises with family, [even though I have one coming up on Dec. 4th.]  I'm looking at the Royal Princess for November of 2019.  They're offering either the Sip & Sail Package or the 3 For Free.  Either one would be nice.  The Sip & Sail is the Drinking Package and the 3 For Free is Free Gratuities/Onboard Credit and Dining in Specialty Restaurant.  Love the "freebies!"  I'm leaning towards Princess for most of my upcoming cruises.  I like cruising out of my home port and I will try and take advantage of whatever packages they offer.

Horton will be 10 1/2 years old then and cruising will NOT be top on his list of things he likes to do.  I'll anticipate taking him and keep in mind any limitations that may come up;  the biggest one being getting into a tender boat......he's not a fan of jumping into anything that's moving. 

20 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Happy Weekend Everyone.  I hope that your Turkey Day was restful and filled with thankful moments.

I'm planning some future cruises with family, [even though I have one coming up on Dec. 4th.]  I'm looking at the Royal Princess for November of 2019.  They're offering either the Sip & Sail Package or the 3 For Free.  Either one would be nice.  The Sip & Sail is the Drinking Package and the 3 For Free is Free Gratuities/Onboard Credit and Dining in Specialty Restaurant.  Love the "freebies!"  I'm leaning towards Princess for most of my upcoming cruises.  I like cruising out of my home port and I will try and take advantage of whatever packages they offer.

Horton will be 10 1/2 years old then and cruising will NOT be top on his list of things he likes to do.  I'll anticipate taking him and keep in mind any limitations that may come up;  the biggest one being getting into a tender boat......he's not a fan of jumping into anything that's moving. 

OMD (Oh My Dawg)  Horty just cannot be 10 1/2 years old!  How long have we been "friends" because of your original post, Roz?  My eyes get leaky thinking about it.  ❤️

Roz, the ADA person is in Idaho.  I am not sure I have met her in person, but my trainer has put us in contact.  She is involved in legislation that comes up regarding ADA laws and SD's.  I don't think she is an attorney, but beyond knowledgeable.  I have only had fairly simple questions at this point, but she always answers and refers to the appropriate ADA laws.  I did end up reporting an Airbnb for refusing us.  I asked what the laws where.  I know Airbnb's can be a person's home and there may be allergies, etc that make having a dog there very uncomfortable for the host.  I totally respect that and don't think my disability is more important than theirs.  I always am open and advise them my situation.  This person does not even live close and just said no to pets.  I then again explained it was not a pet, fully trained, I cleaned up after him and I had stellar reviews from everyone, including no pets hosts.  He blocked me from communicating with him and refused further communication.  Things like that offend me and I will press further.  If someone would come back and say they have severe allergies, I am ok, but just plain, nasty refusal - not so much.

I will keep you in the loop.  Don't know what I can do or find out, but doesn't hurt to try and it is the kind of thing I like to do.  I won't be dealing with it until after Christmas, most likely.

I leave for our cruise tomorrow and then have my daughter and boyfriend coming here - Florida for Christmas.  We are also going to the parks at Disney World when they are here.

So, I am packed and some loaded in the car.  2 hour drive to the port.  We will leave by 8:00 am tomorrow. 

Rich flew into Florida - Tampa on Thanksgiving early evening.  So didn't have much of a turkey meal.  I am no cook, but did make a crock pot turkey meal and it really turned out good.  Surprised both of us.  Heck some of the stuff I have made, even the starving wouldn't eat.

10 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

OMD (Oh My Dawg)  Horty just cannot be 10 1/2 years old!  How long have we been "friends" because of your original post, Roz?  My eyes get leaky thinking about it.  ❤️

Nancy, Horty is 9 1/2, he will be 10 1/2 on my cruise in November, 2019.  He's aging fast enough, we don't need to rush it. 

You and I have known each other for many years and have shared lots of experiences.  I treasure your friendship and hope that it goes on for many, many more years.  See if you can get yourself onboard one of my cruises.  That would be so much fun!

On 11/20/2018 at 8:30 PM, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

Thank you so mush Linda. I just emailed her and hope I hear back soon we are going on a cruise in Feb and don't want to miss out on Bahamas Fingers and Toes crossed 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:30 PM, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

Hello Linda the email is incorrect I don't think gove is right. I think it is just gov. Can you please verify for me please

We are back from our biggest adventure yet with my service dog Henrietta (“Henri”). We flew to Paris, traveled to London on the Eurostar and then took a Transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale with port stops in Boston, New York and Bermuda. I also had the paperwork for the Bahamas, but we ended up skipping that port due to bad weather. Access with Henri to hotels, museums, restaurants, etc. in Europe was very good with the exception of one cab driver who refused to take us in Paris (even though France has similar service dog laws to the US). The customs officials at Charles de Gaulle airport did not want to see or sign Henri’s EU health certificate (which made me a little nervous that would cause a problem when we tried to enter the UK since you are supposed to validate the certificate by having it signed upon first entering the EU).

The paperwork for this trip made the requirements and documentation for the Panama Canal and Hawaii seem so easy! The UK requires a tapeworm treatment (shot or pill) within 120 hours of entering the country so we had that done at the vet on the way to the airport to give us as much time as possible (the USDA will endorse the EU health certificate prior to the tapeworm so I had that done a couple of days before we left). I had to have two EU health certificates: one in French for France and one in English for the UK. The USDA endorsed both of them (they usually will only endorse the certificate for the first country you enter after leaving the US, but they made an exception and endorsed the UK certificate too since that one would have the required tapeworm treatment listed).

Eurostar does not take pets and I had to provide proof that Henri was a service dog. I had the organization that trained her (Canine Companions for Independence) provide me with a letter with all of her information including microchip number, detailing her training and stating that CCI is a member of Assistance Dogs International.

There was another small dog on the cruise that barked at Henri whenever she saw her and barked at the custom officials in Bermuda. We needed a permit for the Bahamas (which we didn’t end up using) and Bermuda. The permit is so much easier to get for Bermuda than for the Bahamas – Bermuda responds very quickly to e-mails and waived the 10-day requirement. We had to go down and meet the Bermudan customs officials upon docking and they inspected and stamped Henri’s permit. We had to show the stamped permit to exit the ship.

Taking Henri with us made the trip more complicated, but it was definitely worth it to have her with me.

IMG_3743.JPG

Edited by DUTRAVEL

I'm preparing for our first cruise since my wife got a service dog. I think I have all the departure paperwork: vaccination records, Bahamas import permit, and an appt for the vet to fill out the Bahamas health cert the day before we leave.

My big remaining question is: do we need anything else for our return to the US?

This is a 3 day cruise to get the dog used to things.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We flew to Paris, traveled to London on the Eurostar and then took a Transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale with port stops in Boston, New York and Bermuda.

IMG_3743.JPG

I love the photo!

Were you on Celebrity Silhouette?  It sounds like their crossing.  I’ve heard all kinds of things from people about this years TA and skipping Bahamas (no big loss IMHO), and how cold and windy it was.

Hubby and I will be on Silhouette in February.  Leaving Scooter at home, though.  

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

I love the photo!

Were you on Celebrity Silhouette?  It sounds like their crossing.  I’ve heard all kinds of things from people about this years TA and skipping Bahamas (no big loss IMHO), and how cold and windy it was.

Hubby and I will be on Silhouette in February.  Leaving Scooter at home, though.  

Yes, we were on the Silhouette. It was definitely cold and windy which caused the outside decks to be closed for most of the crossing. The waves were high for the first couple of days, but not the worst that we have experienced. The motion does not seem to bother Henri at all.  We didn't plan to do much in Nassau anyway so we were not that disappointed to skip it. Even with the weather, we had a great time (I know some people complained, but that's the chance you take on a Transatlantic).

Dianne

2 hours ago, Ragoczy said:

I'm preparing for our first cruise since my wife got a service dog. I think I have all the departure paperwork: vaccination records, Bahamas import permit, and an appt for the vet to fill out the Bahamas health cert the day before we leave.

My big remaining question is: do we need anything else for our return to the US?

This is a 3 day cruise to get the dog used to things.

Thanks!

Even when its not strictly necessary (unless required by the cruise line), most of us go ahead and have our vet fill out an Aphis Form 7001 International Health Certificate. I would rather have too much paperwork than have a problem when trying to return to the US.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Nancy, Horty is 9 1/2, he will be 10 1/2 on my cruise in November, 2019.  He's aging fast enough, we don't need to rush it. 

You and I have known each other for many years and have shared lots of experiences.  I treasure your friendship and hope that it goes on for many, many more years.  See if you can get yourself onboard one of my cruises.  That would be so much fun!

❤️ :classic_love:Me too! 🐕🐈🐾

On 11/25/2018 at 12:11 PM, lonelysable said:

Hello Linda the email is incorrect I don't think gove is right. I think it is just gov. Can you please verify for me please

I just got back from my cruise.  I totally screwed up that email address, so sorry. 

DEANDRADELANCEY@bahamas.gov.bs

Once you get hold of someone, it goes quickly.  I waited 3 weeks, then started doing my follow ups.  Once I reached her, it took a day.

Linda and Halo

Linda

Back from first cruise with Halo.  It went well.  Halo was on his best behavior the whole time.  I can't say he had fun, he seemed so serious, even when we gave him the release command and let people love on him.  He seemed bothered by all the attention, he really isn't used to it.  We normally just move through crowds with no stopping.

Most everyone was just so in love with him.  We had two groups with negative, one scowled and 1 one said if we came on the elevator with her she was getting off.  I didn't say anything and just waited for the next elevator.  If she was nastier, I would have said something, but she was afraid of dogs and that is her right; she was first on the elevator and so to me it wasn't worth any conflict.

Most asked question "where does he go to the bathroom"?  2nd most "is he having fun"?

It does slow down moving from one event to another.  Everyone wants to stop and ask about him.  He fell in love with one girl we met, he got so excited seeing her.  And she only lives 30 minutes from me, so he will be able to see her again.  A couple of offers of dog sitting, of course, we didn't leave him with a stranger.

His favorite day was at the private island.  Rich took him down the beach and let him play in the water.  He was so happy and had a crowd watching him have such a good time.  We only had two drive by pettings.  With that many people I was impressed with the limited drive by's and negatives.

Oh, the relief box was put on the balcony.  It took about an hour to convince them to move it.  After that when we got to the Lido it was packed and finding seating was a nightmare and getting food the lines where long.  That I was disappointed in, if we didn't have to deal with the relief box we would have beat the crowds.  I expected that though from the information provided here.

It was a VERY bumpy cruise, VERY windy.  Halo did not get sick at all, ate and did his business fine.  He was a bit nervous about the rocking at first, but then realized it wasn't bothering us and he was fine after that and the movement/bumpy only got worse.

Our paperwork was never checked.  I would NEVER recommend not having everything in order and all the paperwork, just amazed and them not even looking at it in the ports.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

We are back from our biggest adventure yet with my service dog Henrietta (“Henri”). We flew to Paris, traveled to London on the Eurostar and then took a Transatlantic cruise from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale with port stops in Boston, New York and Bermuda. I also had the paperwork for the Bahamas, but we ended up skipping that port due to bad weather. Access with Henri to hotels, museums, restaurants, etc. in Europe was very good with the exception of one cab driver who refused to take us in Paris (even though France has similar service dog laws to the US). The customs officials at Charles de Gaulle airport did not want to see or sign Henri’s EU health certificate (which made me a little nervous that would cause a problem when we tried to enter the UK since you are supposed to validate the certificate by having it signed upon first entering the EU).

The paperwork for this trip made the requirements and documentation for the Panama Canal and Hawaii seem so easy! The UK requires a tapeworm treatment (shot or pill) within 120 hours of entering the country so we had that done at the vet on the way to the airport to give us as much time as possible (the USDA will endorse the EU health certificate prior to the tapeworm so I had that done a couple of days before we left). I had to have two EU health certificates: one in French for France and one in English for the UK. The USDA endorsed both of them (they usually will only endorse the certificate for the first country you enter after leaving the US, but they made an exception and endorsed the UK certificate too since that one would have the required tapeworm treatment listed).

Eurostar does not take pets and I had to provide proof that Henri was a service dog. I had the organization that trained her (Canine Companions for Independence) provide me with a letter with all of her information including microchip number, detailing her training and stating that CCI is a member of Assistance Dogs International.

There was another small dog on the cruise that barked at Henri whenever she saw her and barked at the custom officials in Bermuda. We needed a permit for the Bahamas (which we didn’t end up using) and Bermuda. The permit is so much easier to get for Bermuda than for the Bahamas – Bermuda responds very quickly to e-mails and waived the 10-day requirement. We had to go down and meet the Bermudan customs officials upon docking and they inspected and stamped Henri’s permit. We had to show the stamped permit to exit the ship.

Taking Henri with us made the trip more complicated, but it was definitely worth it to have her with me.

IMG_3743.JPG

Wow, what an exciting adventure.  Welcome home.......You know what can't be missed are the black Lab pieces [fur] that Henri shed as she was having her picture taken.  I'm so used to those hairs everywhere in my life!