Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, Ragoczy said:

I'm preparing for our first cruise since my wife got a service dog. I think I have all the departure paperwork: vaccination records, Bahamas import permit, and an appt for the vet to fill out the Bahamas health cert the day before we leave.

My big remaining question is: do we need anything else for our return to the US?

This is a 3 day cruise to get the dog used to things.

Thanks!

Aphis 7001.....works for all travel; coming and going!

7 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Back from first cruise with Halo.  It went well.  Halo was on his best behavior the whole time.  I can't say he had fun, he seemed so serious, even when we gave him the release command and let people love on him.  He seemed bothered by all the attention, he really isn't used to it.  We normally just move through crowds with no stopping.

Most everyone was just so in love with him.  We had two groups with negative, one scowled and 1 one said if we came on the elevator with her she was getting off.  I didn't say anything and just waited for the next elevator.  If she was nastier, I would have said something, but she was afraid of dogs and that is her right; she was first on the elevator and so to me it wasn't worth any conflict.

Most asked question "where does he go to the bathroom"?  2nd most "is he having fun"?

It does slow down moving from one event to another.  Everyone wants to stop and ask about him.  He fell in love with one girl we met, he got so excited seeing her.  And she only lives 30 minutes from me, so he will be able to see her again.  A couple of offers of dog sitting, of course, we didn't leave him with a stranger.

His favorite day was at the private island.  Rich took him down the beach and let him play in the water.  He was so happy and had a crowd watching him have such a good time.  We only had two drive by pettings.  With that many people I was impressed with the limited drive by's and negatives.

Oh, the relief box was put on the balcony.  It took about an hour to convince them to move it.  After that when we got to the Lido it was packed and finding seating was a nightmare and getting food the lines where long.  That I was disappointed in, if we didn't have to deal with the relief box we would have beat the crowds.  I expected that though from the information provided here.

It was a VERY bumpy cruise, VERY windy.  Halo did not get sick at all, ate and did his business fine.  He was a bit nervous about the rocking at first, but then realized it wasn't bothering us and he was fine after that and the movement/bumpy only got worse.

Our paperwork was never checked.  I would NEVER recommend not having everything in order and all the paperwork, just amazed and them not even looking at it in the ports.

Linda and Halo

Linda, you did so well.  Welcome home!  I think we all have had that person who refuses to get on the elevator with our dogs......you handled yourself so well.  So, when are you cruising again?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.  I hope that our friends in Alaska are safe, I wish them well.

I've taken Horton to the Vet, he's had his immunizations updated, forms filled out and we're ready to cruise, after his visit to the groomer tomorrow.  I've had his paperwork notarized and sent to Hawaii and to Princess Cruises Special Needs Dept. 

My home looks like all we do is pack; suitcases everywhere!  Horton has more paraphernalia than a 2 year old child.  Get me on that ship........Thank goodness it's just a one and a half hour drive.....no airplanes to catch!

This may be our last writing to you until after the 19th, when we return home.

Take care of each other.........:classic_rolleyes:

Have a great cruise Roz and Horton.  We will miss you and can't wait to hear about your cruise.  One of the last cruises we took was the 15 day Hawaii one.  We loved it.  Would like to do it again.  2 1/2 years and Travis will be all graduated from High School.  Then I think we will start making plans for cruising.  Although Travis has no interest in cruising, we would not leave him home alone.   (Don't know whose kid he is, since Keith and I find no other vacation lives up to cruising!) He finished his Eagle project, finally, now the dreaded paperwork maze. ❤️

14 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Linda, you did so well.  Welcome home!  I think we all have had that person who refuses to get on the elevator with our dogs......you handled yourself so well.  So, when are you cruising again?

Don't have any cruises planned right now.  Rich is not a cruiser, so I will probably wait until my daughter turns 21 (1.5 years) and pay for her to come with me as my "helper".  It is nice to have someone to help since I am in a wheelchair.  I am sure I could do it on my own, but know I don't have to.

Linda and Halo

17 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Have a great cruise Roz and Horton.  We will miss you and can't wait to hear about your cruise.  One of the last cruises we took was the 15 day Hawaii one.  We loved it.  Would like to do it again.  2 1/2 years and Travis will be all graduated from High School.  Then I think we will start making plans for cruising.  Although Travis has no interest in cruising, we would not leave him home alone.   (Don't know whose kid he is, since Keith and I find no other vacation lives up to cruising!) He finished his Eagle project, finally, now the dreaded paperwork maze. ❤️

Thank you Nancy.....One day, we'll meet and you can give Horty that hug that you've been promising!

The new Carnival ship will be in the New Years Day Parade [well, not the actual ship], a replica.  Carnival will bring this new ship to Long Beach and it's supposed to be quite a fun ship!  I may have to check it out!

15 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Don't have any cruises planned right now.  Rich is not a cruiser, so I will probably wait until my daughter turns 21 (1.5 years) and pay for her to come with me as my "helper".  It is nice to have someone to help since I am in a wheelchair.  I am sure I could do it on my own, but know I don't have to.

Linda and Halo

You are truly a brave and adventurous lady, I bet you could do it on your own.  Maybe one day we'll get the chance to meet.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:30 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

Even when its not strictly necessary (unless required by the cruise line), most of us go ahead and have our vet fill out an Aphis Form 7001 International Health Certificate. I would rather have too much paperwork than have a problem when trying to return to the US.

Thanks! I got that and we just got back from the cruise. Everything went completely smoothly thanks to the info I got from this thread. I really appreciate everyone's contribution.

2018-11-29 16.16.21.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 4:17 PM, rpclmc said:

I just got back from my cruise.  I totally screwed up that email address, so sorry. 

DEANDRADELANCEY@bahamas.gov.bs

Once you get hold of someone, it goes quickly.  I waited 3 weeks, then started doing my follow ups.  Once I reached her, it took a day.

Linda and Halo

Linda

Thats ok I figured it out. 

Gina

Hi, everybody. We had a lot of house guests for Thanksgiving, plus an overnight visit with my sister in another part of Florida, and things generally have been busier than usual.

Great to read about some recent successful adventures with service dogs. Dianne, thanks so much for posting about your and Henri's trip to Europe! 

We sail on the new Celebrity Edge on January 6. Looks like quite an interesting vessel, with lots of enthusiasm about her debut. So glad that we booked two years in advance because the prices are unreal now. 

I'll be sure to post info about the relief station. The Edge has an innovative feature for some of the balcony staterooms called the "Infinite Veranda."The balcony is actually a part of your stateroom, with French doors if you want to close it off. At the end of your room facing the sea is a large all-glass window that can be lowered half-way when you want the traditional balcony effect and fresh air. Can't wait to check it out!

On 12/2/2018 at 9:17 AM, Ragoczy said:

Thanks! I got that and we just got back from the cruise. Everything went completely smoothly thanks to the info I got from this thread. I really appreciate everyone's contribution.

Glad everything went well - what cruise line were you on?

Dianne

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I'll be sure to post info about the relief station. The Edge has an innovative feature for some of the balcony staterooms called the "Infinite Veranda."The balcony is actually a part of your stateroom, with French doors if you want to close it off. At the end of your room facing the sea is a large all-glass window that can be lowered half-way when you want the traditional balcony effect and fresh air. Can't wait to check it out!

Chris, I will be very interested to hear all about the Edge and where the relief box will be placed. We are booked on a Transatlantic from Rome next fall. All the reviews I have read say the ship is fantastic!

Dianne

4 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Glad everything went well - what cruise line were you on?

Dianne

Carnival Liberty, 3-day to Nassau -- sort of a test run to see how he did. 

Embarking went smoothly, they just made copies of paperwork. Hotel staff offered to put his box on the balcony - we didn't even have to ask. He's trained to go in the shower, if necessary, anyway. Didn't even see any Bahamas officials at all, we were directed straight out into Nassau. Returning, Customs didn't even blink. 

Next cruise is Alaska in September (NCL). Maybe Carnival in May, as I won a poker tournament and have an entry for a tournament on Dream now.

6 hours ago, alexspepa said:

this pic pretty much broke me...

SULLY (his name) also visited the Capitol Rotunda today and will be reassigned to the Walter Reed hospital. It was a tear jerker on TV, and will continue to be forever. What a great dog.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:17 PM, Host Walt said:

SULLY (his name) also visited the Capitol Rotunda today and will be reassigned to the Walter Reed hospital. It was a tear jerker on TV, and will continue to be forever. What a great dog.

He’s definitely wonderful example and ambassador for all service dogs.

For those who like Holland America Line (count me in that group), there’s a photo already posted of the service dog relief station of the newest ship, currently on her inaugural transatlantic cruise, the Nieuw Statendam.  Location is port side, bow end. He said four dogs are on board.

I’ll try to add a link to the photo, which is found in a thread on the Holland America Line forum, “Btimmer’s blog...”

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2611402-btimmers-blog-of-the-nieuw-statendam-inaugural-voyage/

Btimmer image.jpeg

Edited by Caribbean Chris

On 12/3/2018 at 1:37 PM, Ragoczy said:

Carnival Liberty, 3-day to Nassau -- sort of a test run to see how he did. 

Embarking went smoothly, they just made copies of paperwork. Hotel staff offered to put his box on the balcony - we didn't even have to ask. He's trained to go in the shower, if necessary, anyway. Didn't even see any Bahamas officials at all, we were directed straight out into Nassau. Returning, Customs didn't even blink. 

Next cruise is Alaska in September (NCL). Maybe Carnival in May, as I won a poker tournament and have an entry for a tournament on Dream now.

When was your Liberty cruise?  We just got off the Liberty with Halo on November 29th.

I had to ask for the relief box on the balcony, took about an hour for guest services to get the approval.  I did mention on my survey that there is no reason for it not to be there, it is actually safer for everyone.  Hopefully, it will become standard.

The crew was amazing.  This was my 10th Carnival cruise and the crew was the best.

Linda and Halo

4 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

When was your Liberty cruise?  We just got off the Liberty with Halo on November 29th.

I had to ask for the relief box on the balcony, took about an hour for guest services to get the approval.  I did mention on my survey that there is no reason for it not to be there, it is actually safer for everyone.  Hopefully, it will become standard.

The crew was amazing.  This was my 10th Carnival cruise and the crew was the best.

Linda and Halo

We got on the 29th. 🙂 Probably have you to thank for them offering to put it on the balcony without having to ask. Thanks!

GREAT!   I am going with a group that has five service dogs and Special Access told us we could NOT have the relief box on the balcony.  It would make it soooo much easier than running down to deck 3.  We ALL got balconies for that reason and then we were told no.  But now there's hope!  Thank you, thank you thank you!

We DID get an officer assigned to us, so that may help too.  (my business development manager got that for me as I'm a TA taking out a group cruise with service dogs)

Now if they would have let us have sod or mulch....  Oh well bought some astroturf.

We cruise TOMORROW~

Holly

My mother and I are cruising with Peach next week on the Carnival Breeze. Does anyone have any experience with them? 

We are traveling to Dominican Republic, and we have the international health certificate along with the 7001 form. We also go to St Thomas, and Puerto Rico. Anything at all I should be prepared for in any of those places?