Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

11 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I haven't been on for a while.  "Stuff" keeps happening.

We cancelled our Europe trip.  Was first cancelled because of my husband's work.  We own a commercial construction company and one job (government job in Wyoming) that was supposed to be done by 2018, then was supposed to happen in January, then in February, now in March, is a moving target.

We still went to Illinois to help my dad out with my mom, who broke her leg on Christmas.  She is home from the nursing home, but is supposed to be completely non weight bearing on the broken leg.  It was very stressful, she makes mean comments to my dad when he is helping and puts weight on the leg.  The are both in their 80's.  I don't believe he will be able to keep helping her if the recovery is extended over the the 2 weeks the doctors said if she doesn't bear weight she will be good.

I also saw my brother that is losing his battle with cancer.  I was only able to see him for an hour, due to his treatments and being in bed.  I just feel in my heart that might be the last time I see him.

Then we had a nephew in Idaho die of suicide.  So now we are in Idaho to attend his celebration of life.  Boy am I looking forward to going back to warm Florida and not deal with family.

I ended up in the ER in Illinois with a possible blood clot.  They said no evidence of one.  Since the leg has not let up pain, I have an appointment in Idaho while I am here.  Hopefully it is nothing, but I can't seem to find a decent general practitioner in Florida close to me, so I figured I would see what I could do here.

But, I am in good spirits and Halo is doing great.  We have a friend coming by with his buddy, Bear, tonight, so the boys can play.  I know I miss Bear.  I used to day sit him 4 days a week from when he and Halo where both 6 months.  Then see my daughter this weekend, she and her boyfriend will come back from college for the weekend.  And visit my good friend Monday next week.  So life really is good.

My husband and I are considering going to Puerto Rico for a long weekend.  I have the Southwest companion pass, he flies free with me.  It is only $250.00 roundtrip with a direct flight from Tampa.  Mid range hotels are about $100 a night.  Could be a nice get away.  Heck we would spend more just staying in Tampa for a few days.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have been investigating my next cruise.  My husband really wants to do a Royal Caribbean lines cruise.  I have done mostly Carnival.  Hard to give up that status.  I am also looking at Carnival's newest ship, Mardi Gras, for 2020.

Linda and Halo

Linda, I hope you Mom is healing; sorry to hear about your nephew; I hope that you and your husband get a chance to get away and just relax in some warm sunshine, no matter where that may be!

Well the day has come.........I had a very full afternoon; filled with going to Best Buy to repair my computer, followed by a visit to the Post Office; grocery shopping and then it happened.........Horton absolutely refused to enter my car.  I drive an Expedition, it's very tall and means that he has to take a good leap to get up into the back seat.  He had jumped into the SUV at least 4 times, he had walked around the market for an hour and, he was tired.....Now, I wanted him to jump up and into the back seat again.......He refused.  I tried bribing him with kibble that I keep in a plastic bag in my purse, he could care less.  I'd give the command and he would just dig his paws further and further into the asphalt of the parking lot.  I keep a ramp in the back luggage area, I drug it out thinking maybe his hips were bother him......No way, he wasn't getting on it......The shopping cart was filled with grocery bags [I had not put anything away, yet.]  He was not getting into the car, I could feel the tears welling-up inside my eyes......He was DONE and I was DONER! 

Then it hit me......what does Horton love more than food......CHILDREN!  So, I saw a family of four children walking towards me [mind you, this was after 1/2 hour of pure frustration.]  I approached them, I told the mother that my Service Dog was having a "mood" and would one of her kids help.  I opened the passenger side back door, walked around and opened the other side back door, with Horton in tow.  I asked the young man to stand in the door way and call Horton to him.......WAH-LAH!  This stubborn, headstrong, tired, beautiful dog jumped into the back seat, tail wagging and joy in his eyes.  He went to the young man with a new light step. 

What do you think?  What would you have done?  Remember, Horton weighs over 80lbs, I have a bad back and there's no way I could lift him [I kept trying to think how can I pick him up?  I tried to pick up his front legs but I soon had to let them go as my back started to spasm.]

I emptied the cart, got into the drivers seat and thankfully went home......but not before I thanked the wonderful young man who got Horty to go into the car.

While driving home I realized that I need to work on Horton getting into my car, even when he really doesn't want to!  Any suggestions......I'm open for any of your good ideas, short of adopting another child!

Hi Tami, and welcome! Splash looks like a very good boy. I knew Roz would have the scoop for you about Princess. Roz has helped us all have the confidence to cruise with our dogs!

The only other advice I’d give you is to put in a request in advance with the access department for dining room seating at a table located against a wall so Splash can snooze at your side by the wall without getting his tail stepped on. I ask for a corner table, which is ideal. Then once on board, go see the dining room manager and check the location. They can move it if necessary. 

Your dog may already respond to commands like “do your business.” I had good results in rewarding Raylene with treats and praise ahead of our early trips so she knew exactly what was expected when we reached the mulch box and I gave the command. But don’t be surprised if the dog decides to “hold it” at first. Eventually he’ll know he’s got to use the box.

What’s your itinerary? We can give you some input on the health certificates you may need.

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Well the day has come.........I had a very full afternoon; filled with going to Best Buy to repair my computer, followed by a visit to the Post Office; grocery shopping and then it happened.........Horton absolutely refused to enter my car. ...

What do you think?  What would you have done?  Remember, Horton weighs over 80lbs, I have a bad back and there's no way I could lift him [I kept trying to think how can I pick him up?  I tried to pick up his front legs but I soon had to let them go as my back started to spasm.]...

While driving home I realized that I need to work on Horton getting into my car, even when he really doesn't want to!  Any suggestions......I'm open for any of your good ideas, short of adopting another child!

Oh dear, I don’t know what I would have done. I can’t lift Raylene either at 70 lbs. Maybe put the groceries in with A/C running so they didn’t melt. Then lock the car and look for a place to let her rest for a few minutes if there was any bench or cafe nearby. Give her some water, another treat and happy talk, a pee opportunity to “re-boot” her mood. Then I’d just hope for the best.

Ray doesn’t much like my new Rav-4, since the old Nissan sedan was closer to the ground. I move the passenger seat all the way forward and then point to theback seat floor so she realizes she doesn’t have to make the leap up to the seat like she used to.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

For my friends with black Labs: I was exchanging emails with one of the trainers at Dogs for Better Lives yesterday, and sent a photo and comment about Raylene’s white muzzle.

Emily said she’s heard that referred to as “sugar-face.” Loved it!

Edited by Caribbean Chris
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

What do you think?  What would you have done?  Remember, Horton weighs over 80lbs, I have a bad back and there's no way I could lift him [I kept trying to think how can I pick him up?  I tried to pick up his front legs but I soon had to let them go as my back started to spasm.

1279248961_marlabella.thumb.jpg.870d5fc613b2f061168c4e4dc4cdd386.jpg

The big one, Marla, refuses to get in the car.  Last time she went to the Vet the Vet had to come out & help my husband lift her in the car.  She's over 100pds

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Oh dear, I don’t know what I would have done. I can’t lift Raylene either at 70 lbs. Maybe put the groceries in with A/C running so they didn’t melt. Then lock the car and look for a place to let her rest for a few minutes if there was any bench or cafe nearby. Give her some water, another treat and happy talk, a pee opportunity to “re-boot” her mood. Then I’d just hope for the best.

Ray doesn’t much like my new Rav-4, since the old Nissan sedan was closer to the ground. I move the passenger seat all the way forward and then point to theback seat floor so she realizes she doesn’t have to make the leap up to the seat like she used to.

Re getting big old dogs into SVU: my lab would not climb a ramp. My husband made this for her when she got older: He got an under-bed plastic storage drawer from Walmart. (It had wheels on it which he removed) it is about 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and maybe 9 inches tall. He put solid, rigid  Styrofoam inside the drawer so it would not break or collapse, and would hold the weight of the dog. He covered the top with a thin rug for traction. It might weigh all of 5 pounds so I can keep it in the trunk. We put it at the back door of the suv, and the dog gets on that, then onto the floor of the back seat. That way neither step is more than maybe 12 inches. We also use it when the dog gets out of the car to spare the wear and tear on the shoulders and front legs. 

4 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Tami, Princess is wonderful, once they get the potty box placement down pat.  They like to place it on a forward or aft deck, usually outside.  Sometimes they will use a forward stairwell.  Just make sure that when you board you go directly to the Passenger Services Desk to find out where they've placed the box.

If the box is not sufficient for you [i.e. placed in an area that creates a problem for you in opening doors or if it's too small, let them know].  They want you to be happy and they will try to please you.

I love Princess's product and tend to cruise them more than other lines.  I like the box close to my cabin and will insist that it's moved to a stairwell near me [I'd prefer my veranda but they just won't do it].

Get your dog used to going in a potty box [fill it with mulch].  I cover whatever they use with the artificial stuff that I buy at Lowes.  It folds nicely and my dog loves it.

Your dog is very handsome!

Thank you ! You are so very helpful!

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Hi Tami, and welcome! Splash looks like a very good boy. I knew Roz would have the scoop for you about Princess. Roz has helped us all have the confidence to cruise with our dogs!

The only other advice I’d give you is to put in a request in advance with the access department for dining room seating at a table located against a wall so Splash can snooze at your side by the wall without getting his tail stepped on. I ask for a corner table, which is ideal. Then once on board, go see the dining room manager and check the location. They can move it if necessary. 

Your dog may already respond to commands like “do your business.” I had good results in rewarding Raylene with treats and praise ahead of our early trips so she knew exactly what was expected when we reached the mulch box and I gave the command. But don’t be surprised if the dog decides to “hold it” at first. Eventually he’ll know he’s got to use the box.

What’s your itinerary? We can give you some input on the health certificates you may need.

Thank you!  He is trained to go on the word "busy" 🙂 so that will be helpful I'm sure. Once the weather warms up a bit (-6 this morning) I plan on working on the mulch box. My next worry is planning the flight across the country!

1 hour ago, tld723 said:

My next worry is planning the flight across the country!

Has Splash ever flown before?

My first service dog made 6 trips to England - Seattle to London - and current has gone once.  My first dog hadn’t flown before so I did a short flight - Vancouver, BC to Portland, OR - prior to the first trip.

Both dog’s were/are troopers!  It’s a long flight - 9 hours.  Because I’m a wheelchair user I board first and get off last, so add probably 30/44+ minutes to our time on a plane.  Then add the three hours before our international flight that we have to be at the airport...  Yikes!!!

Still, the boys seemed to arrive in much better condition than I did!  😜

Granny is still in England - 98 this summer!!!  We opted to give our trip over this year a miss.  Instead, we’re doing an Alaska cruise - Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth, ten nights, round trip Vancouver, BC.  After his trial-by-fire England trip - made 5 weeks after team training!!! - I’m sure Nico will do fine!

I’m sure you’ll both do great!  Have fun and keep us posted.

20 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Well the day has come.........I had a very full afternoon; filled with going to Best Buy to repair my computer, followed by a visit to the Post Office; grocery shopping and then it happened.........Horton absolutely refused to enter my car.  I drive an Expedition, it's very tall and means that he has to take a good leap to get up into the back seat.  He had jumped into the SUV at least 4 times, he had walked around the market for an hour and, he was tired.....Now, I wanted him to jump up and into the back seat again.......He refused.  I tried bribing him with kibble that I keep in a plastic bag in my purse, he could care less.  I'd give the command and he would just dig his paws further and further into the asphalt of the parking lot.  I keep a ramp in the back luggage area, I drug it out thinking maybe his hips were bother him......No way, he wasn't getting on it......The shopping cart was filled with grocery bags [I had not put anything away, yet.]  He was not getting into the car, I could feel the tears welling-up inside my eyes......He was DONE and I was DONER! 

Then it hit me......what does Horton love more than food......CHILDREN!  So, I saw a family of four children walking towards me [mind you, this was after 1/2 hour of pure frustration.]  I approached them, I told the mother that my Service Dog was having a "mood" and would one of her kids help.  I opened the passenger side back door, walked around and opened the other side back door, with Horton in tow.  I asked the young man to stand in the door way and call Horton to him.......WAH-LAH!  This stubborn, headstrong, tired, beautiful dog jumped into the back seat, tail wagging and joy in his eyes.  He went to the young man with a new light step. 

What do you think?  What would you have done?  Remember, Horton weighs over 80lbs, I have a bad back and there's no way I could lift him [I kept trying to think how can I pick him up?  I tried to pick up his front legs but I soon had to let them go as my back started to spasm.]

I emptied the cart, got into the drivers seat and thankfully went home......but not before I thanked the wonderful young man who got Horty to go into the car.

Oh no Roz.  The up turned plastic box sounds like a pawsibility.  I remember, clearly,  the first time Reno climbed up into our Motorhome.  He would not get out of it.  Thankfully he was on the inside, not on the outside, not getting in.  Keith finally went and got a 2" x 10" x 8 or 10' board.  We put it up on the stairs into the motorhome, but it was still too steep for Reno.  I finally got my little Rubbermaid, 2 step stool and put it under the other end, almost making it level coming out.  He trotted down that board like he owned it.  We ended up getting a ramp, but still had to put the 2 step up under the other end.  See there, I just talked us into another pawsible solution.  Maybe try it.  My 2 step hardly weighs anything and should fit in the back of the Expedition.  You already have the ramp.  Worth a try.  Good luck.  Hugs and snuggles to our sweet Horty and Mom, of course.  Please don't adopt another child!  LOL.  I also know the scenario with trying to lift the front legs in and then the rear.  Reno didn't mind me lifting his front legs, but as soon as I got to the rear to lift, he wasn't having any of that.  ❤️ 

Sorry I havent been around this past year. Alot going on and none of it good.  

I'm here to announce our sweet boy passed away today. Of course we are devastated. But will make it through it again. All of you have always been a great support to me through the years. ❤️ Today my heart is broken 💔🐾

IMG_20181218_114128.jpg

Edited by rangeley

On 1/31/2019 at 11:37 AM, Miki_moto said:

My first service dog made 6 trips to England - Seattle to London - and current has gone once.  My first dog hadn’t flown before so I did a short flight - Vancouver, BC to Portland, OR - prior to the first trip.

Both dog’s were/are troopers!  It’s a long flight - 9 hours.  Because I’m a wheelchair user I board first and get off last, so add probably 30/44+ minutes to our time on a plane.  Then add the three hours before our international flight that we have to be at the airport...  Yikes!!!

Granny is still in England - 98 this summer!!!  We opted to give our trip over this year a miss.  Instead, we’re doing an Alaska cruise - Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth, ten nights, round trip Vancouver, BC.  After his trial-by-fire England trip - made 5 weeks after team training!!! - I’m sure Nico will do fine!

I'm not sure if he has flown before, I will try to contact his weekend puppy raiser( he was trained in a prison) I did speak to one of his trainers and she gave me some tips and said he would do fine!

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

I'm here to announce our sweet boy passed away today. Of course we are devastated. But will make it through it again. All of you have always been a great support to me through the years. ❤️ Today my heart is broken 💔🐾

Oh Cindy, I am so so sorry. You and John must be devastated - my heart goes out to you. RIP Wex, you were the best.

Dianne & Henri

4 hours ago, rangeley said:

IMG_20181218_114128.jpg

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

IMG_20181218_114128.jpg

Dear Cindy & John,

Thank you so much for sharing Wexy with all of us.  The stories that you shared about Rangely when we first met on this thread, years ago, were always so filled with love and fun.  We were with you when you lost him, we all said good bye.   And then you applied to CCI; we waited with you until you went to Team Training and we waited to hear about your new Wonder Dog, "Wexler!"

Wexy was a wonderful boy....he did his job with grace and class.  He got to cruise the world with you and he loved his life.  We ALL loved him.  And, now, we're saying Good Bye to him.  He had a wonderful life with you and John.

I send you my love, I know the pain that you are feeling and I'm so sorry.  💔 

17 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Oh no Roz.  The up turned plastic box sounds like a pawsibility.  I remember, clearly,  the first time Reno climbed up into our Motorhome.  He would not get out of it.  Thankfully he was on the inside, not on the outside, not getting in.  Keith finally went and got a 2" x 10" x 8 or 10' board.  We put it up on the stairs into the motorhome, but it was still too steep for Reno.  I finally got my little Rubbermaid, 2 step stool and put it under the other end, almost making it level coming out.  He trotted down that board like he owned it.  We ended up getting a ramp, but still had to put the 2 step up under the other end.  See there, I just talked us into another pawsible solution.  Maybe try it.  My 2 step hardly weighs anything and should fit in the back of the Expedition.  You already have the ramp.  Worth a try.  Good luck.  Hugs and snuggles to our sweet Horty and Mom, of course.  Please don't adopt another child!  LOL.  I also know the scenario with trying to lift the front legs in and then the rear.  Reno didn't mind me lifting his front legs, but as soon as I got to the rear to lift, he wasn't having any of that.  ❤️ 

Nancy, thank you for your great idea.  I'm willing to try anything!  

I'll let you know how it all works out.  

Today I used cheese [for coaxing and the ramp, that stays in the back of my SUV.]  He needed a lot of prompting but finally climbed the ramp and laid on the back seat.  I only did it once.  I'll give him a chance to rest and will try it again tomorrow!  Fingers crossed.....It's important to me to "go" when I want to go.  Horton seems to be in good health, it's just a "refusal" issue.  We'll see!

On 1/31/2019 at 8:37 AM, Miki_moto said:

Wow!  A cruise for Nico, will be easy-peasy!  

You are a perfect example of "traveling courage!"  It takes a lot of physical and mental stability to travel in a wheelchair, add a dog to the mix and it truly complicates things. 

YOU are my new hero! 👍

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:14 AM, tld723 said:

Thank you!  He is trained to go on the word "busy" 🙂 so that will be helpful I'm sure. Once the weather warms up a bit (-6 this morning) I plan on working on the mulch box. My next worry is planning the flight across the country!

Horton is a big boy [over 80 lbs.] and uses a 3x5 potty box on my patio, every day.  It's filled with wood shavings and is covered by artificial turf [this piece of turf has holes in it for drainage.  I bought it on Amazon.]  He doesn't hesitate to go out and use it on a daily basis. 

The box on a cruise ship means nothing to Horton [except if it's filled with something that hurts the pad of his feet to step on it.]  It's the reason that I bring the artificial stuff [this is just a simple sheet that is bought at Lowe's, by the foot, it rolls or folds up easily for travel - just remember to cut the holes in it for drainage] to protect his pads and make it easier for him to adjust to using the box. 

Amazing how these dogs get used to anything and do it with ease.  Now, if I could just get him to go in and out of my car easier!

On 1/31/2019 at 3:50 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

The Dining Room pre-seating is so important.......thank you for mentioning it.  Once Horton is settled next to the wall in back of or beside me the whole eating experience is so much more pleasant.  Sometimes your waiter will forget not to serve over your dog or even try to step over him and all I have to do is gently remind them and we're good. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:07 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

I tried moving the front seat forward giving him more floor space to jump up to but he still wasn't having anything to do with it.  The new Expeditions are bit higher up than my older one [as my daughter pointed out to me!]  I'm not changing my car.......I will get him used to the ramp or the new stool that is coming next week and my traveling days are in front of me!   I hope, I hope!

It seems I opened another account.......Rozmorey1.........I had my computer worked on by the Geek Squad and I went in to Cruise Critic through another source and had to open another account. 

Moderators:  If you would be so kind to close Rozmorey1 and combine it with Wizard-of-Roz or do whatever you need to.  I will return to the old way of going into the Cruise Critic Message Boards.  I used to drive the IT Department at my job crazy.....

Thank you!

Roz