Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

7 hours ago, thephantomsgirl said:

GREAT!   I am going with a group that has five service dogs and Special Access told us we could NOT have the relief box on the balcony.  It would make it soooo much easier than running down to deck 3.  We ALL got balconies for that reason and then we were told no.  But now there's hope!  Thank you, thank you thank you!

We DID get an officer assigned to us, so that may help too.  (my business development manager got that for me as I'm a TA taking out a group cruise with service dogs)

Now if they would have let us have sod or mulch....  Oh well bought some astroturf.

We cruise TOMORROW~

Holly

That may not work with multiple dogs.  Do they provide a separate box for each dog?

Are the balconies next to each other?  If they are, maybe they could put the box on one of the balconies and open the dividers.

10 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

That may not work with multiple dogs.  Do they provide a separate box for each dog?

Are the balconies next to each other?  If they are, maybe they could put the box on one of the balconies and open the dividers.

They are providing boxes for each dog.     😀

Holly

45 minutes ago, bobbijooneal said:

Has anyone traveled to Cuba with their Service Dog?  We are going on a cruise in August.  Just wondering what everyone's experience was.  Has anyone taken their dog there?  Thanks

I have! It was very easy. We had the 7001 form, and the officials looked over Peach before giving us the go ahead. Make sure you keep your paperwork with you at all times because they will ask for it again when you go through the checkpoint. 

2 hours ago, DisneyKidsDad said:

Am I the only one that wants the "first unread" button back? 

If you are on a computer, click the star or dot in front of the topic thread and it will take you to first unread post. I can't see a star or dot on my iPhone and so I haven't figured that out yet.

Dianne

17 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

If you are on a computer, click the star or dot in front of the topic thread and it will take you to first unread post. I can't see a star or dot on my iPhone and so I haven't figured that out yet.

Dianne

I'm on my computer, went back to Main menu, topic threads and there is no blue dot or star in front of this thread.  The rest of them have it.  It may be because I had already gone into this post and scrolled to the first unread thread.  Weird. 

Hi,

We are cruising on the MSC Divina next month with my service dog and I just got this email from their special needs dept. 
•  Medical certificate stating that the passenger requires a service dog
•  Training certificate stating that the dog is trained as a service dog
•  Veterinarian health certificate showing the dog is medically certified to be free from any transmissible disease
•  Dog’s vaccination certificate
•  Dog’s sanitary international passport

Are all these certificates normally asked for?  She helps me as a migrain alert dog and I can go on cruises because of her.

Any advice would be appreciated.  She has vaccination papers and proof of chip but why the other stuff?  We have cruised with her before and we never get off the ship. 

Thanks,

JMS

13 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

First, we need to know where you are boarding this ship. The answers you receive would begin with this.

She is licensed in Florida.  We will be embarking at port of Miami and returning to the same port.  We have cruised 30 times before and have been to all the islands at some time so now we just want to cruise and enjoy the ship.  We do not want to take the dog off the ship. Hope this helps.

JMS

If the ship is going to the Bahamas you will need a pet import permit and Bahamas health certificate even if you do not get off the ship. Entering Bahamian waters triggers the need for the permit. You should also have a rabies certificate and a USDA APHIS Form 7001 international health certificate for the ship. But check at APHIS for the requirements for the other countries, even if you are not getting off the ship. Requirements change frequently.

40 minutes ago, HenryKisor said:

If the ship is going to the Bahamas you will need a pet import permit and Bahamas health certificate even if you do not get off the ship. Entering Bahamian waters triggers the need for the permit. You should also have a rabies certificate and a USDA APHIS Form 7001 international health certificate for the ship. But check at APHIS for the requirements for the other countries, even if you are not getting off the ship. Requirements change frequently.

ok...I guess I will go ahead and get the Form 7001 for her and anything else for each country we stop at.  Don't know about a passport but everything else I have.  Thanks for the help. 

JMS

On 7/6/2007 at 4:55 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

We travel with a service dog..she is going to be on her 6th cruise in September and 7th in November.....We've learned a lot and have some suggestions for you....

• Don't be hesitant to do it.....it's wonderful! And truly has made our cruising so much more fun!!!!!! 😛
  • We've cruised on Celebrity/NCL/Princess/Carnival and HAL.
  • The Best (most accomodating-all around) - HAL
  • The Best set-up (potty-box) - NCL/Princess
  • The Best crew for dog friendliness HAL/Princess
  • Passenger friendliness...every ship we've ever been on. We only 1 passenger in all of our cruises who absolutely refused to eat in the Buffet area, with a dog!

If you have any questions about the ship requirements/easy way to deal with "special needs" departments/cabins/dining area/potty box/food/exercise/hotel/excursions/airplanes, etc. Ask away......

I don't want to bore you with all the details...so, I'll let you lead the way! 😉

I would be very grateful to communicate with you privately regarding traveling with service animals. My address is Judy Shaw 6 at Hotmail dot com.    There are actually no spaces in the email address. 

Edited by JudyShaw5

On 12/14/2018 at 9:47 AM, swarms said:

She is licensed in Florida.  We will be embarking at port of Miami and returning to the same port.  We have cruised 30 times before and have been to all the islands at some time so now we just want to cruise and enjoy the ship.  We do not want to take the dog off the ship. Hope this helps.

JMS

Service dogs do not have to pay for permit for Bahamas contact the 

Dr. Deandra S. Delancey-Milfort BSc. DVM
Veterinary Officer
Veterinary Services Unit
Department of Agriculture

Phone: 1-242-397-7450/1

On 12/13/2018 at 6:09 PM, swarms said:

Hi,

We are cruising on the MSC Divina next month with my service dog and I just got this email from their special needs dept. 
•  Medical certificate stating that the passenger requires a service dog
•  Training certificate stating that the dog is trained as a service dog
•  Veterinarian health certificate showing the dog is medically certified to be free from any transmissible disease
•  Dog’s vaccination certificate
•  Dog’s sanitary international passport

Are all these certificates normally asked for?  She helps me as a migrain alert dog and I can go on cruises because of her.

Any advice would be appreciated.  She has vaccination papers and proof of chip but why the other stuff?  We have cruised with her before and we never get off the ship. 

Thanks,

JMS

MSC is an European Line, and the EU issues pet passports.  I’m guessing that the person in special needs is used to EU citizens having them.  

On 12/15/2018 at 4:38 PM, Algebralovr said:

MSC is an European Line, and the EU issues pet passports.  I’m guessing that the person in special needs is used to EU citizens having them.  

That was my thought, too, when I read that list.

As far as a medical certificate stating that a passenger requires a service dog, that might be a European line’s custom, but there is no such “Certificate” existing in the United States, nor required under the ADA as a condition of public access. I always provide cruise lines with my dog’s ID issued by her training organization, which has both of our photos, so that would have to suffice if I cruised MSC.

Quite a discussion on the Royal Caribbean thread about people gaming the system so that they can bring Fluffy the Lap Dog on board.  I hope some of you that depend on real service dogs can chime in and provide some good information.  People who abuse the system make it more difficult for folks with real needs.

I hope

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Quite a discussion on the Royal Caribbean thread about people gaming the system so that they can bring Fluffy the Lap Dog on board.  I hope some of you that depend on real service dogs can chime in and provide some good information.  People who abuse the system make it more difficult for folks with real needs.

I hope

What makes it even harder is people who think they are entitled to say if my dog is a service dog or not

• Like 1