Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

21 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Hope everyone had good holidays.  I have been offline for a few weeks. 

My daughter and her boyfriend came for 10 days over Christmas.  We went to some of the Disney World parks.  First time for Halo.  He was awesome.  The weather was perfect.  

Then my computer crashed, luckily I had just backed up EVERYTHING two days before.  So, I was down for about a week.  With owning our own business and it coming up on tax season, I have been very busy playing catch up and getting things ready for tax season.

Also getting ready for our 17 day trip to Europe at the end of February.  And doing a quick trip to Illinois between now and then.  Mom is in the nursing home with a broken leg and I have a brother losing his battle with cancer.  I just feel I need to see them before the big trip to Europe.

Linda and Halo

Linda, you certainly are facing many challenges.  I wish you the grace and strength that it takes to remain positive and happy through it all.

I'm not a Facebook person but someone from CCI told me to go to the CCI site and read the posts from a young woman who just completed a cruise from San Diego through the Panama Canal onboard the Disney Wonder.

I was absolutely enchanted by this lovely girl, her family and their adventures while cruising with her Service Dog.

Disney treated her, her family and her dog remarkably well.  Not only did they set-up a potty box on her balcony, filled with sod, but also one on her Grandmother's balcony, who would be dog sitting for her dog when she got off at various ports. 

Certainly Disney can teach Princess a lot about how to treat someone with a Service Dog.  They made her and her families experience a truly positive one, from start to finish.

I still have not taken a Disney cruise with my Service Dogs, and, as you well know.....I've cruised a lot.......but, am definitely going to look for one out of a port within driving distance.   

Kudo's to Disney for making our traveling lives so much easier!  I want to give my money to a cruise line that values my business by treating me and my dog with well deserved respect.  Thank you Disney Cruiselines.

20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Wow Disney sound like they have it sorted for service dogs, unfortunately they don’t sail down here.

Disney doesn't always cruise out of L.A. either.  I may have to drive down to San Diego [about 3 hours] in order to board one of their ships.  Certainly something to look forward to.

I want to wish everyone a warm and dry weekend.  We are going to have some wet weather here in L.A.  The upcoming storms are supposed to last for a week.  A lot of folks in Malibu and the other burn areas have to prepare themselves for the possibility of flood damage.  I hope everyone comes out unscathed.

Strangely enough Horton is not really fond of wet weather.....he acts like a big "sissy", who hates getting his feet wet.  It's actually funny to watch him shake himself to get the wetness off!!!!   And, the way he lifts his paws, as if to say, "help, get this stuff off of me!"  Such a goofy boy!  He's not crazy about the pool or the ocean.  Unlike our Brenda who would run to the edge of the Promenade Deck and look like she wanted to jump overboard to get into the ocean.  She used to scare me so much when we started cruising with her.  I'm quite sure if she had the opportunity, she would have taken a full-blown leap into the ocean around us.  And, walking past the pool area was not easy.  I had to take a really good hold of her leash as she wanted to waft her nose in the air at the very edge of the pool.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Funny our "big" boys do/did not like water.  I don't know if I ever mentioned that Reno refused to get in our pool, beyond the top step.  That was good enough wet for him.  And everyone has the impression that all Labs are water furkids.  Not so in our 2 cases.  Plus Reno did not like other dogs.  Humans, look out he was your best friend and he was going to show you how much he loved you, but don't try and introduce him to "fluffy" because he wasn't having it.  ❤️ our boys. 

We have snow and ice here in mid-Missouri.  Not too much at my house, but lots just a few miles north or east.  

I’m still off my feet from ankle surgery, so hubby has been taking good care of me.  He and Scooter have had plenty of great walks, including playing in the snow.  Wish I could join them!

We will have to do some remediation training once I’m back up.  Scooter started pulling again, and I’ve not been able to keep up with training while laid up.  Since it isn’t safe for me to take him out, and he was getting bored and kind of depressed hanging out here, hubby started  taking him to day camp the last little bit.  He seems to love it - squeaking when he gets close and sees where he is going.  They love him, he gets along well with all the dogs and people and does what they tell him to do.  

I’m off my feet for at least 2 more weeks.  I can’t wait until I can walk.  

Next cruise is Feb 5.  We are leaving Scooter here and I’ll be finishing my recovery.  Plus hubby gets a break from all the cooking, cleaning and household chores.  Can’t wait !

Halo only likes the ocean or lakes, but not baths, sprinklers or swimming pools.

Due to work, we are cancelling our Europe trip.  We own our own business, commercial construction.  One job that was supposed to be done in December, looks to have a start date in mid February, one job that was to start in March is now starting in mid February.  We try so hard to make sure no jobs overlap, construction is so unpredictable and even more so when it is government jobs.

We aren't terribly disappointed.  With the government shut down, Paris riots and demonstrations, the cold and just overall feeling uneasy about the trip, it was a meant to be situation.  Yes, I did get travel insurance to cover my medical, in case, and business interference.  Now I just have to work on the claim.

Linda and Halo

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, S.S. Cruisers said:

Funny our "big" boys do/did not like water.  I don't know if I ever mentioned that Reno refused to get in our pool, beyond the top step.  That was good enough wet for him.  And everyone has the impression that all Labs are water furkids.  Not so in our 2 cases.  Plus Reno did not like other dogs.  Humans, look out he was your best friend and he was going to show you how much he loved you, but don't try and introduce him to "fluffy" because he wasn't having it.  ❤️ our boys. 

Yep!  They all have their very own personalities, likes and dislikes.  They are such characters; makes our lives so much more interesting though.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, Algebralovr said:

We have snow and ice here in mid-Missouri.  Not too much at my house, but lots just a few miles north or east.  

I’m still off my feet from ankle surgery, so hubby has been taking good care of me.  He and Scooter have had plenty of great walks, including playing in the snow.  Wish I could join them!

We will have to do some remediation training once I’m back up.  Scooter started pulling again, and I’ve not been able to keep up with training while laid up.  Since it isn’t safe for me to take him out, and he was getting bored and kind of depressed hanging out here, hubby started  taking him to day camp the last little bit.  He seems to love it - squeaking when he gets close and sees where he is going.  They love him, he gets along well with all the dogs and people and does what they tell him to do.  

I’m off my feet for at least 2 more weeks.  I can’t wait until I can walk.  

Next cruise is Feb 5.  We are leaving Scooter here and I’ll be finishing my recovery.  Plus hubby gets a break from all the cooking, cleaning and household chores.  Can’t wait !

Barb, I'm sending lots of healing good wishes your way.  Your DH sounds like a wonderful guy.  He'll be so glad to have the cruising down time.  I hope that you'll be able to enjoy yourself [nothing like recuperating onboard a cruise ship!]  You'll get lots of walking practice time.  If I miss wishing you a Bon~Voyage before your cruise, I'm sending you an early one!

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Barb, I'm sending lots of healing good wishes your way.  Your DH sounds like a wonderful guy.  He'll be so glad to have the cruising down time.  I hope that you'll be able to enjoy yourself [nothing like recuperating onboard a cruise ship!]  You'll get lots of walking practice time.  If I miss wishing you a Bon~Voyage before your cruise, I'm sending you an early one!

Thanks, Roz!  

At this point, I’ve not planned any excursions.  I’m going to focus on recuperating the rest of the way.  We don’t have an accessible room, but I should be able to put weight on the leg by then, so we will manage.  I’ll probably even use the gym in my recuperation!

Hi, everybody. We returned from our cruise on the new Celebrity Edge about ten days ago, and I've been meaning to give you a  report on arrangements for service dogs.

The box location is still deck 5, all the way forward, starboard side, but it is a little nicer - no Solstice class-style long. grimy "wind tunnel," and no "crew only" rope to climb over/remove to gain access.

Now it is behind a pair of attractive royal blue louvered doors with a small "crew only" sign - it is not very heavy but must be opened manually, and it was often quite windy there. The box is just inside the door with a foot-operated trash can (not enough space by the box for a wheelchair). The filler was garden mulch. The filler was low and the trash can was full on embarkation day, so I requested that someone adjust and they did very quickly.

Along the stretch of deck closest to the box were paired glass doors.  As you approach from inside the ship, some closest to the box are non-automatic latching glass doors, with a red bar you must push to open one side manually. The second set that opens to the deck IS automatic but first you or your dog have to push a lighted "button" in the center and then the doors slide open. Further aft from the box, there is one set without the latching doors (but I believe you still have a wall panel and the button to push so the pair of automatic doors will open). That door would work best for someone using a wheelchair or Rollator, but you'll still have to cope with the blue louvered doors.

For those who plan to request that the box be moved to their veranda, be very careful what you book. The new "Infinite Verandas" on Edge are smaller than a traditional balcony. Much has been written in reviews how you have to move the furniture to use it, there's no footrest, only a tiny round table, etc., but the bottom line is it would not be feasible to place a box in this small space. I think options for a box on your veranda possibly would be to book early enough to get a Sunset Veranda (SV) category room on the aft end of the ship, or book a suite. All the suite categories are currently VERY expensive.

We were in Aqua Class and so ate in the Blu restaurant, and the staff could not have been any nicer or more accommodating. The food and service was as good and often better than in Luminae, the restaurant for Sky Suites we've been in on Solstice Class ships. We ate around 6 p.m. and had the same perfect table in a corner every night, with a lot of space where Raylene could sleep while the waiters could work as usual without disturbing her. We'd book the same again except all the Aqua rooms have the infinite veranda which will not be my choice again.

When we arrived at the new Fort Lauderdale pier 25 fairly early, we were told the ship was expecting two dogs but not ours (an agent had a little spreadsheet of two names). Of course, I had advised Special Needs months before and received their form with  my name filled in. When the agent came back, he said the ship had reviewed my papers and decided that the dog would be "allowed to board." We saw one other, a large PTSD dog, on board.

The ship is very quirky, very modern, busy, unusual. We had a lot of fun with our two friends we cruised with. There are too many good things to list (and there are some negatives), but you'll find plenty of detail in cruise critic reviews if you are interested.

(Pictures attached of the pairs of doors, one set latching with red bar to push down manually to open; and of Raylene snoozing in the sun at one end of the Magic Carpet, a bar/seating area in an orange frame that is sort of suspended off the side of the ship - the crew can re-position it to another deck by moving it like an elevator. I think they've experimented with serving dinner out there but it is very windy when the ship is moving.)

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

Edited by Caribbean Chris

4 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Hi, everybody. We returned from our cruise on the new Celebrity Edge about ten days ago, and I've been meaning to give you a  report on arrangements for service dogs.

The box location is still deck 5, all the way forward, starboard side, but it is a little nicer - no Solstice class-style long. grimy "wind tunnel," and no "crew only" rope to climb over/remove to gain access.

Chris, thanks for the great information on the Edge. I guess in the future I will make sure that I have a copy of the e-mail confirmation regarding my service dog just in case! 

Dianne

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, thephantomsgirl said:

GREAT!   I am going with a group that has five service dogs and Special Access told us we could NOT have the relief box on the balcony.  It would make it soooo much easier than running down to deck 3.  We ALL got balconies for that reason and then we were told no.  But now there's hope!  Thank you, thank you thank you!

We DID get an officer assigned to us, so that may help too.  (my business development manager got that for me as I'm a TA taking out a group cruise with service dogs)

Now if they would have let us have sod or mulch....  Oh well bought some astroturf.

We cruise TOMORROW~

Holly

Hey Holly, I have a group traveling in May with several service dogs on the Carnival Ecstasy.  I was wondering what, if anything the officer that was assigned to you did?  I'm also a TA and could get my BDM to do the same for my group if it's needed.  I was on the ship in October & talked to Guest Services on board & they were already aware of my group sailing in May.  I hope you don't mind sharing your experience?  You can email me at melanie.dyer @ mindspring.com  (remove spaces)  Thanks in advance

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Now it is behind a pair of attractive royal blue louvered doors with a small "crew only" sign - it is not very heavy but must be opened manually, and it was often quite windy there. The box is just inside the door with a foot-operated trash can (not enough space by the box for a wheelchair). The filler was garden mulch. The filler was low and the trash can was full on embarkation day, so I requested that someone adjust and they did very quickly.

Along the stretch of deck closest to the box were paired glass doors.  As you approach from inside the ship, some closest to the box are non-automatic latching glass doors, with a red bar you must push to open one side manually. The second set that opens to the deck IS automatic but first you or your dog have to push a lighted "button" in the center and then the doors slide open. Further aft from the box, there is one set without the latching doors (but I believe you still have a wall panel and the button to push so the pair of automatic doors will open). That door would work best for someone using a wheelchair or Rollator, but you'll still have to cope with the blue louvered doors.

For those who plan to request that the box be moved to their veranda, be very careful what you book. The new "Infinite Verandas" on Edge are smaller than a traditional balcony. Much has been written in reviews how you have to move the furniture to use it, there's no footrest, only a tiny round table, etc., but the bottom line is it would not be feasible to place a box in this small space. I think options for a box on your veranda possibly would be to book early enough to get a Sunset Veranda (SV) category room on the aft end of the ship, or book a suite. All the suite categories are currently VERY expensive.

We were in Aqua Class and so ate in the Blu restaurant, and the staff could not have been any nicer or more accommodating. The food and service was as good and often better than in Luminae, the restaurant for Sky Suites we've been in on Solstice Class ships. We ate around 6 p.m. and had the same perfect table in a corner every night, with a lot of space where Raylene could sleep while the waiters could work as usual without disturbing her. We'd book the same again except all the Aqua rooms have the infinite veranda which will not be my choice again.

When we arrived at the new Fort Lauderdale pier 25 fairly early, we were told the ship was expecting two dogs but not ours (an agent had a little spreadsheet of two names). Of course, I had advised Special Needs months before and received their form with  my name filled in. When the agent came back, he said the ship had reviewed my papers and decided that the dog would be "allowed to board." We saw one other, a large PTSD dog, on board.

The ship is very quirky, very modern, busy, unusual. We had a lot of fun with our two friends we cruised with. There are too many good things to list (and there are some negatives), but you'll find plenty of detail in cruise critic reviews if you are interested.

(Pictures attached of the pairs of doors, one set latching with red bar to push down manually to open; and of Raylene snoozing in the sun at one end of the Magic Carpet, a bar/seating area in an orange frame that is sort of suspended off the side of the ship - the crew can re-position it to another deck by moving it like an elevator. I think they've experimented with serving dinner out there but it is very windy when the ship is moving.)

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

Welcome home Chris & family.  I swear Raylene looks just like Horton taking her nap.  The potty area sounds like a big, confusing annoyance, with all kinds of difficulties for someone with physical issues.  I certainly wouldn't be very happy if my cabin were in the aft of the ship and on another deck [the morning and evening potty breaks would be horrendous!!!]  The convenience of being able to wear my pajama's, no make-up and practically walking in my sleep to Horton's potty-box will always be important to me. 

I love Celebrity ships, they have such lovely and exciting areas onboard.  Unfortunately, I doubt if I will be taking one of their ships until they move the potty-box to a more accessible area for me and my dog.

15 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

Hey Holly, I have a group traveling in May with several service dogs on the Carnival Ecstasy.  I was wondering what, if anything the officer that was assigned to you did?  I'm also a TA and could get my BDM to do the same for my group if it's needed.  I was on the ship in October & talked to Guest Services on board & they were already aware of my group sailing in May.  I hope you don't mind sharing your experience?  You can email me at melanie.dyer @ mindspring.com  (remove spaces)  Thanks in advance

Carnival is very agreeable to the potty box placement on your veranda.  The only problem I see is them having to have more box's than they usually have, allowing everyone to have their own box. 

It would be easier for them to place a few box's in one spot.  However, with notice from you to Special Needs it certainly would give them the time they need to prepare.

ALWAYS   keep every piece of paperwork pertaining to your dog from:  The ship, the vet,  health org., the training org., various port authorities, immigration, TSA officials, etc., etc.  Have a large envelope with your dog's name on it that carries all documentation, stamps, licenses, blood tests, along with a picture of your dog. 

If you're asked an inane question by any authority figure during your travels with your dog, you will have the answer along with the paperwork to go with it!

REMEMBER  to have a "live" copy.  This means an original copy.  Some officials INSIST on seeing an original.

I don't look at Horton as a dog......He's my fur-partner; he makes my life so much better.  And, although traveling with him can sometimes be very daunting, I can't imagine doing it without him!  I will continue to do whatever it takes to have him by my side in every venue.

16 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Roz, met you on a cruise about 12 years ago, looks like we'll beat you to Alaska by three days on the Ruby.

That means you cruised with Brenda, Morey and me.  I love that!!!!!  Cruising with people like yourselves who I get the great pleasure of meeting and sometimes cruising with over and over again!

We have a couple that we [just by chance] cruise with over and over again, because they, like me, will only drive to the pier and cruise whatever cruises that are leaving out of our local ports [she hates to fly.]  It's so much fun to see them over and over again.  [Hello "Mnndcentral" if you're lurking.]

I hope that one day we'll get to meet again and you'll get the chance to meet Horton Jeffrey.

This is a repost  lol(my first time posting)

Good morning everyone... I will be cruising with my service dog Splash for the first time this coming September on the Star Princess. He is my first service dog and we were paired in August of this year. He is from America's VetDogs, the same wonderful organization President Bush's Sully came from. I feel incredibly blessed to be paired with this magnificent boy 🙂

I must say I'm a bit anxious after reading some of the posts about Princess!  I've already contacted the accessibility department and gotten approval to bring him aboard, and I will definitely purchase some turf to start training him to go on...is there anything else anyone can recommend ?

Thanks 🙂

Tami

splash and santa.JPG

I haven't been on for a while.  "Stuff" keeps happening.

We cancelled our Europe trip.  Was first cancelled because of my husband's work.  We own a commercial construction company and one job (government job in Wyoming) that was supposed to be done by 2018, then was supposed to happen in January, then in February, now in March, is a moving target.

We still went to Illinois to help my dad out with my mom, who broke her leg on Christmas.  She is home from the nursing home, but is supposed to be completely non weight bearing on the broken leg.  It was very stressful, she makes mean comments to my dad when he is helping and puts weight on the leg.  The are both in their 80's.  I don't believe he will be able to keep helping her if the recovery is extended over the the 2 weeks the doctors said if she doesn't bear weight she will be good.

I also saw my brother that is losing his battle with cancer.  I was only able to see him for an hour, due to his treatments and being in bed.  I just feel in my heart that might be the last time I see him.

Then we had a nephew in Idaho die of suicide.  So now we are in Idaho to attend his celebration of life.  Boy am I looking forward to going back to warm Florida and not deal with family.

I ended up in the ER in Illinois with a possible blood clot.  They said no evidence of one.  Since the leg has not let up pain, I have an appointment in Idaho while I am here.  Hopefully it is nothing, but I can't seem to find a decent general practitioner in Florida close to me, so I figured I would see what I could do here.

But, I am in good spirits and Halo is doing great.  We have a friend coming by with his buddy, Bear, tonight, so the boys can play.  I know I miss Bear.  I used to day sit him 4 days a week from when he and Halo where both 6 months.  Then see my daughter this weekend, she and her boyfriend will come back from college for the weekend.  And visit my good friend Monday next week.  So life really is good.

My husband and I are considering going to Puerto Rico for a long weekend.  I have the Southwest companion pass, he flies free with me.  It is only $250.00 roundtrip with a direct flight from Tampa.  Mid range hotels are about $100 a night.  Could be a nice get away.  Heck we would spend more just staying in Tampa for a few days.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have been investigating my next cruise.  My husband really wants to do a Royal Caribbean lines cruise.  I have done mostly Carnival.  Hard to give up that status.  I am also looking at Carnival's newest ship, Mardi Gras, for 2020.

Linda and Halo

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, tld723 said:

This is a repost �lol(my first time posting)

Good morning everyone... I will be cruising with my service dog Splash for the first time this coming September on the Star Princess. He is my first service dog and we were paired in August of this year. He is from America's VetDogs, the same wonderful organization President Bush's Sully came from. I feel incredibly blessed to be paired with this magnificent boy?

�I must say I'm a bit anxious after reading some of the posts about Princess! �I've already contacted the accessibility department and gotten approval to bring him aboard, and I will definitely purchase some turf to start training him to go on...is there anything else anyone can recommend ?

�Thanks?

Tami

splash and santa.JPG

Tami, Princess is wonderful, once they get the potty box placement down pat.  They like to place it on a forward or aft deck, usually outside.  Sometimes they will use a forward stairwell.  Just make sure that when you board you go directly to the Passenger Services Desk to find out where they've placed the box.

If the box is not sufficient for you [i.e. placed in an area that creates a problem for you in opening doors or if it's too small, let them know].  They want you to be happy and they will try to please you.

I love Princess's product and tend to cruise them more than other lines.  I like the box close to my cabin and will insist that it's moved to a stairwell near me [I'd prefer my veranda but they just won't do it].

Get your dog used to going in a potty box [fill it with mulch].  I cover whatever they use with the artificial stuff that I buy at Lowes.  It folds nicely and my dog loves it.

Your dog is very handsome!