First night on the ship- can you wear shorts to dinner

I have worn shorts that 1st night, as our bags didn't arrive until AFTER 10pm!!!! (We boarded at 11:30am--did my luggage try to escape???)

If you don't HAVE to, don't--most folks are still not "shorts" casual--even on the 1st night. But--if that's all you have.....

On my last cruise we did the Everglades tour before the cruise and I was wearing green camouflage pants. After our tour we went to the ship and I checked my bags. It turns out I forgot to keep out my hairbrush. So during sail away my hair was very wind blown and we didn't get our bags until after dinner. So yes you can wear whatever to the first night but I felt bad and explained what had happened to the waiters. They just laughed and reminded me that formal night was coming up. Now I'll be more aware of what I wear onto the ship and I went and bought a travel sized hairbrush I don't know why I didn't think of it before:D :)

Our 2nd cruise, we received the main suitcase about 5PM. We quickly put things away before dinner. The other one with DH suits and my dresses arrived sometime between 7 & 10 PM. We had dinner came back to room briefly then went to show. Low and behold we got back and there was the other suitcase.

Quite a few people pack a pair of slacks in their carry-on, so they have something to wear to dinner the first night. I, for one, am not interested in wearing the same clothes I wore cross-country on the airplane.

I really don't know what the fascination is with wearing shorts, anyway. Cotton pants and sandals work just as well, and are just as comfy, IMO.

Quite a few people pack a pair of slacks in their carry-on, so they have something to wear to dinner the first night. I, for one, am not interested in wearing the same clothes I wore cross-country on the airplane.

I really don't know what the fascination is with wearing shorts, anyway. Cotton pants and sandals work just as well, and are just as comfy, IMO.

I don't get it either. Dressing a little nicer for dinner makes every evening feel special and there's just no need to sacrifice comfort if you buy clothes that fit. Go with capris and a top w/ sandals, or dockers and a polo (or Tommy Bahama-type shirt), for casual that doesn't look sloppy. Carry-on luggage is a wonderful thing :)

Our first cruise 2 years ago, we wore shorts on many occasions. We looked decent but on vacation. NoONE cared! We didn't even know at the time that you are NOt suppose to wear shorts. We did dress formally on formal nights and tried to take advantage of the theme nights. BUT we did wear shorts more times than not. And I will repeat... NOONE CARED.:cool:

No one said a thing to us - I was wearing yoga pants and a tshirt - my son was in shorts, and I think my BF had on jeans and a tshirt. I really think that the cruise lines realize and understand that you may not receive your luggage in time to be "properly" dressed for dinner. Most people in the dinning room were dressed similarly. Although we had the early seating - it did seem like other passengers who had the late seating were dressed a little nicer. They probably had a better chance of their luggage being delivered by the time they needed to dress for dinner. But regardless of what seating you have, I think you'll be perfectly fine in shorts.

One cruise I didnt get my suitcase until 8:30 pm. I know, I know, you are supposed to carry on enough clothes to get through the day right?

Luckily it was a special night in the buffet, no I didnt go into the dining room in my shorts.

I always pack (including slacks) 2 days of clothes in my carry on........some of our cruise friends never had their luggage show up.....and it was an airline problem not cruiseline problem........since then I always have a couple of days of clothes in the carry on........you never know.:rolleyes:

The first night out they realize suit cases are not delivered to each room prior to dinner. I always try and wear slacks to board the ship just because as a courtesy to other guests I don't want to wear shorts to the dining room. They do allow it the first night. Jeans are also allowed the first night.

I hear the first night on the ship you can wearr shorts because not all the suite caases have been delivered to your cabin? Is this true? any info would be appreciated.
The real question is why would you want to unless your luggage had not arrived and it was all you had available?

If it's your desire to wear shorts in the dining room, you most likely will not get asked to leave (except possibly on formal nights) any night of the cruise.

I always pack (including slacks) 2 days of clothes in my carry on........some of our cruise friends never had their luggage show up.....and it was an airline problem not cruiseline problem........since then I always have a couple of days of clothes in the carry on........you never know.:rolleyes:

Is this really something I should consider? We will be driving to the port from home, so I do not have to worry about the airlines misplacing our luggage. However, I am traveling with my husband and 3 children and I really do not want to carry on all those clothes. How often are bags late to the rooms and have bags never shown up? Thanks!

On our cruise last fall on the Freedom we went to dinner the first night in our shorts, but it was only because we hadn't gotten our luggage yet. When we walked in we automatically just told the Matre'd that we hadn't received our luggage and he just smiled. That was the first time it had taken so long, but then again, we had never been upgraded to a JS so our luggage had to find us in our new cabin! :D Even though we felt a little uncomfortable, everyone at our table understood. I really didn't want to deal with carry-on "just in case" and I probably won't on future cruises. It's certainly not going to ruin my cruise if even half the dining room is in shorts the first night. I'm there to have fun and not let little things get to me. :)

I agree, plus the dining room in my opinion is to cold for shorts.

Our first cruise 2 years ago, we wore shorts on many occasions. We looked decent but on vacation. NoONE cared! We didn't even know at the time that you are NOt suppose to wear shorts. We did dress formally on formal nights and tried to take advantage of the theme nights. BUT we did wear shorts more times than not. And I will repeat... NOONE CARED.:cool:

Or no one said anything. I prefer people such as yourself to eat at the buffet, which is what you are dressed for. The cruiselines put out dress codes for a reason.

Archived