I'm so Conflicted......... Why Bother??

sail7seas

The whole idea of a vacation is to get away from work. Why would someone want to go on vacation and then dress like they are at work? A vacation is a time to relax and enjoy the company of others without worrying if you will make the sail, win the contract, win the case ...

There will be plenty of chances to dress up again once you return to the real world.

VERY WELL SAID, baby! :) (Also loved your line on another thread about interesting people dressing differently than oneself)

We "dress up" in our social dealings at home. I have no desire to do so whilst on vacation.

sail: my dad used to tell me that I would never be criticized for being dressed well. HAL's suggested dress standards are, IMO, the minimum which HAL would like it's guests adopt. Dressing above the suggested dress standard is not a sin and you should never have to apologize to anyone for doing so, nor should you feel out of step, so to speak. I would hope that the dining room staff appreciates those guests who abide by or exceed the suggested dress standards. Classy dress will never go out of style nor be out of place, IMO.

Sail, I can relate to exactly what you are going through. In my case, DH loves to dress and I love to make him happy on vacation. So....

Wheels on all our luggage and away we go. Even flying we have 4 wheeled suitcases, 1 large and 1 small for each of us. Getting them packed IS the hardest part but it does matter to us so I do it. That's why we cruise is to enjoy the finer environment of a ship compared to a land vacation. If we go camping or some other casual vacation, we can pack light and enjoy that too. Both make us happy. We may be in the minority but hey, when I went to engineering college 30 years ago, I became very used to being in the minority; sometimes it's a good thing.

Because we are boarding 30 minutes from home, this cruise I will do as usual.

Next cruise we have to fly to meet the ship.

That one may be our first with a different sort of wardrobe in our duffel bag!!

Maybe that would be lowering my standard. Or maybe it's just making my life easier. :)

Sail do as usual and enjoy your cruise! You will look great and feel great, who cares what others wear? Yes, it's more of a problem to pack when flying is involved, but I enjoy the challenge of packing clothing suitable for the formal nights even though it can be difficult! :eek: So enjoy that homeport cruise and have a great time!

Great, great posts. Thank you all.

Tomorrow I shall pull out an additional suitcase and add another sport jacket for DH and a few more skirts for me!!!

And I'll think of you all when we feel good about ourselves on our way to dinner!!

Sail, I wish I could meet you or at least see some photos of you dressed for dinner. Of course, you will dress the way you always do because it's clear that you love crusiing on your Masdam and enjoy dressing for yourself.

I believe that it takes a degree of maturity and self confidence to wear what you want to wear and feel comfortable doing it. Dressing the way you do shows respect for the ship, the experience you love, and each other. You will have a wonderful time because you will be doing what makes you feel comfortable.

Why bother looking at the people "in the know" when it's clear you are one of them. :)

Have a wonderful cruise. I'll be imagining how great you look.

Why? Why am I bothering to go to all this trouble?

Why am I not putting two pair of dockers and a bunch of polo shirts out to pack for DH and.......well, actually the same for me?

Because it's important to you ... and you don't need any better reason than that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You seem to think it is one way or the other....that anything less than lovely formal wear is a 'who cares, it's all about me attitude'. I'm willing to bet that the majority of cruisers attempt to do the right thing, gasp!...even WANT to do the right thing, and despite their efforts may still fall short of the expectations of the beautiful, experienced cruisers.

Jo-Bob -- Well said!

Sail, I don't think you would be comfortable wearing what some other cruisers choose to wear. You seem much too classy for the ordinary or below ordinary. We wear what we feel comfortable in and I believe the clothes do make a statement about us as much as others may disagree. Iron those clothes and pack that beautiful suitcase just like always. Don't ever let these Holland cruises become less than wonderful. Enjoy stepping out with the DH you seem to love so much. I'm sure he will think you are beautiful and appreciate your effort.

I guess I still consider cruising a "social thing" and appropriate dress should apply.

I don't really care what anyone chooses to wear - I just hate to see formal night becoming less and less formal....:(

I am one of those who doesn't mind dressing for occasions, whether it be work or a nice dinner out.

The fact is, even before HAL relaxed the dress code there were those pax that did as they wanted, for what ever reason. They will continue to "dumb it down" until it will become pointless to even set the dining table any longer... maybe if HAL did away with the dining room all together and served only buffet style, people would finally be happy.

Here's a novel concept:rolleyes: : we follow the dress code because the cruise line asks us to! We do it out of respect to the cruise line, its officers, who btw also dress up on formal nights, and to our fellow pax who do the same.

Now, if you don't want to do that,for whatever reason, knock yourself out. To each his own! But let's not knock each other silly for our choices (both sides) rather consider how lucky we are to be able to enjoy a cruise (or several). No matter how affordable it is, there's an awful lot of folks who still don't have that opportunity!

This has turned into a fantastic thread IMO

Thanks everyone.

Yes.......I started this thread by mentioning how important it is to us to show respect to the Officers and crew and our fellow guests by wearing what we have always thought appropriate.

I guess we are who we are and down deep always will be.

The clothes do not make the man but they do say something about that man (or woman) IMO

I guess I'm not ready to change the message about myself that my choice of garments expresses.

Some of you have said some very nice things and I very sincerely thank you.

Sail, I just read your post.......:eek: :eek: :eek: !! I have my bags packed with my formal wear et all.

I am at the point when I don't care what others are wearing. I have waited a long time for this cruise and to wear something other than what i wear everyday here at home.:rolleyes: I may be the only one dressed up on formal night but who cares. It is one of the parts of crusing that I love.

Linda

Linda......DH and I will be wearing formal clothes. REAL formal clothes. Not just a jacket and tie that has become HAL's description of what constitutes formal for gentlemen.

As others have reminded me........ We are dressing for ourselves and should dress per our own desires (as long as they meet the miniumum requirement HAL has described).

Have a wonderful cruise and please come back and tell us about it.

Bon Voyage, Linda.

Fair winds and a following sea.........

No offense, but I can't believe how much space on this Board is given to the question of dress. We have all lived long enough to see many changes in social behavior. Whether we like it or not that is the way the world turns. Sail, enjoy yourself to your heart's content and dress the way you want. On the other hand, if someone does not dress to the nines, that is their choice and their right. That does not mean they are not educated, intelligent, socially aware or unpleasant people. They can afford to take this cruise and as long as they are decently clothed and clean (taking it to it's furthest limit) what's the big deal? Half the world is at war. At least half the world is going hungry. Let's try to put things in perspective. We're taking a cruise - lighten up!

No offense, but I can't believe how much space on this Board is given to the question of dress. We have all lived long enough to see many changes in social behavior. Whether we like it or not that is the way the world turns. Sail, enjoy yourself to your heart's content and dress the way you want. On the other hand, if someone does not dress to the nines, that is their choice and their right. That does not mean they are not educated, intelligent, socially aware or unpleasant people. They can afford to take this cruise and as long as they are decently clothed and clean (taking it to it's furthest limit) what's the big deal? Half the world is at war. At least half the world is going hungry. Let's try to put things in perspective. We're taking a cruise - lighten up!

Thank you for saying this. I've been shaking my head in disbelief on this very thing. I don't think we are doing much of a service to ourselves or to new and prospective cruisers who are planning/researching a trip.

Then again, in the spirit of live and let live, if that's what people want to talk about, who am I to care? :)

Sail, you just go ahead and pack for, and dress on, the cruise as you feel is right for you and your DH. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise or make you feel embarrassed or uncomfortable about dressing up. I used to care what other people thought, and was made to feel uncomfortable for dressing up on a cruise. But, after observing RuthC being "herself" regardless of the opinion of over-opinionated jerks, I decided to dress up as I like on Formal and casual nights. Anyone who doesn't like that, or who gives you a hard time on this board on in person, can go jump off the fantail of a damship and swim in the Azipod wake.

Sail, you just go ahead and pack for, and dress on, the cruise as you feel is right for you and your DH. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise or make you feel embarrassed or uncomfortable about dressing up. I used to care what other people thought, and was made to feel uncomfortable for dressing up on a cruise. But, after observing RuthC being "herself" regardless of the opinion of over-opinionated jerks, I decided to dress up as I like on Formal and casual nights. Anyone who doesn't like that, or who gives you a hard time on this board on in person, can go jump off the fantail of a damship and swim in the Azipod wake.

Pretty violent tonight, aren't we Rev?;) I'd rather deal with the fantail than with the Spanish Inquisition with the comfy chair!:eek:

'

Archived