Hypothetical Question

barbon2

There have been many posts in regard to smoking and non-smoking on a ship. I myself do not smoke but I thought we could have some fun and some interesting replies to this hypothetical question.

Assuming you are a non-smoker and there is a smoking and non-smoking side to the ship (in regard to cabins), would you accept this upgrade for free?

Booked....a regular balcony cabin non-smoking.

Free upgrade....a catagory SA suite on the smoking side.

Barbara

Sure I would take it, the ship uses a chemical that gets rid of smoke smell very well. I personally feel we have all been in cabins that the previous occupant smoked but we had no idea because of the cleaning and deodorizing that is done. As for being out in the balcony I seriously doubt that the smoke would bother us especially if the ship is moving.

Sure I would take it, the ship uses a chemical that gets rid of smoke smell very well. I personally feel we have all been in cabins that the previous occupant smoked but we had no idea because of the cleaning and deodorizing that is done. As for being out in the balcony I seriously doubt that the smoke would bother us especially if the ship is moving.

Don't forget, though ... now you are smack dab in the middle of a bunch of smokers' cabins. Even the best of chemicals may not be able to do much about the smell. The way things stand now ... you might have two cabins worth of smokers on a row ... the rest could be occupied by non-smokers. But, if HAL (and other cruise lines) ever went to one side of the ship smoking and the other non-smoking, if you took an upgrade on the smoking side, you would be surrounded on all sides by smokers. Could a non-smoker truly live happily with that? Seems like it would be better to keep the lower cabin category on the non-smoking side of the ship. At least it would appear that way to me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am a non smoker who grew up in a smoking household (as did my husband). I work with people who smoke (on their way to work) and their clothes stink and they literally stink as they walk into the office, and that smell lingers for minutes.(I am not the only co-worker who notices it, because the girl at the front desk ALWAYS opens up the front door for a few minutes after the "smokers" walk in, just to air it out). I know that my parents car stinks like cigarettes. I know their house does. I know my clothes pick up the smell when I visit, as does my hair. I know my brothers childrens clothes stink (their parents smoke) and when they walk in my house I smell it immediately. I will walk a mile out of my way if possible to stay out of a smoking area. I have walked out of motel rooms that were guaranteed non-smoking. I have been outside with people smoking and yes, the smell has a way of traveling.I thought non-smoking "areas" in restaurants were the biggest joke in the world.....the smoke NEVER stopped at the wall it was supposed to. I have sat behind cars (with my windows down) at a stop light and smelled the cigarette smoke coming from the car in front of me. Would I knowingly put myself in the area of smoke, for the best suite in the world? Absolutely not. The smell disgusts me!!

But......I realize "each to his own" and I stay away as best as possible. However, it is such a deal-breaker with me that I would refuse to be near any smoking areas.

Shari

(Who wears jeans while running away from the smoke!):D

There have been many posts in regard to smoking and non-smoking on a ship. I myself do not smoke but I thought we could have some fun and some interesting replies to this hypothetical question.

Assuming you are a non-smoker and there is a smoking and non-smoking side to the ship (in regard to cabins), would you accept this upgrade for free?

Barbara

No, not I (and I am a former smoker).

Barbara

Most probably not, I'd stick to the non-smoking side. (Ex-smoker too)

My husband is a nonsmoker who, when smoking was allowed on planes, always chose the smoking section, even when I wasn't with him, because he said the people were friendlier and didn't complain about "everything."

And 10 years ago, when I quit smoking for several years, smoking areas never bothered me. At that time my MIL lived with us and smoked constantly. Didn't bother either of us.

So Yes, we would, whether I was smoking or not.

But certainly there are people with actual allergies to even small amounts of smoke. Went on a trip with a friend like that, and had to quite smoking several months beforehand and be sure that everything I took with us was cleaned, washed, or never exposed to smoke. We got along fine - no problems.

Barbara

We all might be lucky and be surrounded by non-smokers who were upgraded to the other side.:D Nancy

Bob,

It was not my intention to start another "smoking" thread, just a thread to have a little fun with.

Barbara

I realize it was not your intention to start another "smoking" thread but just mention the word "smoke"and we are off to the races. There is already 1 post that is full of the usual complaints and rants.

Stay tuned there is more to come. :rolleyes:

We all might be lucky and be surrounded by non-smokers who were upgraded to the other side.:D Nancy

Hi everyone, I too was born into a smoking family. I never have smoked nor has my DH. BUT.. I agree with Nancy. My DH and I have had great view seats in resturants, ect... because we agreed to the smoking section (which we in WA state no longer have to worry about).

We live 10 miles from the Oregon boarder where they still smoke in bars and resturants.

We do not like smelling of smoke... BUT if our friends are gathering at one of those Oregon establishments we will NOT miss out on the fun!! We do have a washer and dryer!:rolleyes:

I agree with Nancy, that there might be a lot of nonsmokers (in the mix of smokers) so I would take the upgrade. Lisa is right too IMO, they have sprays to make ALL odors disappear.:eek: Anyone ever stayed in Vegas!?

:eek:

If they can figure it out I am sure HAL has! JUST MY OPINION!!

T;)

I am extremely sensitive to smoke (actually, to all smells including perfume) so this wouldn't be a possibility for me. Even if they offered me the Penthouse, I would have to pass if it was in a smoking area.

Sure, I'll take the SA on the smoking side. Heck, that would apply to any upgrade offered for free. I understand those that don't like smoke, but since this is a hypothetical question, no harm no foul.

I'm sure with the ship traveling 25 knots, I wouldn't smell the smoke anyways, and when we're in port, I won't be in my room anyways!

Cheers!

Hi j3baker,

It was a hypothetical question. Hal does not have a smoking side when it comes to staterooms. You are correct, all Hal's staterooms allow smoking.

Although this original question was hypothetical, when I sailed on the Norway they had smoking staterooms on the starboard side and non smoking on port.

It's sort of ironic to me... many people would jump at the chance for the free upgrade, yet on the "other" thread so many balked about being next to the "smokers"... too funny, or not... whichever way you choose to look at it. :confused:

I don't smoke and being outside on a balcony next to smokers doesn't matter a whit to me, so I'd probably take it.

Archived