A Question of Consideration

sagiv666

As I read threads and/or replies to them, I often see individuals using large colored letters in the text of their post and/or end it with large, flashing colored letters of their name, etc.

As a biologist, I know that certain people are sensitive to flashing lights (strobes, even emergency lights on police cars and ambulances). In fact, these flashing lights can bring on headaches and seizures. I don't advocate removing emergency rotators (red or orange), but are these large flashing lights necessary in this forum? Who knows who wants to read and contribute their ideas about cruising.:(

As I read threads and/or replies to them, I often see individuals using large colored letters in the text of their post and/or end it with large, flashing colored letters of their name, etc.

I haven't been bothered by the flashing text, although the 60 line signatures get to be a bit much when a thread becomes 1 line of "me too" and 60 lines of signature, or worse a back and forth one-liner conversation in the middle of a good thread between two 60-liners.... lots of screen goes by with little added to the conversation.... but I don;t let it bother me THAT much... I moderate a forum on another site/subject, that uses the same software CC does and sigs are limited in length and BIG test just doesn;t get used.

CC is a place for Excited people. VERY excited people, and for good reason.

If you figure what each poster has put into their cruise, including the cash, emotional investment and time spent planning, they have right to be!

Personally I agree that the overly large text and blinking is a bit over the top, but then, so is cruising in general, this site and us silly folk who come here!:D

I visit these boards for relaxation, to get information, sometimes ask questions, and occasionally offer some advise, criticism, etc.

I don't need all of the other "forms of entertainment" -- in that I have the Signatures, Avatars, Pictures, etc. turned "OFF".

Suggestion to the OP: If you did the same, would that not help?

If you are one of these people that something like this bothers you, you can very simply turn off signatures and not view them. No reason to make everyone else conform to something that is a personal problem. Im not saying its your problem, just saying if it is someone's problem just turn off viewing signatures options. I cant see any flashing lights, as Iv turned off signatures to make it easier to view more posts per page. Its a option anyone can easily do.

I haven't been bothered by the flashing text, although the 60 line signatures get to be a bit much when a thread becomes 1 line of "me too" and 60 lines of signature, or worse a back and forth one-liner conversation in the middle of a good thread between two 60-liners.... lots of screen goes by with little added to the conversation.... but I don;t let it bother me THAT much... I moderate a forum on another site/subject, that uses the same software CC does and sigs are limited in length and BIG test just doesn;t get used.

CC is a place for Excited people. VERY excited people, and for good reason.

If you figure what each poster has put into their cruise, including the cash, emotional investment and time spent planning, they have right to be!

Personally I agree that the overly large text and blinking is a bit over the top, but then, so is cruising in general, this site and us silly folk who come here!:D

I have to disagree. It is like trying to excuse someone who drives through a red light and causes accidents and possible deaths by saying: "He/she was going to a cruise and he/she was excited."

I spend time planning my vacations -- including cruises --but that doesn't mean I have the right to ignore the rights and welfare of others, if that is within my control.

Your job as moderator would be a lot easier if people would just try to be a little more considerate and realistic.:(

As a biologist, I know that certain people are sensitive to flashing lights (strobes, even emergency lights on police cars and ambulances). In fact, these flashing lights can bring on headaches and seizures. I don't advocate removing emergency rotators (red or orange), but are these large flashing lights necessary in this forum? Who knows who wants to read and contribute their ideas about cruising.:(

I haven't had all that stuff show up in years. Look at the upper left of the screen. Click on "User CP". Click on 'Edit Options' on the left side of next screen. It lists all kinds of possibilities. You need to un-check the showing of the signature, avatar, etc. etc.

Everyone has their choice of what they see, and what they want shown on their own posts. It's much easier to adjust what you see, than to try to get thousands of others to adjust their options.

I'm very happy that "I don't advocate removing emergency rotators (red or orange), ". Somehow I don't think you'd convince the police/fire/ambulance services to change that! :-)

I have to disagree. It is like trying to excuse someone who drives through a red light and causes accidents and possible deaths by saying: "He/she was going to a cruise and he/she was excited."

I spend time planning my vacations -- including cruises --but that doesn't mean I have the right to ignore the rights and welfare of others, if that is within my control.

Your job as moderator would be a lot easier if people would just try to be a little more considerate and realistic.:(

Huh? That's a stretch...

Now I've seen everything on here. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. Next we'll be chastised for our discussions of food as being insenstive to those cellulite-challenged individuals out there. Those who are sensitive to such things must find a way to make their own way in today's world. To expect the overwhelming majority to adapt to the standards of what must be an infinitessimal minority is just unrealistic. That said, I hope everyone can find a way to enjoy these discussions. Bon Voyage to all!

This is a lot like saying that because one child in the school has a violent reaction to peanuts, that no child should be able to bring peanutbutter to school.

Also you can add:

Milk

Eggs

Glutin

Ect.

It is not up to 'everyone' to take care of that person(s). That person(s)needs to learn to care for themselves (and yes, I have allergies like the aforementioned).

I agree with the lights. And as far as the one liners go, it is how people get the post counts up.

Not everyone who posts a "one liner" is just trying to get their post count up. :confused: I don't mind the one liners, even if they get off topic in the middle of a thread. What i love about this forum IS that people sometimes get off topic, otherwise, just reading about formal nites, lobsters, OBCs, etc. would get boring!!:D ;)

Just turn off the signatures, and the flashing won't bother you. I personally LOVE seeing all the different siggies, but never about the flashing. I have seen some ads on some websites that have flashing, and THAT was a pain!!

I visit these boards for relaxation, to get information, sometimes ask questions, and occasionally offer some advise, criticism, etc.

I don't need all of the other "forms of entertainment" -- in that I have the Signatures, Avatars, Pictures, etc. turned "OFF".

Suggestion to the OP: If you did the same, would that not help?

Sounds like a good idea. I'm relatively new here, and I'd like to know how this is done.:confused:

I happen to like my signature as it was made especially for me by a friend. If it offends you, please feel free to have signatures removed by using the CP as instructed above.

Thank you.

Katie,

I like your signature too...it's really cute.

Rev

Oh, stop flaming the OP. Different strokes....

I enjoy the signatures etc perhaps a bit too much. Among other things, they give some perspective to newbies like me when I see that a response comes from somebody with, say, 32 cruise under their belts on a wide variety of cruise lines. It adds so much more to the actual response.

A classic CC signature has a live action snippet of 2 penguins at the edge of an ice floe. I'm chuckling just thinking about what happens next in the clip.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Archived