A Question of Consideration

sagiv666

I haven't had all that stuff show up in years. Look at the upper left of the screen. Click on "User CP". Click on 'Edit Options' on the left side of next screen. It lists all kinds of possibilities. You need to un-check the showing of the signature, avatar, etc. etc.

Everyone has their choice of what they see, and what they want shown on their own posts. It's much easier to adjust what you see, than to try to get thousands of others to adjust their options.

I'm very happy that "I don't advocate removing emergency rotators (red or orange), ". Somehow I don't think you'd convince the police/fire/ambulance services to change that! :-)

Thanks for the info. I didn't know shutting the unwanted images was possible, but I'm doing it. I always like to follow my own feelings and not tell others what to do. :D

I haven't had all that stuff show up in years. Look at the upper left of the screen. Click on "User CP". Click on 'Edit Options' on the left side of next screen. It lists all kinds of possibilities. You need to un-check the showing of the signature, avatar, etc. etc.

Everyone has their choice of what they see, and what they want shown on their own posts. It's much easier to adjust what you see, than to try to get thousands of others to adjust their options.

I'm very happy that "I don't advocate removing emergency rotators (red or orange), ". Somehow I don't think you'd convince the police/fire/ambulance services to change that! :-)

I don't advocate school bus drivers using their flashing lights

when they are not picking up schoolchildren, and I wouldn't want to see emergency rotators used just to cross a red light, etc. w/o an emergency situation, but I have worked in public health and am a father and I know the need for the above used when they are really needed. Thanks again for your info.

I have to agree. Next we'll be chastised for our discussions of food as being insenstive to those cellulite-challenged individuals out there. Those who are sensitive to such things must find a way to make their own way in today's world. To expect the overwhelming majority to adapt to the standards of what must be an infinitessimal minority is just unrealistic. That said, I hope everyone can find a way to enjoy these discussions. Bon Voyage to all!

I put a question on the thread and I have gotten information how to change the situation for myself. I listen to you and I hear philosophy. By the way, I consider those large letter helpful in seeing if I make the right changes. What a world!!!:(

I wouldn't want to see emergency rotators used just to cross a red light, etc. w/o an emergency situation, but I have worked in public health and am a father and I know the need for the above used when they are really needed.

Police use their lights to get through intersections when enroute to urgent, but not emergency calls. For example, verbal domestics, etc.

It is comletely legal and in accordance with policy. People who complain about that sort of thing don't take a second to think outside the box. :rolleyes:

I have the avators and signatures turned off :)

I also turned mine off a year or so ago. I began to have strange numbness and tingling and after a series of doctors, discovered that I was having silent migraines. The bright colors and flashing lights from all computer use were triggering them. Then, the migraines started to become painful. Just looking at this plain computer screen for long, will give me a headache. Flashing lights on the roads (even car headlights) are horrible to me! :(

This is a lot like saying that because one child in the school has a violent reaction to peanuts, that no child should be able to bring peanutbutter to school.

Also you can add:

Milk

Eggs

Glutin

Ect.

It is not up to 'everyone' to take care of that person(s). That person(s)needs to learn to care for themselves (and yes, I have allergies like the aforementioned).

My wife has allergies to certain foods. At the same time she buys these foods which I can eat; she just doesn't eat them herself. Just because they are in the house, or just because she won't eat them in a restaurant (often she will not touch something which she is afraid of, even if she is assured it does not contain something to which she is allergic) does not mean she gets sick.

What's your point?:confused:

You guys have to admit that there are a select few signatures here that are a bit too long... I don't mind it but sometimes they are a little gaudy and over the top. i don't think its necessary to write your name in huge pink/purple/bright green/yellow letters and bold face it... we can read it the exact same way if it was a little smaller with more neutral colors! And to the OP... you should go over to the carnival board and look at half the signatures over there... they have lots of cruise groups that have flashing and moving banners all over the place!

Oh, stop flaming the OP. Different strokes....

I enjoy the signatures etc perhaps a bit too much. Among other things, they give some perspective to newbies like me when I see that a response comes from somebody with, say, 32 cruise under their belts on a wide variety of cruise lines. It adds so much more to the actual response.

A classic CC signature has a live action snippet of 2 penguins at the edge of an ice floe. I'm chuckling just thinking about what happens next in the clip.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Why doso many people think they have to put bright flashing lights on posts and then put down people who might complain? Is this some kind of new ego trip?:confused:

For the OP - just turn off signatures and avatars if they bother you.

By all means, turn them off if they bother you. They don't bother me and I choose to leave them on. Freedom of speech ring a bell? When options are available whose problem is it if you don't exercise options? Please!! Post how you want, but if you want to turn part of it off, you can. You got yours, I got mine, win, win!!! Enough said. I enjoy a little freedom of expression, not necessarily mine but reading others. I am happy to see there are means for those who need the signatures turned off.

As I read threads and/or replies to them, I often see individuals using large colored letters in the text of their post and/or end it with large, flashing colored letters of their name, etc.

As a biologist, I know that certain people are sensitive to flashing lights (strobes, even emergency lights on police cars and ambulances). In fact, these flashing lights can bring on headaches and seizures. I don't advocate removing emergency rotators (red or orange), but are these large flashing lights necessary in this forum? Who knows who wants to read and contribute their ideas about cruising.:(

You state that you put a question on the thread and I replied with philosophy. Surely your question was rhetorical in nature as I must assume that you know that these "large flashing lights" as you call them are certainly not "necessary". You then imply that somehow those who put these "large flshing lights" on threads are somehow limiting the accessibilty of others to ths forum. You didn't ask for help removing these things for yourself; instead you implied they should be removed for other's sake. I thought a philosphical reply was appropriate considering your original statement.;)

My wife has allergies to certain foods. At the same time she buys these foods which I can eat; she just doesn't eat them herself. Just because they are in the house, or just because she won't eat them in a restaurant (often she will not touch something which she is afraid of, even if she is assured it does not contain something to which she is allergic) does not mean she gets sick.

What's your point?:confused:

That some people are so allergic to foods that being in close proximity can set off a reaction. (Just like your comment that someone can be so sensitive to exterior stimulus that it causes a reaction.)

IE peanuts. If you are very allergic to peanuts, someone that has had a peanutbutter sandwich at the table just before you can make you violently ill if you sit and eat there.

My point was that you don't ban peanuts because of this, you teach the person that they need to care for themselves by washing down any table they sit at first.

My point is that if someone is that susceptible to flashing lights and such, they need to take a proactive position for themselves (like the special glasses that are made for this problem ^_^).

You state that you put a question on the thread and I replied with philosophy. Surely your question was rhetorical in nature as I must assume that you know that these "large flashing lights" as you call them are certainly not "necessary". You then imply that somehow those who put these "large flshing lights" on threads are somehow limiting the accessibilty of others to ths forum. You didn't ask for help removing these things for yourself; instead you implied they should be removed for other's sake. I thought a philosphical reply was appropriate considering your original statement.;)

Agreed. I had to go back to the orginal post because I didn't think there was a question in there at all. I was about to post something similar to yours... I'm still kind of lost on objecting to emergency lights...and the school bus thing.

Just think how different this thread would have been if there was a question.

"Is there a way to read the posts in a condensed version?" Or "Is there a way to elminate graphics?"

As I read threads and/or replies to them, I often see individuals using large colored letters in the text of their post and/or end it with large, flashing colored letters of their name, etc.

As a biologist, I know that certain people are sensitive to flashing lights (strobes, even emergency lights on police cars and ambulances). In fact, these flashing lights can bring on headaches and seizures. I don't advocate removing emergency rotators (red or orange), but are these large flashing lights necessary in this forum? Who knows who wants to read and contribute their ideas about cruising.:(

The problem with your thread is that you titled it "A Question of Consideration" and the theme of your OP is that those who use such devices are inconsiderate and that this could somehow limit accessibility to others... You never once asked for help on this topic in your original post... In other words, you advocate that everyone else should change their manner of expression for the sake of someone who may have issues with this...

If this manner of expression is not necessary to your enjoyment of the forum, then take the initiative to change that by researching the site and finding out how to make it more accessible to you...

I hate it when people expect everyone to change to accommodate them... It's like those idiots who get offended by movies in theaters or what's on TV or books.... Take responsibility for yourself... make the choice not to see that movie or watch that TV show... Or in the OP's case, take the time to learn about the site before posting a thread that implies that someone is "inconsiderate" simply because their manner of expression is "irritating" to you...

Sometimes being considerate also means learning to be tolerant of others...

Choose your battles... this is such a ridiculous thing to get your panties in a bunch over...

Archived