Fort Myers RSW or FLL

TwinCruiserMom

I am going on a cruise in December, and the day that we return from our cruise there are 9 ships at Port Everglades. :eek: Getting a taxi that day will be a real treat unless we do the early walk off.

Now I have read some horror stories about the mess that occurs at FLL on crowded cruise ship days. Mostly complaints about no where to sit while waiting for the 2 hour window to check in bags (waiting areas crammed with people everywhere) and also extra long lines (sometimes to the garage) for security.

It looks like if we fly out of FLL, there will not be a flight to our area until mid afternoon which would amount to about 4 hours at the least of hanging around the airport.

The other option, would be to get off the ship very early (walk off), pick up a rental car and head over to Fort Myers airport. The flights from there also leave around mid afternoon.

A plus for RSW would be we get out of the mess of Port Everglades and FLL in the very early morning. We could take our time driving to Fort Myers and would have time to stop for a nice lunch before arriving at the airport. I cannot imagine that RSW would be the madhouse on that day that FLL will be.

I would like your opinions on this plan. Is RSW a fairly easy airport? What do you think of the drive from FLL to Fort Myers on a Saturday morning? Mapquest quotes around 2 hours or so for the drive - is this reasonable or should we allow more?

The flight costs right now are very comparable with RSW having a very small advantage. All flights we are considering are non stop.

Thank you for any help or ideas you may have!

Well, since the new airport opened 2 yrs. ago, it is much easier to traverse. Security checkpoints are well placed; & usually move quickly. There is not a lot of space/seating outside of the secured areas in the main part of the terminal. There are some nice dining choices though. However, during "season" RSW gets very crowded, most especially at the curbside. Depending on what part of Dec. you might have large crowds coming as well as going. With that said, it probably will be lighter than the masses at FLL. The only drawback I can see is that you probably will have to change planes somewhere to get to OH; where you would likely be able to get a nonstop out of FLL or MIA.

Well, since the new airport opened 2 yrs. ago, it is much easier to traverse. Security checkpoints are well placed; & usually move quickly. There is not a lot of space/seating outside of the secured areas in the main part of the terminal. There are some nice dining choices though. However, during "season" RSW gets very crowded, most especially at the curbside. Depending on what part of Dec. you might have large crowds coming as well as going. With that said, it probably will be lighter than the masses at FLL. The only drawback I can see is that you probably will have to change planes somewhere to get to OH; where you would likely be able to get a nonstop out of FLL or MIA.

Thank you for your reply. We are flying back to Indianapolis so we can get a straight flight from either FLL or RSW. That was a big consideration in our decision of using RSW for our flight home.

We will be flying back on Dec 20 which is the Saturday before Christmas. Not going to be easy either way, but I just cannot fathom the mess that FLL will be that day with regular travelers and 9 cruise ships worth of people too!

How is the drive from Fort Lauderdale to RSW? Difficult traffic wise or not too bad?

Appreciate any ideas.

I haven't used the 'new' RSW but the old one was pretty good.....

We too flew out of FLL in Jan iwth 9 ships...(and we stayed 2 days after, thus we flew out on a Sat...)

DISASTER does not adequately describe FLL!! People everywhere....could not get to wheelchairs due to people plopped in front of them with all their crAp!~liness were LONG!!!!!!!!!!

next time, i will look to see how many ships are in port!

if it isn't too much for you, RSW might work!

We often do what you've described, because we frequently head over to the West Coast to visit my parents in Marco Island before or after a cruise. We typically fly into FLL, but fly home from RSW. The drive from Ft. Lauderdale to RSW is very simple...it generally takes about 1.5 hours (two hours possibly if you hit a lot of traffic, but we never have).

I love the Ft. Myers airport. Very nice and easy to navigate. Dropping off a rental car couldn't be easier. It's right across on the grounds of the terminal. You literally drop the car off and walk across the sidewalk and you are inside the terminal.

If that is an option for you, I'd do the drive over to RSW.

I haven't used the 'new' RSW but the old one was pretty good.....

We too flew out of FLL in Jan iwth 9 ships...(and we stayed 2 days after, thus we flew out on a Sat...)

DISASTER does not adequately describe FLL!! People everywhere....could not get to wheelchairs due to people plopped in front of them with all their crAp!~liness were LONG!!!!!!!!!!

next time, i will look to see how many ships are in port!

if it isn't too much for you, RSW might work!

Thank you for describing your experience at FLL. I think we will be leaning toward RSW for the flight home. I do not think any airport in Florida will be easy on the Saturday before Christmas, but it sure seems that FLL will be a zoo.

It's a breeze! Once you wend your way out of the Port Everglades area, it's a straight shot onto I-75 west. Follow the signs that say "Naples". There will be one toll booth just at the outer edge of civilization leaving the FLL suburbs. No toll anymore on the western end. I-75 turns north. You can get off at Corkscrew Rd. (exit #123) or Alico Rd. (exit #128); turn left & follow the airport signs from there. If you have some time to kill, there is a large outlet mall (Miromar) on Corkscrew Rd. Some great stores & restaurants.

OP, you've come up with a GREAT idea. If I were in your shoes, I would opt for RSW.

Amazingly, our ship will be the only one in Port Everglades when we return! So I'm hoping FLL is civilized that day.

Thank you for describing your experience at FLL. I think we will be leaning toward RSW for the flight home. I do not think any airport in Florida will be easy on the Saturday before Christmas, but it sure seems that FLL will be a zoo.

you're welcome......hope it works out...and yes, FLL will be a zoo........

RSW is fantastic. The rental car return will be very easy as the rental cars are directly across from the terminal so it's a minute walk. The airport is new, very clean and very well run. Even during the height of season they have everything down pat and the lines run smoothly.

There won't be any where to stop for lunch until you get on this side and hit Naples. Depending on what you're looking for either I or the other poster from Naples could give you some hints on where to go. You can also wait until you get up towards the airport as there is a mall right as you get off for the airport. They have a large Bass Pro Shop and many other store and places to eat there. It is completely on your way and about a 5 minute drive from the airport.

I live in Naples and it takes me about and hour and 20 minutes to get to FLL so figure about and hour and 45 minutes from FLL to RSW. You will hit one toll on the east coast of Florida and that will be it. There are 2 very clean rest stops along Alligator Alley (one on each side) and midway through there is also an Indian reservation that has food, gas, and bathrooms.

Thank you all so much for your kind replies! I really think that RSW sounds like the way to go. How nice that you have a new airport like that! It also seems that the flights from my area are less expensive flying into and out of RSW which makes the airport all the more attractive.

If we do take the RSW flight home, we will be getting off the ship very early and picking up the car by 8:30am. That will give us plenty of time to drive across Florida and stop for a nice lunch before getting to the airport. I will write down your suggestions for the exits and I am sure we will be able to find a nice, relaxing place to have lunch before the flight.

I am just so pleased with all of your responses, as it makes our decision so much easier. I was dreading FLL with 9 ships in port and was having visions of people, people everywhere!!!!! Lines for security out to the garage and everyone in a foul mood because of all the delays and mass humanity as far as the eye can see.

You all are great :)

I think you are over-stating the mass confusion at FLL, since not all 9 ships worth of people go there, or even to the same terminal. Mid-afternoon will be a lot calmer. But if you have nothing better to do and want something to kill time, driving to Fort Myers sounds like a good way to do it.

I think you are over-stating the mass confusion at FLL, since not all 9 ships worth of people go there, or even to the same terminal. Mid-afternoon will be a lot calmer. But if you have nothing better to do and want something to kill time, driving to Fort Myers sounds like a good way to do it.

With all due respect, Dan, I've never seen such airport crowds, lines and chaos as at FLL (except maybe San Juan). Maybe you've been lucky to be there on a light day - count your blessings!:)

With all due respect, Dan, I've never seen such airport crowds, lines and chaos as at FLL (except maybe San Juan). Maybe you've been lucky to be there on a light day - count your blessings!:)

Have you flown into or out of MIA on a Sat. or Sun?

Thank you all so much for your kind replies! I really think that RSW sounds like the way to go. How nice that you have a new airport like that! It also seems that the flights from my area are less expensive flying into and out of RSW which makes the airport all the more attractive.

If we do take the RSW flight home, we will be getting off the ship very early and picking up the car by 8:30am. That will give us plenty of time to drive across Florida and stop for a nice lunch before getting to the airport. I will write down your suggestions for the exits and I am sure we will be able to find a nice, relaxing place to have lunch before the flight.

I am just so pleased with all of your responses, as it makes our decision so much easier. I was dreading FLL with 9 ships in port and was having visions of people, people everywhere!!!!! Lines for security out to the garage and everyone in a foul mood because of all the delays and mass humanity as far as the eye can see.

You all are great :)

Palm Beach International airport (PBI) is no more than 40 minutes north of FLL and is great airport option without a multi-hour drive.

• 4 years later...

I have the same questions but I notice most of the replies that I am finding are a bit old. So, I am posting for any updated opinions or experience. We are booked on a cruise for January 2013 and now I am having troubles with airline arrangements. 2 months out and most flights are almost full to FLL from ORD. Except for first class. Cruise traffic? They are selling the worst seats on one United flight, Economy, for over 1000 on our return. Booking what is available, I am looking at over 800 each for two of us. However, going to RSW I am getting flights with plenty of seats for 480 each, Round Trip.

My original plan was to go out a day early and book a hotel in Ft Laiuderdale, to allow flexibility if there is a delay. Can't miss the boat. If we go to RSW, I can swing down to Marco Island, spend a day and not need a hotel. Then drive to Ft Lauderdale Saturday Morning. I see on Google Maps, it is about 2 Hours on i75. I can't imagine car rental and gas costing more than what we seem to be saving.

Before I pull the trigger on the reservation, Any thoughts, tips or info about returning a rent a car, picking up another after the cruise, getting into the port from i75...

Thanks for all experienced help.

I have the same questions but I notice most of the replies that I am finding are a bit old. So, I am posting for any updated opinions or experience. We are booked on a cruise for January 2013 and now I am having troubles with airline arrangements. 2 months out and most flights are almost full to FLL from ORD. Except for first class. Cruise traffic? They are selling the worst seats on one United flight, Economy, for over 1000 on our return. Booking what is available, I am looking at over 800 each for two of us. However, going to RSW I am getting flights with plenty of seats for 480 each, Round Trip.

My original plan was to go out a day early and book a hotel in Ft Laiuderdale, to allow flexibility if there is a delay. Can't miss the boat. If we go to RSW, I can swing down to Marco Island, spend a day and not need a hotel. Then drive to Ft Lauderdale Saturday Morning. I see on Google Maps, it is about 2 Hours on i75. I can't imagine car rental and gas costing more than what we seem to be saving.

Before I pull the trigger on the reservation, Any thoughts, tips or info about returning a rent a car, picking up another after the cruise, getting into the port from i75...

Thanks for all experienced help.

Have you checked Southwest from Midway?

2 months out and most flights are almost full to FLL from ORD. Except for first class. Cruise traffic? They are selling the worst seats on one United flight, Economy, for over 1000 on our return. Booking what is available, I am looking at over 800 each for two of us. However, going to RSW I am getting flights with plenty of seats for 480 each, Round Trip.
Taking the "alternative airports" approach at the Florida end, have you looked at MIA and PBI airports? Both should be pretty easy transfers to Port Everglades at Fort Lauderdale.

RSW is much easier than FLL. One idea to keep in mind is that National/Alamo Car Rental offers a free shuttle bus between the airport and the port if you have a reservation, so that's a possible way to avoid a taxi. I haven't done it from port to airport, but we did it from airport to port and it worked flawlessly.

Another question about FLL if I may. We are flying out tomorrow 10.25am on AA in First several days after our cruise finished. We are staying currently at Fort Lauderdale Beach. I thought with that early flight we'd beat the cruise rush but reading this thread prompted me to check and I see a mere 8 cruise ships are in tomorrow morning befoe 6.00am :eek: though of course they won't be disembarking that early. I guess we are about 30 minutes from the airport. What time would the experts advise us to get to the airport in these circumtances? I was planning to leave the hotel around 8.00am by taxi but maybe that is a little late given what I'm reading.

Another question about FLL if I may. We are flying out tomorrow 10.25am on AA in First several days after our cruise finished. We are staying currently at Fort Lauderdale Beach. I thought with that early flight we'd beat the cruise rush but reading this thread prompted me to check and I see a mere 8 cruise ships are in tomorrow morning befoe 6.00am :eek: though of course they won't be disembarking that early. I guess we are about 30 minutes from the airport. What time would the experts advise us to get to the airport in these circumtances? I was planning to leave the hotel around 8.00am by taxi but maybe that is a little late given what I'm reading.

If you're in First, you will be able to skip the biggest line for check in, and the biggest line for security. When we took a cruise back in February, we left FLL on AA in F class and check-in took about 5 minutes, security about 5 minutes...this was at about 11:00am. The lines for the "regular" passengers were very long, but for F class...quite easy.

Just one example but that was my experience at FLL on AA in F class. Getting there 2 hours ahead is more than enough.

We will be on Oasis on January 26. As for other flights, a friend suggested going out of RFD to PBI. That had me looking into the other alternatives. Seems that AA is only Non Stop option from ORD to PBi and not much cheaper than going to RSW. Still looking at those. I am trying to stick with United though, due to flier miles and award points on my Mileage Plus Visa. I find no flights from RFD. Did they stop operating them? My friend said that is how he goes. MKE and MDW only seem to have flights with stops. Didn't check SW though. Besides, I am a little North of Chicago and MDW is a bit of a pain. MKE would have, probably, been easier than Midway. I did look at MIA. Not a lot different than FLL. Flights are pricey at as much as 500 with limited seats available. Not as bad as the 1000 on that UAL flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Seems that the outbound flights are ok but they jack up the return fares. On United, at Least.

RSW still seems attractive but it has been about 10 years since I flew from there. So, I am interested in learning of changes that I read about. New airport? I remember old days going to Marco with my dad. Flying to Miami and driving across. Seemed like an eternity on Tamiami Trail. Then we used to fly on Martin 404s and DC 3s to Naples/Marco. Oh, the memories.

Last time I was down there, I drove from Ft Myers on I75. I almost missed my turn to Marco and, as I understand, next place to turn around would have been FLL. ???

Archived