Enforcement of Cuiseline Policies (Smoking or otherwise)

cruzmaven

I posted the following on the thread about the new Celebrity Smoking policies:

-----------------------------

Although I am in favor of and appreciate the new policy, these are my concerns:

1. Celebrity isn't going to do enough to advertise this policy. Smokers who are already booked or booking now, are not going to be advised of the policy and are going to find out of the policy for the first time after they board. The vast majority of people who cruise don't read the boards and don't read their cruise documents. I don't think its fair to sell cruises without making this policy known at time of booking and without X notifying each passenger who already has booked of the new policy. I don't see this happending. This is going to lead to ill will and confrontations.

2. Once on board with or without prior notice of the new policy some smokers will ignore the policy leading to frustration by non-smokers and posible confrontations. I do not believe crew and staff will actively enforce the policy. Think about the policy about bringing alcohol on board and how people ignore and get around that, and the policy against saving lounges and how that policy it totally ignored and not enforced. I'm sure others can name other policies which are ignored by passengers and not enforced. Again this leads to frustration and ill will and diminishes the cruise experience.

My general experience on 15+ cruises is that a certain % of passengers are just rude and care little about cruiseline policy or the comfort of their fellow passengers. (I'm not singling out smokers here, I'm talking about people who cut lines, reserve lounges all day without using them, talk loudly during shows. etc.) The staff and crew, trying to accomodate everyone and avoid confrontations do little to enforce policies. This is just going to be one more policy that will not be enforced, leading to unmet expectations by passengers seeking a non-smoking experience.

SO what's the answer, Cruise Police? Probably not. But I wouldn't rejoice over this announcement, or curse it just yet, until we see if X is going to take it seriously or is just announcing it to appease their insurance co.

--------------------------

Immediately after the comment posted, Host Andy locked the thread stating people were going off topic.

I don't think I was off topic but if I was I appologize. The point is valid though. Regardless of what policies a cruiseline has, they don't mean much if they are not enforced. Moreover, it is that lack of enforcement which in many cases is what detracts from the cruising experience, even moreso than the offending conduct.

I've been on a good number of cruises (15+) on several different lines (Celebrity, Princess, RCI, Disney, Carnival). On every line, I see children in adult only pools and areas, people disregard dresscodes at dinners, people save lounges all day without using them, etc., etc. I have yet to see a staff or crew member go up to an offending passenger without being prompted by another passenger. Further, when these matters are brought to the attention of staff and crew they do little if anything to enforce the policy because they do not want confrontations with belligerent paying passengers. This leaves the offending party upset at the crew or staff for having the nerve to bother them about their conduct, and the non-offending party upset about the lack of enforcement. My attitude is to get past it and enjoy my vacation but I see other people take these matters very seriously. I've seen several heated confrontations over lounge chairs and I bet most people on these boards have seen the same.

So, my point regarding the new smoking policy is simply that its too soon to either be rejoicing over it or jumping ship. Until we see if X is going to embrace the new policy, actively advertise it and more importantly actively enforce it, and not leave it up to other passengers to enforce it. Otherwise, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Given what I've seen the past, I wouldn't be surprised if when you are on your Soltice balcony and your neighbor lights up that Cuban he just bought in St Martin, you can call customer service and complain but the cigar will be long gone before a crew member knocks on your neighbor's door.

...Immediately after the comment posted, Host Andy locked the thread stating people were going off topic.

I don't think I was off topic but if I was I appologize. ...

Let's address this.

1. Andy did not lock the thread. I did. Andy posted the original post and I posted the last post that explained why the thread was locked.

2. The original post was fine, as are all replies that still appear on that thread. The off topic posts are no longer visible because they were removed by either me or my co-Host, Anne. Therefore it is impossible for any members to understand how bad the posts to the thread had become.

3. Anne and I tried hard to leave the thread alive by pruning out the off topic posts and the posts containing personal shots and flames as soon as they were posted and by posting multile requests that members stay within our guidelines. We failed. The off topics, shots and flames continued and were pruned out after each request. That's why the thread was locked.

Once again, I respectfully request that any who choose to reply to this topic do so by staying on topic and without rancor.

Be advised that we will close this thread without any further warnings if my request is ignored.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

I

So, my point regarding the new smoking policy is simply that its too soon to either be rejoicing over it or jumping ship. Until we see if X is going to embrace the new policy, actively advertise it and more importantly actively enforce it, and not leave it up to other passengers to enforce it. Otherwise, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

I have a feeling that most passengers will be very proactive about getting the cruise line to enforce the smoking policy.

Walt is correct, he locked the thread not Andy. My mistake. Also since my post was not deleted I'll assume my post did not cause the thead to be locked. It just seemed that way since it was locked immediately after the comment posted. My comments were not meant to enflame smokers (no pun intended) or non-smokers but to speak to the significance of policies which don't seem to be enforced. Or even if such policies can be enforced in a cruise setting.

I think regardless of cruiseline policy its really up to the passengers to make the cruise experience enjoyable for all by having common curtesy when it comes to the issues I've addressed. Unfortunately there are those people who just don't seem to care.

I have a feeling that most passengers will be very proactive about getting the cruise line to enforce the smoking policy.

I'd think that any smoker who will flout the policy would do so stealthily. I imagine they could smoke in their stateroom loo without arousing any suspicion from their neighbors, for starters.

I certainly hope this is not off topic:

I think the smokers on Celebrity will make sure all policies as stated in the Guest Conduct Policy is followed to the letter.

Thank you for letting us express our opinion. Host Andy, Walt and Anne, have been very busy today, deleting post and closing topics.

To the OP...

Isn't it the job of security to confront non conforming passengers??? I don't mean for security to deal with chair hogs and the kids who are in the adult pools and area. I would think enforcing a no smoking policy should be the job of security and not leave it up to a cabin attendant or any crew member. If I were to see someone smoking in a non smoking area, I would not hesitate to call security. This is the only way the point will get across to the folks who will dare to not abide by the rules.

Enforcing onboard policies of any kind are a "darned if you, darned if you don't" situation for X or any other cruise line; either way, someone's nose is going to be out of joint. That said, if someone's nose has to be out of joint, I wish it was the nose of the someone flouting company policy, i.e., smoking, chair hogging, diapers in pool, dress code, etc.

By SECURITY...do mean the POLICE!

I think most of the smokers will be policing everyone, chair hogs, children in the pool and with alcohol in their staterooms ie: balconies, and reporting their findings loud and clearly to anyone who will listen.

Let's just enforce all the Guest Relation Policies which you can find on the Celebrity web site under FAQ.

blong2200, I really did sympathize with you before, since you are rightfully upset that the product you contracted for is no longer the product you expected.

But how far is it going to go? Now your vacation is sounding more like an ordeal to be suffered through rather than a getaway. You're going to spend your time on the ship ensuring that ALL policies are followed and trying to interfere with other passengers who have done absolutely nothing to you? That's just sour grapes and plain rude, if you ask me.

If you're going to be mad, feel free to be angry at Celebrity. But taking it out on your fellow passengers instead is awfully low.

SusieV: I bet if you see someone smoking on their balcony after being told they can't you would report them, correct?

I don't want to have to enforce the rules or policies for anyone: I just think that Celebrity should make sure that all the Guest Conduct Policies are enforced, not just the ones having to do with smoking on balconies, etc.

You can read the read the Guest Conduct Policies on the Celebrity website under FAQ.

Sorry, but I think fair is fair, and if I have to abide by the policies I really think everyone should be it sneaking alcohol on board, dress code, smoking areas, children, etc.

At least once a week someone writes on this forums asking for suggestions on how to 'sneak alcohol on board'. Do a search and you will see. Police them just as you would the smokers.

SusieV: I bet if you see someone smoking on their balcony after being told they can't you would report them, correct?

I don't want to have to enforce the rules or policies for anyone: I just think that Celebrity should make sure that all the Guest Conduct Policies are enforced, not just the ones having to do with smoking on balconies, etc.

You can read the read the Guest Conduct Policies on the Celebrity website under FAQ.

Sorry, but I think fair is fair, and if I have to abide by the policies I really think everyone should be it sneaking alcohol on board, dress code, smoking areas, children, etc.

At least once a week someone writes on this forums asking for suggestions on how to 'sneak alcohol on board'. Do a search and you will see. Police them just as you would the smokers.

I agree: enforce all policies without favoritism, including the sanctions for each.

Are you willing to agree to abide by the smoking policy on Celebrity or, if not, sail with another cruise line that will allow you to smoke in your stateroom?

To the OP...

Isn't it the job of security to confront non conforming passengers??? I don't mean for security to deal with chair hogs and the kids who are in the adult pools and area. I would think enforcing a no smoking policy should be the job of security and not leave it up to a cabin attendant or any crew member. If I were to see someone smoking in a non smoking area, I would not hesitate to call security. This is the only way the point will get across to the folks who will dare to not abide by the rules.

If it is Security's job to enforce non-conforming smokers, why would it not be their job to enforce non-conforming chair hogs, kids in hot tubs and dress code violators? The rules are the rules....enforce all of them or none.....quite simple actually.

I would only report them if their rulebreaking was affecting my enjoyment of the cruise. I'm not going to get on someone's case because I feel like being a b*tch.

On my last cruise, there was a guest smoking cigars on the veranda next to us in the evenings. However, he smoked them in the ten minutes before we left for dinner and at no other time. That didn't affect us at all, so despite the fact that cigar smoking has never been allowed on verandas, we never reported him. Had the smoking been an issue, we would have attempted to discuss it with him prior to contacting Guest Relations.

I only care about the rules inasmuch as one guest's rights end where mine begin. Otherwise, why should I care? I post my opinions here, but I'd never say anything onboard unless it affected me.

I agree that Celebrity should enforce all their policies, I would be very happy if they did. But I'm not going out of my way to do it for them unless I'm getting paid!

If you're going to be mad, feel free to be angry at Celebrity. But taking it out on your fellow passengers instead is awfully low.

Forgive me here, but who do you think it was that got Celebrity to implement such restrictive changes?

Forgive me here, but who do you think it was that got Celebrity to implement such restrictive changes?

That would be a stereotype, unless you just assume that every single nonsmoking passenger demanded that Celebrity ban smoking from cabins and balconies.

For example, many smokers here say not to tar them with that brush, they are considerate smokers. Well, if you don't want to be stereotyped, you may wish not to do it to others.

We're happy this policy change took place, but we didn't ask for it, for example.

I certainly don't advocate smuggling alcohol on board, but how are you going to 'police' that? You don't have access to other pax's cabiins so how would you know where their alcohol came from? BTW, I abide by the dress codes when I cruise, but I would never in a million years call someone out, either to the staff or the pax in question on what they're wearing. To me, that would be really petty because what other people are wearing has absolutely no impact on me. You do sound bitter.

By SECURITY...do mean the POLICE!

I think most of the smokers will be policing everyone, chair hogs, children in the pool and with alcohol in their staterooms ie: balconies, and reporting their findings loud and clearly to anyone who will listen.

Let's just enforce all the Guest Relation Policies which you can find on the Celebrity web site under FAQ.

I don't mean the Police. Don't all cruise lines have a security department??? DH and I called security after being woken up at 3:00am by several drunk teens who resided across the hall from us in two separate cabins. The girls were in one cabin and the guys in another. This happened two nights in a row on a RCCL ship and we were afraid it was going to be a continuous problem for the rest of the week. Security took care of the problem immediately and stopped all further disturbances. We received a formed letter from security stating the teens were told they would be put off at the next port if the disturbances continued. RCCL comped us a meal for two in their specialty restaurant for the inconvenience.

Isn't that what security is for??? I would imagine, Celebrity may have to increase their security staff inititally to enforce the non smoking policy.

I certainly hope this is not off topic:

I think the smokers on Celebrity will make sure all policies as stated in the Guest Conduct Policy is followed to the letter.

Thank you for letting us express our opinion. Host Andy, Walt and Anne, have been very busy today, deleting post and closing topics.

I thought they all cancelled?

Probably the lawyers after they saw the effects of the Princess fire.

Princess installed sprinklers on their balconies from what I have learned. Major dollars for that work. Insurers write the protocols, not the lawyers. Ships are still more guest friendly than X to date too.

Archived