Famous People?

HamOp

While I am not overly impressed by being in the company of the "rich and famous", we did have an ABC news anchor dine at the table behind us in the PG on the Noordam out of NYC.

Have you ever had a famous person on the same cruise? What ship and when?

While we didn't actually cruise with her, we very much enjoyed the time we had with Marlee Matilin on Noordam during the Dedication/Naming. It was so much fun watching how well she did on Dancing with the Stars. We certainly were cheering her on and thrilled how well she did. We also enjoyed seeing her Interpreter....the same gentleman who accompanied her to Noordam.

Back in the late 1990s I had the shocked joy of meeting, and dining for 16 days aboard the Maasdam, with Olivia de Havilland. She was a VERY classy lady, witty, elegant, welcoming, warm, and real.

We did a routine from the Loony Toons Cartoon: "A Wild Hare" in the talent show. I played Elmer Fudd, looking for Buggs Bunny with my trusty rifle, and she came out on stage behind me dressed like Bugs and put her hands over my eyes

Bugs Bunny (Ms. deHavilland): Guess who?

Elmer Fudd (Me): Heddy Wamarr?

Bugs Bunny: No.

Elmer Fudd: Bawbwa Stanwyck?

Bugs Bunny: Nope.

Elmer Fudd: Wosemawy Wane?

Bugs Bunny: Nope. But you're getting warm, Doc. Guess again.

Elmer Fudd: Owivia De Haviwand?

Bugs Bunny: Ehh... could be!

Our fellow passengers gave us a standing ovation.

She was GREAT! I just wish she were not so much of a recluse now. She lives in Paris and doesn't travel much anymore (of course, I think she's 92 or something like that).

Back in the late 1990s I had the shocked joy of meeting, and dining for 16 days aboard the Maasdam, with Olivia de Havilland. She was a VERY classy lady, witty, elegant, welcoming, warm, and real.

We did a routine from the Loony Toons Cartoon: "A Wild Hare" in the talent show. I played Elmer Fudd, looking for Buggs Bunny with my trusty rifle, and she came out on stage behind me dressed like Bugs and put her hands over my eyes

She was GREAT! I just wish she were not so much of a recluse now. She lives in Paris and doesn't travel much anymore (of course, I think she's 92 or something like that).

That has to be the best celebrity story in the history of celebrity stories coming out of the Maasdam, if not HAL.

Wish we could have been there.

On the Westerdam Baltic Cruise a couple of summers ago there was a

Star Trek group, and a number of the stars of the show were on the

cruise.

As we sat down for dinner the first night, one of dining companions facing the door to the dining room commented that she saw some man she thought she recognized from his being in film and tv.

I looked around and there was John de Lancie. I happen to work with his wife. It was fun when I sat down at her table the next day in the Lido.

The whole Westerdam got in the spirit Star Trek and there were lots of

quotes and references to the shows among the passengers on that

cruise.

Meg Ryan was on our cruise to Alaska on Westerdam July 2006. She frequented the Neptune lounge quite a bit and I never saw anyone bother or approach her. I hope she had an absolutely delightful cruise.

Of those who come to mind immediately...

Walter Cronkite (CBS News Anchor) and his late wife on Crystal Harmony - I was honored to dine at the same (Captain's) table with them.

Howard K. Smith (ABC News Anchor) - Crystal Harmony D-Day cruise.

Bob Hope - 1957 - SS United States

Rosalind Russell - 1959 - RMS Queen Elizabeth

Walt Disney and his family - 1951 - SS Independence

Chris Browne and his wife - current cartoonist and son of the creator of Hagar the Horrible - Crystal Symphony (and they dressed as Hagar and Helga for certain events on board and ashore)

Our most recent cruise to Mexico had Jerry Lewis and family on board. I did get to meet him and he is so funny. He accidently knocked over a water glass at dinner, complete silence, then that famous cackle of his and his words "They used to pay me to do stuff like this". Nice man.

We used to cruise a lot on the QEII before Carnival took it over and traveled with many celebrities ... Bill Cosby, Petula Clark, Marvin Hamlisch, Victor Borge (who brought his whole family on board for a cruise for his 85th birthday celebration), Terence Stamp, Lucie Arnaz (who is one of the most sweetest and nicecelebrity we have ever met), old time newsreel announcer Ed Herlihy, news broadcaster Edwin Newman, Marty Brill, Wayne Fontana (of the 60s British group the Mindbenders).

On the QM2 a few years ago we met Karen Allen who was very nice and mingled with all passengers.

Not so far, but I'll be drowining in 'em on GalactiCruise in September ... all the stars of the original series will be on the cruise and we'll be dining with them, attending panel discussions with them, doing shore excursions with them ... you name it.

Other than that, no one really famous ... other than myself, of course. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Richard Simmons was actually leading "weight loss classes" onboard a cruise we were on... can you believe that!! A weight loss class on a 15 day cruise!! Yea right!! Just what I want to do on a cruise is LOSE weight :D

We were in the elevator with him, and he was cordial, but very reserved and quiet... much different from the bouncy outgoing personality he is on TV.

Kathy Griffin and her (now ex) Husband - aboard Oosterdam.

Lorna Luft & her husband as well as Matthew McConaughey - aboard Oosterdam

Captain & Mrs Stephen Card - aboard Noordam.

Mr & Mrs Richard Dreyfus - aboard Volendam.

Then of course, we nicknamed our friend "LadyBird" aboard Noordam - and for the rest of the cruise we would hear folks saying to one another "Did you know LadyBird Johnson is in the Penthouse?"

:D

Then of course, we nicknamed our friend "LadyBird" aboard Noordam - and for the rest of the cruise we would hear folks saying to one another "Did you know LadyBird Johnson is in the Penthouse?"

:D

I didn't know that last part, Brian. That's too funny.

While I am not overly impressed by being in the company of the "rich and famous", we did have an ABC news anchor dine at the table behind us in the PG on the Noordam out of NYC.

Roseann Barr on NCL Spirit (Southern Carribean)

Oh Greg:

I really envy you, Olivia De Havilland has always been one of my favorites of the old Hollywood clan. I have always thought her to be a very, very classy lady and I'm happy to hear that she is indeed all that I thought that she would be.

Valerie:)

Since I tend to take the longer cruises I have had the opportunity to mix and mingle with a few of the "rich and famous". The only two that come to mind right now (although I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit the "send button") are: Burt Bacharach (1998 Rotterdam Inaugural GWV) and Dick Cavett (2007 Amsterdam GWV).

Oh yes, on the 1998 GWV we also had about 10 members of the Radio City Rockettes - does that count?:D

Since I tend to take the longer cruises I have had the opportunity to mix and mingle with a few of the "rich and famous". The only two that come to mind right now (although I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit the "send button") are: Burt Bacharach (1998 Rotterdam Inaugural GWV) and Dick Cavett (2007 Amsterdam GWV).

Oh yes, on the 1998 GWV we also had about 10 members of the Radio City Rockettes - does that count?:D

Dang right that counts!;) Did they perform with them long legs?

BTW, we were on a HAL cruise once where one of the dancers in the cast was leaving because she had just been offered a contract with the Rockettes

Gee I certainly can't compete with these celebrities! We did have an actress from "All My Children" on one of my cruises back in the 90s I think, Or maybe it was even longer ago than that. She was a regular, but then I never saw her on the show again after the cruise.

Archived