Let's Pick a Date.....

sail7seas

I am predicting that HAL will announce the end of formal nights.

If you agree that is probably going to happen, when do you think they will officially announce it?

Really depends on how soon other air lines besides American start to charge for each piece of luggage and people cut back to just one piece. Once that happens and the Lido gets packed with people not carrying clothes for formal nights, then the cruise lines may take a closer look as to what to do about formal nights.

And there goes the Black and White Ball on most longer cruises.

Really depends on how soon other air lines besides American start to charge for each piece of luggage and people cut back to just one piece. Once that happens and the Lido gets packed with people not carrying clothes for formal nights, then the cruise lines may take a closer look as to what to do about formal nights.

And there goes the Black and White Ball on most longer cruises.

Krazy Kruizers - I have to agree with your point of view. Packing for travel and cruising in particular is becoming very difficult. How big can my suitcase be and still only weight 50 lbs.:rolleyes:

I think the day (IF there is such a day) they move to one formal night per week, will be the day they are ending formal nights. Even I would stop bringing tuxedo and long dresses..... wouldn't be worth it to pack the extra shoes, purse, tuxedo, dress, formal shirt etc to wear once. IMO I don't mind paying for an extra suitcase, I just wouldn't want the bother of extra packing and planning for a one night formal cruise when I fully suspect few others would be dressed in anything approaching a 'real' definition of formal. We would stick with blazer for DH and what I would have worn on Informal nights in the past....when HAL had such a thing.

I think about the first of 2009, we will start to hear Formal Optional type announcements. JMHO

(KK.... We just bought DH a new white dinner jacket last week. I normally would only bring a black tuxedo for Canada/New England but think we'll bring it in August. Make sure he gets a few wearings before we wave 'adios' to formal night. I honestly believe it is dying a slow and painful death as we speak.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but my husband and I are on a charter cruise on the Noordam in 2 1/2 weeks. No formal or semi-formal nights. There are 4 casual nights and 3 smart-casual nights. Casual meaning slacks and casual shirts like polos. Smart casual meaning slacks and collared, button down shirts.

How big can my suitcase be and still only weight 50 lbs.:rolleyes:
Length+width+height can't exceed 62" right now.

They may also cut down the amount of formal nights on a 7 day cruise from 2 to 1 before the do away with them all together.
But that doesn't help with the baggage problem. That will just encourage more people to Lido-out on formal night.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but my husband and I are on a charter cruise on the Noordam in 2 1/2 weeks. No formal or semi-formal nights. There are 4 casual nights and 3 smart-casual nights. Casual meaning slacks and casual shirts like polos. Smart casual meaning slacks and collared, button down shirts.

I think the fact that your sailing is a charter does make a difference. I would guess that whatever group bought out the ship determined certain specifics for the sailing, including the evening dress code.

April 1, 2118

;)

Long before that! :) :) But can't they find a venue for those who like formal nights? :confused: I am going to make sure my suit fits (been a long time since I was a pallbearer) and pack it because there is a formal night and that is as formal as I have been since hi school. :)

I've been on AZ ( resort casual ) and a charter on the Royal Clipper which has a no tie policy and I prefer those cruises.

I honestly hope they don't do away with formal nights before our Oct/09 Mediterranean cruise. Our whole family is going (all adult kids) and I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone around the dinner table all dressed up. We've done it before at home and occasionally at a restaurant, but we've never experienced it on a cruise ship.

I like RevNeal's and Copper10-8's dates, but I'll put my vote in for the day afer there's a female pope in The Vatican.:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If they do decide to eliminate formal nights, I feel sorry for the families who are on the ships with their children. When our sons were young, it was a ritual every year to pose for the formal photos that night on board. Now that our sons are all grown up and cruising with their spouses, DH and I look back at those beautiful family formal photos with tears in our eyes and gratitude in our hearts. When else or how often would we have all been "gussied up" year after year and have the photo memories to reflect on???:rolleyes:

Archived