if you have to chose the best cruise director from royalcaribbean who would it be

We've been fortunate enough to have had several great cruise directors on past cruises and only a very few who were forgettable. Not sure that I can pick a "best", but certainly Joff Eaton, Clo O'Connor(with whom we will be sailing with again in a little more than a week:D), Bobby Brown, Richard Spacey, James Andrews, and Kirk Detweiler are at the top of my list.

One of the best is definately Mike Szwajkowski, we have had him on 2 cruises and he has so much energy and personality. A close second would have to be Joff Eaton, we had him on our trans-atlantic and really enjoyed him as well.

Becky Thompson was the only one who made a positive impression. The rest have faded into one big blur of "Do these elevators go to the rear of the ship?"

And yet when Becky was an Assistant CD on Brilliance of the Seas and Clo was the CD, I found Becky's over the top, overly-enthusiastic, bubbly personality to be grating, especially in contrast to Clo's more laid back, subtle humor and personality. She certainly had a large and loyal following, but just don't count me among her admirers, which is why I don't include her in my lists of great CD's. Chacon a son gout!;)

• 5 years later...
When did Richard go to Celebrity? :(

He took a landside job about 4 years ago with Celebrity's entertainment division in Miami, and then about 1 year later, he went back to being a CD. I don't have the exact dates handy - I would have to search the CD thread.

He took a landside job about 4 years ago with Celebrity's entertainment division in Miami, and then about 1 year later, he went back to being a CD. I don't have the exact dates handy - I would have to search the CD thread.

He was on Freedom of the Seas in 2013 when I was on it. He was seriously my favorite!

He was on Freedom of the Seas in 2013 when I was on it. He was seriously my favorite!

You are right, he left RCI for Celebrity on Jan 17, 2014. Worked in corporate for a short time, and then went back to being a CD July 2014.

My date estimates in the post above were a bit off.

Edited by DonnaK

Well this is an oldie.....

It goes to show how subjective this is, we had Graham Seymour on an Explorer cruise last year and did not like him at all, a lot of other cruisers were in the same mindset as us. We've also sailed with Richard Spacey and again did not rate him, I know he's really popular but I just don't 'get' it. We liked John Blair, Allan Brooks and also Carly Boileau.

I always wondered what was all the fuss about Richard Spacey, never having sailed with him but never having had a CD who made a huge impression. However, having sailed on Celebrity Reflection with him as CD last year I now understand. I thought he was outstanding, and really looking forward to having him as CD again later this year.

We loved Joff. Also really enjoyed Leigh but he was fired and went to Carnival. Wonder where Leigh would have been this summer?

HATED John Blair- sailed with him on Enchantment and Anthem- both times extremely loud and annoying and was never around the ship on Anthem. He scheduled L&M at 10.30pm the last night. WTH?:confused:

Casey Pelter's a nice guy and funny but he was never around the ship and left a lot of the activities to his AM.

Jerome and Jimmy Rhodes were decent enough, but it doesn't matter at all on the Oasis Class.

Edited by Joe12

Our all time favorite is always the one that makes the fewest PA announcements.:D

The above comment was right on target seven years ago and holds true today!!!!:D