Princess Corp is watching!

cascole

In 2007, my husband and I booked a Mediterranean cruise that supposedly included tours of the Vatican in Rome. While onboard the Grand Princess, we were notified that all tours of the Vatican were cancelled for the for the day we were in Civitacchecia.

In April, 2008, we were on a Transatlantic sailing from FLL to Barcelona - this cruise was to include tours of the Vatican. While onboard the Emerald Princess, we were notified that all tours to the Vatican had been cancelled for the day we were in Civitacchecia.

We currently have a booking for April 2009 to do the same itinerary as the one on the Emerald. This time we are scheduled to be on the new Ruby Princess.

We booked this cruise again in the hope of seeing the Vatican. After booking the cruise, I did some research and found the schedule for the Vatican for 2009.

Sad to say, it just so happens it will be on May 1, 2009 - May Day in Europe. The Vatican will be closed again on the day we are scheduled to be in Rome.

I wrote to Customer Relations and received a letter earlier today stating that Princess was unaware of the holiday in Europe. I sent Princess a copy of the schedule for the Vatican in 2009 that included days open, closed. etc.

This disappointment is one that we did not expect. My question :

What department plans the itineraries for Princess? Does anyone check for holidays in ports to find out what places of interest may be open to the public and Princess passengers.

We have been on Princess fifteen times previously. After the cruise in 2009, we will have second thoughts about furture cruises with Princess especially to the Mediterranean and to Rome to visit the Vatican.

It appears to my husband and I that Princess could be a little more efficient in planning the sea days and the days that the ship will visit ports to be aware of local holidays when certain areas of may be closed.

Could a Sea Day be put in on May 1, 2009 in place of visiting a particular port - Civitacches (Rome).

In 2007, my husband and I booked a Mediterranean cruise that supposedly included tours of the Vatican in Rome. While onboard the Grand Princess, we were notified that all tours of the Vatican were cancelled for the for the day we were in Civitacchecia.

In April, 2008, we were on a Transatlantic sailing from FLL to Barcelona - this cruise was to include tours of the Vatican. While onboard the Emerald Princess, we were notified that all tours to the Vatican had been cancelled for the day we were in Civitacchecia.

We currently have a booking for April 2009 to do the same itinerary as the one on the Emerald. This time we are scheduled to be on the new Ruby Princess.

We booked this cruise again in the hope of seeing the Vatican. After booking the cruise, I did some research and found the schedule for the Vatican for 2009.

Sad to say, it just so happens it will be on May 1, 2009 - May Day in Europe. The Vatican will be closed again on the day we are scheduled to be in Rome.

I wrote to Customer Relations and received a letter earlier today stating that Princess was unaware of the holiday in Europe. I sent Princess a copy of the schedule for the Vatican in 2009 that included days open, closed. etc.

This disappointment is one that we did not expect. My question :

What department plans the itineraries for Princess? Does anyone check for holidays in ports to find out what places of interest may be open to the public and Princess passengers.

We have been on Princess fifteen times previously. After the cruise in 2009, we will have second thoughts about furture cruises with Princess especially to the Mediterranean and to Rome to visit the Vatican.

It appears to my husband and I that Princess could be a little more efficient in planning the sea days and the days that the ship will visit ports to be aware of local holidays when certain areas of may be closed.

Could a Sea Day be put in on May 1, 2009 in place of visiting a particular port - Civitacches (Rome).

I hear your frustration for it has happened to myself on a cruise in a different area.

It must be pretty difficult for Princess having to arrange all the many considerations when planning their itineraries.One of those is space in the actual port to actually dock the ship....Maybe there are only certain days when they have room for the cruise ships......there again there are other cruise lines wishing that same space........maybe each cruise line is given its own day in the week....and on it goes........

Just my insight for you.

I do empathize with you but on the other hand I can see the other side as well. Hope you do get to see The Vatican next time .......Kruisey.:)

Re the Vatican - if you really want to see it, why not schedule a pre- or post-cruise stay in Rome and visit it then? Or book a cruise that will be there when it's open.

Anytine Dining - I agree that there shouldn't be reservations. Otherwise, what's the point?

I prefer traditional dining and I don't like it when my assigned tablemates don't show up. If you don't plan to be there, don't book it. I think traditional dining no shows (those who don't give timely notice that they'll be elsewhere) should be penalized in some way.

In Dotty's defense, my visit to the Vatican (including the spectacular Sistine Chapel) was one of the highlights of my Med cruise. To have it taken away, not once, but THREE times on THREE separate cruises, is more than the usual change in itinerary, it's poor planning on the part of the cruise line.

And Princess says they are unaware of May Day? One of the most well-known European holidays, a holiday celebrated throughout the Continent which closes most attractions for the entire day weeks or months ahead of time? Are they serious???

So Dotty, my sympathies are with you. Sorry to hear of your repeated difficulties in visiting the Vatican.

In Dotty's defense, my visit to the Vatican (including the spectacular Sistine Chapel) was one of the highlights of my Med cruise. To have it taken away, not once, but THREE times on THREE separate cruises, is more than the usual change in itinerary, it's poor planning on the part of the cruise line.

And Princess says they are unaware of May Day? One of the most well-known European holidays, a holiday celebrated throughout the Continent which closes most attractions for the entire day weeks or months ahead of time? Are they serious???

So Dotty, my sympathies are with you. Sorry to hear of your repeated difficulties in visiting the Vatican.

Thanks for your support. I agree wholeheartedly with you - I just do not think Princess was unaware of the holiday - In Barcelona, Spain, this year some flights were not permitted on May 1 - this is a big day for the various countries.

I think that this type of information should be made available to the passengers before booking cruises with Princess.

Dotty

We visited the Sistine chapel on an Emerald Princess excursion. The chapel was very dark and extremely crowded. What surprised me the most was seeing a Disney tour guide lollypop sign being held up in the middle of the Sistine chapel. What also surprised me was seeing six huge paintings on the left wall, six huge paintings on the right wall and six centrally located candles on the altar.

On our upcoming cruise next year we are in the Vatican on a Sunday so the museums are closed though the church is open. Then we are in Florence on a Monday when the museums are closed. Asw we have been to both places before it doesn't matter too much to us but to first timers Princess needs to get their act together.

One problem I have encounted on many of my cruises is a lack of communication between the home office and the staff on board. The land personnel seldom know what's happening on the ships, and the staff on board is often unaware of announcements made by the home office. We have mentioned several things, such as the Chef's Table -- which was widely announced on the Princess website -- to head waiters, etc, while on board, and they are basically clueless. We were also told while on board the Golden that new mattresses would be forthcoming by the end of January '08. When we called the home office, they knew nothing about this. By the way, I agree that the mattresses are horrible, even the new ones. I feel like I am away at camp, rather than on a cruise ship. Princess should take a clue from Westin and institute a "heavenly bed." What a difference this would make! I would also suggest that more television channels be made available on board for movies, etc.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my ealier post that for our last few cruises I don't even recall being asked to see our cruise card when we arrived for dining at the Anytime restaurants. Seems they just let anyone that wants to dine there in. Is that really the right thing to do? I think not! Hopefully Corporate is watching this thread and will start requiring the Anytime Head Waiters and hostesses to check cruise cards for their dining designations. Ok, I'm going to let this one go now.

On our May 08 trans-Atlantic cruise we did Anytime dining on the Crown and despite mostly using the Da Vinci dining room, our waiters always asked us for our cabin number before they took our dinner orders. And no, it didn't have anything to do with ordering wine or drinks. We didn't have to show our card simply tell them our cabin number. When we asked why, we were told it was for statistical purposes, i.e. to figure out who was dining where.

Dear Princess,

Please look seriously into the overpricing and release times of cruises for Australians. In this interglobal society, cruises should be available at the same time and at the same prices for passengers anywhere in the world.

Also, when you send your ships Downunder, please keep them rather than handing them over to P & O. Australian like to cruise with Princess. They can choose P & O elsewhere if they so desire.

Dear Princess,

Please look seriously into the overpricing and release times of cruises for Australians. In this interglobal society, cruises should be available at the same time and at the same prices for passengers anywhere in the world.

Also, when you send your ships Downunder, please keep them rather than handing them over to P & O. Australian like to cruise with Princess. They can choose P & O elsewhere if they so desire.

Miss Jolly...Maybe Princess gives the ships to P&O because it's easier for P&O to staff them ?

Steve

Spa appointments - Princess website accepts pre-cruise appointments which is a great feature of cruising on Princess. This helps one to plan ahead activities while on board. However, these appointments are often changed. Is there anything Princess can do with the Steiner Company to ensure these appointments are kept as booked?

You don't want to appear unpleasant onboard, but if everyone who had a spa appointment insisted it be honored at the assigned time, maybe the spa would stop changing them.

Dear Princess (since you're reading this)

We just got notified (and charged) of an increase in the port fees for one of our stops on our cruise next week. While I understand this is one of the costs of cruising, my question is on the equity of this practice.

If the price of port fees goes up or down prior to final payment, our account is adjusted accordingly. However, if the prices change AFTER final payment (either port fees or cruise fare), we cannot get a refund on reductions but we DO get charged for increases.

Should be be more of a "What's good for the Goose, is good for the Gander' type of situation.

Dear Princess,

I'm on the October 12, 2008 sailing to the E. Caribbean on the Crown. PLEASE UNLOCK THE SHORE EXCURSIONS! The post-cruise excursions were available for a short time, but now, NONE of the excursions are available for booking. Please, please make these available! I'm getting restless!! :D

You don't want to appear unpleasant onboard, but if everyone who had a spa appointment insisted it be honored at the assigned time, maybe the spa would stop changing them.

The first time this happened I did attempt to insist and spoke with the manager who was very intimidating and I don't back down all that easy. After the second time of this happening on our last cruise, I just decided that I'd wait until I got on board this next cruise. If the time and treatment that I want is available fine, if not I'm sure the spa is not going to lose out on not getting my business, I'll just spend the money I would have spent in the spa shopping while on shore!

I book my excursions in advance but not my spa treatments. I wait until I'm on board so I can get the daily specials. If I can't get what I want when I want, I go do something else. It's not a deal breaker for me.

Dear Princess,

You are lagging the competition on the latest round of smoking restrictions. Royal Caribbean is now more non-smoker friendly than Princess. You might want to consider catching up or else just start marketing yourself as the "Smokers Cruise Line".

I would to have trays to carry our food and drinks in the Lido buffet.

Wonder why Princess has not done this... :)

Yeah, they want to appear classy, therefore, have done away with the trays to elevate their buffet lines. I am a solo traveller and at times it can be hard to get a bite to eat and try to negotiate the drink station with my hands full. Many times I set my food down only to find it cleared when I returned with coffee. Process improvement I leave a book at the take, it has only been stolen once.

Dear Princess -- if you really do read these boards, pleases improve your coffee! :p

I totally agree with the "bad coffee"! We love Princess. This will be our 8th annual Princess Cruise coming up on the 18th of August on the Crown Princess in the Baltic. It's pretty bad when you pay such big money, enjoy good coffee but have to bring your own to make.

Princess, how about ordering some good Italian roasts from Italy?

Wonder why Princess has not done this... :)

Yeah, they want to appear classy, therefore, have done away with the trays to elevate their buffet lines. I am a solo traveller and at times it can be hard to get a bite to eat and try to negotiate the drink station with my hands full. Many times I set my food down only to find it cleared when I returned with coffee. Process improvement I leave a book at the take, it has only been stolen once.

If you want a tray that bad get one from room service and keep it for the cruise. :)

Trays look trashy.

I like it without trays.

Spa appointments - Princess website accepts pre-cruise appointments which is a great feature of cruising on Princess. This helps one to plan ahead activities while on board. However, these appointments are often changed. Is there anything Princess can do with the Steiner Company to ensure these appointments are kept as booked?

I booked my spa appointments online prior to the cruise, only to find out that there was absolutely no record of it once I got on board....even though I had the printouts from the Cruise Personalizer. The only time they could offer me on the day I had pre-booked was 6:30 PM...needless to say, I don't pre-book any longer because I don't want to get frustrated on my vacation.

Archived