$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

What I don't understand EFC..........is that you continue to be a cheerleader of reversing an experiment that is taking place on two of RCCL's ships.............and yet it appears that it's been several years since you last sailed on Royal Caribbean. How does this affect you???

I don't think there is any criteria that one has to have a cruise booked with RCI, neither does one necessarily have to be affected personally by an action, in order to have an opinion on what they are doing.

This is not directed at you Rick but it bugs me the way people go out of the way to get people banned. Kinda of sad really. I think that being a mod kisser is far worse than any of the posts made by EFC.:rolleyes: Unfortunately some people make far too much use out of the red triangle key.:( I've never understood why people can't simply skip over a post that they don't like or agree with.:confused: I swear some people never made it out of grade school.

Honey, I am quite certain Rick never clicked the triangle.

jc

I don't think there is any criteria that one has to have a cruise booked with RCI, neither does one necessarily have to be affected personally by an action, in order to have an opinion on what they are doing.

OB........I like your choice of words...........and the more I read of EFC, the more entertaining I see his posts.

Rick

What puzzles me is why people would act - and think - contrary to their own self-interest here. Why support any business that does a bait-and-switch aimed at you.

Why define a carefully orchestrated corporate campaign to pick your pocket with the happy bunny word "choice"? If the cruise line wants to offer me a choice, how about hiring some less-expensive excursion operators ... or booting Steiner on half the fleet, and hiring a better contractor ... or giving me a card to fill out at embarkation that lets me choose not to be approached by the ship photographer or the art auction hawkers. Oh yeah, they don't want me to have that choice!

So why would anyone defend the greed of the millionaire execs of the cruise line, rather than the interests of the paying customers whose business has enabled Royal Caribbean to expand its fleet and build ever-more-elaborate ships?

Now that's a post!

but for how long will you be able to cruise for less? If the people stopped flying with the companies that nickeled and dimed them, the company would have switched back just to stay in business. Now it is the rule for airlines instead of the exception. Seeing the airlines change and being unhappy with it, why would cruisers allow this to happen with the cruise industry?

A few years ago I remember some cruise lines chartered Airliners - in fact I think they had a "package deal" with UPS. They had 2 planes that on Friday night were reconfigured from cargo to seats and Sunday reverted to cargo again.

OR we see more homeports where people could drive

[/center]

Thank you for the unnecessary math lesson. Most of us understand why RCCL would decide to discontinue the chocolates and can do the math. Thanks! As can also been seen from reading here most of us who actually cruise with RCCL could care less about the chocolates or a trail of a Chops steak on the MDR menu that came about because greedy people were insisting on being served Chops steaks in the MDR. You should pay extra if you are to cheap to pay to go to Chops!

Your hyperbole is not helpful to the discussion.

You're obviously operating under a gross misconception if you think making up and/or twisting facts to suit yourself does anything to support your position on any given subject. All it really does is make everything you have to say questionable. All your talk of greedy people and someone being too cheap is simply speculation and as such, is utter nonsense. Talk about hyperbole!

Ok, I admit.. I only read up until page 10, so I am sorry if this question has been answered, I just cannot read another 25+ pages.

Has it been determined that the charge is fleet wide?

Not............................................................................yet

Thanks!

We are counting on you!

We need all of the details:

1. Is it there on the menu?

. . . . . Is it there every night?

2. Is there a regular non-upcharge steak on the menu?

. . . . . On any night? All nights?

3. Do they bring you a slip to sign, like all other items?

4. Do they add 15% gratuity to the $14.95?

5. Do you see anyone ordering it?

(are you going to order it, in the name of Cruise Critic integrity? ;) :D )

Just back from Freedom of the Seas today! What a great cruise! Anyhow, I am happy to update you all on the above questions!

1. Yes, the $14.95 Chops steak is on the menu in the Dining Room EVERY night. It is highlighted on the menu with a box around it in the center of the menu, presumably to draw attention to it. You cannot miss it!

2. Yes, on some nights there is a regular steak on the menu, but not on all nights. I believe it was on 2 nights. When those non upcharge steaks were on the menu, the Chops steak was still there on the menu as well.

3. Yes, the head waiter brought a slip to sign (just as if one was ordering wine with dinner).

4. The steak itself cost $13.00 + the automatic 15% gratuity which makes it $14.95. So, there is no additional charge on top of the $14.95 unless you wanted to add additional gratuity. It is advertised on the menu as $14.95 though, not $13.00.

5. Neither my husband nor I ordered it because someone else at our table ordered it. We were off the hook, so to speak. Our tablemate did not like the steak at all. His words were, "This is very bland, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone." He ordered it on Dinner #3. Others at the table made comments like, "I wouldn't spend additional money on a steak unless I was dining in Chops." Or, "I spent $3,000 on this cruise and I'm not going to spend more money on steak that should be included with my meal."

I took a picture of his steak, attached as a thumbnail here so you can see the presentation of it. He had already taken a bite by the time I took the photo. :)

571278425_1495Steak.jpg.f11295bfffb6d38e63a3642ca6d52234.jpg

Just back from Freedom of the Seas today! What a great cruise! Anyhow, I am happy to update you all on the above questions!

1. Yes, the $14.95 Chops steak is on the menu in the Dining Room EVERY night. It is highlighted on the menu with a box around it in the center of the menu, presumably to draw attention to it. You cannot miss it!

2. Yes, on some nights there is a regular steak on the menu, but not on all nights. I believe it was on 2 nights. When those non upcharge steaks were on the menu, the Chops steak was still there on the menu as well.

3. Yes, the head waiter brought a slip to sign (just as if one was ordering wine with dinner).

4. The steak itself cost $13.00 + the automatic 15% gratuity which makes it $14.95. So, there is no additional charge on top of the $14.95 unless you wanted to add additional gratuity. It is advertised on the menu as $14.95 though, not $13.00.

5. Neither my husband nor I ordered it because someone else at our table ordered it. We were off the hook, so to speak. Our tablemate did not like the steak at all. His words were, "This is very bland, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone." He ordered it on Dinner #3. Others at the table made comments like, "I wouldn't spend additional money on a steak unless I was dining in Chops." Or, "I spent $3,000 on this cruise and I'm not going to spend more money on steak that should be included with my meal."

I took a picture of his steak, attached as a thumbnail here so you can see the presentation of it. He had already taken a bite by the time I took the photo. :)

Did you by any chance take pictures of the menus? I'm looking for pictures of the menus to decide which night to reserve at Chops.

Brad,

It was posted here, either on this thread or one of the others that has popped up about it. I didn't make it up. A head waiter told the OP that was the reason for the test. Ridiculous or not in your opinion they could no longer afford to bring Chops food those who were asking for it in the MDR.

Wow - I've been following this thread closely, but don't recall a post anything like that. But perhaps I missed it. :)

Happily for all of us, it is a matter that can be decided conclusively one way or the other: Fred can show us precisely where this post he speaks of is located.

Meanwhile, let's all be clear: If such a post does exist, it is flat-out nonsense. Does anyone here accept the supposed explanation from the head waiter?

Who honestly thinks that RCL would authorize waiters in the main dining room to run over to Chops to bring back upsell entrees at a diner's request? For free? That's simply not believable. It would defeat the entire purpose of the specialty restaurant.

If that WERE true, then CC would have people talking about how they'd gone to the MDR, and told their waiter: "Bring us three vanilla shakes and a burger from Johnny Rockets, trot over to Chops for a porterhouse medium rare and then swing by Portofino's - my wife wants a Tiramisu.":rolleyes:

Y'all know that I'm no cheerleader for RCL's excessive profiteering. But absolutely nobody on this thread has suggested that RCL should give away upcharge meals: That would be ludicrous. We said they should stop taking away meal options we'd already paid for ... there's a world of difference between those two things.

Someone is giving us entirely bad information: Either fred, this unnamed posted that he says he is quoting, or the head waiter the poster spoke to.

Which is it?

End the RCL "pay-per-entree" scam

Say no to Fain

TravlGrl - Thanks for the superbly detailed and objective information about this.

Fascinating reaction from the guy who wasted $15 for the upsell steak!

End the RCL "pay-per-entree" scam

Say no to Fain

i thought it would look a little nicer or more special than that at an additional $14.95. now i really have no interest in ordering that.

Archived