Open Letter to CEO Holland America Lines

JimVrhovac

We just returned from the Eurodam cruise and the actions of several of the people of Holland America, in our opinion, deserve special recognition.

Ruth & Jim

October 17, 2008

Dear Mr Willey,

I talked with your office yesterday regarding two specific occurrences on this cruise and I am now following it up with a letter. I will be posting this letter on the Cruise Critic Boards, Holland America section, later today.

Mr Stein Kruse

Holland America Cruise Lines

300 Elliott Ave West

Seattle, Washington 98119

Dear Mr Kruse,

Ruth and I sailed on the MS Eurodam from 10/01/2008 thru 10/15/2008 and there were two specific occurrences that need to be brought to your attention. One happened on the ship and the other happened during debarkment day.

We were having a few drink in the Silk Den Bar prior to having dinner in the Tamarind Restaurant. When we left the Silk Den I left my movie camera case on the floor. The waiter that was waiting on us, Mr Romeo Bernal, noticed it and called the front desk about the case, Geri, Guest Relations Manager, tracked us down in the restaurant and hand delivered the case to me. She requested that I make sure everything was in the case. I opened it and it looked ok, Geri then requested that I check the side pockets. I did and there was money in one of the pockets. When we travel we spread our cash around so if any is lost we will not loose all of our cash. I had put several thousand dollars in the side pocket and completely forgot about it. Geri asked if it was all there and I told her that I did not remember how much I had put in the pocked.

The prompt actions on the part of these individuals was very impressive. The integrity and professionalism of these people cast a very good light on Holland America.

During debarkment we used the Holland America shuttle to go to Ft Lauderdale airport. In the rush and confusion we left two suitcases on the bus and did not notice it until we were at the Southwest airlines ticket desk. We checked in, went through TSA, and then went to the boarding gate. We called our travel Agent, Amber. and told her what had happened and she started to resolve the problem from her end. We always put my cell telephone number on the debarking tags in case one of the bags get misplaced. We were call by a Ms Lindu Haemerla (?), a Holland America Representative, and told that she had our bags and they were on the way to the airport and we needed to go back to the Southwest ticket desk to identify them so they could be put on our airplane. I met Mr Bill Ginsburg, at the ticket desk, identified the bags, and then had them loaded on the airplane.

These two individuals went out of their way to solve a problem that I had created in a very rapid manner. Their actions insured that the luggage arrived home on our flight with a minimum disruption to us. We are extremely appreciative of the actions of the bus driver and these two individuals.

The actions of all of these reflect highly on Holland America Lines. As long as you employ individually of this high character and professionalism Ruth and I will be loyal customers of Holland America Lines.

Please insure that proper recognition is given to all the individuals mentioned above.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely

Ruth & Jim Vrhovac

JVrhovac@AOL.com

NOTE:

We are writting a long review of the cruise and hope to have it up by the weekend

what a wonderful experience to dhare with us, thank you. I think that its wonderful that you relyaed the info to HAL as well. Its all too infrequently that only negative comments and experiences are passed along.

But seriously, you can't be blamed for forgetting a couple bags...you had sooooo many:D

Glad to here you had a wonderful trip! and sadly, welcome home to the grind

Jim, I am so happy that these things did work out well. I am especially glad you are letting HAL know too. In this day and age it is too easy to complain about what goes wrong and never give credit when credit is due. I commend you for taking the time to let HAL know. I agree that HAL has wonderful employees and crew and I am sure they do not hear this as often as they should. Thanks for letting them know and letting us know as well :)

I'm glad that things turned out well for you, and that you expressed your appreciation up the ladder. Those folks need to be recognized.

Forgetting bags is one thing. But how anyone could forget they had several thousand dollars tucked in a camera bag pocket is beyond me!

I'm glad that things turned out well for you, and that you expressed your appreciation up the ladder. Those folks need to be recognized.

Forgetting bags is one thing. But how anyone could forget they had several thousand dollars tucked in a camera bag pocket is beyond me!

And in a camera bag of all places! One of the easiest and most popular items for someone to pick up and steal. :eek:

Travelers Checks would probably be a better alternative to cash.

We have developed habits over the years and they are hard to change. Anyone who has traveled with us know Ruth's shopping habits and this much cash is not unusual for her to spend.

We have never lost any cash or had any stolen so we have become complacent when traveling. We do take security measures and this may be the reason we have never had a problem..

Ruth & Jim

We never take much cash. No need to really, No cash used on the ship other than enough for extra tips and a little walking-around money for ports, locked in the safe. Anything of any value at all that we buy in port shopping we use a credit card. Not only is it safer not to carry much cash but if you use a cc and you have a dispute about the purchase after you get home you can involve the cc company. Why would you use cash for expensive purchases I wonder and what security measures are you comfortable with, Jim?

Jim, thanks for letting us know how quickly HAL resolved your problems. It's so nice to see people get well deserved credit when they earn it, rather than the criticism we often hear about.

I happen to agree that that much cash(and you state you secret it around) really is too much to have. Just because you've been lucky so far, is not a reason to tempt fate. I purchase everything with a credit card in case I have any issues with what I buy, but I also take along travelers' checks which I have never had a problem cashing. If Ruth likes to buy things at the outdoor markets and they don't take CC, you can always cash some checks on board before you get to port.

And, by the way, now that you've left your camera case behind with cash in it, you can see how easy it is to misplace something.

Jim,

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I am very happy it worked out so well for you and Ruth and greatly appreciate you took the time and effort to remind us how wonderful HAL crews are. A huge thanks to them on your behalf from me ....... They are the best.

And YOU did REAL good to let Seattle KNOW what these crews do day in and day out. They always go that extra mile!

Good 'on' both of you. :)

I happen to agree that that much cash(and you state you secret it around) really is too much to have. Just because you've been lucky so far, is not a reason to tempt fate. I purchase everything with a credit card in case I have any issues with what I buy, but I also take along travelers' checks which I have never had a problem cashing. If Ruth likes to buy things at the outdoor markets and they don't take CC, you can always cash some checks on board before you get to port.

I don't think I take more than about $200-$300 in cash whenever I travel. I may exchange some money into foreign currency but that has happend less lately too. Most things go on credit cards and to get cash I use ATMs. I have not had problems with ATMs anywhere I have traveled, including a non-tourist city in China in 1997. I have not bought travlers checks in a very long time.

Jim, I salute you for taking the time to let the"higher-ups" know those who went out of their way to be of service to you. I hope your comments lead to their getting the proper attention they deserve. Thanks for taking the time to write and for sharing your experience with us.

Ruth and Jim - I am proud to just inhabit the same internet board with you!! :) You are my kind of people. Saying thank you and showing appreciation is what it's all about. I firmly believe that by appreciating these gestures, and people doing their job in an exemplary manner creates MORE of the "good stuff" for all of us.

Thank you Ruth and Jim!!

Moriah

A lot of you have commented about the amount of cash that we carry with us. Those of you that have spent time with Ruth and I know of Ruth's shopping habits and her passion for jewlery.

Our mission now is good financial planning. By that I am trying to insure that the check to the mortician bounces. We have worked hard to get where we are and we are in a comfort zone now.

Just because something is not right for you does not mean that it is not right for us.

I carry cash, credit cards, 2 check books, and bank transfer information and had the opportunity to use every one of these over the years when shopping with Ruth.

When she shops I only say two things: "HOW MUCH??" and "YES DEAR"...

It works for us and it is right for us.

One thing about the camera case. Ruth;s walker has a seat o it with a basket under it and the camera case is kept in there when not in use. I will be more carefull in the future to put in back where it belongs. Remember this is the first cruise where I have had a movie camera with us so I am developing those habits as we go.

Everyone's comments are appreciated and taken in good faith.

If all of us took the time to compliment someone just once a day think of how much betterr it would be around us.

When we help someone out we never take gratuities we just tell them that all they owe us is for them to do the same for another stranger....

Have a great night

Ruth & Jim

Archived