Cruise Value Center agency went under...

Moonlight Beach

Do keep in mind that cruiselines do not pay agencies commission on the entire fare. Commissions are not paid on taxes, port fees, plus a portion of what the cruiseline refers to as the "non-commissionable fare". As a former TA, I can tell you it was very common to receive commission on 50% (or sometimes even less) of the fares my clients actually paid.

This whole CVC mess is absolutely terrible and my heart goes out to everyone who is out of money, or any other benefits they were promised because of this.

Yes, I know that.

Did anyone else get something from the parent company?

I got this today in the post, and present it here as I received it.

Letterhead has a logo:

Travel Holding Entity Company

Cruises of Distinction/ Cruise Value Center

it came in an envelope from Cruises of Distinction

postmarked from Michigan on November 25

Tavel Holding Entity and its subsidiaries, Cruise Value Center and Cruises of Distinction have temporarily stopped taking new reservations.

When a company pauses there is always mis-information, and rumors...

none of which are true.

Rather than add speculation to an already very unfortunate situation, we would like to extend our greatest gratitude to the tremendous team of employees and independent contractors we have in New Jersey, Michigan

and elsewhere. We want to thank our great buisness partners who have taught and helped us much. Of course, we could not exist without our loyal customers. We do not know the future status of the company.

We wish you prosperity as we experience the Greatest Economic Challenge of the last 100 years.

Below this is the same as what is currently on the website, followed by

the best line of all:

You may contact us by U.S. Mail only...but there may be no one to answer.

Followed by addresses for CVC and C of D

The letter is unsigned.

Is this the exact verbiage in the letter? Someone (not me) is trying to get a PDF copy of this letter so they can forward it to the AG's office (s). Maybe you have an Email address where they can contact you directly?

Letterhead has a logo:

Tavel Holding Entity and its subsidiaries, Cruise Value Center and Cruises of Distinction have temporarily stopped taking new reservations.

none of which are true.

Rather than add speculation to an already very unfortunate situation, we would like to extend our greatest gratitude to the tremendous team of employees and independent contractors we have in New Jersey, Michigan

and elsewhere. We want to thank our great buisness partners who have taught and helped us much. Of course, we could not exist without our loyal customers. We do not know the future status of the company.

We wish you prosperity as we experience the Greatest Economic Challenge of the last 100 years.

the best line of all:

The letter is unsigned.

I got the exact same letter about my upcoming Celebrity Cruise.

Letterhead has a logo:

none of which are true.

the best line of all:

The letter is unsigned.

Everybody rush out and send them a letter so they can forward it to the garbage can, why cant they just come out and let everybody know they closed the doors, all the employees know they closed down.

Is this the exact verbiage in the letter? Someone (not me) is trying to get a PDF copy of this letter so they can forward it to the AG's office (s). Maybe you have an Email address where they can contact you directly?

This letter sounds too bizzare to be true. I wonder if it possible that the someone else sent this out. Or, one of the owners is a mad man.

I would assume the invitation to sail on the Soltice came well before CVC closed. I only used CVC for my Holland America cruises but I'd guess that they also did a lot of business with Celebrity. You'd think Celebrity would have stayed on top of the situation and un-invited him but, on the other hand, the owners haven't been charged or convicted of anything at this point despite how we might feel about them.
If he earned that cruise with bookings, even though the company went out of business since, Celebrity can't "uninvite" him. In essence he bought and paid for that cruise ... and is entitled to it. Whether he deserves it or not is another issue. But the point is he or his company earned the cruise in some manner and thus he is entitled to take it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I was reading the new thread and wanted to confirm a few things for anyone who is interested. The fact that Regent did step up to the plate and do the right thing by their guests is a FACT...Client sent over $61,000 in a check as part of final payment and it never went to Regent. They are sailing on a World Cruise for their honeymoon and leaving in Jan.09' and Mr. and Mrs. Suarez couldnt be more grateful to Regent for helping then thru this nightmare. The clients will press charges to do all they can to get that money to be sent to Regent but even so, Regent is letting them sail. Most likely Regent isnt commenting because Silverseas is refusing to help Mr and Mrs Hyman. This couple (celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary) have been told by Silverseas that they don't have as much money as Regent so they arent willing to allow them to board the ship. I read something about being bonded...these clients were booked thru Ensemble and should be bonded thru CLIA that way but it is yet to be seen what can be done for them. Just know that there is someone out there who is sincerely trying to help them on a daily basis and will not rest until that ship sets sail. If a cruiseline allows an agency to represent their company and sell their product then why is it the clients who pay the price when they paid the agency...maybe the vendors should be responsible for collecting that money from the "mad men" (as someone so nicely put it). I do know this...the truth will all come out in the end...it always does.

This letter sounds too bizzare to be true. I wonder if it possible that the someone else sent this out. Or, one of the owners is a mad man.

Possibly the owner is laying the groundwork for an insanity defense. ;)

If he earned that cruise with bookings, even though the company went out of business since, Celebrity can't "uninvite" him. In essence he bought and paid for that cruise ... and is entitled to it. Whether he deserves it or not is another issue. But the point is he or his company earned the cruise in some manner and thus he is entitled to take it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I hope if he decides to go he will go incognito.

Otherwise there may be a "man overboard".

They stopped mailing those catalogs after 9/11 cause they lost tons of money !!!

Cruises of Distinction relied on direct mailings and repeat customers where CVC was online!!!!Richard Smith spent all summer in NJ making changes to CVC!!!

How funny! I can just imagine Richard Smith's "to do" list this past summer...

1) Set up off-shore account in Caymans under fake name

2) Set up fraudulent billing process to funnel money to Cayman account

3) transfer house, car, boat, and vacation home deeds to wife's name

4) transfer all personal money to Swiss bank

5) write first draft of "oh gee, so sorry...its the economy" letter to send to bilked customers (personal note - try to keep from snickering while writing)

6) come up with a "story" for any employees who aren't in on the scam so they don't catch-on to what's happening when clients call regarding missing final payments

7) come up with a scapegoat to take the blame. (personal note - consider the economy, any wall street execs, CEO's of GM or Chrysler, Wile E. Coyote, Lee Harvey Oswald...)

8) take acting lessons to learn how to pretend to actually care about cheated customers

9) grow beard & dye hair and eyebrows...get teeth capped if I have time

10) Fuel up car and have running outside back door of CVC when I tell employees who aren't involved to "get out" without any notice

Whoever wrote that...thanks for the laugh because I for one really needed it. I just want to clear something up as I think I may have been a bit misunderstood. Regent did allow those clients to sail and were gracious enough to take that loss but they didnt have to take a loss from all the passengers as those who paid by credit card (and not check like the Suarez's did) were able to dispute those charges and pay Regent directly. With that said, it is the same with Silverseas and they would only be taking the loss temporarily for any client who paid by check and not credit card...in the case of Silverseas the Hyman's are the only clients that paid that way and all others can dispute cc and pay Silverseas direct. I am not saying the vendors should have to take the loss here and I am sure when the truth does eventually come out there will be a way for them to get paid...all I am saying is why should these clients who saved a lifetime for their 50th wedding anniversary have to miss out on a trip of a lifetime.

How funny! I can just imagine Richard Smith's "to do" list this past summer...

1) Set up off-shore account in Caymans under fake name

2) Set up fraudulent billing process to funnel money to Cayman account

3) transfer house, car, boat, and vacation home deeds to wife's name

4) transfer all personal money to Swiss bank

5) write first draft of "oh gee, so sorry...its the economy" letter to send to bilked customers (personal note - try to keep from snickering while writing)

6) come up with a "story" for any employees who aren't in on the scam so they don't catch-on to what's happening when clients call regarding missing final payments

7) come up with a scapegoat to take the blame. (personal note - consider the economy, any wall street execs, CEO's of GM or Chrysler, Wile E. Coyote, Lee Harvey Oswald...)

8) take acting lessons to learn how to pretend to actually care about cheated customers

9) grow beard & dye hair and eyebrows...get teeth capped if I have time

10) Fuel up car and have running outside back door of CVC when I tell employees who aren't involved to "get out" without any notice

People have spoken to him and he is blaming his "other partners". He claims there are more than two owners.

I was reading the new thread and wanted to confirm a few things for anyone who is interested. The fact that Regent did step up to the plate and do the right thing by their guests is a FACT...Client sent over $61,000 in a check as part of final payment and it never went to Regent. They are sailing on a World Cruise for their honeymoon and leaving in Jan.09' and Mr. and Mrs. Suarez couldnt be more grateful to Regent for helping then thru this nightmare. The clients will press charges to do all they can to get that money to be sent to Regent but even so, Regent is letting them sail. Most likely Regent isnt commenting because Silverseas is refusing to help Mr and Mrs Hyman. This couple (celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary) have been told by Silverseas that they don't have as much money as Regent so they arent willing to allow them to board the ship. I read something about being bonded...these clients were booked thru Ensemble and should be bonded thru CLIA that way but it is yet to be seen what can be done for them. Just know that there is someone out there who is sincerely trying to help them on a daily basis and will not rest until that ship sets sail. If a cruiseline allows an agency to represent their company and sell their product then why is it the clients who pay the price when they paid the agency...maybe the vendors should be responsible for collecting that money from the "mad men" (as someone so nicely put it). I do know this...the truth will all come out in the end...it always does.

I thought someone stated that Ensemble is bonded or ensured for $15,000 per agency (or maybe Ensemble told me that when I first phoned them). It wouldn't help much for say Carnival, but would be a big help for this single Silverseas passenger issue. If that is so there should be $15K towards the Hymans trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok all...this is the best I can do to help.

Richard Smith 248 705-8665 Cell

Ronald Smith 248 705 613 2424 Cell

248 333 9701 direct office line

248 333 9703 direct office line

248 338 9577 Home

Best of luck to all of you as I am still trying to sort out my mess with NCL.

The money they collected and didnt pay to the cruiselines had left over 1000 bookings with different cruiselines unpaid. The deposited clients are left without their offers so it is very nice of HAL to help out and I sincerely hope the other cruiselines will do the same or at least allow us clients to move our bookings to an agent that wants to help us.

Does someone have Richard Smith's home address, including zip? This is in case anyone wants to send a (attorney) letter.

Does someone have Richard Smith's home address, including zip? This is in case anyone wants to send a (attorney) letter.

Well, since you have his home phone number, you can just use a reverse phone directory for his address. This is what comes up:

Reverse Telephone Listings

Smith, Richard

1815 Long Lake Shore Dr

Bloomfield, MI 48302

248-338-9577

Smith, Ronald

1815 Long Lake Shore Dr

Bloomfield, MI 48302

248-338-9577

Maps & Directions

Well, since you have his home phone number, you can just use a reverse phone directory for his address. This is what comes up:

Reverse Telephone Listings

Smith, Richard

1815 Long Lake Shore Dr

Bloomfield, MI 48302

248-338-9577

Smith, Ronald

1815 Long Lake Shore Dr

Bloomfield, MI 48302

248-338-9577

Maps & Directions

Thank you. The brothers live together....?

We had made our final payment to them before they went under.

We've just returned from two weeks on the Westerdam. When we got to our cabin, there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us with a thank you note from them.

There was also a note with an invitation for two to the Pinnacle Restaurant.

Neither of these perks were part of our cruise booking, it was a free add-on.

We also received our on-board credit as promised.

They did nothing wrong by us. I'm sad for those that got stung.

We've just returned from two weeks on the Westerdam. When we got to our cabin, there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us with a thank you note from them.

You might consider yourselves lucky. However what they did to others is criminal.

Are you sure the extras were not from HAL? The reason is that I have purchased things but the card in my stateroom has said "from CVC" and so I just thought whomever printed the cards automatically put the name of the agent on them. When did you pay in full?

Jade,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and first let me say how truly sorry I am for anyone who lost their money with CVC. I was a customer of theirs for many years and never really had any bad experience with them. In fact when HAL posted very low fares on the Noordam (their error) I was able to get that fare thru my agent with CVC. All that aside I will say I did wonder how they consistanly beat every other quoted price by a considerable amt.

If, in fact the NJ owners are proven to be the thiefs it could be interesting to watch as his son is a Sgt. in the NJ State troopers. Someone needs to go to jail - this was out & out stealing.

I don't really think that it is fair to convict anyone of stealing or embezzlement-either the current principals or the former principal, until the facts are established in court-bancrupcy or otherwise. I feel sad for those that have lost money. Like most insolvencies, the facts are often clouded by anecdotel stories by employees or associates who may or may not know all of the facts.

I don't really think that it is fair to convict anyone of stealing or embezzlement-either the current principals or the former principal, until the facts are established in court-bancrupcy or otherwise. I feel sad for those that have lost money. Like most insolvencies, the facts are often clouded by anecdotel stories by employees or associates who may or may not know all of the facts.

Yes, you are absolutely correct about getting the facts and not convicting until everything is in. However when a company or indivuals take customers money and do not properly forward that good hard earned money to where it is supposed to go, then what do you call that? Furthermore this CVC says that now they are only temporally closing their doors and plan at some point to reopen their doors once again.

So where did all of the money go that customers had paid and never saw the credit posted to the cruise lines? So yes as you stated that it is not fair to convict someone until the courts take over and do what they do best. It is also not fair to take customers money and not properly deposit those funds into the cruise line that it was supposed to go.

American Express sustained my dispute today. I notified them on day 58 of my statement. CVC kept stringing me on and on in their emails back to me regardign my inability to complete online check in. This no doubt was fraudulent. Fortunately I called Holland America on day 58 and got the dispute in within 60 days. This is how I thought things would turn out. I wonder what is happening to those people who missed the 60 day deadline and paid with credit cards.

American Express sustained my dispute today. I notified them on day 58 of my statement. CVC kept stringing me on and on in their emails back to me regardign my inability to complete online check in. This no doubt was fraudulent. Fortunately I called Holland America on day 58 and got the dispute in within 60 days. This is how I thought things would turn out. I wonder what is happening to those people who missed the 60 day deadline and paid with credit cards.

A big issue is people who successfully disputed their credit card payment but than had to pay HAL (or another line) a higher price for the cruise. HAL allowed CVC to discount and the amount could be in the thousands for on a more expensive cruise/stateroom.

Archived