Who's been to a Cruise Critic party...

Terre

Cruise critic parties are what your group choses to make of it. The ship will supply a place to meet and invitations, coffee, juices and pastries at the actual party. The CC Hostess will probably come, the Event Planner, maybe the CD. They will give a little talk.

Some groups use the Cruise Critic template and print out name tags. Some arrange to wear Mardi Gras beads on embarkation day and meet at a designated place after muster. Some have a gift exchange. Some play ice breaker type games and give away prizes. I like it when there is a time when each person stands up, introduces themselves and talks about their cruising life.

The Cruise Critic Roll Call for your party is the place to find out what is being planned. And if no plans have been made, feel free to step up and make some suggestions.

The only Celebrity Cruise Critic party I have attended was on the Mercury last November. We actually had two organized events, and the cruise director and some other staff attended both. There was free wine and some snacks provided as well, and it was a great time to meet other CC folks whom had been chatting for months online. We all went around the room and introduced ourselves, plus one thoughtful CCer had brought name tags for us all to wear. We also had some time to talk about a couple of excursions some in our group had planned to do together. Ours was a wine-themed cruise and one of the planned events was a wonderful wine tasting event in Seattle. Great cruise and great bunch of cruise critic folks!!!

I went to my first Connections party on the Century in August, 2007. It was held in Michael's Club on the morning of our first sea day. The bar was open for business and there was a tray of danishes, coffee and tea set out for us. Maybe someother stuff, but I don't remember.

We had the space for an hour or so and basically spent the time chatting in small groups. There was a Celebrity staff member in the room with us helping us manage the moment but she did it very quietly. They supplied us with name badges and cards where we could swap information with our fellow roll call members. I think at one point someone from the CL came in and spoke with us--but only very briefly. (I have since heard someone's report where the CL person took up the whole hour trying to sell excursions--this did NOT happen at our party).

I can say, cruising both RCCL and X........that Royal Caribbean puts on a much better show for Cruise Critics than Celebrity. So far..........the hardest thing served at an X party was coffee or tea.

Royal Caribbean has has open bars, incredible appetizers, a few fun games, and so forth.

Either way...........it's a great time to meet people that you have been conversing with on Cruise Critic.

Rick

The only Celebrity Cruise Critic party I have attended was on the Mercury last November. We actually had two organized events, and the cruise director and some other staff attended both. There was free wine and some snacks provided as well, and it was a great time to meet other CC folks whom had been chatting for months online. We all went around the room and introduced ourselves, plus one thoughtful CCer had brought name tags for us all to wear. We also had some time to talk about a couple of excursions some in our group had planned to do together. Ours was a wine-themed cruise and one of the planned events was a wonderful wine tasting event in Seattle. Great cruise and great bunch of cruise critic folks!!!

Yes we were on that very cruise and we have to say it was our favorite so far.....Lambs2...you guys were great and it was a pleasure to meet and spend time with you. We are planning a cruise on the Summit in late February and our Roll Call is nearly dead...nothing like the 1099 post roll call from the Mercury last November!

...what can we expect? Most of my roll call for the Summit April 4th sailing has signed up and we are all confirmed that there are enough for the party.

I'm wondering just what we can expect.

We've done a "gift exchange" at cruise parties. We brought small, useful items representing our state, country, etc. Some brought mugs, notepads, Christmas ornaments, etc. -a lot of fun and we had another momento of our cruise..

Yes we were on that very cruise and we have to say it was our favorite so far.....Lambs2...you guys were great and it was a pleasure to meet and spend time with you. We are planning a cruise on the Summit in late February and our Roll Call is nearly dead...nothing like the 1099 post roll call from the Mercury last November!

Shawn & Angie....if you are on the 2/21 sailing....come join our roll call. Activity level is definitely increasing lately!:D

Lobster129

Oddly, even though our first CC party was on RCCL (and most have been), our favorite was w/Celebrity! Other really good ones were on other lines where there wasn't a bonafide, cruiseline sponsored party. And still others have resulted from a quick touch base someplace right after sailaway where just a few people showed up and we went on to have several more M&Gs throughout the cruise! But someone on the roll call handled details or got the group coordinator or someone like that on the ship involved. Some of the other really good ones have been on neither of the above 2 lines. I would have to say in my experience Carnival and Princess staff have always had NO involvement, and NCL has quite a lot!

But you have to hand it to RCCL and Celebrity as they got the ball rollling. Sometimes RCCL gives out some nice gifts, too! It's a great thing to do.

Have been to 4 CC parties. Each is what you make of them. 2 were more or less ignored by X people. Tray of pastries and coffee then left. Hostess stayed 5 minutes. 2 were great with participation by X people. Comfortable. Great way to meet and set up separate shore excursions etc. put faces to names and general social banter. Our last was Infinity in April. Became good friends with several and took excursions together. 12/7 Solstice promises to be a blowout over 130 CC people signed. Don't know what to expect but it will definitely be fun, looking forward to it. This is a great way to ask questions of the hostess re. ship, etc. We wouldn't miss it for anything.

Shawn & Angie....if you are on the 2/21 sailing....come join our roll call. Activity level is definitely increasing lately!:D

Lobster129

Thanks for the invite! But we are on the 2/28 sailing and let me tell you it is very very quiet on there. I will post something today to see if we can get something moving. The sailing we mentioned before that lambs2 was on....you should see that thread...Amazing...will never forget the cruise or the people.

Okay, so it's really a more organized version of your own roll call's meet and greet somewhere? We've had some of those turn very good and some not so good. I think our roll call will make this a good one!

Thanks for your input!

We were on the Summit Venice-Barcelona cruise this past June. We had 59 people signed up for the Connections Party. We had an informal get together after sailaway at the Mast Bar. The official Connections party was at 10 am on the first sea day in Michael’s Bar. We had about 25 show up from the Roll Call. The Cruise Director, John Howell, was there along with the Hotel Director, Raffaele Bernardini and the Food & Beverage Director Robert Flack. There was also someone from Celebrity’s Miami office, as well as Kim, the ship’s activities director. They were all very gracious and happy to chat with us. John Howell gave a nice introduction and said that they read Cruise Critic regularly!

--Junglejane

Hi Angie. I am on the March 6 cruise to Caribbean and that roll call is dead also. I posted about one week ago and only one has posted since. We went to Alaska this past May on the Inifinity and there were over 4,000 posts. It is still early. Hopefully the roll calls will pick up after Thanksgiving. Have a great holiday.

marlene

There were 29 people who signed up for Connection party on the Century Sept 8, Western Med. We all received invitations in our cabins on the day we embarked. Our meeting was at 5:30pm in Michaels Club on our first day of sailing. We had champagne, appetizers. Cruise director was there along with a officer of the ship. They anwered any questions we had.There were 10 of the people who showed up. It was great to put faces with people whose name and posts you have read. It was from this meeting that two people joined our group on one of our private tours we had arranged. Marilyn and Arlene added to our trip through the Tuscan hills. I would urge you to go to the meeting ,it will be fun.

We've never had champagne or any alcoholic drinks at any of the CC party that we've attended.

On the October 22nd Mercury (delay & noro) we received an invitation on the last day for a stand up cocktail party in Micheal's Club. We weren't familar with the term "stand up cocktail party", but we assumed it would be a cash bar based on our prior experience.

They really rolled out he red carpet for us - I'd guess we had about 25 people there. When you exited the elevator there was a crew member to direct you to Micheal's Club (It's tucked around the corner). We we entered we were surpised to see multiple servers passing trays of drinks and canapes`.

The Captian and senior officers were there and there was live guitar background music.

We ordered drinks not on the the trays and they were swiftly mixed for us (three times :rolleyes:). We were able to speak to the Captain at some length. He stayed trough the whole party and longer. It was an amazing time. We don't know why this generous event given for us, it would be cool if it became the norm. I think it may have been prompted by the challenges that came out of this cruise. (other than feeling badly for the ill people, it did't affect us in the least - we had one of our best cruises!)

Okay, so it's really a more organized version of your own roll call's meet and greet somewhere? We've had some of those turn very good and some not so good. I think our roll call will make this a good one!

Thanks for your input!

You got it. If you have the 25 minimum signed up within 3

days prior to your cruise they will have a gathering on board.

I echo Woody14's assessment about it.

Sometimes they can be quite fun and people seem

to have a good time.

Other sailings folks have not wanted to participate.

It just depends on the people.

I agree, its a nice way to put names to faces.

I believe that Royal Caribbean started CruiseCritic as a way to promote their product and get people interested in repeat cruises. I think Crucon was started by Cruisecritic as a way to do group rates for RCCL. They seem to be tied together in some way. It makes an interesting forum. I like it & will stay with RCCL and their products. At least you get something for your efforts. Judy

We were on the 11/7 (supposed to be 11/6) Mercury cruise and there was also a "stand-up cocktail party" at Michael's Club. A very nice affair, as described by Cruzbuds. The Captain wasn't able to attend, however, but sent his apologies.

I believe that Royal Caribbean started CruiseCritic as a way to promote their product and get people interested in repeat cruises. I think Crucon was started by Cruisecritic as a way to do group rates for RCCL. They seem to be tied together in some way. It makes an interesting forum. I like it & will stay with RCCL and their products. At least you get something for your efforts. Judy

Sorry, but Cruise Critic started in 1994 on AOL and has never had any connection with RCCL (RCI) whatever. CruCon is an independent travel agency that is an advertiser on Cruise Critic and has no other connection with Cruise Critic.

I don't know if it was because it was one of the first cruises for Azamara Quest, but many of us on the ship were new to Cruising, and especially new to Cruise critic. I had only been on CC on the Oceania board, and never heard of the Connections party. They didn't have a dedicated desk and didn't organize the party...we CC posters had to get the name & Cabin # ourselves, turn in list to the Celeb. rep. That get together was really something. First they served Coffee, juice etc. (no champagne or drinks) and a table full of pastries and cookies. But the great thing was...one after another, every officer or upper staff member walked in to talk with us to answer questions we had (Azamara was having a few birth pangs at first) and later things were changed because of the discussions we had. When the Capt finally walked in, after the asst. one had left to take his place, he spent a good 20 min. talking, not social chit chat (tho he did lots of that during cruise, when we'd meet on deck) but interesting facts etc. Was great...then I heard that Capt.s usually are rarely seen by the average passengers, we felt we'd had a "peach" ( Ass. Capt. Alveleopolus [sp?] of Solstice right now) Almost all of us were invited to tour the bridge...only many of us were touring and had to say NO...were very disappointed!

Great info, everyone...thanks for responding. I'm really looking forward to an organized "party" instead of just the roll call participants getting together in a bar and meeting, not that I haven't enjoyed those meets over the years, but I think this will be fun and a nicer way to meet your fellow roll call members!

Archived