Join us, Bill and Mary Ann, on our 128 day epic journey around the world in 2009

WCB

I too have always enjoyed Jeff's Blogs. He has a wonderful life travelling the world and good luck to him. There is no way I would ever ask how he does it, it is such a personal question and we were always taught never to ask anyone these sorts of questions.

Perhaps it is our English background from way back, (7 generations ago) but we are certainly not as forward as a lot of the cruisers we have met over the years who don't mind asking all sorts of pertinent and direct questions about ourselves and our lives, which is really none of their business.

Jennie

Report # 132 May 21, 2009 Thursday Follow-up

We can't believe that we have been home for over a week now! And we've finally caught up with re-stocking the pantry and freezer with food (mostly all lite and healthy), and have a grip on the weed problem outside. We loved the suggestion from a friend that we "rent-a-goat", but unfortunately, those critters will eat everything! The biggest project we have to take care of is having a very dead pine tree taken down before it crashes through our bedroom! We're in the process of getting bids, since this 30 year old tree is over 35 feet tall, and almost as wide.

There was a surprise waiting for us when we got home from shopping yesterday..........all 20 of our bags dumped in our driveway!! We did expect Fed Ex to contact us for a delivery time, but that never happened. We have been tracking the luggage, which has come by ground services, we presume, from Florida, to Ft Worth, Texas, Phoenix, Arizona, Fairfield, California, and finally to Clayton. Good thing we were home to bring it inside.

However, much to our disappointment, we found ten bags to be torn, ripped, or damaged while in transit. We figured some of our bags were dragged from Florida instead of trucked!! In the past with the other shipping company, IPS, the luggage was put on a pallet, and shrink-wrapped. Obviously, that made a difference with nothing being damaged. What has us unhappy, is the fact that all six of the HAL world cruise logo duffel bags were ruined. These were gifted to us since 2005, and are really not replaceable, as such. Now the Fed Ex people have to co-ordinate with the HAL people to discuss how we apply for replacements. We'll keep you updated on what happens with this. Something tells us it won't be simple.

Anyway, we thought we could respond to some of the questions that have come up on Cruise Critic. We honestly never are depressed going home after such a long trip. We have missed the cooler weather from January through May, and have come back just in time to start our warm summer. That's always the busiest time of year for us in regards to planting our vegetable garden with tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, and onions. Since we have several fruit trees, I am busy canning until fall, that is, if the deer, birds, raccoons, and squirrels leave us any fruit!! And, of course, we always try to have a trip booked, either a short or a long trip. That way there is always something to look forward to.

Now, to the "gaining of weight" question. We try to keep our diet healthy, but, believe us, when we go on a world cruise, we do not count calories or be obssesed with gaining a few pounds. Although, we did bring a digital scale with us. Now the funny thing is, they don't work well on a moving ship. The best way to weigh yourself, is to wait until the ship is in the "up" motion, jump on the scale, then get off before the wave goes down! That works well every time, by weighing you 20 pounds less!! Well, not really. We put the scale away, and decided to worry about it when we got home. Despite all the wonderful food (fresh bread, t-bone and ribeye steaks, and luscious desserts), we didn't gain that much weight. That's where the walking helped during the cruise, and now, when we are home. We saw so many people not enjoying the food, for fear of weight gain, that it was ridiculous. Why bother going? Yes, eventually, we did cut back on lunch, and we didn't even miss it. Now that we're home, we seldom have cocktails

Some passengers even paid for a personal trainer on the ship. Perhaps that helped them get in shape or retain the shape they were in. Hopefully, they weren't put on a strict diet, because cruising doesn't jive with dieting!

In regards to the pricing on a world cruise, you could pay as much as $209,000. for the penthouse suite, or as little as $23,639 for an inside stateroom, according to the 2009 HAL Grand Voyage brochure. That is per person for a 128 day cruise. And you can find much better pricing through a travel agency, like we did. Insurance and taxes are extra, as is airfare on the inside rooms.

The shore excursions can run from $30 to $200 a person, depending on how long they are and if lunch is included. If you have 40 ports, then you can do the math. Many of these tours can be done on your own for much less. The overland tours were "over the top" expensive, we thought. These, as well, can be done on your own if you plan ahead.

Well, time to start unpacking! It will be fun coming across the treasures we squirreled away in each bag! Hope it all survived the trip back from Florida!

We will be back with more info........

Mary Ann & Bill

PS If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

It's funny that some of you brought up the subject of occupations of the cruisers. We can say for a fact, that most of the full world passengers are retired. Retired from what, we're not sure. A few people will talk about work, but most do not. We have found it much nicer not to ask what profession people are in, as it is a very personal question. If the person volunteers this information, fine.

We have run into some rude people, who think nothing of asking your life history in one hour! We find it easier to answer the probing questions with a question of our own, "What does it matter what we do?" And for those who want to know what we did, Bill was in electrical construction, and I was a food service manager in the local school district. We are happily retired for several years now.

The majority of the world cruisers were in their seventies and eighties, but there was still many in our age group in their 60's.

Bill & Mary Ann

Please count me among your loyal fans; I really appreciate the detail you put into your posts so that everyone feels they are travelling along with you. I am sorry to hear about the condition of your luggage, particularly the HAL logo items - they will be nearly impossible to replace, I think.

I do have a question for you regarding your posts, and the fact that they are so detailed - do you keep copious amounts of notes every day, or do you both just have really good memories about what you've done? I've always been the trip journal writer in our family, and although I get most things down, I usually forget a point or two. If I trusted DH's memory, he'd have to look at the itinerary and say "We went here, here, and here." Thank you for your daily updates that were so enjoyable to read at the end of our day.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I would be upset about the damage to luggage and possibly things inside. I really hope that the 42" giraffe in the floral box was not harmed!!!!!!! Have fun unpacking your treasures, and thank you for continuing our adventure. Cherie

Yes, luckily our giraffe made it home in one piece!! He is now cooling his heels in the freezer section of our refrigerator! All of the wooden carvings will have their turn in the freezer (at least 24 hours). That should take care of any unwanted insects that may lurk inside of them!

In order to keep the writing correct, one of us has a splendid memory, while the other keeps notes. Between the two of us, we usually remember things well.

Bill & Mary Ann

I never would have thought of freezing the wood carvings as a way of killing insects. Ingenious. By the way I too thouroughly enjoyed your reports. I hope to do a trip like that someday, but I am not sure that I could get DW on a 180 day cruise. We are on a 12 day Meditteranean this summer so that's a start!;)

Mary Ann and Bill,

We would not have a hope of bringing any of those wooden carvings back into Australia. We know when we go away not to think of buying carvings, beads, food items etc. as they would all be taken from us as at Immigration before we finally leave our airport.

One thing, it does stop us from spending too much money on items we may not have room for when we get home.

Whenever I read about what you had bought on your travels, I knew that most of those items would be a no no for us unfortunately. Enjoy your lovely giraffe.

Jennie

Thanks for the great trip! Oh, and that person who asked you how much it cost, well that reminds me of people who ask me how much I paid for my house. Jeepers.
To be fair, I don't think the OP asked what Bill and Maryann paid. I think the OP asked about the "average" cost of such a voyage. There is a difference. And to be honest, when I was still pretty new to cruising, I wondered the same thing myself.

So, I honestly don't think it's a rude question at all.

Now if the OP said, "what did YOU pay for the cruise?" ... yes, that would be a question one shouldn't ask, because it's none of our business. But requesting general information ... I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And I don't think there's anything wrong if Bill and Maryann declined to answer the question either.

Blue skies ...

--rita

On the other hand, I do believe the comment/question about Jeff was uncouth. That was personal, and asking Bill to explain to everyone the details on how one person is able to afford to travel all the time. That should have been left out.

LOL ... I guess I am a bit uncouth too then. I have to admit that I've wondered the same thing ... but figured that there are just some people who have good fortune, and Jeff is one of them. He's very fortunate to be positioned at such a young age to enjoy so many wonderful sailings. I think he's done about three or four world cruises alone, not to mention lots of others. But there are lots of well-off people in this world ... people who maybe made a killing on a great business idea, or come from well-heeled families, or even folks who just got lucky and hit a major lottery prize. I always figured Jeff was one of them, and all the power to him.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Perhaps it is our English background from way back, (7 generations ago) but we are certainly not as forward as a lot of the cruisers we have met over the years who don't mind asking all sorts of pertinent and direct questions about ourselves and our lives, which is really none of their business.

I don't know, but when I hear people ask pointed questions, to me it just indicates a very curious mind honestly seeking answers. And, after all, the person being asked is certainly under no obligation to answer the question ... so I really don't fault someone for asking if they are doing so out of a genuine sense of curiosity ... even if it really is none of their business.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We would not have a hope of bringing any of those wooden carvings back into Australia. We know when we go away not to think of buying carvings, beads, food items etc. as they would all be taken from us as at Immigration before we finally leave our airport.

I used to think that as well Jennie,until on returning home on an overseas flight, the pilot and his wife were in front of me and they were loaded with wooden carvings. I asked him about getting them in and he said no problem, as long as they are declared , inspected and if thought necessary sent away for fumigating.

I bring them back now ,but always put them in a seperate bag and declare and show them to officials.

The only problem I have found in keeping ,storing and displaying them ,is that the wood can tend to split.

Rita,

It is just not in our Aussie makeup to ask such pointed questions, down here if someone asked those questions we all would consider it very rude and none of their business. We have often been taken aback when cruising the personal and very direct questions people have asked regarding money, position in the work force, politics etc.

Of course only a few people ask these questions, the rest are very well mannered and wouldn't dream of being so pointed and in my opinion not curious but ill mannered.

Jennie

David,

I know they can be sent away for fumigating but our airport is on the other side of the city and it wouldn't be worth our while to wait until they were fumigated plus we would then have to return to pick them up hardly worth the tolls and the petrol!

We have brought back a few wooden articles from Fiji, Bali and the Philippines over the years but they were always allowed through after being inspected. I am thinking of countries in Africa etc. where there are so many insects which can affect the wood and I know they would be well and truly taken away either to be fumigated or destroyed.

We will be there in May next year and I am not buying one keepsake whilst there as I know it just wouldn't be worth the effort.

Jennie

I thought I would wait until the end of your amazing journey to chime in with my thanks. I am sure I am not alone in being among those who quietly followed your travels each day. I looked forward to my morning cup of tea and my latest installment of "Where in the world are Bill and Mary Ann?". Thanks you so much for taking the time and effort to bring all of us along with you. Welcome home and I look forward to your next adventure.

Rita,

It is just not in our Aussie makeup to ask such pointed questions, down here if someone asked those questions we all would consider it very rude and none of their business. We have often been taken aback when cruising the personal and very direct questions people have asked regarding money, position in the work force, politics etc.

Jennie

It's rude to inquire as to a person's work history? Really? I ask people that all of the time. Questions such as, "What do you do?" and, "What did you do before retiring?" are very natural questions to find out about a person and demonstrate a simple interest in the person. I have never asked "How much do you make?" During the Chef's Table Dinner on the Westerdam I was seated with some very interesting people. The conversation would have been really stilted if we only discussed the weather! There was an economist seated across from me. He studied with an economist whom I admire. We would have missed out on a very interesting and enlightening conversation if we hadn't spoken of our work.

I guess customs are what they are!

I had to go to the storage room in the garage to look at our HAL bags ....

If the bags are totaled, the logo can be cut out of the ruined bag ... then turn under the edge or just do a zigzag stitch around this logo patch, to the new replacement bag.

Yes ... I have done this before so I know it can be done!

Know you'd like to keep the memories going with your bags as wonderful reminders.

THANKS AGAIN for all the posts!

Jean & Doug

I'd like to thank those posters who truly saw that what I was asking was not a direct "how much did you pay", but a generalization of over all costs. And if being curious as to "what" someone did/does for a living is too personal of a question, then a simple "I care not to discuss" works fine. Its just that so many of us on these boards (again a generalization) are amazed that some people, some very lucky people, can afford not only the cost but the time away from "home/family" for such long cruises. Call it jealousy, curiosity, noseyness, what ever fits for you, but I know for myself to be able to have the amount of disposable income in the 50-100K average for a couple to spend on such a wonderfull voyage is unthinkable, much less to be able to do it multiple times. I'm a self employed sucessfull business/home owner who's kids are grown and on their own, but still I'd be cautious to spend that kind of $$. To those that choose to think I'm still rude....well, thats your opinion and you are as entitled to it as I am mine. Thank you Bill & Maryann for sharing your travels with all of us.

Thank you so much Bill and Mary Ann for your wonderful posts detailing this year's voyage. Someday I hope to have the chance to try a world cruise, or at least one longer then a mere 2 weeks but I'm sure that time will be long off from now. Not to mention I have no idea what I'd do with my pets for that long a time (still, I'm tempted!). At least I've had a chance to dream the dream and live it vicariously through you.

By the way - I should have added how much I enjoyed reading about this cruise. With time off for my own 28 day HAL cruise, I followed it faithfully every day. To the individual who asked about costs ... let me add that on world cruises (I did a partial one - 77 days of it - 2 years ago on another line) the old addage really holds true.... twice the money and 1/2 the clothes!!! But oh it is fun... well worth saving for! I keep looking at the upcoming HAL world cruises (and some Grand cruises) and thinking maybe... maybe.... maybe.....

Susan

(rushing to put more coins into the piggy bank)

Archived