On Board Dry Cleaning for Formal Night

scottam

The 2008 dry cleaning prices on Princess are less than my local dry cleaners - I was shocked! Anyway, to make packing easier by not having to be careful packing them (and to save some $ if prices haven't increased), I was thinking of packing hubby's suit and my dresses "as is" and having them cleaned when we get on board.

I'm worried there won't be time if the first formal night is on the second night of the cruise, as is often the case. We're on the Aca-Ftl one way 10-day Panama Canal on Island. Does anyone know when the first formal night is and how long drycleaning takes to have done? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Tammy

The 2008 dry cleaning prices on Princess are less than my local dry cleaners - I was shocked! Anyway, to make packing easier by not having to be careful packing them (and to save some $ if prices haven't increased), I was thinking of packing hubby's suit and my dresses "as is" and having them cleaned when we get on board.

I'm worried there won't be time if the first formal night is on the second night of the cruise, as is often the case. We're on the Aca-Ftl one way 10-day Panama Canal on Island. Does anyone know when the first formal night is and how long drycleaning takes to have done? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Tammy

In the past I have done the same thing - had my formal wear drycleaned/pressed on board. It's great because you don't have to be so concerned with your formal attire getting wrinkled in your suitcase.

I usually get my dress in the hands of the room steward as soon as my bags show up and it has never been a problem to get it back in time for the first formal, which is usually the 2nd night.

In the past I have done the same thing - had my formal wear drycleaned/pressed on board. It's great because you don't have to be so concerned with your formal attire getting wrinkled in your suitcase.

I usually get my dress in the hands of the room steward as soon as my bags show up and it has never been a problem to get it back in time for the first formal, which is usually the 2nd night.

We do this, too. No worries getting it back in time but if you are really concerned you can use the expedited service. Cost a bit more but worth not having to worry about the way you pack your formal wear.

We do this, too. No worries getting it back in time but if you are really concerned you can use the expedited service. Cost a bit more but worth not having to worry about the way you pack your formal wear.

thats a really great idea I think we may do this on our upcoming cruise too !

A word of caution. The Coral Princess had REMOVED their dry cleaning units in November when we were on a Panama Canal cruise. Our room steward told me they are "going green". He was not sure if anything else was being installed to replace them. Other Princess ships may be going through this.

A word of caution. The Coral Princess had REMOVED their dry cleaning units in November when we were on a Panama Canal cruise. Our room steward told me they are "going green". He was not sure if anything else was being installed to replace them. Other Princess ships may be going through this.

Hmmmm ... anyone know any more about this? I'd hate to figure on this being available only to find out it's not.

I would hope that Princess would announce this somewhere if it were true.:eek:

Especially that it is a perk for full suites, and I think, Elite CC members:confused:

I would hope that Princess would announce this somewhere if it were true.:eek:

Especially that it is a perk for full suites, and I think, Elite CC members:confused:

If they do eliminate the dry cleaning, what make you think that being a perk for full suites and Elite would make them hesitant in discontinuing it. They've removed perks in the past based on cost alone & might do it again if they think it won't affect bookings.

Since we are going on the Island next month I won't worry about the problems on the Coral.

Getting back to first part of this thread, I have my tux dry cleaned when I return from cruise then sorta carefully pack it in the checked luggage and have it pressed only the first day of the cruise (seems like the first sea day is the first formal night on most 10+ voyages) and it's good to go for all the formal nights. I have my dry cleaner box my formal shirts so all I need to do is unwrap them and they are fine (or a little touch up in the laundry room). I also buy a bunch of dry cleaning plastic bags and use them to pack shirts and slacks to prevent wrinkles in the suitcase.

If they do eliminate the dry cleaning, what make you think that being a perk for full suites and Elite would make them hesitant in discontinuing it. They've removed perks in the past based on cost alone & might do it again if they think it won't affect bookings.

I don't think, for one minute, that removing a perk would make them hesitate; however, I do think that doing it without an announcement of some kind would certainly cause a lot of problems that could be avoided.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I just gave Princess a call to confirm that formal night is the 2nd and the 2nd to last nights of the cruise and yes, that's what they said. Although he said it's not guaranteed as the actual nights are set by the crew so it could be different. With that, I am packing my formals "as is" and will dry clean them on the ship - hopefully they'll be back in time. ;)

Thanks again! Everyone is always so helpful!

Tammy :)

The Emerald no longer does dry cleanning either... found out the hard way just a few weeks ago!

Yes, this is exactly what our cabin steward told us too. They only have pressing & laundry capabilities - no dry cleaning. Those suits and formal dresses would never survive. Ours wasn't sure either if they were replacing the old machines with new 'green' ones or not.

We just sailed on the Emerald Princess over Christmas and was told by our cabin steward that Princess no longer offered dry cleaning on the ships. I was hesitant to even post the information because all the brochures still state this is offered and is still a perk. We were in a full suite and he wanted us to know right away this was no longer on the ship. He also said they were going "green" and that the chemicals were not something Princess wanted on the ships.

Glad we didn't plan on having anything cleaned while on the cruise. Will definitely adjust our packing for future cruises.

I'm sure a few people will think twice on taking anything that has to be dry cleaned. I'm surprised that didn't switch to another process, if there is one.

It must be a big disappointment for all those just reaching Elite status having lost yet another major perk. :(

I think I would press the issue of "no dry cleaning" - How do they get the formal wear for the officers, Maitr De, Headwaiters, etc. cleaned? They do not appear to be outfits that can be thrown into a washer.

Ron

I think I would press the issue of "no dry cleaning" - How do they get the formal wear for the officers, Maitr De, Headwaiters, etc. cleaned? They do not appear to be outfits that can be thrown into a washer.

Ron

When we were on the CB in November and docked at San Juan, I noticed them carrying off dirty clothes and bringing on dry cleaned officers uniforms through the crew gangway... I thought this was strange but maybe it is true. They get the locals to do it. The CB usually does 7 day cruises and usually returns to the same port...

Alan

The Princess website as of this morning is still showing this as an Elite Member Benefit:

"Complimentary Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services

Upon request, your cabin steward will organize your laundry to be cleaned - compliments of Princess Captain’s Circle!"

I guess the question is---If Princess Cruises has changed the benefits within the Captain's Circle program, wonder when there will be an official Press Release or Announcement about this significant change?:confused:

Ron

Good Point, Ron

I just phoned Princess and was told that "all ships are offering dry cleaning services." I pressed a little and mentioned some people's experiences mentioned here and she said she would double check and put me on hold. When she came back on the liine, she confirmed again that dry cleaning is available. Sort of makes you go hmmm ... and wonder, if another call were made, would the answer be the same? Perhaps she just looked it up on their website like I had already done.

I may just dry clean at home and pack carefully as I've done in the past and not risk finding out when I board that there really isn't dry cleaning.

Tammy

Archived