Unlimited Free Shore Excursions

Donaldm

We are absolutely thrilled as we are booked Istanbul to Fort Lauderdale on the Navigator. Our cruise has decreased in cost substantially from when we first booked it months ago and Regent has given us the lower price every time there has been an additional bonus. For the excursions included, the "supplement will apply on Regent Choice excursions and ...Restrictions apply" give Regent control over what is offered closer to the time of embarkation and a way of controlling extra costs. A smart move on their part. Hopefully, the excursions offered will be as good as the ones that used to be offered on Song of Flower - the best cruise/travel experiences we have ever had both onboard the ship and on included excursions.

I think Regent is trying to reinvent itself to ensure longevity and to step up its competitiveness. As long as they continues to provide excellent staff/crew who are happy to work for them, an overall solid product, and prices that allow them to keep the line "luxury" but still give a feeling of not being overcharged, I will happily sail with them.

My review of the Navigator from this year should be finished by the end of the week. Regular life is busy!

Our TA is looking to see if this applies to existing bookings. I certainly hope it does.

Mariners, if you are booked Istanbul to Ft. Lauderdale, you probably are on the first leg with us: Istanbul to Rome on the Navigator. If so, why not sign in on our roll call? It's been there since 9/24/08, with nothing but our initial post.

Hopefully, we'll see you on board.

Included excursions sounds great. . . . but, the excursions are "so-so" at best. This incentive to book would only make it worse. I'd much rather see more included airfare (Regent has extremely good relationships with Star Alliance)!

I will be interested in further details e.g. should you pre-reserve at midnight 120 days out? Is Regent going to be doing this for all cruises beyond 2009? Is this why the 2010 sailings appear to be more expensive?

My travel agent emailed me the site. It appears that existing reservations may be be entitled to the free excursions, but you must request it. See the second sentence below:

--------

"*Terms and conditions: This program is available for new bookings only booked between 12/30/08 and 3/31/09. Existing bookings will be adjusted upon request only by reservations. All full fare guests are entitled to take one or more free shore excursions in a day, subject to availability. Each excursion has a maximum capacity assigned, and when that maximum capacity is met, the excursion will no longer be available. Each excursion is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Shore excursions can be pre-reserved at http://www.rssc.com 120 days prior to sailing, or booked onboard. Offer is NOT applicable to REGENT CHOICE, PRIVATE ARRANGEMENTS and ADVENTURES ASHORE excursions. Credits will not be issued to guests taking Private Arrangements or Adventures Ashore. Guests taking Regent Choice excursions will be charged a supplement. Credits will NOT be provided for non-use of the program or if an excursion is not available to book."

When does the program begin and end?

This program is available for new bookings only booked between 12/30/08 and 3/31/09 and is capacity controlled.

What shore excursions are included?

All of Regent’s shore excursions, excluding Regent Choice, Private Arrangements and Adventures Ashore, are included for all full fare guests.

How is “free unlimited” defined?

All full fare guests are entitled to take one or more free shore excursions in a day, subject to availability. Each excursion has a maximum capacity assigned, and when that maximum capacity is met, the excursion will no longer be available. Each excursion is available on a first-come, first-served basis

What about guests booked on combo cruises?

For back-to-back guests, if one of the 35 dates apply to one of the sailings that is part of the combo cruise, then the free unlimited shore excursions will apply to that particular sailing date only.

How do you book the shore excursions?

Shore excursions can be pre-reserved at http://www.rssc.com 120 days prior to sailing, or booked on board

If times are tough I don't think it makes great marketing sense to upset those who have already taken the plunge and booked and committed to you. That is the effect of applying this to new bookings only.

We are booked Auckland-Los Angeles in December 2009 and are looking at the costs of cancelling and rebooking. It's probably even worthwhile to consider losing the onboard booking credit. I think it makes a lot more marketing sense to come up with promotions as mentioned earlier in this thread which keep everyone happy.

It would be good to know if anyone, already booked on one of the affected cruises, manages via their travel agent to get the benefit applied to an existing booking. Probably the chances of that are remote.

My TA called Regent yesterday and is trying to get this applied to our already existing booking. He seemed very hopeful. I agree it doesn't seem reasonable to make those who have already booked upset--esp before final payment is due, since they can cancel. Maybe would rebook but could also go elsewhere.

We booked on the December 2 sailing on the Mariner from Auckland to LA on December 29th. After reading your posts, we called our TA this morning. She called Regent and they added the free excursions to our booking! :D Thanks to all of you for your posts. I guess I should be checking out the Regent website more often!

We just called our TA about this deal in Canada. She said she needs 2 days to contact Regent and that there are usually a bunch of conditions like you can't fly into port a week early that we were planning with the flight credit.

We might try a different TA as well to see what they can do.

Has anyone successfully booked this deal yet? The Auckland-Los Angeles one has air credit on this deal but not on the Regent website deals.

We just called our TA about this deal in Canada. She said she needs 2 days to contact Regent and that there are usually a bunch of conditions like you can't fly into port a week early that we were planning with the flight credit.

We might try a different TA as well to see what they can do.

Has anyone successfully booked this deal yet? The Auckland-Los Angeles one has air credit on this deal but not on the Regent website deals.

Yes, as you say air credit is not listed on the Regent website for the trans-Pacific. However, we got a credit of USD800 per person for not taking the included air. This is less than for the other earlier Mariner cruises but then this cruise is also a lot cheaper.

We just booked the Singapore-Sydney 11/1 Mariner cruise & here is how it worked for us & the "free air". The "free air" actually incurred a $300 tax/ fee addition. We chose the air credit which was $1500 pp, but really was worth $1800 because we were not paying the $300 fee. There is also a $100 "flight deviation" fee for arriving early or staying late. We were able to get a $1550 UAL fare from Sea-Sinapore, via Toyko & return Sydney - Sea via SFO, the shortest flights out there (short being an overstatement). That included the Economy + seats, which is a good deal for those not wanting the expense of business class. We were able to choose our own flight dates also since we plan on staying on Down Under post cruise. With the included excursions, it really works out to be a very reasonably priced cruise. It will be our 2nd Regent, other was on the Navigator, & we've looked forward to a return visit.

Hmm. That sounds suspiciously like Regent has gone to the Oceania model for "free" air. I.e., it doesn't include taxes and other charges associated with the flights themselves. We'll see if that's true, and if so, phooey.

We booked the Mariner in Alaska June 24 (first time on Regent) back in October with the "free air" deal and there were no additional air taxes at that time. Being a TA and used to the Oceania model, I was somewhat surprised. Be interesting to see if that has changed. Now to get the "free excursions" added to our booking!:D

When does the program begin and end?

How do you book the shore excursions?

Shore excursions can be pre-reserved at www.rssc.com 120 days prior to sailing, or booked on board

At the moment, you can't do this! We are sailing on May 1 and should have been able to book out shore excursions (ours are NOT included, by the way - too bad!) on the internet via the RSSC homepage, but the section on booked cruises (Previously called "my cruises") is under construction and you cannot use it. I asked my TA in Zurich to please book my excursions directly with Regent and she did.

Archived