Unlimited Free Shore Excursions

Donaldm

Travelcat2:

I don't wish to be rude, but if a luxury cruise line's inability to answer a booked guest's phone call for 45 minutes is not due to understaffing, what is the reason for this clearly unacceptable customer service?

You ask about "my cruise?" Here is my situation. I am shopping for a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary in Sept. '09. I am looking at options on Regent, Silversea, and Seabourn. With air and minimum hotel (as we live in Oklahoma) it is going to be at least $10K for a 7 night cruise for the two of us. Excuse me, but for that kind of money committed in light of current economic conditions, I expect (no, demand) respectful treatment -- which does not include being placed on hold for 45 minutes.

So, though I really enjoy your posts and really like you (from your on-line presence), I must ask: why must I understand or excuse such poor customer service from a luxury cruise line?

Right! Though I am posting here via computer, I'm an "old guy" who really doesn't like the "computer culture". When I buy something, I often research and price it online, but call the toll free number given to actually buy it. If I must spend about $10K on a cruise vacation, I would much prefer to have a menu of excursions MAILED to me well before I must chose them, along with a phone number I can call to book them. and without a 45 minute wait on hold, I must add. Avoiding such poor service is one of the reasons I chose luxury products and services -- when I can afford to do so. Example: because of such matters, I own Mercedes-Benz cars. This morning, I had a question about these cars. I called my local dealer's service department. My call was answered immediately, and my question was answered within two minutes. If Regent wants to be the Mercedes-Benz of cruise lines, it must respond to telephone calls in this manner.

Congratulations Dolebludger on your upcoming 25th Anniversary! This is the first I've read about a 45 minute wait to connect with someone at Regent and if that's the case then I agree that's way too long to be put on hold. 45 minutes is just unacceptable and I guess most people would hang up long before even connecting. I thought they were just having computer problems but no one answering the phone sounds like a staffing situation to me. Yes, Regent is experiencing problems in the transition and no they are not perfect but how long does it take to get a few key things turned around and working right so as to not inconvenience the customer. They are taking way too long to get their computer problems sorted out and now there is a long wait to talk to them on the phone if you can't get that information over the internet. I'm all for being patient, understanding and making excuses for Regent but for months on end? From a PR standpoint this is very poor.

Pat

Pat:

I don't want to be a "complainer" here. But the days when I advised you on how good a deal Regent (then Radisson) is or was are gone. The prices are WAY higher now, and I don't know if I could make a case that Regent is a great monetary value now. As Regent's prices have risen, so have my expectations and requirements (and I suspect those of many). So, if Regent can't handle their excursion bookings in a "lux" manner now, what will it be like when many excursions are "free" on many cruises, and many more guests are trying to book these excursions? Though I was a true "RSSC cheerleader" in the past, I just don't know if I can justify the cost of an RSSC cruise (or any other cruise we would enjoy) now, in light of the economic situation.

Whether we take Regent, Silversea, or Seabourn for our anniversary, it looks like we are looking at about $10K including air and hotel that will be required. For about half that, we can fly to and spend a week at a "lux" all inclusive land resort. Or, for less than $10K, I can charter a turboprop airplane to take us to several of the great places here in the USA that we would like (even including hotel, meals and beverages on land). So that places a lot of financial "stress" on the value Regent and other competing cruise lines offer -- when these other "lux" alternatives are out there for less.

Some folks think that I don't like RSSC anymore. Fact is, I would love the RSSC for which I used to "cheerlead" a few years ago. It was less than 1/2 the price as now (including air and such), and service onboard and off-board was great. Not the same these days. RSSC charges much more. So I expect much more -- and it just is not there. And if I am wrong about the cost, somebody please correct me. If we can take an RSSC 7 night cruise for two (with air and all from Okla. City and back) around Sept. 1, '09 for much less than $10K please tell me how. But if I'm right on the cost, I expect maximum service from the cruise line. Or else, with the economic crash and all, we'll take an alternative to a cruise.

Richard, I remember all of your old posts of years back, you know the ones that were all erased along with mine and everyone elses when CC switched to a new format. Your post count along with mine would be much higher if we didn't loose all of those posts not to mention all of the information there. Yes, you were the first original cheerleader for Radisson and you were responsible for making me switch to them. For that I'll always thank-you! So no regrets on my part. I hear what you are saying about spending substantial dollars for a holiday but then wonder if you will get true value and the service etc. that you have come to expect, especially in light of all of the changes lately at Regent. I guess we should blame Regent for having such a good product in the past that we have become accustomed to certain high standards and when that bar doesn't seem to be met anymore then we do become questioning as to where this is all going. If you and your Mrs. still want to go to FP again then I dare say for the amount you are quoting you could stay at the new Four Seasons Bora Bora that everyone is raving about over on XXX advisor website. I don't know what the answer is or what the next several months will be with Regent but I agree that their prices have gone way, way up and it's getting harder and harder to justify those prices with so much change and with so many complaints from people about lack of service and understaffing. All of it is cause for alarm. Maybe the dust will settle down the road and maybe she will be a much better product but just maybe she won't either and when people get less for their money and are charged more then that doesn't sit well. We are going on our next cruise in February with an open mind and expecting the best as until I've experienced it for myself I really can't tell if Regent is still up to my standards let alone everyone elses. I will admit however that if the posts on the board now and of the past few months had of come out before our final payment was due well we'd seriously be re-thinking it all so I feel for where you are coming from and I dare say there are lots of others feeling the same way. Not a good feeling when you are contemplating plonking down big sums of money for a holiday.

Oh and I would never label you or anyone esle a complainer. So don't call yourself one.

Pat

Richard, think your analysis is precisely spot-on...we just came back from the Voyager's TA (loved it) in December (naturally had no excursion challenges w/only one embark

port)...after our cruise, we're anxious to book the Voy Fall TA in 2010..(expect the rest of Regent's 2010 schedule to be released any day now)..but..the Mariner Spring TA is $449 per diem This is a 60% increase over the per diem we paid on the Voyager last month (from $270)...emailed Mark Conroy last week and told him we want to give our TA biz to R but not at this high of a price (we are now booked on SS Maiden TA (brand new ship) next Jan at $284 per diem). Mark said:

Wes,

I am traveling until the 15th. Let me look into this and I will reply.

It was my understanding that the rate increase for 2010 was marginal (60% increase is definitely not marginal) but we did include in the fare things like port & security charges that use to be bill separately.

Am waiting for his answer post 15 Jan..but I suspect the Voy Fall 2010 per diem will be similarly priced in neighborhood of the Mariner's Spring 2010 crossing price.

Now, my contribution to this "excursion thread" is not directly related to unlimted

excursions, but this delay in customer service to book excursions (along with the delay in deposit refunds) gives me further pause (like you) to book with R

P.S. This situation has nothing to do with understaffing. It is much more complicated than that.

Can you please explain yourself or share what you know with the rest of the board?

It is not acceptable to be placed on hold for 45 minutes nor to have a non-functioning website for more than a couple of days

Travelcat2:

I don't wish to be rude, but if a luxury cruise line's inability to answer a booked guest's phone call for 45 minutes is not due to understaffing, what is the reason for this clearly unacceptable customer service?

You ask about "my cruise?" Here is my situation. I am shopping for a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary in Sept. '09. I am looking at options on Regent, Silversea, and Seabourn. With air and minimum hotel (as we live in Oklahoma) it is going to be at least $10K for a 7 night cruise for the two of us. Excuse me, but for that kind of money committed in light of current economic conditions, I expect (no, demand) respectful treatment -- which does not include being placed on hold for 45 minutes.

So, though I really enjoy your posts and really like you (from your on-line presence), I must ask: why must I understand or excuse such poor customer service from a luxury cruise line?

First and foremost, congratulations on your 25th anniversary:D

I really understand your disagreeing with me, and, I now understand the comments about understaffing. They probably could use some temporary employees who can answer the phone (assuming they could train them to handle the customer volume correctly and add enough telephones to their system).

As I mentioned, my TA explained the situation in detail. It would not be right for me to paraphrase what she said on this board as it would be 2nd hand information, based upon what I do or do not remember accurately. I do remember, however, that the wait on the telephone was 45 minutes (sounds like trying to reach a cable company).:confused:

One would think that TA's that do business with Regent (including several that post on CC on a daily basis), would be well aware of the situation. Let's hope that one of them will post. Alternatively, you can call your own TA and see what they are aware of.

The real question should be. . . when will it be fixed? I did not get an answer to that. . . . however, apparently they will be able to print tickets in time for our February 23rd cruise (something they could not have done last week).

Frustrated Travelcat:(

Mark conroy intimated at the problem (with the reservation system (probably includes excursions as well) in this post, on 29 Dec:

Dear All,

Once again, thank you for brining this issue to our attention and more importantly, to any of you whose refunds were delayed, please accept my sincerest apologies. The refund delays were due to dual computer system conversions; one to a new reservation system and the second to a new computer system on the accounting side.

Our Accounting Department has made great strides in the past week or so in clearing up the delays that were occurring in processing credit card refunds and within the next two weeks or so, all credit card refunds due should be up to date, if not sooner. Going forward, the Accounting Department has also implemented a more efficient process for issuing refund checks and will now begin clearing credit card refunds on a weekly basis, so any newly requested refunds or reimbursements should be flowing out in a much more expeditious fashion in the New Year.

While this computer system glitch was certainly bedeviling as one of our CC members so aptly referred to it, the processes will be much more efficient going forward and I’m confident that we’re a better company due to the implementation and the improvements the new systems bring.

Lastly, on a related note, as there have been a few mentions of challenges obtaining certain information from the reservations system, all of those challenges should be rectified in short order as well.

Thanks again for your patience and I look forward to meeting and speaking with many of you personally during the coming year.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Conroy

President

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

IMO, short order is what is frustrating many R clients who want timely refunds, who

want to sign up for R excursions etc...me thinks if there is still unreasonable

waits (for excursions, refunds, et.al) after two weeks (13 Jan)...the President

of Regent needs to post again.

my 1/2 cent anyway

r/wes

Yes, being put on hold more than 10 mins. is rude on the part of company you are calling. We did a Vantage river cruise a few years ago and getting in touch with them was the biggest complaint. There are plently of qualified people looking the temp jobs. Hire the additional people and the customer service up to Lux

standard. We are booked on a 21 days voyage in Sept '09 for over 30,000K w/o air! I feel for that kind of money all shore excursions should be included. If included for some cruises; let it be the policy for all. With the economy the way it is; we are weighing our options. We had to cancel a safari last year and decided to splurge this year. But, it is a huge amount of money. Love Regent but not sure it is worth the price. Really like Oceania too. Judy

I was explaining this situation to my DH last night and realized some of the difficulties. When someone answers the phone at Regent, they must be able to access your records. Your records are on the same computer that is causing the problems. This compute system is affecting everything from printing tickets, booking excursions, making dining reservations, giving refunds. . . . . . etc.

So, the question I was asked last night was. . . which is worse. . . waiting 45 minutes and getting the correct information and making reservations, or, getting your call answered promptly and be given the wrong information and your reservation ends up in computer space?

IMO, the people answering the phone at Regent are highly competent, know how to navigate the computer system and, unfortunately, are taking the brunt of everyone's frustration.:o

First and foremost, congratulations on your 25th anniversary:D

One would think that TA's that do business with Regent (including several that post on CC on a daily basis), would be well aware of the situation. Let's hope that one of them will post. Alternatively, you can call your own TA and see what they are aware of.

The real question should be. . . when will it be fixed? I did not get an answer to that. . . . however, apparently they will be able to print tickets in time for our February 23rd cruise (something they could not have done last week).

Frustrated Travelcat:(

I will be on the phone with Regent's executive office in a few minutes and will try to find out what is going on and post!

DoleBludger, congrats on 25 years!

Jancruz1

This computer problem seems to be going on for a loooooong time. Why can't they get it fixed? I can understand one day or two at the most but it makes me think if they can't get that right what else won't they be able to get right?

This computer problem seems to be going on for a loooooong time. Why can't they get it fixed? I can understand one day or two at the most but it makes me think if they can't get that right what else won't they be able to get right?

Your reference to a "loooooong time" made me think of Microsoft's Vista. With some of the best expertise in the world, they haven't been able to fix all the problems (and were extremely late releasing the product).

I would think that they hired people to install the system and they are the ones having problems (and the problems have trickled down to Regent and their customers). :confused:

I just spoke to the executive offices and they have just gotten today several more agents to answer phones. Hopefully things will improve!

Jancruz1

Thanks Jan this sounds hopeful at least I think it is. If it's just a matter of not enough staff then things should improove quickly. However if it's as Jackie (Travelcat2) describes it then I don't know how more staff will help if the problem is the computer. Still leaves me scratching my head wondering.

Pat

On the original topic of this thread just informed by my TA that excursions will be included despite booking before the opening date of the special. This cruise (Auckland-LA December 2009)has become a very good deal.

But wripro, I'll be home in time to welcome you as you sail through Cairns :)

Travelcat2,

Be careful thinking that your telephone reservations for dining actually get put into the system. We found out when boarding the Voyager on 12/29 that despite having the name of the agent, date and time of reservations they were amongst the missing. So be sure to check immediately upon boarding or you may be disappointed.

Cheers, Pam

Travelcat2,

Be careful thinking that your telephone reservations for dining actually get put into the system. We found out when boarding the Voyager on 12/29 that despite having the name of the agent, date and time of reservations they were amongst the missing. So be sure to check immediately upon boarding or you may be disappointed.

Cheers, Pam

You're right -- guess I was trying to think positive. Like everyone else, we are quite frustrated with the continuing computer issues. If I were boarding the Voyager or Mariner next month instead of the Navigator, I would be much more upset since I would be anxious to make dining reservations. I'm sure they will have this fixed in time for our September, 2009 Voyager cruise;)

I'm not concerned about excursions since we rarely do Regent excursions. Few Regent passengers have positive things to report regarding their excursions. For this reason, the cruises with excursions included hold no interest for us. We have a couple of excursions booked in the Caribbean next month that I have no doubt will be better than Regent's.

Pam -- thanks for the reminder that phone calls need to be followed up once you are on board the ship.

TC2

Turtlemichael,

Thanks for remembering that I'll be passing through Cairns. It's just over a year away now and I am looking forward to it. Sometimes I can't believe how fast time goes between booking and the cruise even when one books this far in advance. We are leaving on three weeks for a cruise we booked in April 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Regent has two lists of the "free" shore excursions for Europe and Alaska after June 2009. For the general offer see:

http://www.rssc.co.uk/specials/offers/freeshoreex.aspx

For the specific lists, see:

http://www.rssc.co.uk/media/specialoffers/PDF/freeshoreex_alaska.pdf

http://www.rssc.co.uk/media/specialoffers/PDF/freeshoreex_europe.pdf

The reason for the quotes around "free" is that some are reduced in price although the vast majority are free. The lists show the old and new prices.

According to a TA who posted on another board, the Europe and Alaska lists are representative lists that do not include all ports or all excursions. Her post was in response to my post inquiring as to whether I should be worried that there was nothing listed for Valleta, Malta.

Also found interesting on the list of free excursions that donaldm posted for Alaska that the Tracy Arm catamaran tour is listed. But do not know which dates it will apply. There has been much discussion about it being offered in 09.

Yes, considering how highly this excursion is recommended by many who have taken it in the past, it was a great relief to find it on the list -- and to have it confirmed by Regent for our June 3 cruise this summer. I think the discussion you refer to about whether it would be offered was started by me, because it was not (and still is not) listed on the Regent web site. From the email I exchanged with Regent, my impression is that Tracy Arm is being offered all summer as it has been in the past. I don't know if it's offered on the May 27 cruise, but Regent says it is definitely offered for June 3.

-- Eric

Archived