Can you bring your own wine onboard for your room?

sarz272000

Does Princess allow you to bring on your own wine? I know with NCL we had to pay a corkage fee, but were allowed to bring it. If so, how many bottles are allowed per person?

Linda:p

according to the brochures, no, you can not. I have yet to hear of anyone who has been busted. That could and probably will change one of these days,but right now, there should be no problem..

Nita

I had it all worked out in my head too. Quick stop on way to pier and I was gonna pick up Kendall Jackson's Meritage. Mmmmm Even planned to bring the wine bag from my grocery store, you can carry multiples without breakage. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks,

Linda:(

I was just perusing the cruise answer book before we leave, and noticed on page 24 in the alcohol policy section that "you may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occaisions ( limit: one bottle per person)."

Princess has a very liberal policy regarding bringing wine or champagne on board (carry it on, or pack it). It actually states in the documents that no "liquor" can be brought on EXCEPT wine or champagne. You can also bring it on at the ports of call. They say one bottle per person, but do not enforce that. We have carried on three at a time when we boarded and nothing was said. Never saw anyone confiscating alcohol of any kind on Princess. Hope this helps. Do a search..........there are lots of discussions about this.

Happy Cruising!

Julie :)

We've never had any isues with carrying wine on board. (some waiters will charge a corkage , some will not. ) Even with the corkage it's still less than buying on the Ship.

We also pour a glass in our cabin and carry it to dinner.

In the Q's & A's on Princess Cruise Personaliser it mentions 'Wine and/or Champagne may be taken aboard. But no quantity mentioned. We always take a couple of bottles on each with us at embarkation and at Ports. Particularly these days with USD on board and our Aussie dollar only worth 65 US cents. Who wants to pay 50 + Aussie dollars for a bottle of wine every day, I don't.

:confused:

We also often take the wine casks (Box of wine I think it is called in the USA) 2 or 4 litres, park it in the cabin fridge, bingo cold vino on tap, 24/7.:p.

We've never had any isues with carrying wine on board. (some waiters will charge a corkage , some will not. ) Even with the corkage it's still less than buying on the Ship.

We also pour a glass in our cabin and carry it to dinner.

now as for the corkage fee, we have cruised them twice, always charged the fee.

As for taking a glass from the cabin, that is another story and I know I am going to open up the box for future discussion. I feel if you have brought your own on, it should be consumed in your cabin or a bottle taken to the table and the corkage fee paid. The ship makes much of their profit on alcohol. If we all start doing what you do, they will decide not to allow any wine to be brought on..

Nita

now as for the corkage fee, we have cruised them twice, always charged the fee.

As for taking a glass from the cabin, that is another story and I know I am going to open up the box for future discussion. I feel if you have brought your own on, it should be consumed in your cabin or a bottle taken to the table and the corkage fee paid. The ship makes much of their profit on alcohol. If we all start doing what you do, they will decide not to allow any wine to be brought on..

Nita

Well said Nita.

Feel free to carry on as much as you can comfortably & you can request replacement glasses from you cabin steward each day. You can also replenish you supply at each port avoiding the high priced wines they sell on board. Short of walking down the hallway with an open wine bottle in you hand, nothing will be said.

Feel free to carry on as much as you can comfortably & you can request replacement glasses from you cabin steward each day. You can also replenish you supply at each port avoiding the high priced wines they sell on board. Short of walking down the hallway with an open wine bottle in you hand, nothing will be said.

I don't know what about supporting the ship some people do not understand or is it just me? Of course you can walk down the hall with a wine bottle or pour a glass in your cabin and take it to dinner, the fact is: allowing the wine to be brought on is for consumption in your cabin, not throughout the ship.

I am telling everyone, keep doing this and sooner or later the cruise ships will all crack down and not allow any alcohol to be brought on..

NIta

I was just perusing the cruise answer book before we leave, and noticed on page 24 in the alcohol policy section that "you may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occaisions ( limit: one bottle per person)."

Thanks for the info. I consider my 50th b-day a special occasion. So I will bring a couple of bottles for us to consume in our room.

Not to worry though. We will purchase and consume other "beverages" while onboard. This just helps to keep our onboard account at a more reasonable $ amt., we are still helping two daughters with their college tuitions.

Linda:)

I agree - does that surprise you? DW drinks wine and we usually bring a box of wine with us and get new gkasses each day from room service.

Ron

Good morning

Just to let you know we boarded the Grand on 1/16 in Fll. We had three bottles of wine in our carry-on. One bottle was confiscated and we stood in front of the room at a desk while they did the paper work.:rolleyes: Okay guy behind agent made me laugh by slapping his hand... I know this happened to other people we boarded with as we were talking in the terminal.

Two days later what should appear in our cabin without explanantion but the bottle of wine:confused: It was no big deal but i never heard of this happening before!

Just an FYI

Off to enjoy the sunshine, Reader

I don't know what about supporting the ship some people do not understand or is it just me? Of course you can walk down the hall with a wine bottle or pour a glass in your cabin and take it to dinner, the fact is: allowing the wine to be brought on is for consumption in your cabin, not throughout the ship.

I am telling everyone, keep doing this and sooner or later the cruise ships will all crack down and not allow any alcohol to be brought on..

NIta

If you feel like supporting the ships income then go right ahead, I bring my own to cut costs #1 & #2 they don't have the wine I drink. My budget is limited & I'm looking to maximize my $$ in anyway I can. This means I'll be able to cruise again all that much sooner, so that can profit even more by me saving money.

You can take your own wine on board. We did on Ruby last week and even took an opened full bottle to Sabatinis and they did not charge us for corkage - we did, however, buy a couple of bottles at the table as well as we were a party of 9.

If you are on Ruby, a little-used bar is Adagio which is opposite Sabatinis. They offer a very nice service with wonderful olive and breadstick appetisers. We were very impressed.

We also noticed that we only had to show one card with a soda sticker on the first night in the dining room (traditional table in Da Vinci dining room) and all sodas for the whole table were free of charge for the whole week. In fact all the bar outlets were very lenient with regard to soda cards and always gave our two small grandchildren free sodas even though they did not have soda cards in their own right.

Managed to get the free lemonade in Horizon Court on a few occasions and very nice it was. However, on several occasions, they said they only had iced tea left and it was impossible to get the free lemonade if we sat at the tables outside of Horizon Court, even though we sat there to eat our buffet meal as there were no tables available actually inside Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe.

Also there was a coffee shop on Deck 6 (can't remember its name). Great pastries and doughnuts:D

We also noticed that we only had to show one card with a soda sticker on the first night in the dining room (traditional table in Da Vinci dining room) and all sodas for the whole table were free of charge for the whole week. In fact all the bar outlets were very lenient with regard to soda cards and always gave our two small grandchildren free sodas even though they did not have soda cards in their own right.

Uh Oh - now see what you've started. :eek:

Uh Oh - now see what you've started. :eek:

Ah but it was offered - not in any way asked for. I think they just liked treating the children - hardly any children on board so they were made a fuss of by lots of the staff and other passengers - they are verrry cute;)

As to the others who got free soda, that was also down to the waiter who brought the drinks to the table. There were 3 adults and the 2 children who drank soda at the table. Two adults had purchased soda stickers, and as each glass costs pennies to produce, it was not going to bankrupt Princess.

Ah but it was offered - not in any way asked for. I think they just liked treating the children - hardly any children on board so they were made a fuss of by lots of the staff and other passengers - they are verrry cute;)

As to the others who got free soda, that was also down to the waiter who brought the drinks to the table. There were 3 adults and the 2 children who drank soda at the table. Two adults had purchased soda stickers, and as each glass costs pennies to produce, it was not going to bankrupt Princess.

OH, I agree but some others might not.

Will a 3 liter or 5 liter box wine fit into the cabin refrig? And no I will not ask you with the box opening fee would be in the dining room.

Either will fit in the refrig. However, I wouldn't suggest carrying it into the dining room. You would get a lot of strange looks. Better to get wine glasses from the room service and carry them in.

Ron

I really don't think that carrying on one or two bottles of wine is going to hurt the ship's economy. We always travel with wine and have bought a special type carrier so that the wine can be put in the checked bag rather than the carry-on. As there will be six in our party, I'm quite sure we will also be buying on board but as we will be celebrating both our 30th anniv. and my 59th b'day during the cruise it will be nice to have our favorite bottles with us. We do intend to bring a bottle to dinner at Sabatinis and fully expect to be charged corkage, as we would at home in a nice restaurant.

Archived