Bye bye alaska

Magic Man

Royal Caribbean shifts ship out of Alaska

• By DAN JOLING, Associated Press Writer Dan Joling, Associated Press Writer – 41 mins ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A decision by Royal Caribbean Cruises to shift a ship from Alaska to another destination has state tourism officials calling for steps to stay competitive.

John Binkley, president of the Alaska Cruise Association, says the redeployment of the Serenade of the Seas will mean a $55 million loss in revenue and a reduction of 42,000 visitors.

The vessel had 20 Alaska trips scheduled this year.

David Kasser of the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau says Alaska must work to provide a better environment for cruise lines.

Binkley says it would be appropriate to make adjustments to the 2006 cruise ship initiative that created a $50 per passenger head tax and wastewater dumping regulations that industry officials say are too stringent.

• By DAN JOLING, Associated Press Writer Dan Joling, Associated Press Writer – 41 mins ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A decision by Royal Caribbean Cruises to shift a ship from Alaska to another destination has state tourism officials calling for steps to stay competitive.

John Binkley, president of the Alaska Cruise Association, says the redeployment of the Serenade of the Seas will mean a $55 million loss in revenue and a reduction of 42,000 visitors.

David Kasser of the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau says Alaska must work to provide a better environment for cruise lines.

Binkley says it would be appropriate to make adjustments to the 2006 cruise ship initiative that created a $50 per passenger head tax and wastewater dumping regulations that industry officials say are too stringent.

Would you kindly elaborate on this. IS the Serenade being pulled from the Alaska 2009 season? Where did you get the info? And where is the Serenade being sent?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Annieeee

I've searched and none of the articles say whether this is for 2009 or 2010. I sure hope this is for 2010 as I have a cruise booked on Serenade in 2009.

Of course the only two articles I've found are quoting some Alaska tourism official that says he was told RCCL would remove 1 of 6 of its ships from Alaska - but is not an announcement from RCCL.

Would you kindly elaborate on this. IS the Serenade being pulled from the Alaska 2009 season? Where did you get the info?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Annieeee

I just checked the RCCL site and Alaska is still showing for all of 2009. Perhaps we have seen a glimpse of summer 2010!...Where will Serenade go. Hawaii? Stay in the Caribbean? Time will tell.

Be sold to pay for the Oasis???:eek:

BILL

I just checked the RCCL site and Alaska is still showing for all of 2009. Perhaps we have seen a glimpse of summer 2010!...Where will Serenade go. Hawaii? Stay in the Caribbean? Time will tell.

Be sold to pay for the Oasis???:eek:

BILL

We'd love to see RCI reinstate the RT Los Angeles Hawaii cruises for 2010. :)

This would seem to indicate that the writer means the 2009 season. I went to the RCCL website and indeed the Serenade does have 20 sailings scheduled to Alaska this year.

I hope that's not the case. That would be horrible for all those that have Alaska cruises scheduled on her. Hopefully, we'll get some clarification on this matter soon.

Do you really think they would pull the Serenade out of Alaska this close to the season? Are these sailings selling well? Maybe it's just a sign of the times.

Everybody stop worrying...It's not happening until 2010! Here's the link to the article in the Anchorage Daily News:

http://www.adn.com/money/story/669263.html

Now everyone on the Serenade this year can breath easy and have a great time!:)

That's GREAT news! :D. Whew!

Good research Michele! :)

I can't even imagine what a mess it would have been if they had tried to pull her this year :eek:

The thing that I don't like is that they are pulling a Radiance Class vessel out of Alaska! These ships seem the best suited for these itineraries.... especially with all the glass and those beautiful indoor solariums, etc.

The thing that I don't like is that they are pulling a Radiance Class vessel out of Alaska! These ships seem the best suited for these itineraries.... especially with all the glass and those beautiful indoor solariums, etc.

Radiance herself was built for Alaska sailings. There's a wonderful Totem in front of the Sky Bar that was donated by a local tribe.:)

Yikes! If the deployment for 2010 is the same as 2009 (minus Serenade), that only leaves Radiance from Vancouver and Rhapsody from Seattle.

It will be interesting to see how Princess, HAL, Carnival etc. plan their deployments for Alaska in 2010. Regarding Disney, I read they withdrew their 2010 Glacier Bay permit application...

Maybe I'll have to try to sneak Alaska on the Serenade in this year...I was planning on doing it in 2010.

Yikes! If the deployment for 2010 is the same as 2009 (minus Serenade), that only leaves Radiance from Vancouver and Rhapsody from Seattle.

It will be interesting to see how Princess, HAL, Carnival etc. plan their deployments for Alaska in 2010. Regarding Disney, I read they withdrew their 2010 Glacier Bay permit application...

Maybe I'll have to try to sneak Alaska on the Serenade in this year...I was planning on doing it in 2010.

There have been many price drops on cruises early in the season. Check out the prices.;)

This might explain Disney's application to cruise in Alaska in 2010. That would cover the departure of Serenade.

I hope is 2010 season and not 2009 since I'm on the same sailing wrp96

Hey, PantherFan, come on over to our Roll Call!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747778

We booked as soon as the schedule open (we were waiting for it to open). Most of the folks on the roll call right now know each other - we met here on CC and various combinations have cruised together in the past.

But we're always open to making new friends, please stop by!

Bummer - I was really considering the Serenade r/t from Vancouver for May/June 2010.... The one way trip adds so much hassle travel wise and I really don't want to sail from Seattle and stop in Victoria (i've been there already).... :(

I wonder if they will keep Radiance as 1 way or switch it to round trips from Vancouver. Guess I might have to consider another line for Alaska.... any suggestions???

Few of the Alaska sailings have been selling as well as in years past. All the lines have had major sails for Alaska this year. Princess for example has been doing 2 for 1 sales to try and fill their Alaska ships. We've received several price drops for our Serenade sailing this year, including on suites.

Few of the Alaska sailings have been selling as well as in years past. All the lines have had major sails for Alaska this year. Princess for example has been doing 2 for 1 sales to try and fill their Alaska ships. We've received several price drops for our Serenade sailing this year, including on suites.

We've received multiple price drops for our Serenade Alaskan cruise this summer as well. I was panicking and was relieved to read that we should be safe with our already-planned 2009 Serenade Alaskan cruises.

Dang, we just placed a Next Cruise deposit while we were on the Serenade last week, anticipating booking an Alaska cruise on the Serenade when the 2010 itineraries come out in a few months. The Radiance will still be beautiful, but we really lovethe crew on the Serenade and will miss their familiar faces and service.

Eric

Archived