The good, the bad and the ugly-review of the CB post drydock!

sadiea

No need to be snippy. If you don't want to keep reading about the "CB post dry-dock fiasco" then skip these threads. You are the only one who can choose whether or not to read them!

And no, not everyone "knew" not to book a cruise right after dry dock. I will be sailing on the CB on Saturday. This will be my very first cruise. One of the things I was excited about was that it was going to be fresh out of dry dock. You know... all spiffed up, spick and span. I had no idea that the refurb might not be finished!!

So, for me, who is leaving in 5 days... I am interested in reading all that I can about the current state of the Caribbean Princess. I paid a lot of money, and did a lot of research before choosing Princess for my virgin voyage.

If you are bored and annoyed by this thread... skip it. If you choose to read it anyway... then that is up to you, but own your choice and please endure your annoyance in silence. The rest of us are interested.

Said very well I am not sure I would have been so nice !

Please~~~Before you are quick to attack the OP, please read this carefully. The OP (as well as myself) are simply trying to tell what we saw and experienced. (only on this cruise) We both have said that this has certainly NOT been the norm for our previous Princess cruises. This cruise was truely different.

The dirt was one of the first things I noticed. Construction dirt and crud. Also, windows very dirty. Our muster drill took us down the inside stairway on the Dolphin deck aft. There on the stairs was many broken screws, bolts, washers, and a couple of moldy cups of coffee with cig butts floating in them. Had this been my first cruise, I would have wondered what in the heck was going on!!!

Later that morning, we went to an upper deck to lay in the sun. An ash tray heaping full of butts came flying off of a pile of chairs!:eek:

At the muster drill in the aft lounge, you could see a thick layer of dirt on the floor around the stage. Later that morning, I got in an elevator forward in the ship, backed into a broken off screw and tore my shorts.

The balcony divider between our mini and the next was left open and I noticed it on the first sea day after we finally sailed. I asked the room steward to fix it and he said it was broken:confused:. Okay..so now what? Just let it bang for the rest of the cruise? A couple days later, after trying to prop chairs against it, we called the front desk and asked to be moved. It was fixed later that morning.

We asked for skim milk for breakfast. We were told the skim milk was only for cereal:confused:. We could not have a glass for it!

I do not want to go on and on. This is a sample of annoyances. Listen up...'annoyances'...not disasters.

Yes, I had fun with my DH. Yes, the sun was wonderful. Yes I appreciate all that I have been blessed with. That does not change the fact that this cruise was not like we should expect from Princess. I only say this because I believe they are a very quality cruiseline with high standards. This sailing was not one of them...for me and obviously for some others.

Well said.....

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Before anyone jumps my back, actually won't bother me if you do, I am not defending Princess but rather posing another view. Instead of Princess not allowing enough time for drydock, the contractors who signed on the dotted line knew the timeline they were faced with. Most major contracts today have a penalty clause included whereby the contractor will owe money if the project is not completed ontime. Few if any contractors would take on a job if they know their bottomline was going to suffer. Perhaps some unforseen problems arose requiring more time than planned...nothing more nothing less.

No need to be snippy. If you don't want to keep reading about the "CB post dry-dock fiasco" then skip these threads. You are the only one who can choose whether or not to read them!

And no, not everyone "knew" not to book a cruise right after dry dock. I will be sailing on the CB on Saturday. This will be my very first cruise. One of the things I was excited about was that it was going to be fresh out of dry dock. You know... all spiffed up, spick and span. I had no idea that the refurb might not be finished!!

So, for me, who is leaving in 5 days... I am interested in reading all that I can about the current state of the Caribbean Princess. I paid a lot of money, and did a lot of research before choosing Princess for my virgin voyage.

If you are bored and annoyed by this thread... skip it. If you choose to read it anyway... then that is up to you, but own your choice and please endure your annoyance in silence. The rest of us are interested.

Thank you for saying this SuperLarz! :D I was just going to post something similar and now don't have to. I couldn't agree with you more.

Geesh! Why do people open threads that they don't want to know about and then complain about them being there! AHHHHHhhhh!:eek::eek:

We are on the CB in 2.5 weeks and like you, we are trying to find out everything we can about the progress being made on board.

Thanks again!:D

I think what you don't get is the uncaring attitude of Princess about the whole mess. We were on a tour bus with a frequent Princess cruiser and he wrote a letter while on board about all the things that went wrong. The response---Compensation denied!! Was he asking for $$ I don't know, but a small obc per cabin would have gone a long way. What about the people with small children in a convention center all day? What about all the diabetics who come to the port thinking they are getting on and having lunch? Don't forget about all the elderly! What about standing in line in the convention center for an hour to get something to eat and drink and they run out? I think Princess should be ashamed of what happened here.

And for the other poster I never read on this board about NOT booking a cruise after drydock. I had no idea that it could turn out this way. Yes, we have moved on, yes we had a great time, yes the food was wonderful, but the bottom line is the ship was not ready for passengers and Princess does not care!!:(

How many more reviews are we gonna get about this trip.........we get it!

Embarkation sucked and stuff wasnt finished...OK

Dont sail a ship right after it comes out of Drydock......I thought everyone knew that:rolleyes:

My two cents

Vastly overpriced!

Before anyone jumps my back, actually won't bother me if you do, I am not defending Princess but rather posing another view. Instead of Princess not allowing enough time for drydock, the contractors who signed on the dotted line knew the timeline they were faced with. Most major contracts today have a penalty clause included whereby the contractor will owe money if the project is not completed ontime. Few if any contractors would take on a job if they know their bottomline was going to suffer. Perhaps some unforseen problems arose requiring more time than planned...nothing more nothing less.

This is just an educated guess, but I believe the time schedule for the drydock repairs was most likely set by the executives in the corporate office at Princess and not by the people who actually plan and implement the repairs and overhaul. I spent 12 years in a major shipyard and I was in charge of major refits and overhauls of the QE2 and numerous cruise ships. The executives in the corporate office will question how long a particular job will take and then ask if it can possibly be done quicker. When you tell them that it can be done quicker if everything is just perfect, they will then schedule the job to be finished in that shorter time frame. When this is done to the hundreds of jobs that need to be accomplished during a drydocking, the schedule becomes unrealistic. During my 12 years in the shipyard as a senior ship superintendant, I learned this lesson the hard way and always incorporated that into my planning for a project. During one of the 3 drydockings of the QE2, we had a 17 day schedule to install 4 new prefabricated penthouse suites, rebuild 8 other penthouse suites, completely rebuild 2 dining rooms and 2 galleys, and install 2 new steam turbines as well as all the normal drydock work including rebuilding the rudder and changing the propellers. The Cunard people constantly tried to cut down the time of the drydock period but we held firm and were able to complete the repairs in time to conduct sea trials of the ship and be at the passenger ship terminal on schedule for her next world cruise. The executives that run these companies do not always have a realistic handle on time scheduling of ship repairs, and convince themselves, and everyone else that it can all be done in the time allotted.

The ship seemed to move more than other ships we've been on (Carnival Valor, & Monarch and Radiance of the Seas) especially given the relatively calm seas (and yes, water was splashing all over the place in the pools at times.) We enjoy the gentle swaying that ships do, but often the movement was more than a gentle sway. The last 2 nights of the cruise, however, were very smooth; we didn't even notice the gentle swaying. The engine vibrations in the aft portion of the ship (especially in Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe) were annoying to say the least. (I thought part of the drydock was to replace a horribly vibrating engine?)

I sailed on the Caribbean Princess in april of '06, and noticed that of the big ships I have been on, it rocks more. Even on mirror like seas it sways gently. I for one like it, not the wife though.

That vibration I noticed then too. Up in Skywalkers it is real bad. It is as though it has a slightly bent propeller shaft. The higher up the decks you go it is as though the vibration is amplified. This too was only an annoyance to me.

So sorry to all who were on this cruise and experienced less than the stellar Princess cruising experience. I would feel much the same, as we save $ all year and look forward to "comfortable" cruising!

We sailed the CB in May and was supposed to be the first cruise after its initial scheduled dry dock. Whew.......glad it was canceled!!

This is just an educated guess, but I believe the time schedule for the drydock repairs was most likely set by the executives in the corporate office at Princess and not by the people who actually plan and implement the repairs and overhaul. I spent 12 years in a major shipyard and I was in charge of major refits and overhauls of the QE2 and numerous cruise ships. The executives in the corporate office will question how long a particular job will take and then ask if it can possibly be done quicker. When you tell them that it can be done quicker if everything is just perfect, they will then schedule the job to be finished in that shorter time frame. When this is done to the hundreds of jobs that need to be accomplished during a drydocking, the schedule becomes unrealistic. During my 12 years in the shipyard as a senior ship superintendant, I learned this lesson the hard way and always incorporated that into my planning for a project. During one of the 3 drydockings of the QE2, we had a 17 day schedule to install 4 new prefabricated penthouse suites, rebuild 8 other penthouse suites, completely rebuild 2 dining rooms and 2 galleys, and install 2 new steam turbines as well as all the normal drydock work including rebuilding the rudder and changing the propellers. The Cunard people constantly tried to cut down the time of the drydock period but we held firm and were able to complete the repairs in time to conduct sea trials of the ship and be at the passenger ship terminal on schedule for her next world cruise. The executives that run these companies do not always have a realistic handle on time scheduling of ship repairs, and convince themselves, and everyone else that it can all be done in the time allotted.

I appreciate your expert answer. It is always good to get information from an inside source. The purpose of my post was just that.....to try to have people look at different viewpoints and get additional info. Based on your post one might get the idea that not allowing enough drydock time may actually be industry wide rather than just a cruise line issue. Enjoy your cruise...we sail on her March 8th

My husband and I were also on this cruise and although the embarkation was crazy I must say I met so many rude people. I felt so bad for the Princess staff who were just being told what to do. They were being yelled at and criticized. It wasn't their fault. We kept trying to get people be positive on our bus. Who cares so it does delay our vacation a few hours. It wasn't the end of the world. Everyone still got on the ship.

I do agree the process could definitely been improved and I thought the glass of wine they offered us was kind of insulting. They should have compensated each passenger.

We did have a great cruise anyway. We went to the cruise critic meet and greet and had an excellent time. We had a gift exchange with everyone who attended which was an awesome idea and broke the ice.

This was my first Princess cruise (mostly cruise RCCL) and although my husband and I did agree we preferred RCCL we would cruise Princess again if the opportunity arose.

I think a vacation is what you make of it. Most of the people who complained and were rude seemed to be the frequent cruisers. I wish they would realize how fortunate they are to be cruising 3-4 times/year. I envy them and I'm sure others would have traded places with them.

But I've talked to 2 people that were on this cruise and it was their first cruise on Princess, and according to them their last cruise on Princess.

Well that's the problem as well...Princess needs to ensure that those first timers come back. I felt bad for those people.

How many more reviews are we gonna get about this trip.........we get it!

Embarkation sucked and stuff wasnt finished...OK

Dont sail a ship right after it comes out of Drydock......I thought everyone knew that:rolleyes:

My two cents

We were never told this ship was in drydock before it sailed.We booked direct with Princess and they never called or emailed us.They even put us on a flight from Toronto to San Juan via Detroit with only 20 minutes to collect our bags and clear customs.We ended up booking our own flight with Sunwing that had serious delays on the way down.Princess had us off the ship at 9am for a 5pm flight.It was a long day sitting in the airport to go home.

you are right, not everyone knows about booking right after dry dock or booking the first sailing when a ship is new. As much as I hate to hear these horrible stories I think they are necessary..now, I will tell you, by the time you board many of the problems will be addressed and you will have a great cruise. You are right about the ship being all bright and shiney; that is the advantage of dry dock or new cruises.

Nita

you are right, not everyone knows about booking right after dry dock or booking the first sailing when a ship is new. As much as I hate to hear these horrible stories I think they are necessary..now, I will tell you, by the time you board many of the problems will be addressed and you will have a great cruise. You are right about the ship being all bright and shiney; that is the advantage of dry dock or new cruises.

Nita

Hi Nita!:)

I was glad to hear about the dry dock before our cruise in May as I am also looking forward to the bright and shiny like-new ship. However, I am also glad that we have enough time for the bugs to be worked out!:eek: I must say that I would not have imagined the ship being imcomplete at the time of sailing. I am not a new cruiser and I am not new to CC. I have never seen problems as severe as this time. I am glad the OP had an overall nice time and I am thankful for the review. I will keep this in mind when I am booking a cruise or find I am booked on one scheduled for dry dock from now on.

Hi Nita!:)

I was glad to hear about the dry dock before our cruise in May as I am also looking forward to the bright and shiny like-new ship. However, I am also glad that we have enough time for the bugs to be worked out!:eek: I must say that I would not have imagined the ship being imcomplete at the time of sailing. I am not a new cruiser and I am not new to CC. I have never seen problems as severe as this time. I am glad the OP had an overall nice time and I am thankful for the review. I will keep this in mind when I am booking a cruise or find I am booked on one scheduled for dry dock from now on.

of course you are not new to cruising, we cruised together last January. LOL

If you are not a travel agent or haven't experienced a 1st cruise after dry dock, how would you know?? We were on NCL a few months ago 2 weeks after they came out of dry dock. No, nothing like what happened on Princess happened to us, but there were still little things that were being finished...

Nita

Totally agree here! I am leaving on this ship in April and was anxious to read anything about the post drydock..the good, the bad and the ugly! I would rather be prepared for what might be, than to live in a bubble. I think anyone booked on the ship in the near future appreciates the time these cruisers on the current voyage and the first out of drydock have taken to share what they experienced. and MANY still managed to have a great time and had good things to say. Embarking and disembarking can be a nightmare anywhere...it seems to happen more in sanjuan but "stuff happens".

okay here is my two cents. In October we sailed on carnival out of NOLA and we were the 5th sailing out of dry dock. The same thing happened. The first crusie out of dry dock was one that should not have sailed. I haven't checked the boards to find out if anyone has been compensated or not thus far. ( I will update if I find out over there. ) I feel that since Princess and Carinival are both owned by the same Carnival Corp. This may be a new thing. since my only two crusies this year have been 3-5 sailings out of dry dock I have read the good the bad and the ugly twice this year. I honestly thing the Fantsay passengers encountered more problems than the CB. every sailing from the first to the one I took 5th sailing left late. We were supose to leave NOLA at 5pm we left at 10pm. but everything else was all set by that point. We were given a 10.00 ship board credit for the late departure. I honestly don't remember if it was per guest or per cabin anyway it was nice for such a small inconvience. (all the sailings that left late got that credit by the way)

Anyway my two cents is this . there is no way for the average person to know when dry dock is unless you are constantly on line (like me checking these things out)

I think Post dry dock 1st crusise should be discounted. fill the ship and if there are problems no one can complain. Carnivale Corp is cutting things too close. If you know you got a great deal on the cruise you would look into why it is such a great price. You may now want to roll the dice and take a chance instead of C. Corp. the ball is now in the Cruisers court. If there are problems and you got a great deal no one should be upset. IF I pay as much as the person who has a perfectly run cruise I should be upset! We all know that repo cruises are less money why not post dry dock. everyone would win. I also think anyone that takes a first time cruise that was discounted and ran into problems are more likely to come back because they had some idea of what they are getting into. opposed to making so many people upset who will bring bad publisity to your business. A satisfied customer will bring you more business but the percentage of an unhappy customer ruining your business is greater. Bad spreads faster than good. you all know what I'm getting at.

Just my two cents.

I'm hopping most of the kinks are out by the 15th. I don't really care if the steakhouse is finished or not. I know I will have a great crusie.

Relli:)

Sorry you had such a miserable time - however, other than embark and disembark the other poster seemed to have a great time.

Ron

I'm sure that there was some good information in the OP's dissertation, but it was too difficult to read with huge paragraphs containing multiple subjects and small font. TMI.

Seems like there was a little too much micro view of everything and I guess if I wanted to look that hard I could find more - but I don't.

I was not on this voyage, but as an observer I have some opinions.

1. Not everything is perfect on any type of vacation. However, there are minor problems and there are major problems.

2. I would consider the following to be major and unacceptable problems:

-- Waiting six or more hours after boarding was supposed to start without boarding actually starting

-- Having construction zones in normal passenger areas which require extra effort to avoid

-- Construction dirt and dust in many public places

-- Departure procedures which do not allow those with earlier Princess assigned times to leave before those with later assigned times.

3. All of the above problems were in one way or another under the control of Princess, be it in the scheduling of the work or the organization of what happens once on board.

4. Passengers on this cruise paid the cost of a vacation that should not have had major problems. They did not receive what they had paid for. At the least, they should have received either some future cruise credits or onboard credits while on this cruise.

5. Yes, they did have a cruise that was mostly fun. It was just not the cruise experience they had paid for or expected to receive.

The internet packages were kind of a scam. We purchased a 100 minute package to email from a wireless laptop to stay in touch with our kids. The minutes seemed to be getting used up really fast and when we started timing our sessions we found out that it sometimes wouldn't log us off--it would hang and then continue charging us and when we'd use like 10 minutes and 4 seconds, it would round up to 11. We lost a lot of minutes this way. I felt cheated. Plus, the internet guy was clueless about a lot of stuff. He didn't know that there was a raffle for free minutes despite it being advertised in the Princess Patter, he didn't know why our minutes were being sucked away, etc. In general, there seemed to be a lack of service and not enough employees to handle the passengers that were on board.

I wonder if this ship "downsized" the crew because so many of the passengers were actually construction workers or something.

To sign out, just type http://1.1.1.1 or shut down your computer completely. Otherwise, you'll remain logged in and using your Internet minutes.

Complimentary Internet Packages

Each Platinum Member will receive a credit towards the purchase of a package in our Internet Cafés or on a personal laptop! The current internet packages on board have now been expanded fleetwide to include wireless internet! If you are Platinum and above the signup fee is waived

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less (equivalent to 150 minute package)

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days (equivalent to 250 minute package)

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days (equivalent to two 250 minute packages)

Internet on the embarkation day. They usually toss in 30 minutes free! Doesn't matter which package you buy. Must be done before 10pm

The connection is not high speed, more like a slow dial-up at home.

There may be times when Internet access is not available due to the ship's position.

okay here is my two cents. In October we sailed on carnival out of NOLA and we were the 5th sailing out of dry dock. The same thing happened. The first crusie out of dry dock was one that should not have sailed. I haven't checked the boards to find out if anyone has been compensated or not thus far. ( I will update if I find out over there. ) I feel that since Princess and Carinival are both owned by the same Carnival Corp. This may be a new thing. since my only two crusies this year have been 3-5 sailings out of dry dock I have read the good the bad and the ugly twice this year. I honestly thing the Fantsay passengers encountered more problems than the CB. every sailing from the first to the one I took 5th sailing left late. We were supose to leave NOLA at 5pm we left at 10pm. but everything else was all set by that point. We were given a 10.00 ship board credit for the late departure. I honestly don't remember if it was per guest or per cabin anyway it was nice for such a small inconvience. (all the sailings that left late got that credit by the way)

Anyway my two cents is this . there is no way for the average person to know when dry dock is unless you are constantly on line (like me checking these things out)

I think Post dry dock 1st crusise should be discounted. fill the ship and if there are problems no one can complain. Carnivale Corp is cutting things too close. If you know you got a great deal on the cruise you would look into why it is such a great price. You may now want to roll the dice and take a chance instead of C. Corp. the ball is now in the Cruisers court. If there are problems and you got a great deal no one should be upset. IF I pay as much as the person who has a perfectly run cruise I should be upset! We all know that repo cruises are less money why not post dry dock. everyone would win. I also think anyone that takes a first time cruise that was discounted and ran into problems are more likely to come back because they had some idea of what they are getting into. opposed to making so many people upset who will bring bad publisity to your business. A satisfied customer will bring you more business but the percentage of an unhappy customer ruining your business is greater. Bad spreads faster than good. you all know what I'm getting at.

Just my two cents.

I'm hopping most of the kinks are out by the 15th. I don't really care if the steakhouse is finished or not. I know I will have a great crusie.

Relli:)

I think you are absolutely right. If the cruise line "discounted" the first sailing out of dry dock, they would fill the ship, and passengers would be more understanding of the "inconveniences" because they got a great deal.

If they are going to charge full price, the passengers should get ALL of the advertised amenities!! And they have a right to be frustrated if they don't.

Passengers who are paying a lot of money, and anticipating a vacation for months, should be well aware of what they are purchasing. Princess dropped the ball on this one. But I'm glad most passengers had a good attitude and still had a great vacation. I have certainly learned to DO MY HOMEWORK before a cruise!!!

And as a side note... I am counting down the days until we sail on the CB on Feb. 8th!! Only 5 more sleeps... :D

So sorry to all who were on this cruise and experienced less than the stellar Princess cruising experience. I would feel much the same, as we save $ all year and look forward to "comfortable" cruising!

We sailed the CB in May and was supposed to be the first cruise after its initial scheduled dry dock. Whew.......glad it was canceled!!

Hi Louise,

Guess I'm finally happy that the dry dock was cancelled for our May cruise. It was a wonderful cruise without all the extras.

Donna

I apoligize for coming off as snippy to my fellow CCers...It just seemed natural to me to avoid a cruise right after drydock, I guess I researched this alot and know to give the ship a few runs to smooth things out....I am for one excited to travel Princess in May and want to see how all this pans out in the next couple of weeks....It just seemed like too many people were posting about how they waited for so long in line to get on and the casino wasnt done...etc. Give it time, they screwed up and Im sure they know it....Its still a cruise.....Make the best of it...am I wrong?

John

Archived