the obsession...of the seas

does anyone else do this?

so before my cruises i start a notebook in a 3 ring binder "cruise notes". where i compile all my cc info (from compasses and ports of call threads) and pictures and notes of things that worked on the last cruise that i dont want to forget...and then i type out an itinerary for each day titled "All things (Monday) (Monarch of the seas)- changing from day and ship. (including travel day, bc it is part of the vacation)then i start off reminding myself to take a picture of the day of the week on the elevator floor---and end the day telling myself to take a picture of the towel animal (this is how i divide the days in my photo albums). also inserted with each activity i plan out what my bf and i will wear that day (bathing suits, change of clothes and outfits for the MDR)! and i decide ahead of time if i will be wearing my hair straight or curly (based on how much time i will have to get ready)! then after the trip the compasses, final balance of how much we spent, and all kinds of cruise stuff gets added to the notebook. makes for a great resource for planning the next trip...but i really think i have a problem! ha!

...but i really think i have a problem! ha!

Yeah I agree...lol. ;) Just kidding! :D

You should see me on a ship. I take pictures of everything from the backs/sides of the cabin TVs (just in case someone here wants to know what they can hook into them) to the door locks on the balconies (for the parents who are worried if their child is going to get out on the balcony)

I should really just RELAX on a cruise. Doesn't always happen. ;)

my mom and dad are going on the solstice march 15th and i started planning stuff for her...she was like 'hey, this is my cruise"! i was like yeah but i know what you want to do...i was at those POC the past 2 summers!!! she has 2 weeks left and she hasnt even started shopping/packing and its driving me nuts! haha

when i plan its like i get to go on the cruise over and over!!!

Laura, that is a very healthy obsession. To me the planning is 1/2 the fun! It's like extending your vacation.

I have to admit that I did more of the wardrobe planning thing when I first started and now try to minimize my packing.

Some people just like to fly by the seat of their pants ... and they have fun too!!:D

While I love the pre-cruise "anticipation", I don't go quite as far as a 3-ring binder! I mean, it's a vacation--we sort of "play it by ear" for the most part! And as far as planning what my hubby will wear....nope--don't do that!

I go through the various posts on the ports of call boards and get my beach suggestions / recommendations and other things to do and kept it in my notes sections. Any information/suggestions that I can use that I get from the other boards, I comply it and then print off before the cruise. I seem to do this every single time I cruise and it never gets old.

Travel planning is my hobby now, but that's because I'm an unemployed/retired project manager! :D (Haven't figured out which I am yet.)

My family and friends love it, because I am always on the hunt for deals and airfares for them, all the while planning our cruises. My son just got back from a trip to Brazil and thanked me for making the spaghetti bowl air travel simple for him.

I start my notes when I book the cruise, and just keep plugging away at it until the cruise happens.

It's been invaluable to us in Europe, and we have saved a TON of money with me doing this. It's the research that is the answer, and finding out how to get places and what to do for the lowest price.

I check my prices every day, hunt for air, and get info on every place we go, including maps of airport terminals we've never been to.

Right now I have 4 cruises in the works: Caribbean with a b2b Bahamas on a different cruise line (THAT turnaround will be interesting!); a b2b South Seas and Australia with 3 different airlines and hotels; a family cruise back to the Caribbean with 4 cabins and an 85 year-old! I'm waiting until next week to check out double Transatlantics next year, so the air is cheaper: sail over, fly half the air, fly the other half six months later, sail back. TA's are the best bang for the buck IMO.

It's not obsession: it's planning :D:D

I don't have the binder, but do plan and document most everything before we go anywhere. I put it all into a folder that stays with me the entire vacation. My family laughs at 'Mom's folder' but they have grown to appreciate what it provides. While I plan as much as possible before leaving, once I get on a ship, its time to relax and yes I can because all the running around is done ahead of time.

I am stressing right now because I don't have another vacation planned right now so nothing to work on. Just can't seem to find a time this year for the whole family to take a trip :(. I'm still working on it, haven't given up yet.

I get rolling eyes and teasing from my family, but I don't care. They all like my work when the time comes for them to enjoy themselves!

It's just normal for me to do this stuff, because I'm a professional at it. Just a day at work for me!

I'm waiting until next week to check out double Transatlantics next year, so the air is cheaper: sail over, fly half the air, fly the other half six months later, sail back. TA's are the best bang for the buck IMO.

It's not obsession: it's planning :D:D

This is brilliant!! Why didn't I think of that. Roundtrip ticket, two cruises, one going and one coming back. Love it!

Laura

Yes, I have mine, and I've already got the sections for each excursion. I've contacted and reserved the excursions, the pre-cruise hotel, the rental car, the shuttle back to the airport. I've paid for most of them including the flight. Oh, and my cruise isn't until the end of September. Yes, I'm obsessed too. ;)

This is brilliant!! Why didn't I think of that. Roundtrip ticket, two cruises, one going and one coming back. Love it!

Laura

I can't take credit for it, though. I picked up the idea on the Cruise Air board. But, TAs almost always go down in price within the 30 days before the cruise, so you can get a reduction almost always. Right now, the April eastbounds are great prices, the air to Europe just went down last week, and today British Airways is having their Spring "2 nights free" deal. They should have all of this happening next year, too.

And, don't get me started on inexpensive ways to get around in the UK..............................I'd hijack this thread!!!:D

I love the planning, but I am not that obsessive. I work on each bit of a vacation over weeks or months depending on the time frame. I keep most of it my palm pilot and in a large manilla envelope that has dates on the front, with each activity and planned event and the copies of all reservations inside.

I tend to have two or three travel books for any destination and those along with the internet are my reference material as I look for unique activities... like Zorb in New Zealand or riding in a Zeppelin in Germany. I am very into unique experiences.

jc

I can't take credit for it, though. I picked up the idea on the Cruise Air board. But, TAs almost always go down in price within the 30 days before the cruise, so you can get a reduction almost always. Right now, the April eastbounds are great prices, the air to Europe just went down last week, and today British Airways is having their Spring "2 nights free" deal. They should have all of this happening next year, too.

And, don't get me started on inexpensive ways to get around in the UK..............................I'd hijack this thread!!!:D

I will check it out thanks for the tip.

Laura

I keep a travel folder with all the official travel docs in one pocket & other docs I've printed out in the other ... in the order we'll need them.

I also have a 8x7 spiral notebook for all of my handwritten notes & reminders ... at some point near start date, I condense them into a daily schedule, including my wardrobe needs for the day ... I leave room on each page to add the events from the Cruise Compass ... and during the cruise I use those pages as a diary, making notes on anything special we did, names of tour guides, etc

I love the planning, but I try to not overplan - we like a little bit of spontaneity sometimes!! I guess you have to find that balance between military precision & total chaos!

I am stressing right now because I don't have another vacation planned right now so nothing to work on.

Between this comment and the OP, I'm feeling normal. I'm not quite as intense as the OP but I have a folder for every cruise with everything imaginable in it just in case. We do have a land-based trip coming up but our son is planning the whole three weeks and I'm feeling very deprived. Not to mention, not having a clue what to pack. :(

em

I love the planning, but I try to not overplan - we like a little bit of spontaneity sometimes!! I guess you have to find that balance between military precision & total chaos!

This is the key! I explained it once to my oldest son who said I planned every minute of our cruises. I told him I actually didn't, but I did find out all about the options available to us, and document those. Then, DH and I discuss them, and make our final decision just before we go, sometimes the night before we arrive in a port. It's a great compromise, because I love the planning and research, and DH likes the last minute stuff. My husband and two sons are the king and two princes of procrastination!!!

I have a folder and a spiral note book. My family thinks that I spend too much time here. My kids (DD 24yo-DS 21yo) make fun of me. They went to a meet and mingle once and hated it. Said everyone was a nerd. DH thinks that I know a lot thanks to everyone here.

Last week I made DD and DH say the following to me. CC is wonderful and mom has learned alot about cruising that benefits me. They both reluctantly said it. Then I told them how I just got a $500 price drop on our cruise with them in June. They were excited. Guess they figure I'll spend it on them:eek:

wow ,i would drive you nuts im so not organized, my cruise is in three weeks and i havent even looked at excursions yet let alone put together a notebook.but i like the elevator and animal to start and end days pictures .if i remember to bring camera or batteries or memory card ,crap i need a notebook.;)

Archived