2 beds or 1

2 beds or 1....have others found that they don't get what they request? I wish that RC would read this and resolve this problem. We request 2 beds but because we are married, we always get one queen. Each cabin attendent tells us that they never get a request sheet with our preference and they have to guess. We always submit our 2 bed preference on our reservation. We are D+ and have rarely found 2 beds.....only if that was the way they were before we boarded. This policy of not telling the cabin attendents should be changed. On our last cruise, the cabin attendent was really upset that we wanted 2 beds because that was the way the last guests wanted them . Because we were married she put them together. The guests in the next cabin wanted 2 beds and the same story repeated. I felt sorry for her, but, we wanted 2 beds. It seems like a small thing since she can fix the problem when we go to dinner.....however, it is a lot of extra work for her and the situation would be resolved if they had a "manifest" (list of guests bed preferences) prior to our boarding. Has anyone else had this problem? How can it be resolved?

DW & I have the same problem in reverse. My given first name is often misinterpreted for a female name. Probably one out of 3 cruises we come in to 2 beds.

OTOH we've never had a steward that seemed the least bit put out by reconfiguring them at turn down.

For us it comes under the category of "No Big Deal".

Charlie

2 beds or 1....have others found that they don't get what they request? I wish that RC would read this and resolve this problem. We request 2 beds but because we are married, we always get one queen. Each cabin attendent tells us that they never get a request sheet with our preference and they have to guess. We always submit our 2 bed preference on our reservation. We are D+ and have rarely found 2 beds.....only if that was the way they were before we boarded. This policy of not telling the cabin attendents should be changed. On our last cruise, the cabin attendent was really upset that we wanted 2 beds because that was the way the last guests wanted them . Because we were married she put them together. The guests in the next cabin wanted 2 beds and the same story repeated. I felt sorry for her, but, we wanted 2 beds. It seems like a small thing since she can fix the problem when we go to dinner.....however, it is a lot of extra work for her and the situation would be resolved if they had a "manifest" (list of guests bed preferences) prior to our boarding. Has anyone else had this problem? How can it be resolved?

We have the opposite problem, since we are a same sex couple (and have different last names.) We ask for one bed and get two.

And other Quebec couples I have spoken to also have the opposite problem. You see, in Quebec, women have kept their maiden name since 1981.

You should see how much mail we get.. we can't seem to get them to acknowledge that we are one household... we get everything in duplicate.

One shouldn't have to tip in order to have the beds configured to their preference. In my experience, the cabin steward leaves the bed made as per the previous guest; if there is a change to be made, it will be made. It's part of their job.

It seems like a small thing since she can fix the problem when we go to dinner.....however, it is a lot of extra work for her...

Well, it's only a few minutes' work once during your cruise. It's not a daily thing to reconfigure. Just once.

Don't worry. :)

Iv requested 2 beds on my last 3 cruises. They can see 2 diferent names on the room. I asked my room steward and she said its standard for 1 queen bed . She canged it while we were at dinner. The morning we were to depart she was changing it back to a queen . I asked her if a couple was coming, she said she hadnt goten room names yet but the always set rooms up that way. 90% of travelers are couples. CARL

I personally don't think this is a major issue either. However, I have to wonder why RCL asks for your bed preference if the information is not going to be forwarded on to the cabin attendant. The OP has obviously sailed quite often and is questioning why they can't get it right.

Personally I think it is one more case of lack of communication.

OP-- if it happens on your next cruise just put it on your comment card.

Maybe the info will get to the right individual.

Rick

We go on a lot of cruises and we tip. But, I agree that giving the steward a tip for changing the bed configuration would, in my mind, be like tipping the waiter for bringing a soup spoon when you order soup.:D

Charlie

Why would you want two beds. I think that the cabin stewards automatically figure that a married couple would want to sleep together. How sad!

Why would you want two beds. I think that the cabin stewards automatically figure that a married couple would want to sleep together. How sad!
Why worry about it? It's their decision for their reason.

Why do some people sail in insides? Why do some save forever to only go in suites? Why do some never take an excursion?

Personal Choice: It's what makes me unique.......just like everyone else:p

Charlie

1. It may not be sad to the married couple. They may have a perfectly logical reason. Wow, talk about judging. :(

2. Ephraim, been on cruises with a couple in the same "boat" as you and they were always given separate beds, always had to ask to have it changed, and always got "that look" from the steward, lol.

3. I can't imagine giving $20 to ask the steward to change the beds. I'd like to make $20 for three minutes' work! Some of us don't cruise THAT MUCH and probably make less than the ones who've chosen to work on a ship because they make decent money in tips and CAN feed their families back home. :(

probably none of your business...........maybe it's more comfy?? maybe one is a light sleeper??? maybe cause it is sometimes easier to get around the cabin that way????:rolleyes:

probably none of your business...........maybe it's more comfy?? maybe one is a light sleeper??? maybe cause it is sometimes easier to get around the cabin that way????:rolleyes:

Thats why my DH and I have 2 beds. It is much easier to get out of bed in the middle of the night to go potty......plus there is more room to move around the room. Also the suitcases fit under the beds better. Plus it is much cozier in a twin bed! ;) :D

They need better communication from Miami to the cabin sewards.

Its not just RCL, we have had it happen numerous times on Princess and a few times on Celebrity. Just tell the room steward you want it seperated or together. They do it while you are at dinner andthey are makingthe beds up for the night. There should not be a problem or tipping for them to do that.

I thought it was just us! If they're not going to listen to you anyway, why even ask how you want the beds made up? That's what makes it frustrating.

When we have 3 people in our cabin, I also wish they'd pull down the pullman bed before we arrive. When we get up very early to travel to the ship, we'd like to be able to take a nap before dinner (we always have late seating). The beds can only be unlocked from the ceiling with a special tool, so it's not like you can just pull them down yourself. Everytime I've arrived on board and asked to have the bed lowered right then, I've always been told they had to wait until we went to dinner. Without a nap, Mommy gets cranky!

I thought it was just us! If they're not going to listen to you anyway, why even ask how you want the beds made up? That's what makes it frustrating.

When we have 3 people in our cabin, I also wish they'd pull down the pullman bed before we arrive. When we get up very early to travel to the ship, we'd like to be able to take a nap before dinner (we always have late seating). The beds can only be unlocked from the ceiling with a special tool, so it's not like you can just pull them down yourself. Everytime I've arrived on board and asked to have the bed lowered right then, I've always been told they had to wait until we went to dinner. Without a nap, Mommy gets cranky!

I never thought of this. We never had that problem with the kids and their beds that came out of the wall but that was on a different cruiseline. That is something they should do for you if you request it. My goodness, a nap does wonders for the travel weary.

Archived