Ruby - lunch only sandwiches?????

happy cruzer

At dinner last night I was recommending an itenary on the Ruby Princess to some friends, so today I was reading a review that said

Princess has resorted to sandwiches only at the lunch time buffet everyday. On previous cruises there were hot choices and the Horizon Court had one side open all day.

Well, that was news to me. How long has sandwiches only being going on??

Thanks

At dinner last night I was recommending an itenary on the Ruby Princess to some friends, so today I was reading a review that said

Princess has resorted to sandwiches only at the lunch time buffet everyday. On previous cruises there were hot choices and the Horizon Court had one side open all day.

Thanks

Funny reveiw, and definitely not corrrect. My guess someone returned to the ship late after a tour and was there during the transition from lunch to dinner where there is a smaller amount of food available on the buffet. In other words, no, there are still lots of hot items on the buffet at lunchtime, not just sandwiches.

Thanks

Sounds to me like that reviewer thought that the lunch buffet place was the International Cafe

On the Ruby the week of March 28, the lunch choices were:

dining room full service

salads and sandwiches in the International Cafe

Horizon Court full buffet

pizza

burgers and hot dogs by the pool

room service

You were given incorrect information.

Sounds like the reviewer got lost and found the International. This is why they put all the dining information in the Patter, the dining facilities are shown on the neat little bifold card they give you with the ship layout and the the public areas are shown in the elevator and yet some folks get lost in their cabin.

I read a review by someone who never went to the dining room. She had Anytime Dining and couldn't get a reservation. Apparently she didn't know you could just show up, you didn't need a reservation. At the end of her review she complained about this.

We just returned from the Caribbean Princess and are booked for the Ruby. We've been on 12 Princess cruises and the selection of food in the Horizon Court has definitely decreased. Many days there were only a few toppings for salads and they didn't have the salads we always enjoyed before like shrimp salad, tuna salad, pasta salad. Don't get me wrong - there was plenty to eat, but the selection was less.

Speaking of sandwiches...

The sandwich bar in Horizon Court that opens ~3pm daily is a favorite with us. I wish they would open it for lunch.

Much of the food at lunch is just too heavy for us. The sandwich bar would be a perfect alternative for those not interested in the regular lunch fare.

So much nicer than braised mutton with a side of deep fried brussels sprouts in turkey gravy for lunch... ;)

Lew

The reviewer must have arrived for the lunch buffet in the late afternoon--- it's true , a sandwich bar is the main attraction during that transitional time. It is, however, a really nice sandwich bar with a lovely selection of breads, sandwich meats and cheeses, and a server to make your sandwich to order. On our Ruby cruise in January, there was an older gentleman who seemed to be in the buffet every day at noontime, complaining he wanted a sandwich made to order and he wanted it NOW!! Actually it worked, I saw a waiter emerge from the back with a sandwich on a plate for him.

The reviewer must have arrived for the lunch buffet in the late afternoon--- it's true , a sandwich bar is the main attraction during that transitional time. It is, however, a really nice sandwich bar with a lovely selection of breads, sandwich meats and cheeses, and a server to make your sandwich to order. On our Ruby cruise in January, there was an older gentleman who seemed to be in the buffet every day at noontime, complaining he wanted a sandwich made to order and he wanted it NOW!! Actually it worked, I saw a waiter emerge from the back with a sandwich on a plate for him.

You're being kind. I wouldn't call him a gentleman, I'd call him a PITA big mouth!

The sandwiches are great, especially the Philly cheese steak and the Reubens. However, the only time we can experience them is if we return to the ship after the regular lunch buffet has closed. (Usually after 2:30 PM)

Much of the food at lunch is just too heavy for us. The sandwich bar would be a perfect alternative for those not interested in the regular lunch fare.

You know what, me too. I thought I was weird, but at least I'm not alone in this. I love a sandwich for lunch, but so many of the offerings are hot foods, which I don't take at lunch time. On Embarkation day on Emerald, I couldn't find a sandwich in the HC or CC and had to make my own with two pieces of bread and some tuna salad. The (premade) sandwiches started showing up the next day. Interesting.

One thing that I thought was really weird on the Ruby's 3/28 sailing is that the Horizon Court was not open for lunch until 12:10pm - yes, 12:10 and not a minute sooner! We asked a few crew members about it and they said, "That's just when it opens", no other explanation. Sure enough, every day at 12:10pm on the dot, it would open. :cool:

For dinner, the Horizon Court was not open. You had to go back to the Cafe Caribe every night where they had many choices.

Does the sandwich bar have just cold sandwiches, or do they make grilled (pannini) sandwiches?

See post #11 above. Yes, hot sandwiches, but not until about 3:00 PM. You can also get a panini at the IC.

Yes the sandwiches in the Horizon Court are great for a late lunch if you arrive back from a tour, say 3pm, then have the complimentary ice cream to wash it all down.

We always have second sitting dinner, so a late sandwich lunch works for us.

Guess we must've missed that because we never saw any warm sandwiches in the HC, IC or Cafe Caribe. Lots of cold ones, no hot ones. :cool:

Never saw a panini grill either. With HAL and Carnival, it's right in front of you and you tell the chef what meats, cheeses, sauces you want on it and he makes it right in front of you.

Archived