RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

We just booked RIL again for our stop in Rome this coming June 2012 after having used them last May 2011. After the wonderful job Vinny did last year we wouldn't have it any other way. Jany took care of everything for us including booking our Vatican guide Julia. I just can't say enough wonderful things about RIL! They are prompt, courteous and just full of information. They will make your day in Rome unforgettable!!!

I’m wondering what is the value added by using RIL for a transfer from FCO to our precruise Rome hotel? I understand that taking the train is easy but I have no interest in schlepping my luggage after an all night flight so I can clearly see the value of paying 40 Euro for a taxi. My specific question is what “extra” value does RIL provide over a taxi for a transfer? After reading this thread there is no doubt they provide extra value on tours, but my question is specifically on a transfer.

I can only tell you our experience. We arrived in Rome 3 hours late last year and were pretty tired, frustrated and excited at the same time. It was WONDERFUL to come out of the luggage area and have our driver standing there with a sign with our name on it. He grabbed the luggage, welcomed us and we were on our way within 5 minutes, at our hotel in 30. For the extra 15-20E (I can't remember if it was 55 or 60) it was worth to us. Especially since it was our first visit.

I’m wondering what is the value added by using RIL for a transfer from FCO to our precruise Rome hotel? I understand that taking the train is easy but I have no interest in schlepping my luggage after an all night flight so I can clearly see the value of paying 40 Euro for a taxi. My specific question is what “extra” value does RIL provide over a taxi for a transfer? After reading this thread there is no doubt they provide extra value on tours, but my question is specifically on a transfer.

We used RIL for all of our pre and post cruise transfers as well as a couple of tours. Last summer we were a group of 9. Our plane was late landing and then took forever getting our luggage. It was well worth it to go through the glass doors to the reception area at FCO and see the professional Rome in

Limo driver waiting on us. They had us in 2 vans so us and our luggage had plenty of room. With all of our luggage we would have had to take at least 3, maybe 4 taxis if we had gone that route. I think total cost was 130 euros and well worth it. They took us to the front door of our apartment, unloaded all the luggage and waited til the real estate agent came downstairs and then made sure we were in good hands and all ok prior to leaving. We were also given 2 bottles of wine which we really enjoyed that evening.

We also used them from apartment to ship with a detour to Castel Bracianno and also port to airport after the cruise.

We're heading again to Rome next summer. We already have tours and transportation booked with Rome in Limo.

I agree - we did 2 RIL tours - one with 6 people and one with 8. Although both worked well and we were comfortable in both types of vans, the group of 6 felt a little more personalized.

Yes, we've done both also... and it's just not worth saving 12 euros per person. LOL:) With 6 people everyone can really have an input. And things like stopping for the restroom (something I always need) is effortless.

IMO there's no big difference. Taxis are waiting right outside the doors where the "car services" are waiting inside -- so it's a matter of a few more steps before you reach your driver. And actually, the taxis may be parked closer to the airport than hired cars based on the experience I had.

Taxis are there at all hours, so you don't have to worry if your flight is delayed or early or late or whatever. Just find an official taxi, hop in and go. Use the extra euros for a nice glass of wine or two.

What date and what ship are you on???

Sorry I haven't posted--but this message that you asked about was posted June of 2009, BUT......... we have just recently got back from B2B Solstice from BCN to Cannes/Florence/Rome/Naples/Dubrovnik/Venice /Kotor & back to Barcelona where we then came west to Florida after touring Spain & Portugal, then spent 4 days in Orlando. Then home in time for the Holidays.

I already attempted to post about 3 hours ago & it went to cyber space. so thought I'd give the boards time to settle in & so far haven't lost anything YET!! I will copy & paste this one though.

So as per RIL--they are FABULOUS I would never consider anyone else for Italy. This was my 2nd time using them. ( we used them in 2009 & this time 2011) Duman & Jany are FANTASTIC & so are those who work for them. I haven't even had time since coming home to sort thru my photos (lets say almost 16gb of them) & I have a horrible memory for names. (AND it will be a bit more time before I can load them & go thru them--I am having a big toe joint replacement next Wed & will be FLAT on my back with the foot up & ice for 5 days.)

I had 2 vans of 8 people each for Pisa & Florence--GREAT tour & sightseeing we had 2 drivers Gian (ours) & Walter for 8 other people. It was cold that day & when we got out of the van I immediately bought a souvenir "a Pisa sweatshirt".

Rome, we had been there as I said in 2009 so we did the Vatican & Sistine Chapel then. So this time we got 1 van for the Catacombs plus around Rome--since I lost all my pics from 2009 from BCN & Rome-- I got new ones.:D

Our driver in Rome was Rolando who was GREAT. I try to get my groups together on the ship so that when we go off we are pretty much all together & then we can get ahead of alot of other tours while they are loading up their people--this seems to work well.

Rolando gave us all sorts of information & our day & tour was GREAT--even on the way back to the ship we did talk about what would happen if it was late....Rolando told us he'd just drive us down to Naples the next day stop, & I bet if he'd thought he would be late he WOULD do the driving. We got to listen to his daughter's music CD & then when she was done he sang for us, so we now know where she got her beautiful voice from.

Naples we joined one of Rosemarie's tours ( Hi Rosemarie) also using RIL our driver was Ciro. We also had a great tour with him & as Rosemarie said we had a guide...thank goodness or we'd not have know half the stuff--as we were leaving Pompeii the sun was starting to set--beautiful pictures Well I haven't had time to look at them yet.

We have never had any worries (even if we thought we might) using RIL Duman must make sure really well that the people he hires REALLY know their way around each area & are very polite.

On the Naples tour we made stops in Sorrento & Positano. Now I would love to go back & spend a bit of time around Sorrento & Positano, although I was able to do some Christmas shopping while there.

I just love Italy & again I would NEVER give a thought to hiring anyone in Italy just RIL, they take care of you well. :D:D love them.

Edited by kehlx2

We booked RomeinLimo for our day in Rome. Nick was our driver and was waiting for us as we as we left the ship. He was able to get around traffic jams, bottlenecks to get us to the sites we wanted to visit. He explained Roman history in detail and was very knowledge. He took his time, made sure we took our time to explore the sites, answered our questions and was very outgoing and friendly.

At lunch he wanted to know which type of lunch we needed, sit down or quick. We elected quick and he took us to a location and pointed out 4+ restaurants, their specialties and advised of the moderate prices.

As we left the van, it was sprinkling and he gave each couple an umbrella to use. He said he would be back in 1 hour, and there he was.

He took us to meet our Vatican guide, Katherine. She was very good and knowledgeable on the Vatican. She was very good at guiding us around large tour bus groups, getting us to locations where we could hear her explanations. She pointed out the most prominent parts of the Vatican which helped to avoid the crowds.

Nick had indicated what time he wanted us back to the van, so as to make it back to the ship, and she did.

We saw parts of Rome we would not have seen had we tried to do it on our own.

We recommend RomeinLimo 100%, give them a 5+star rating and would use them again. We have already recommended to future cruisers and they have booked with them.

If you go with RomeinLimo, be sure to request Nick and Katherine. You won't go wrong.:):):):):)

Our driver in Rome was Rolando who was GREAT. I try to get my groups together on the ship so that when we go off we are pretty much all together & then we can get ahead of alot of other tours while they are loading up their people--this seems to work well.

Rolando gave us all sorts of information & our day & tour was GREAT--even on the way back to the ship we did talk about what would happen if it was late....Rolando told us he'd just drive us down to Naples the next day stop, & I bet if he'd thought he would be late he WOULD do the driving. We got to listen to his daughter's music CD & then when she was done he sang for us, so we now know where she got her beautiful voice from.

Isn't Rolando wonderful?? I just loved his "Thanks, God" expression!!

Based on all of the wonderful reviews here, I just requested quotes from RIL for Livorno, Rome, and Naples for my September cruise.

I am worried about 2 things: 1) how to organize the tour on CC roll call with strangers and feel secure that they will not back out and cost the remainder of the group more money and 2) how to have the cash on hand to pay for 3-4 private excursions during the cruise. I will not have enough days pre-cruise in Europe to withdraw enough cash (based on my bank's daily ATM limits) and I would be nervous flying with that much cash (not to mention the poor exchange rate at banks/airports).

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Courtney

2) how to have the cash on hand to pay for 3-4 private excursions during the cruise. I will not have enough days pre-cruise in Europe to withdraw enough cash (based on my bank's daily ATM limits) and I would be nervous flying with that much cash (not to mention the poor exchange rate at banks/airports).

Courtney

Euro travelors checks. Many will call them dinosaurs, but they are one of two forms of payment RIL accepts, and they work.

Where do you get yours?! I previously checked and my bank doesn't do travelers checks of any sort (not sure if they fact they are a credit union has anything to do with that). Can you go to a different bank with cash in hand or a personal check and have them issue you a travelers check in a foreign currency?

Sorry for all of the questions. But a travelers check would certainly make me feel a lot more comfortable.

Euro travelors checks. Many will call them dinosaurs, but they are one of two forms of payment RIL accepts, and they work.

Based on all of the wonderful reviews here, I just requested quotes from RIL for Livorno, Rome, and Naples for my September cruise.

I am worried about 2 things: 1) how to organize the tour on CC roll call with strangers and feel secure that they will not back out and cost the remainder of the group more money and 2) how to have the cash on hand to pay for 3-4 private excursions during the cruise. I will not have enough days pre-cruise in Europe to withdraw enough cash (based on my bank's daily ATM limits) and I would be nervous flying with that much cash (not to mention the poor exchange rate at banks/airports).

Courtney

Go to http://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/ and set up a tour. Then, on your roll call, point others to the tour you set up. Anyone interested needs to reserve spaces on that tour and provide their CC#. As the refund deadline approaches, you should have a good idea of your headcount. RIL should only charge based on the actual # of people in the group. Just confirm w/them ahead of time if the total # puts you into a different price category, to be safe.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I'm a little confused about RIL. Is the driver, just a driver, or is he/she a guide as well ? Would I need to hire a guide in addition to the drive, for a private tour of 2 or 4 people for Rome ?

Also, as far as the Euro travelers checks, in the email I got the other day from RIL, they said cash was the only final payment way.

From what I have read, the RIL driver is a good tour guide while you are in the car. However, if you would like a tour guide while in a particular site, then you will need to hire one. It seems that the most common places to ask for a tour guide are the Vatican (museum + St. Peter's) as well as in Pompeii.

In my email this morning to RIL, I asked about the cost of these guides and I was told 150 EUR for the Vatican tour guide (1 fee per tour group) and 100 EUR for the Pompeii guide.

We are hoping for a group of 8 (my husband and I plus 3 other couples from the roll call), so those prices aren't bad when split across the group.

I'm a little confused about RIL. Is the driver, just a driver, or is he/she a guide as well ? Would I need to hire a guide in addition to the drive, for a private tour of 2 or 4 people for Rome ?

Also, as far as the Euro travelers checks, in the email I got the other day from RIL, they said cash was the only final payment way.

RIL tells me they strongly recommend a Vatican guide. For groups larger than 8 people, a guide is included with your tour (no add'l charge), so paying for a separate guide at any attraction isn't needed. Some people like this, while maybe some repeat visitors might prefer the flexibility of being able to "wing it" w/o a guide.

RIL tells me they strongly recommend a Vatican guide. For groups larger than 8 people, a guide is included with your tour (no add'l charge), so paying for a separate guide at any attraction isn't needed. Some people like this, while maybe some repeat visitors might prefer the flexibility of being able to "wing it" w/o a guide.

Yes, but the Vatican guide is not going to make sure you personally can hear everything they say or answer all your questions. They have to answer to the entire group. Also, you can't linger at an exhibit that draws your attention or skip ones that don't. A personal guide can cater to your interests. For example, my mother is quite hard of hearing and is handicapped. If she were to get knocked and fall down it would probably kill her. In such a busy location it was nice having our guide wrap her arm in my mother's to guide her and keep her from getting bumped. She also spoke directly into my mother's ear so that she could hear. So for me, the cost of the guide was priceless.

If true a nice perk for larger groups, 3 years ago we were a party of 15 and still had to pay for the extra guide, entry tickets.

No question worth it for multiple reason free or not.

1) Vatican is just crowded like crazy and to get in and out and see the important stuff you need to know what you are doing and short cuts. With guide you skip the lines and get the direct path. For some takes all the fun and expoloration out, but you are on a cruise with limited time in Rome.

2) YOu do want to learn something and a few hours at the Vatican ain't enough time to read and stroll. The guide we had was great in both the Museum as well as the St Peter's.

Thanks for that info. I asked RIL to move our existing booking onto that site in case people want to join...

That's a really nice feature for them to offer.

Go to http://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/ and set up a tour. Then, on your roll call, point others to the tour you set up. Anyone interested needs to reserve spaces on that tour and provide their CC#. As the refund deadline approaches, you should have a good idea of your headcount. RIL should only charge based on the actual # of people in the group. Just confirm w/them ahead of time if the total # puts you into a different price category, to be safe.

We're planning on picking up the Euros in Barcelona probably. Plus. I travel with one of these, which I secure somewhere in the cabin or at the very least lock inside the safe...

51q0TvpWu5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=visualbasicres02&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B000GOYCYU

Courtney

I struggled with this as well our our trip 3 years ago. How do you take payment for private tours for 11-15 in 5 ports. In the end decided to just take the euros from the US. In hundreds not too bad, a rather thick body money belt but once in safe, no sweat. To try and exchange dollars or checks is a hassle and the last thing you want to do in European port with tight time is find multiple ATMs to extract a 1000 or more euros.

Where do you get yours?! I previously checked and my bank doesn't do travelers checks of any sort (not sure if they fact they are a credit union has anything to do with that). Can you go to a different bank with cash in hand or a personal check and have them issue you a travelers check in a foreign currency?

Sorry for all of the questions. But a travelers check would certainly make me feel a lot more comfortable.

I struggled with this as well our our trip 3 years ago. How do you take payment for private tours for 11-15 in 5 ports. In the end decided to just take the euros from the US. In hundreds not too bad, a rather thick body money belt but once in safe, no sweat. To try and exchange dollars or checks is a hassle and the last thing you want to do in European port with tight time is find multiple ATMs to extract a 1000 or more euros.

I do think your body language is important also. To me, someone that acts nervous because they are carrying a lot of money is more apt to be targeted than someone who acts likes they haven't a dime on them. I too carried my money with me on our trip. I had around 6,000 Euros and my actions showed I had nothing. Spending my day looking for ATMs was not what I wanted to do. It was much easier for me to get the money in advance, put it in envelopes for each day in my binder. I admit, I trusted my hotel and once on the ship I only took out the envelope I needed for the day. Let's face it - you have the flight and the trip to the hotel or the ship - otherwise your money is secure in the safe in the cabin. Except for the transfer, it's not like you are walking around town with the whole amount on you.