RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

If you are Australian you don't have to tip as tipping is not expected in Italy. :)

I don't thnk that's true....every guide site I've been to when describing charges clearly states total "not including tip" this would indicate to me that a tip is expected if earned.....and I've never read anywhere that "tipping is not expected in Italy" quite the opposite frankly.:confused:

I don't thnk that's true....every guide site I've been to when describing charges clearly states total "not including tip" this would indicate to me that a tip is expected if earned.....and I've never read anywhere that "tipping is not expected in Italy" quite the opposite frankly.:confused:

We rented an appartment for a few days in Rome last year from an Italian who lived in Rome & he told me not to tip - he said the Italians find it offensive. I understand this as it is the way I feel as well. We did a tour and an American couple gave the guide a tip. I started to get some money out explaining to the guide I didn't know you had to tip. He waved me off saying "no you are Australian you don't have to tip."

Tipping in Europe is not standard practice but Americans don't follow the rules in other countries so I think the majority of Europeans now accept that Americans will tip and no offence is intended. Some of them just think Americans are crazy : )

It was explained to me that Europeans would prefer it if people were polite, enjoyed their meal or tour and came back again or recommended the restaurant or tour to friends.

Edited by paddingtonbear

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to book them for our day in Rome (possibly others too) and I can't decide if I should spend the other 350 euros and hire the tour guide. Or, just hire the guide for the Vatican? Any suggestions? It will be my husband and I and our 3 kids (13,12 and 9). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

You definitely do not need to hire an additional guide except for Sarah, the Vatican guide who will be waiting for you when you arrive. All the RIL drivers are extremely knowledgeable and will give you a running commentary the entire time you are in the car. They'll even have some posters and notebooks for you to look at. The best we've ever had was Vincenzo who lived in Canada for 12 years (I tell you this because his English was wonderful) prior to returning to his home in order to be a guide. He'll even have lunch reservations for you. He took us to a divine restaurant and there was a pre-arranged (4 course) divine meal that included bottles of wine and desserts. Our group said it was the best meal of the entire trip. The price was reasonable and the best part was not having to wait--this gave us more time at the Vatican.

We booked Rome in Limo for 3 of our stops on our last cruise. (Rome, Florence/Pisa and Pompeii/Amalfi coast. All of our drivers were great!! We loved every tour and we are using them again for our cruise this May for Rome and Florence and they are more than willing to customize the tour so that we can do some different sights.:)

We rented an appartment for a few days in Rome last year from an Italian who lived in Rome & he told me not to tip - he said the Italians find it offensive. I understand this as it is the way I feel as well. We did a tour and an American couple gave the guide a tip. I started to get some money out explaining to the guide I didn't know you had to tip. He waved me off saying "no you are Australian you don't have to tip."

Tipping in Europe is not standard practice but Americans don't follow the rules in other countries so I think the majority of Europeans now accept that Americans will tip and no offence is intended. Some of them just think Americans are crazy : )

It was explained to me that Europeans would prefer it if people were polite, enjoyed their meal or tour and came back again or recommended the restaurant or tour to friends.

OK...but if this is all true then why do almost all the tour websites state prices as:

NOT INCLUDING TIP

That would certainly indicate to me that a tip is normal and expected, if not they would state an all inclusive price and say no tip or gratuity expected. I agree with you in the restaurants by the way, just not the same with tours/guides/drivers.

OK...but if this is all true then why do almost all the tour websites state prices as:

NOT INCLUDING TIP

That would certainly indicate to me that a tip is normal and expected, if not they would state an all inclusive price and say no tip or gratuity expected. I agree with you in the restaurants by the way, just not the same with tours/guides/drivers.

I think most of the ship tours are catering for Americans so they add this. When I said "tour" I didn't mean ship tours but independantly organised tours. It is just what Italians told me over and over while we were in Italy. We were not associated with a cruise at the time but independently touring - not sure if that makes a difference.

Regardless tipping is a personal thing. Your choice.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I think most of the ship tours are catering for Americans so they add this. When I said "tour" I didn't mean ship tours but independantly organised tours. It is just what Italians told me over and over while we were in Italy. We were not associated with a cruise at the time but independently touring - not sure if that makes a difference.

This from RomeInLimos own website:

TIPPING:

Tipping is not included in our service fees. It is never mandatory although it is always appreciated.

Standard tipping in Italy ranges between 10 and 20 % depending always on the satisfaction of services.

This from RomeInLimos own website:

TIPPING:

Tipping is not included in our service fees. It is never mandatory although it is always appreciated.

Standard tipping in Italy ranges between 10 and 20 % depending always on the satisfaction of services.

Just because they put it on their web site doesn't make it so, after all, they have a vested interest in convincing you that this is true (happier employees, with none of the extra money coming out of their corporate coffers).

I was also NOT referring to a ship's tour but a private one...but as you say it IS a personal thing...'nuff said...:)

Ciao All!!

After reading another review I came upon info on Rome In a Limo (RIL) and thought it a great tour option idea for the larger Italian touring ports and am wondering a few things:

1. What ports would RIL be best suited (seeing the most for the least)?

2. Are there other similar “limo” tours?

3. What is the actual cost (per person) for one of these tours?

4. What makes these tours so superior to a ship excursion?

Grazie!

There is a huge thread just down the board on Rome in Limo - it has over 1600 posts. That will answer most of your questions.

In summary, a private tour is a far, far , FAR, better use of your time in Europe's high density cities, packed with important sites to see. If you ever been on a ship's excursion with 45 of your new best buddies, 2 or 3 of which can't tell time, or don't care what the schedule is, you will immediately see the advantage of a private tour.

Rome in Limo operates in Florence, Rome, Naples and Sicily.

Here is the link of some discussion: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986987

We used them in 3 ports, they aren't the cheapest but the xperiene was good; for Rome, Florence/Pisa, and Naples.

Ciao All!!

After reading another review I came upon info on Rome In a Limo (RIL) and thought it a great tour option idea for the larger Italian touring ports and am wondering a few things:

Grazie!

Grazie!

1. RIL is an excellent option when the port is somewhat distant from the place you really want to tour (e.g. Civitivecchia/Rome, Livorno/Florence, Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi) The size of the port doesn't strike me as an issue. The tourist sites in Rome, for example, are quite compact with the Colosseum/Forum being comparatively distant (but not really distant) in one direction. Ditto for the Vatican in a different direction.

2. Yes. Search this board for other positively reviewed companies in different ports.

3. There's no single price. The number of participants and the specific itinerary combine to produce a price. Contact the scheduler for each limo if you want specifics.

4. Personal control and flexibility. You're the boss in a private tour. The driver takes you where you want to go and stays for as long as you want to stay.

Ciao All!!

1. What ports would RIL be best suited (seeing the most for the least)? I think a private tour is very important in Livorno, Naples, Civitavecchia and Sicily. I have toured with them in all these places and they really are incredible

2. Are there other similar “limo” tours? There are many different recommended touring companies.

3. What is the actual cost (per person) for one of these tours? It all depends on how many people are in your party and what size of vehicle you are wanting.

4. What makes these tours so superior to a ship excursion? I could go on and on about this subject. My first time cruising the Med. my husband and I just got married and I didn't know much about private tours. We had someone on our Cruise Critic roll call that invited us to join one tour and the rest were ship excursions. The difference is just amazing. I will never again follow around 50 others on a big tour bus. It was a miserable experience and there was so much wasted time waiting on others. I would rather see a port on my own than do another ship tour. But I do think that most of these big, incredible cities are worth the expense of a private tour. And we've also met some incredible guides on private tours all over the world.

Grazie!

Like others have said, there is a thread with more about Romeinlimo with tons of information and recommendations.

Good luck planning!

Ciao All!!

Grazie!

As a fellow trekker, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your avatar and your location! Live long and prosper!!

We did several Rome in Limo tours. During the one in Rome, 6 of us were c omfortably sitting in a huge stretch limo, with air conditioning and bottled water with a charming, knowledgeable, funny guiide-- all at a cost of LESS MONEY than the ship's tour.

We passed a Rest Stop. There was the bus from the ship's tour, with 50 people in line waiting to pee..... took a long time for them, and we were almost to Rome before they finished!

The ship's tour: NEVER veers from its itenerary. Buses are large... they are NOT ALLOWED on many of the narrow streets in Italy, and drop you off blocks and blocks from the sights. On a ship's tour, we passed many things that I thought "Oh, stop! I want a photo! I want to see that!", but of course.. no chance.

On Rome in Limo: See something interesting-- driver will stop so you can see it and tell you all about it. Need to pee? driver knows all the cafes, etc. where you can pee. He takes you int he narrow streets and drops you off Right in Front of the sights, picks you up there too. Lots of flexibility. Comfort. AND AT A LOWER COST.

I think I will always use private tours now instead of the ship. Rome in Limo is EXCELLENT.. THE BEST! Personal service.... A+++++. I highly recommend them.

Another example of why private tours are so much better than the ships' tours (and COST LESS TOO).

In Florence, 5 of us from a Rome in Limo tour were eating inside a restaurant, off a large square. (of course, no cars allowed in the square, so the limo was parked as close as it could be-- about 1-1/2 blocks away).

Halfway through lunch, our wonderful guide/driver Fabrizio comes in to the restaurant and says "folks, it just started to pour. Enjoy your lunch, take your time. But here are some umbrellas for you, so that when you are done, you won't get wet walking back to the limo". It truly was pouring, and when we finished lunch we were so grateful to have the umbrellas.

WOW! To me that is the ultimate service. I did not take any other private tour company other than Rome in Limo, but they were so excellent, we booked with them for two other cities.... :cool:

We did several Rome in Limo tours. During the one in Rome, 6 of us were c omfortably sitting in a huge stretch limo, with air conditioning and bottled water with a charming, knowledgeable, funny guiide-- all at a cost of LESS MONEY than the ship's tour.

Are you sure you used RIL. The don't actually have huge stretch limos. They have sedans, mini vans and mini buses but nothing close to stretch limos. Not even sure they could get around any easier then a bus could is some of those tight places. I never even saw a American type limo in Europe. Their website even states mini van for 6 people.

Just wish we could go back again although I doubt we will been here 3 times.

ok---we use RIL because it was so well rated & after using them--there was no need to find another tour company, as they say--don't FIX what isn't broken!!

I agree having been in ship tours--buses & they cannot go within alot of the cities- it makes things a lot better & you leave the port much earlier than the buses as they are loading up. I have my group using RIL meet on the ship so we can go out together & not have any strays wandering around & then off we go on our tours.

Tipping it is your choice, but we are: Some of them just think Americans are crazy : ) : ^ ) we have just learned that from the time we are almost adults, if service is good or excellent--we tip.

We also like that we are small groups & treated great by our drivers & guides. Duman hires the BEST people to serve us tourists & to make sure we have a GREAT time.

Now in the future we would love to come over & spend a few days in Sorrento & we would use RIL to take us there & perhaps bring us back.

AND--Jany--the person who puts us all together & makes sure to answer any & ALL of our questions before we arrive.

Duman has a GREAT bunch of people working for him & they all are very happy--being happy means they like their jobs...OOPS--I repeated myself on this part--but that is ok--they are GREAT.

Hi,

What other tour companies are you considering? I will also be in Italy in July? Thanks!

My wife and I used Romeinlimo for the second time last month in Rome for both transfers from the airport to port and an afternoon to Ostia Antica. On time, professional, and very knowledgeable. Would not consider anyone else due to the customization and dependability. There is much to see in Italy and they have always made it special.

There is a huge thread just down the board on Rome in Limo - it has over 1600 posts. That will answer most of your questions.

In summary, a private tour is a far, far , FAR, better use of your time in Europe's high density cities, packed with important sites to see. If you ever been on a ship's excursion with 45 of your new best buddies, 2 or 3 of which can't tell time, or don't care what the schedule is, you will immediately see the advantage of a private tour.

Rome in Limo operates in Florence, Rome, Naples and Sicily.

I'm stealing this line! LOL :D