Mariner May 10 PNW pros and cons

The Mariner is quite beautiful, which I expected as we have cruised her sister Navigator 5 times. Since I really booked this cruise for the ship, I wasn't concerned about the itinerary change. The crew was so friendly and service was very prompt in the WJ, more so than other ships we have sailed. MTD service was spotty, but we surely liked having flexible dining times. Our first 3 nights, the service was quick and efficient, but we had little interaction with our waitstaff, and of course, the 2 top tables are only about 4 inches apart in many areas of the dining room on 5. We met a couple on the first formal night who were seated near us, and we decided to meet the next night and dine together at a table for 4. We just advised the head waiter ( a great guy who was very visable every night) and we were accomodated. The next night we dined at Portofino, so we had advised our table mates that we would not see them that evening. My seafood skewer was the best that I have had so far (after 4 dinners on different ships) with a nice sized portion of lobster. However, my husband's steak was the worst he has ever had, including any from the dining room. It was not only over-cooked, but tasted off. He should have sent it back, but he didn't. I would have. Next night in the MTD, we arrived a bit earlier than our usual 6:30 and were led to a table overlooking the rail right in front of the chandalier that was NOT crowded up to other tables. It was a great table and we reserved it for the rest of the cruise. The waiter was very personable but not nearly as efficient as our first waiter. Tho' it's not perfect, I believe we will continue to use MTD. BTW, we were out of the dining room in an hour and a half nearly every night. I greatly enjoyed Ian in the pub and the "Pure Energy" show as the cast is really talented. Didn't care for the magic show, but that is just me. Besides, I think they disenbarked upon our return. We had lunch in the dining room twice. What a great salad bar!! And the waitstaff were very attuned to getting you in and out in a timely fashion. The pasta dish and the Moroccan lamb pita were very good, however, the quiche was tastless. We had the "old" Diamond coupon books, so we had the free photo, free drink, free JR's and free Ben & Jerry's. I also enjoyed the Vintages coupon for buy 1 glass of wine and get a second for 75% off of the same price or higher. That way I got 2 glasses of very good wine for about $.40 less that if I'd had 2 glasses of La Terrible. The CL was very crowded even tho' an overflow lounge was available each evening in the Dragon's Lair. Not my favorite place as it is dark and gloomy, but the hors d'ouvres (sp?) were better there than in the CL. I believe there were over 400 Diamond and D+ on board. We received out OBC on the second day. There was also a letter from Capt. Johnny with apologies for the changes and noting the amount of OBC we were getting and saying we would be getting a voucher for the $350 off the cabin price for booking MOS for a future Mexican Riviera cruise. Capt. Johnny is a very personable guy. We were offered a choice of D+ ship "tours". I chose the galley and don't advise anyone to do so. Didn't really get to see much and mostly couldn't hear the chef speaking. (We had a bridge tour on VOS, so didn't sign up for this one.) We were prepared for cold, rainy weather, so we were just happy for no rain in Astoria and Seattle, and only misting rain in Victoria. What a beautiful city! We just hired a cab driver to take us around the sights for an hour or so. Fortunately, we had sunny days on the last 2 days returning to LA. Not really warm, but sun beats clouds any day! Since I had packed some warm clothing, we were able to utilize our huge aft balcony. I even was out there at night! We enjoyed Mariner and look forward to cruising her again.

Thank-you for this. We are going on Mariner this Sunday and your information is very helpful for us. Too bad they have to use Dragon's Lair for the overflow - dark and no outside view. We loved the Hollywood Odyssey overflow on Serenade. That was a great venue.

Bob

Thanks so much for posting your review! We'll be boarding with Bob (Clarea) on Sunday and we haven't heard too much from those who've been re-routed on this new, temporary itinerary.

I'm just refusing to look at our ports on weather.com before we leave - I don't want anything foreshadowing our stops!

Nice review. Thanks so much. We are on the same sailing with Clarea and TexasAnn and have been eagerly awaiting reviews. I'm so glad you had a good trip.

Joni

Also just off the Mariner 5/10 cruise. Its 105* here today....I want the cooler temps back!!! :)

We thought the MDR menus were lacking variety.....however, trust me we didn't starve! Good food and service, we enjoyed the company of another AZ couple Terri and Jeff plus a couple from Scotland.

The first days were a bit rough, :D we were in the VCL and the waves from the pool were hitting deck 12 and we watched the crew tried to net the pool......it was like watching the 3 stooges. They would of been better off just jumping in...they were soaked! It took about an hour to net both pools.

During this time they had a craft session in the VCL ....this woman was so obnoxious and so degrading, it was like she was teaching kindergärtners! We were up there just enjoying the views and watching the 3 stooges net the pool when she arrived to give this class. If I was in that class I would of walked out.....Period!

We didn't get off in Astoria, the one and only gangway was too crowded and we had early dining reservations for Chops. We headed up to VCL to relax. Because this was the first time the Mariner to dock there, it made big news. They also had a big welcoming cermony with the Mayor, Councilmen, a Judge, and Dignitaries who all exchanged gifts with Captain Johnny and had quite a cermony.

The sun does shine in Seattle! It was cloudy and overcast in the AM, then some rain but turned out beautiful and sunny afternoon for sail away! We did the Needle, rode the momo rail and walked to Pikes Market.

Our feet still hurt. We caught the vendor that throws the fish! They have Customer Service that is second to none, thy have training films that are used all around the country....we had used that training in the hotel I worked for.....again, a lot can be leaned from this company! They do it right. While there at this booth, we witnessed a fight between two women. A knock down - hair pulling and kicking fight. Language that would curl a sailors hair! One of the fish booth workers tried to break it up, he ended up getting his arm twisted pretty bad. Finally security showed up and took them away. We heard that that the one who was doing all the fighting stole a tip jar from the other womans booth.

For anyone going on a PNW cruise....great itinerary. Go with layers, don't forget your umbrellas and rain ponchos (99 cents store) Expect some cool to cold weather, some fog and maybe a bit of rocking and rolling.

No problem getting a chair around the pool.....a few brave souls here and there the first day....but much better the last 2 days.

This was a great cruise, met some great people and Capt Johnny is a hoot! First time we sailed with him, look foreword to that again! :)

Just performing a public service. Nice review. :)

39 august wrote:

The Mariner is quite beautiful, which I expected as we have cruised her sister Navigator 5 times. Since I really booked this cruise for the ship, I wasn't concerned about the itinerary change. The crew was so friendly and service was very prompt in the WJ, more so than other ships we have sailed.

MTD service was spotty, but we surely liked having flexible dining times. Our first 3 nights, the service was quick and efficient, but we had little interaction with our waitstaff, and of course, the 2 top tables are only about 4 inches apart in many areas of the dining room on 5. We met a couple on the first formal night who were seated near us, and we decided to meet the next night and dine together at a table for 4. We just advised the head waiter ( a great guy who was very visable every night) and we were accomodated.

The next night we dined at Portofino, so we had advised our table mates that we would not see them that evening. My seafood skewer was the best that I have had so far (after 4 dinners on different ships) with a nice sized portion of lobster. However, my husband's steak was the worst he has ever had, including any from the dining room. It was not only over-cooked, but tasted off. He should have sent it back, but he didn't. I would have.

Next night in the MTD, we arrived a bit earlier than our usual 6:30 and were led to a table overlooking the rail right in front of the chandalier that was NOT crowded up to other tables. It was a great table and we reserved it for the rest of the cruise. The waiter was very personable but not nearly as efficient as our first waiter. Tho' it's not perfect, I believe we will continue to use MTD. BTW, we were out of the dining room in an hour and a half nearly every night.

I greatly enjoyed Ian in the pub and the "Pure Energy" show as the cast is really talented. Didn't care for the magic show, but that is just me. Besides, I think they disenbarked upon our return.

We had lunch in the dining room twice. What a great salad bar!! And the waitstaff were very attuned to getting you in and out in a timely fashion. The pasta dish and the Moroccan lamb pita were very good, however, the quiche was tastless.

We had the "old" Diamond coupon books, so we had the free photo, free drink, free JR's and free Ben & Jerry's. I also enjoyed the Vintages coupon for buy 1 glass of wine and get a second for 75% off of the same price or higher. That way I got 2 glasses of very good wine for about $.40 less that if I'd had 2 glasses of La Terrible.

The CL was very crowded even tho' an overflow lounge was available each evening in the Dragon's Lair. Not my favorite place as it is dark and gloomy, but the hors d'ouvres (sp?) were better there than in the CL. I believe there were over 400 Diamond and D+ on board.

We received our OBC on the second day. There was also a letter from Capt. Johnny with apologies for the changes and noting the amount of OBC we were getting and saying we would be getting a voucher for the $350 off the cabin price for booking MOS for a future Mexican Riviera cruise.

Capt. Johnny is a very personable guy. We were offered a choice of D+ ship "tours". I chose the galley and don't advise anyone to do so. Didn't really get to see much and mostly couldn't hear the chef speaking. (We had a bridge tour on VOS, so didn't sign up for this one.)

We were prepared for cold, rainy weather, so we were just happy for no rain in Astoria and Seattle, and only misting rain in Victoria. What a beautiful city! We just hired a cab driver to take us around the sights for an hour or so.

Fortunately, we had sunny days on the last 2 days returning to LA. Not really warm, but sun beats clouds any day! Since I had packed some warm clothing, we were able to utilize our huge aft balcony. I even was out there at night!

We enjoyed Mariner and look forward to cruising her again.

well i have to say its nice to hear a positive comment on the revised mariner cruises:)

we were on mariner, in corner aft 7388 in april, just a week or 2 before the swine nightmares , and i have to say i agree with most everything you said :D

love the ship , had a spectacular time , tried mtd , portofino , etc....i didnt care for portofino, but loved chops big time:cool:

thank you for review

dave

Great reviews!

Diamond in AZ, can you tell me more info about your trip to the needle and back to the market? (how you got there, route, if you walked, etc...)

Thanks, in advance for the info. I appreciate it. Here's my email, if that works better for you.

iflewjets@yahoo.com (notice the past tense vs. my screen name on CC)

Great reviews!

Diamond in AZ, can you tell me more info about your trip to the needle and back to the market? (how you got there, route, if you walked, etc...)

Thanks, in advance for the info. I appreciate it. Here's my email, if that works better for you.

iflewjets@yahoo.com (notice the past tense vs. my screen name on CC)

We docked at pier 91 and RC provided complimentary buses to the needle and monorail. (Its the EMP.....we skipped that) Easy to get around there

Once we got off the monorail you're at the mall.....then you walk to Pikes Market....5 or 6 blocks. It was quite a hike with one good down/up hill challenge getting there. :eek: We were exhusted and our feet still hurt.....don't wear new shoes on this day!!!! :eek:

I have to concur with 39august and Diamond Cruisers in AZ.

I love the itinerary, even the cool weather...(it's HOT here, too.......)

The first two sea days were rough and it was foggy the first day.

I did get a great shot of water splashing out of the netted pools.... (but missed the 3 Stooges).......maybe it could have doubled as a Flowrider that day. Wish I could post the picture here.

The last sea days back were sunny and warm enough for me to finally get to use my balcony... I even got a little sunburned.

I found the crew to be most friendly and accomodating. Our table was an 8 top, and we had some great tablemates. Our server, Cristina, was quite charming and had a great sense of humor. I thought the food was good, some things more than others, and my steak was always prepared perfectly. Trust me, I did not starve..

My JS center hump cabin was awesome. There was more space than I thought there would be. Interesting view from the balcony, to say the least. Loved the walk-in closet and having a bathtub, despite that friendly shower curtain.

In Victoria, we only had time to see Butchart Gardens. It was drizzly, but they provided umbrellas. That is the one thing I did not want to miss while there. By the time we were through, however, we had to wait well over an hour in the rain and cold until the last bus came. We just had the driver take us back to the ship, as we were all cold and tired. I really had planned to go back into town to see the sights there, but I guess I will have to take another trip up. :D

In Seattle, we did pretty much what everyone else did....took the bus to the Space Needle, the monorail to the mall, and hoofed it over to Pike's Market Place.

Would I do this trip again..? In a heartbeat! I hope RCI is looking into this itinerary for summer cruises. JMHO...

Great cruise, great ship, great CCers........loved it all!!!

Hello - Was on the same cruise 05/10/2009 and I must say that I'm feeling very depressed today because I want back on the ship. I have to say that I was not looking forward to the itenerary change but what lacked in the itenarary the ships crew made up with great customer service. I will be writing a review very soon with more detail to explain the pro's and to me the lack of cons...actually the only cons I hade where the people complaining on the ship...which I don't get because your on a cruise on a beautiful ship.

If anybody has any specific questions let me know.

Merion Mom, I sure wish I had scrolled down before reading the OP's post, my eyes still feel crossed trying to read it :rolleyes:

The review was a good one even though it was difficult to read.

To the OP, please take note and start using paragraph breaks :o!

I would love to cruise on this itinerary!!!

Merion Mom, I sure wish I had scrolled down before reading the OP's post, my eyes still feel crossed trying to read it :rolleyes:

The review was a good one even though it was difficult to read.

To the OP, please take note and start using paragraph breaks :o!

I would love to cruise on this itinerary!!!

Hi Kathy!

You'd love to cruise this itinerary because you don't live here, LOL!:p;)

39August, thanks for taking the time to write your review. I'm on the 5/31 trip.

On your comment: "table overlooking the rail right in front of the chandalier that was NOT crowded up to other tables". Was this a 4 or 2 top? If 2 top, do you recall the table number? Thanks in advance.

Thank you, Diamond, for the info.:) We can walk a bit, but not over much over a couple of miles. DH just gets to pooped out. Glad to hear RCCL had a bus for the first part. WE are meeting a friend for part of the day, so perhaps we'll arrange for later in the day and talk him into giving us a ride back to the pier to avoid the "up and down" wlak back you described.

Thanks, again. We're from Florida (DH is a native of the SF area) and been on the Mariner, so this will be a different itinerary for us. Just a chance to get away and hopefully relax.

Great review, good information throughout.

One question: I can't seem to find any photos or information on the "Dragon's Lair" area that you reference as accommodating the overflow from the Crown Lounge. Can anyone help me find it on a floorplan or direct me to photos?

Great review, good information throughout.

One question: I can't seem to find any photos or information on the "Dragon's Lair" area that you reference as accommodating the overflow from the Crown Lounge. Can anyone help me find it on a floorplan or direct me to photos?

The Dragon's Lair is the nightclub, which covers 2 levels on decks 4 and 3. You can enter the Lair from off of the Schooner Bar on deck 4, but when it is used as the Diamond Lounge, you can only enter through deck 3.

The Dragon's Lair is the nightclub, which covers 2 levels on decks 4 and 3. You can enter the Lair from off of the Schooner Bar on deck 4, but when it is used as the Diamond Lounge, you can only enter through deck 3.

Think I must be mistaking some of the terminology here. In his original review, 39August said Dragon's Lair took the overflow from "CL" which I took as being shorthand for "Crown Lounge." But that can't be the case since it's up on deck 14.

So what is "CL"?

Archived