Has anyone bought a watch on the ship?

Hey everyone. I am about to go on the enchantment and I am thinking about purchasing a watch in one of the shops on the ship, I saw a certain watch on my cruise a couple of weeks ago. What i was wondering was is if the prices are really a deal or if you found a better deal in one of the ports. I am stopping in Cozumel and in Grand Cayman. Thanks

I saw a watch on Freedom that I really liked. It was around $200. Someone told me to wait, that I could find it cheaper at home. Came home and found the exact watch at Macy's for $130. Save your money and buy one at home. If you find one you like, Amazon is a great place to find it cheaper.

Hey everyone. I am about to go on the enchantment and I am thinking about purchasing a watch in one of the shops on the ship, I saw a certain watch on my cruise a couple of weeks ago. What i was wondering was is if the prices are really a deal or if you found a better deal in one of the ports. I am stopping in Cozumel and in Grand Cayman. Thanks

Shopped a deal on the ship one sailing, checked it in ports as well, back on ship again a few weeks later and did the deal since it was a good price. Nice Citizen watch to use as a second watch.

My husband bought me a watch on Mariner last year and the price was comparable to what we saw in St. Thomas & St. Martin , but there, they will work with you on price. On the ship, I did have a feeling of knowing where I bought the watch and that they would stand behind it.

my

I bought a watch on NOS in 2005, which is still going strong and I got a good deal compared to those in ports and here in the UK. The staff even adjusted the strap by taking the links out for me in record time so I could wear it that evening. I feel I got a more personal and less pressurised service onboard than in port.

I bought another watch in Montego Bay in 2006, and although still working, the battery gave up after 1 month, so paying for a replacement so soon afterwards reduced the good price I got.

I know many will have got good deals in ports but our only experience was with a pair of designer expensive sunglasses which have since fallen apart!

I bought a nice Citizen EcoDrive watch on the Mariner in February. I've checked around the stores here in Sacramento. I haven't found any watch I liked better, and the comparable Citizen watches (even the ones with batteries) are more. I'm happy with my purchase!

My son and I both bought inexpensive watches (Fossil) a few years ago. I saw one similar after I returned home and it was a few $ more than I paid. So I saved a bit, plus tax.

But again, it wasn't an expensive watch to begin with, so I wasn't concerned with the price, or whether I was getting a deal on it.

Just like with any purchases you would consider while traveling, it's important to know your prices at home before making any purchase. The great "deals" of years ago really do not exist any longer, in my opinion. That said, when we were on the Enchantment in '07, my friend purchased a Fossil watch for her daughter, and paid around $65 for it. The daughter decided she didn't like it, and went to the Fossil store at her local mall and they exchanged it for her, and gave her the benefit of a higher price than what my friend paid for it. So, in that sense, she really did get a pretty good deal!

Karen

I was looking at a Citizen's Eco Drive when we were on Mariner. I was able to find it on both St. Maarten and St. Thomas for well below what they wanted for it on Mariner. And after a little bargaining, I got it for substantially below the price on Mariner. And I have not been able to find it priced here in the States, or on the internet, for even close to what I paid for it.

As stated above, the key for watches or any other products on the ship is to know your prices. I would not recommend spur of the moment purchases aboard ship unless it is something you just have to have [like a new camera when yours goes belly up].

The products I know I have typically found prices on board to be sifnificantly higher, even when you factor in the duty free and no sales tax thingy.

Like most have said, do your homework. I found a watch I liked but didn't know if it was a good price (didn't really expect it to be a bargain). We had another cruise booked so decided to wait and do some checking around. I got all the information I needed and researched it when I got home.

The price was basically the same as the ship on all the websites I looked at. I had decided to buy it on ship the next cruise and then wandered to overstock and found it for 50% off. Needless to say, I was happy. So, just don't go in blindly.

It depends on the watch. A friend of mine is a jeweler and he said about 75% of the watches are much better deals than you can get in the US, but some are not. What I do is look at the watches I'm interested in, take down the model number and then I go to the internet cafe and google it (fast, time is money!) and check out a few different outlets. Make sure you have the right model number because the # of diamonds or gems can change the price. Don't forget to check and factor in tax and shipping for whatever you're shopping for (my watch wasn't taxable online or onboard).

I saved about $220 on a Citizen Eco-Drive and I haven't found it cheaper since I bought it last year. I agree, they also stand behind the watch, whereas when you buy online the same backing isn't always there. That said, the Tag Heuer was also a rip off onboard.

I have noticed that the ship prices for things I'm interested in are always in line with the best deal on the same thing on-shore (which would make sense given their price guarantee).

We have bought two Citizen watches and my wife loves both. We waited untill the last few days of the cruise and many watches were half price of what they were earlier in the cruise. Both watches are still working fine after several years. I think we paid around $65 per watch.

My husband has purchased two watches on board ships -- Costa and Carnival.

I've purchased one on a NCL ship.

I won a watch on Explorer OTS in 2001 and it's still going fine!

My hubby bought me a Citizen Eco-Drive on a Carnival cruise. When he gave it to me I thought, "Oh my Lord!" Thought he probably paid way too much for it. But I have looked since I got home and it was cheaper on the ship. Now I can't say every purchase is but in this case it was.

I agree with Lis36... if you see a nice watch that you'd like to buy on the ship, I think it's worth the time and money to go over to the internet cafe and research it a bit before you purchase.

Always fun to browse and buy on board. Never huge bargains though.

I actually got a watch free once!!

Bought a watch onboard a few years ago and it didn't work properly. I think an Anne Klein, not expensive - about $65. So e-mailed Miami and they just messed around, as I didn't have the correct receipt, just the bill from onboard. The numbers they wanted, I didn't have. Went backwards and forwards with e-mails and by that time we were on another cruisey!! So I went to see the Manager and showed her the e-mails and she just exchanged the watch. I was impressed with her - showed good judgement IMHO!! I was getting irritated by then and glad to get rid of the problem. Got a Guess instead - great everyday watch, similar price - very pleased with it. No bargain, but fun to buy onboard.

Would you believe, about three months later a credit appears on my creditcard bill for $65. Puzzled as what it was for - and then realisation dawned. E-mailed again. No reply. Tried again - no reply. Tried 'phoning - passed from person to person, so gave up. Never heard anything again to this day!!! My conscience is clear - they clearly didn't want to deal with it!!!!

I bought a watch on Enchantment of Seas in September 2005. It was a pretty good deal and more importantly, it was a nice watch that I wanted/liked when I saw it onboard. I still have/wear my watch and think I got a good deal.

I would not expect rock bottom/steals for items onboard, but if there is a watch you like, the good news, nowdays, is you can get on the internet and do a google search to see if the price is fair/reasonable. Another plus to onboard shopping vs foreign port shopping is if you need to return/have a problem. I think I would rather take my chances dealing with RCL than a retailer in a foreign port all other things being equal like price. No guarantee with either, just my choice of who I would want to deal with if ever needed.

Have a great cruise and enjoy shopping! :)

I bought a watch on Enchantment of Seas in September 2005. It was a pretty good deal and more importantly, it was a nice watch that I wanted/liked when I saw it onboard. I still have/wear my watch and think I got a good deal.

I would not expect rock bottom/steals for items onboard, but if there is a watch you like, the good news, nowdays, is you can get on the internet and do a google search to see if the price is fair/reasonable. Another plus to onboard shopping vs foreign port shopping is if you need to return/have a problem. I think I would rather take my chances dealing with RCL than a retailer in a foreign port all other things being equal like price. No guarantee with either, just my choice of who I would want to deal with if ever needed.

Have a great cruise and enjoy shopping! :)

If you have a problem with with a name brand watch like Citizen you are going to end up dealing with Citizen and their warranty. Any reputable dealer in the Carribean is going to fill out the proper warranty paperwork when you make the purchase.

I bought a Citizen Eco Dirve watch on the Splendor of the Seas in 2002 and it still runs fine. It had the claspe replaced this year on it. I bought it for around 175.00. it has diamonds around the face and oyster pearl face and it's 18 carat gold. Well, learned that the band was worth 100.00 now and thee whole watch is 335.00!!! So, yes I got a deal. I's the beast watch I've ever owned. However, the prices ont he ships today may be different. I've never found a watch like it so I'm happy.

Never bought a watch on a ship, but several years ago I bought a watch from a fella standing in Times Square while we were on the way to a show! He had a bunch of them on his arm. Didn't pay too much and it still works. As a matter of fact I wore it in the Main Dining Room last February on so-called formal night. I hope that no one finds out that I also wear it when I am mowing the lawn!;)

Archived