Has anyone bought a watch on the ship?

The last watch I bought on the ship was around $25. I When back home and visiting my mother, she pointed out my watch and said that she recently bought the exact watch for about 3 times as much! To date, I have bought three watches from a cruiseline and all have worked great, and at fantastic prices!

After ruining my (cheap) watch snorkeling, I bought an inexpensive Anne Klein watch on board at "50% off." It was about $60. They would not take out a link when asked; I paid a jeweler to do this on shore, later.

The watch has worked just fine for 3 years, so I'm happy with it; however, shortly after purchasing it, I saw the exact same watch at Ross for $30.

I guess it all depends on the brand you are buying.

Jan

My hubby bought a gorgeous Citizens watch 2 years ago. We found it at home and it was almost double the price!:eek: He was so happy that he bought it onboard.

We also saw a divers watch I believe it was in St. Marteen and he kicked himself afterwards because it was so expensive we couldn't afford it back in the states.

After ruining my (cheap) watch snorkeling, I bought an inexpensive Anne Klein watch on board at "50% off." It was about $60. They would not take out a link when asked; I paid a jeweler to do this on shore, later.

Jan

Now this really surprises me! I have had links taken out of each of my watches.

We've found buying those CHEAP $10-$15-$25 watches on the ship are perfect for wearing in port and taking in our beach bag on shore excursions. :)

Often it will last for years and years. When it quits, we just buy a new one. :rolleyes:

Can you buy watches with RCCL logo on them, on board?

Are they expensive?

Yes you can In feb on Indy I bought a gucci watch with diamonds.....didn't really check on shore for the same model, so i am not sure if I could have bought it for less, I'm almost certain that you could buy for less on the islands as you can barter.....That being said I will never buy expensive jewellery onboard again......my purchase put me over on my duty free allowance, and had to report to the naughty room to face us customs......If I had bought it on land, that would not have been an issue.......They complain about the economy and when you spend money, they penalize you for it......go figure......Save yourself the hassel.....buy elswhere.

Don't buy the watch on the ship because they will hit you with U.S. Customs tax. Go to a reputable company in port.

I don't understand. I thought anything you purchased onboard was duty free, and tax free too. :confused:

We were on a Holland America cruise last December. My partner had been eyeing a Burberry watch on board. I told him we might find the same watch when we dock in St Thomas. We went through many shops looking for that watch. A sales clerk at one store that sold Burberry said it was common for Burberry (and some other brands) to only offer some styles in a few places, such as cruise ships. When we got back on board he got the watch. When we got home I stopped by our local Burberry shop and showed them the watch. They had never seen that style and but also said not every Burberry has the same things. So we felt good that he got a style that wasn't as common as the others, plus each time he looks at the watch he is reminded of the cruise and that it came from someplace special, and not the local mall.

Hubby own $$$ on the slot and bought me a ring on board, once home I put my hand in my purse and the stone fell out, so while living in Miami I returned it to the office here in Miami and got my $$ back. Just in time to pay for my fuel pump!

Funny all this talk about watches, I didn't think people wore them anymore with all these cellphones and Iphones!

The fact that they make you show up at 6:00 a.m. is almost worse than having to pay the tax. :)

Yes you can In feb on Indy I bought a gucci watch with diamonds.....didn't really check on shore for the same model, so i am not sure if I could have bought it for less, I'm almost certain that you could buy for less on the islands as you can barter.....That being said I will never buy expensive jewellery onboard again......my purchase put me over on my duty free allowance, and had to report to the naughty room to face us customs......If I had bought it on land, that would not have been an issue.......They complain about the economy and when you spend money, they penalize you for it......go figure......Save yourself the hassel.....buy elswhere.

They only want you to spend when they get their cut on it.:rolleyes:

Now this really surprises me! I have had links taken out of each of my watches.

I was a little surprised too; in fact, the salesperson acted like my request was very unusual! They weren't busy, either, so it wasn't that she was just pressed for time. Oh well.

Maybe they only do this with more expensive watches; mine was only $60.

Jan

Hey everyone. I am about to go on the enchantment and I am thinking about purchasing a watch in one of the shops on the ship, I saw a certain watch on my cruise a couple of weeks ago. What i was wondering was is if the prices are really a deal or if you found a better deal in one of the ports. I am stopping in Cozumel and in Grand Cayman. Thanks

Before you purchase anything on the ship be sure to jump on the internet and figure out how much it is on dry land.

Access to the internet will be extremely cheap in any port of call and it will really only take you 15 minutes to research. The watch will be available all week long.

For example - the cameras are NOT cheaper on board. A quick internet search whine on your vacation will show that it is cheaper to NOT purchase a camera while you are cruising.

Happy Sailing!

Both I and my husband bought Citizen Eco-drive watches, the second for both of us, on the Rhapsody last year in Alaska. I just checked on line and we both saved 45% and we love the watches. Oh and we bought them on the last day cause we had time to kill, hadn't really looked before.

When we were on our first Carnival cruise, I bought a Tag Heuer. The price was about 30% cheaper than on land, and by buying on the ship, I knew it was a real Tag.

my wife bought me a Tag on the mariner several years ago. price was about the same on the internet. but she did not pay tax or shipping. plus it was a nice present that night

Archived